or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day

Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day

post #1 of 49
Initial demand for the Verizon iPhone is strong, as Apple and Verizon both appear to have run out of pre-sale stock of the new CDMA iPhone and are directing customers to wait until Feb. 9 to purchase the device online or Feb. 10 for in-store purchases.

Preorders for the Verizon iPhone began at 3 a.m. Eastern on Thursday, but only for existing Verizon customers. Initial interest appeared heavy, as some customers reported difficulty accessing the Verizon website.

Though it is unclear exactly how many units were offered during Wednesday's preorder, Apple and Verizon have stopped taking orders for the device. Customers interested in purchasing the iPhone 4 on Verizon are directed log back on to either the Verizon or Apple website starting at 3:01 a.m. Eastern on Feb. 9. Retail stores will begin offering the handset at 7 a.m. on Feb. 10.

AppleInsider reported earlier this week that Verizon had sent out a companywide email urging employees not to purchase the iPhone for themselves or their families. "Demand will be unprecedented," wrote Chief Operating Officer John Stratton.

The carrier has asserted that the launch of the iPhone will be flawlessly executed, but has expressed concern that initial supply of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 may be limited.

Verizon has begun airing a new advertisement for the iPhone 4, featuring the "Verizon Guy," actor Paul Marcarelli. Displaying dramatic closeups of the iPhone 4, a voice-over says, ""It's beautiful. It's intelligent, even genius. But does your network work?" The phone rings and Marcarelli answers: "Yes, I can hear you now," in an apparent jab at AT&T's notoriously poor coverage.

The first Verizon ad for the iPhone 4 was a teaser, depicting clocks ticking and people waiting without ever showing the actual device. Apple has also released a TV spot for the Verizon iPhone 4, though it promotes AT&T as well by noting that "two is better than one."
post #2 of 49
Maybe AAPL will start to go to where it should be soon!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #3 of 49
This mirrors the ATT launch last June - almost exactly. Wonder what the pre-order numbers were, compared to ATT last year? When I ordered mine at the ATT local store then, it was already sold out online, but the ATT store got my order in the system by 1pm that day, just before they had to stop taking in store orders. Mine was delivered by mail the day before the official launch a week later, even though they warned that it may take longer than 10-14 days to ship. Apple's experience certainly helped Verizon in what to expect, and I would imagine the long lines will be in place next week, similar to the ATT launch.

Even though this is a peculiar situation, it will be interesting to compare numbers of Verizon iP4's sold, compared with those sold during the "normal" launch date of June last year on ATT, even though you would expect it to be lower on Verizon, since many will choose to wait until June for iP5, or perhaps it will be adjusted by switchers from ATT (I would expect many less would switch from ATT, since waiting until June for the iP5 makes more sense, just to see the experience on the Verizon network by "real users" in substantial numbers (read millions), not basing information solely on privileged commentators who tested the units before launch under less-than-real-world conditions.

Gee, where's Consumer Reports to say that "a pox be on both houses", and that we should all ignore the top two smartphones in their ratings, which will both be iP4's of course.

Any bets here on numbers of units sold in the first full month?
post #4 of 49
I've tried to order since midnight, even had a Verizon Cust Svc Rep enter the billing and shipping addresses with me, only to find it was a widespread problem under master ticket # S0862619. And now the pre-order is over. So if Verizon can't even take orders on their web site, and they refuse to take orders via phone, it does not bode well for Verizon's ability to handle the iPhone.
post #5 of 49
The ending of the new ad cracked me up..
post #6 of 49
So far Verizon is Not doing much better than ATT. Wait till next week.I don't think weve seen anything yet!
Verizons been practicing for 3 years getting ready for that 'flawless' execution.
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post

I've tried to order since midnight, even had a Verizon Cust Svc Rep enter the billing and shipping addresses with me, only to find it was a widespread problem under master ticket # S0862619. And now the pre-order is over. So if Verizon can't even take orders on their web site, and they refuse to take orders via phone, it does not bode well for Verizon's ability to handle the iPhone.

