or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think his stage name is "pudd'n"

PS. I'd like to see all the AI posters "man-up" who said Apple will never do a CDMA iPhone for Verizon! If Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world!

I admit I didn't think and probably said Apple wouldn't do a 'lesser' iPhone. I was wrong. I guess even a slightly lesser iPhone is still streets ahead of anything else.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Won't happen, for the most part. The words "I was wrong" just aren't in the typical hardcore AIer's vocabulary. Arguing vehemently for the 'Apple spin of the moment' is. \

As a result, AI forums are consistently a motherload of such sage predictions as "Apple DOESN'T need to go multi-carrier in the US!", "Who needs pic messaging? Mobile email will have mostly replaced texting and pic messaging within two years anyway (<-- told to me two years ago)", "3G?? Who NEEDS it! (said when the iPhone was at 2.5G)", and, of course, the ever lovin' "Apple will NEVER do a CDMA iPhone. Trust me on this."



I think a lot of the wrong-ness stems from some ppl being just too eager to play the apologist/stick up for whatever Apple's doing at the moment... so whatever Apple says at the moment becomes the Hand of God.

But Apple doesn't (always) have those kind of sacred cows, they improvise and adapt to the market when needed- eventually. They have to, or they'll get their head handed to them by others who do. The at-the-time justifications are often just marketing spin, not necessarily anything carved in stone.

So teh bold fan predictions, they keep on getting blown up by Apple themselves, the instant it's in Apple's best interest to do so. It's just funny to see history keep repeating itself, and some folks seemingly always being caught flat-footed by it. You'd think they'd learn by now.

AI forums... they're a wacky, wacky place. In a good way.

I do recall a certain global mod of AI making very derogatory comments about a few of my very first ever posts on AI when I said I though one day Apple would see Microsoft in the rear view mirror. I was urged to get real and accept Apple was a minor player and I should just be happy with their niche role in technology.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #43 of 49
Verizon would give us the first phone for $199, but not the second. They want us to pay full price for the second line on our Family Share Plan. Who ever pays full price for a phone? Not very happy about this after Verizon saying we qualified.....
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Actually the 12th after Mexico.


Still quite impressive.

And I'd guess that with the significant influx of Verizon iPhone buyers from other carriers, VZ will hit 100 million users before too long... perhaps by year's end.
.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I do recall a certain global mod of AI making very derogatory comments about a few of my very first ever posts on AI when I said I though one day Apple would see Microsoft in the rear view mirror. I was urged to get real and accept Apple was a minor player and I should just be happy with their niche role in technology.


Yeah, I definitely took some shots early on here too. Don't understand the need some ppl feel to knock down newcomers... especially when sometimes the veteran poster or mod winds up being wrong and the 'newb' ends up being right. Go figure.

Maybe it's some sort of secret AI hazing ritual no one ever told me about.
.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I admit I didn't think and probably said Apple wouldn't do a 'lesser' iPhone. I was wrong. I guess even a slightly lesser iPhone is still streets ahead of anything else.


Wow. DC, you are that man who's big enough to admit when he's wrong. Props to you.
.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

They aren't saying how many. Why? because it's an unimpressive number and I'm sure this was the planned response in an attempt to generate hype.

Why would they not accept more pre-orders when they claim there will be stock in a week. Makes no sense other than an attempt to inflate demand.

These were ship to home orders only allowed to Verizon customers. That is why they are limiting them. Likely to the tune of 400-500k at most.

Apple wants folks to come to the stores to breathe in the koolaid air and hear the koolaid talk and try to win over more potential PC to Mac switchers. And Verizon wants there to be phones for potential ATT to V switchers. Heck they are offering trade ins to switchers, apparently scaled to cover the ATT ETF.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

These were ship to home orders only allowed to Verizon customers. That is why they are limiting them. Likely to the tune of 400-500k at most.

Apple wants folks to come to the stores to breathe in the koolaid air and hear the koolaid talk and try to win over more potential PC to Mac switchers. And Verizon wants there to be phones for potential ATT to V switchers. Heck they are offering trade ins to switchers, apparently scaled to cover the ATT ETF.

Seriously, you went for the koolaid comment? One of the key hallmarks of utter fail in posting commentary! Have you ever seen a launch? The folks in the Apple Stores are too busy to serve koolaid during launches I think your estimate of 400-500k is a bit low, but then I enjoy understatement. Of course Verizon knows the most about the iPhone - compared to the denizens of the Apple retail spots, or not. I've gotten some really interesting responses at the ATT and Verizon stores about what the iPhone does and does not do, compared to more informative and accurate answers in the "koolaid zone".
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Seriously, you went for the koolaid comment? One of the key hallmarks of utter fail in posting commentary! Have you ever seen a launch? The folks in the Apple Stores are too busy to serve koolaid during launches I think your estimate of 400-500k is a bit low, but then I enjoy understatement. Of course Verizon knows the most about the iPhone - compared to the denizens of the Apple retail spots, or not. I've gotten some really interesting responses at the ATT and Verizon stores about what the iPhone does and does not do, compared to more informative and accurate answers in the "koolaid zone".

If the rumor that there were 2M Verizon iPhones available for pre-order and the actual retail launch, 500k might not be outrageously low. They will start taking pre-orders again on the 9th which could amount to another 500k which would then leave a million to fill the channel (Apple stores, Verizon stores, Best Buy and Walmart) for actual launch.

We don't know how quickly we will see channel refill given that we are in the middle of the Chinese New Year break (although there were also rumors that Apple was paying to keep production rolling through the break).

Oh, and Apple would love for you to wander into one of their stores to buy that Verizon iPhone so that they have a shot of selling you a case or getting you interested in other Apple products. I don't think charlituna really meant any more than that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day