Could you order one directly from the Verizon store in person, similar to what ATT provided last June during the pre-order period, or were they prevented from taking online orders in the stores?
post #8 of 49
Received email from Verizon at 9:15 CST that my iPhone 4 had shipped via UPS. No tracking info available when I last checked.
post #9 of 49
Après iP4, le deluge.

They have no clue!
post #10 of 49
Whoever it was who predicted the number of hours it would take to sell out, should step forward and pound their chest and do an end-zone dance.
post #11 of 49
Great commercial!

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #12 of 49
The sun rises in the east.
post #13 of 49
Any guesses how many were allocated for pre-order?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Initial demand for the Verizon iPhone is strong, ....

Preorders for the Verizon iPhone began at 3 a.m. Eastern on Thursday, but only for existing Verizon customers. Initial interest appeared heavy, as some customers reported difficulty accessing the Verizon website.

Verizon has begun airing a new advertisement for the iPhone 4, featuring the "Verizon Guy," actor Paul Marcarelli. Displaying dramatic closeups of the iPhone 4, a voice-over says, ""It's beautiful. It's intelligent, even genius. But does your network work?" The phone rings and Marcarelli answers: "Yes, I can hear you now," in an apparent jab at AT&T's notoriously poor coverage.

The first Verizon ad for the iPhone 4 was a teaser, depicting clocks ticking and people waiting without ever showing the actual device. Apple has also released a TV spot for the Verizon iPhone 4, though it promotes AT&T as well by noting that "two is better than one."

When ThinkSecret and Appleinsider got into trouble by the big AAPL a few years ago, one rumor sight disappeared and the other did not. Since then, the content of ai always seems to verge from the hysterical apple fan (which is fine) to the programmed PR piece.

What reporting is in this story other than disseminating designed hype and reminding of Big red advertising? ("sold out"!!(?) - how bout try who? what? where? when? why?)
Further, The Leaks that do come out of ai are now front page and string along AAPL timelines - as opposed to buried in the forums somewhere and removed after lawyers say so.

AAPL's "we do not comment on future products" is red herring re their communication stradegy - and this site is evidence of that.

Seems to be a very cleanly designed agreement going on about what to report and when - oh and please chew up google please - to let get everyone ready for the next reality distortion field.

Or I'm just getting old and cranky for the good old days of undisclosed spy shots and pull down notices.
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #15 of 49
This people is why an iPhone on "Dinosaur" CDMA tech is a good idea. With 95 million customers, if Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world.
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Or I'm just getting old and cranky for the good old days of undisclosed spy shots and pull down notices.

After Gizmodo Chen, that side of the business has moved to Asia. (Just as the serious political leaks business has moved to Europe).

You've got a long 'cranky' coming!
post #17 of 49
AT&T has not been that bad in my area for one thing. I'm in a valley that's blocked so I got the MicroCell tower in my home and it works well.

AT&T service should greatly improve even further if a lot of people bail out from them to go to Verizon. Suddenly AT&T will be much snappier as a result of this.
post #18 of 49
ha!
post #19 of 49
Oops ...

Quote:
My mind is just boggling. Far from scoring a coup, Verizon may have just bought the biggest bag of substanceless hype and wind Steve Jobs has ever peddled while AT&T snickers behind its hand. The iPhone brand is in worse shape than I thought was even possible. And the implications of that are huge.

First: We can expect Verizons iPhone sales to be anemic. A bit of arithmetic applied to this chart tells us Verizon has been churning about 93M * 1.42% * 3 = 396K customers a quarter about the same as that deadly 400K. The smart way to bet is that most of Verizons potential Apple customers decamped to AT&T long ago and are part of that 90% saturation.

Second: Anybody betting their dollars or reputation that Apples superior user experience would guarantee it perpetually increasing market share just took it on the chin, hard. AT&Ts CEO has just told us as plainly as a CEO ever does that that theory is busted. AT&Ts bet is on Android now.

Third: The iPhone is in deep trouble. 4.1 million activations looks like a lot, but any product manager will tell you that in a market moving as fast as smartphones, a product with less that 10% new customers in a quarter is usually only a few quarters from market share decline. Comparing this to the 600% quarter-over-quarter growth rates Android has been posting just doesnt look good.

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2898
post #20 of 49
I guess it's a good thing I ordered mine at 3 am. Now maybe I'll get it before the 10th
post #21 of 49
Apple meet orange. Os to os device to device. Name one android device or flavor that has outsold iPhone or iOS.
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Any guesses how many were allocated for pre-order?

They aren't saying how many. Why? because it's an unimpressive number and I'm sure this was the planned response in an attempt to generate hype.

Why would they not accept more pre-orders when they claim there will be stock in a week. Makes no sense other than an attempt to inflate demand.
post #23 of 49
Ouch! That's gotta hurt right there.

On the side note, the Verizon dude put some weight or what?
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Oops ...

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2898

Heh, yeah and just in case you thought the writer might not be totally incompetent, he says this:

"
Quote:
UPDATE: The article allows us to total up AT&T iOS activations (counting iPads) at about 4.5M for the quarter. Google says it’s activating Android devices at a rate of 200K * 90 = 18M per quarter. Conclusion: Android is outrunning iOS at a 4:1 ratio.

UPDATE2: UPDATE was incorrect. First, turns out it’s 300K or 24M Android devices per quarter, but that’s a worldwide number rather than a U.S. one. So to compute the actual ratio we need to know the percentage of Android sales going overseas. If it’s 33% or less – which seems likely based on press reports of “more limited” overseas sales – 4:1 or more is still right.

"

I'm not sure why he sees value in comparing Google's worldwide activations to Apple's ATT-only activations, but he does. Hey as long as he thinks he's proven something!

There is one thing where he makes a good point, but he then jumps to a bad conclusion from it. Apple is just about out of "switchers" in the USA. There aren't many more people willing or able to switch to ATT just for the iPhone. His conclusion drawn from that fact is that the iPhone is no longer capable of drawing switchers, anywhere. I think that when we compare Verizon to ATT iPhone activations in 3 months, we'll find out that Verizon got a seriously large number of switchers back from ATT. These aren't people jumping ship for Android. They are people who have been holding their noses with Android, or with ATT, just to use the iPhone. The prospect of an iPhone on a carrier they like better will cause them to switch in huge numbers again.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

They aren't saying how many. Why? because it's an unimpressive number and I'm sure this was the planned response in an attempt to generate hype.

Why would they not accept more pre-orders when they claim there will be stock in a week. Makes no sense other than an attempt to inflate demand.

Yeah, and Apple has clearly shown over the last 4 years that THAT doesn't work
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Yeah, he got fat. Too many paychecks went to extra helpings of pudding.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #27 of 49
Quote:

Camera adds 10lbs or so..
post #28 of 49
I hope they have enough iPhones or else...

http://wulffmorgenthaler.com/strip/2011/02/03/world+war
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

This people is why an iPhone on "Dinosaur" CDMA tech is a good idea. With 95 million customers, if Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world.

Good observation, Ben. I never looked at it that way. 11th. It is going to be really interesting to see how this unfolds. Certainly, a good start to have sold out all the pre-orders. I realize we don't know that number yet. But has to be better than the way the Galaxy numbers were presented recently.

I would guess that 20% of the current Verizon subscribers will buy an iP4 this year. Just a guess! Apple wins, again! Poor RIM.

Best
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, he got fat. Too many paychecks went to extra helpings of pudding.

I think his stage name is "pudd'n"

PS. I'd like to see all the AI posters "man-up" who said Apple will never do a CDMA iPhone for Verizon! If Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world!
post #31 of 49
Again, CrapDroid doesn't LMAOL
who wanna buy a wanna be iphone when you can have a real deal. Crapdroid will always be crap. Customers vote with their wallets, not the stupid crapfandroid mouth hahahhahahahaha

"Apple sells premium products at premium prices to premium customers." Cheapskates need not apply 

"Apple sells premium products at premium prices to premium customers." Cheapskates need not apply 

post #32 of 49
Once again, Apple comes ahead in this game. All those AT&T iPhone disgruntled customers are not going to line up with Verizon and buy this phone. Basically, Apple just double dipped :-) Nice Move!

Steve is no dummy! He didn't push AT&T very hard for their issues with dropped call or accessibility - From the get go and even through Antenna gate! Now you know why :-)
post #33 of 49
Quote:

I noticed too. Guess sitting on your duff will do that to you.

I can remember when he first started out he was a lean walking machine, going everywhere and every step or two would ask, "Can you hear me now? Good!"

Maybe he should get a job at ATT. With everybody touting their lack of signal for calls, our chubby friend of yesteryear will be doing a lot of walking once again only this time he won't be checking the signal. He'll be trying to find one!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I noticed too. Guess sitting on your duff will do that to you.

I can remember when he first started out he was a lean walking machine, going everywhere and every step or two would ask, "Can you hear me now? Good!"

Maybe he should get a job at ATT. With everybody touting their lack of signal for calls, our chubby friend of yesteryear will be doing a lot of walking once again only this time he won't be checking the signal. He'll be trying to find one!

Yep, same question "Can you hear me now?" but he never gets an answer now, and starts doing ads for Jenny Craig "before: fat on Verizon, now: sveldt on ATT"
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So he's got three or four cameras on him, then....
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Where'd the other 20 come from? The pudding?
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Take it easy dude. The numbers have always been shattering again and again in the past so there is no reason to expect otherwise.

In order to avoid long lines and frustrated customers, Apple and VZ have to balance the ordering and registration process. No other phone gets the level of demand that the iPhone gets. Period.

Time will tell.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

So far Verizon is Not doing much better than ATT. Wait till next week.I don't think weve seen anything yet!
Verizons been practicing for 3 years getting ready for that 'flawless' execution.

That comment is just plain dumb. No company is going to spend tons of money to upgrade a web site just to handle a one time 12 to 24 hour hit.

Plus it has no effect on the wireless network which has been supporting a large number of Android phones for over a year. I think Verizon will do fine.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'd like to see all the AI posters "man-up" who said Apple will never do a CDMA iPhone for Verizon!

Won't happen, for the most part. The words "I was wrong" just aren't in the typical hardcore AIer's vocabulary. Arguing vehemently for the 'Apple spin of the moment' is. \

As a result, AI forums are consistently a motherload of such sage predictions as "Apple DOESN'T need to go multi-carrier in the US!", "Who needs pic messaging? Mobile email will have mostly replaced texting and pic messaging within two years anyway (<-- told to me two years ago)", "3G?? Who NEEDS it! (said when the iPhone was at 2.5G)", and, of course, the ever lovin' "Apple will NEVER do a CDMA iPhone. Trust me on this."

I think a lot of the wrong-ness stems from some ppl being just too eager to play the apologist/stick up for whatever Apple's doing at the moment... so whatever Apple says at the moment becomes the Hand of God™.

But Apple doesn't (always) have those kind of sacred cows, they improvise and adapt to the market when needed- eventually. They have to, or they'll get their head handed to them by others who do. The at-the-time justifications are often just marketing spin, not necessarily anything carved in stone.

So teh bold fan predictions, they keep on getting blown up by Apple themselves, the instant it's in Apple's best interest to do so. It's just funny to see history keep repeating itself, and some folks seemingly always being caught flat-footed by it. You'd think they'd learn by now.

AI forums... they're a wacky, wacky place. In a good way.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Actually the 12th after Mexico.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day