or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T working with Apple to enable iPhone Personal Hotspot tethering
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T working with Apple to enable iPhone Personal Hotspot tethering

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
While the Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi tethering feature of Apple's upcoming iOS 4.3 update for the iPhone will only be available where carriers support it, AT&T has confirmed that it is working with Apple to support the feature.

An AT&T spokesman stopped short of confirming to AppleInsider when Personal Hotspot is coming to AT&T customers. But the comment does provide more confirmation that AT&T intends to support the Wi-Fi tethering feature, which will allow users to wirelessly share their 3G data connection with other devices.

"All I can say at this time is that we're working with Apple," AT&T spokesman Seth Bloom said.

On Wednesday, AT&T revealed in a press release that it will expand its data cap for tethering customers to 4GB per month starting on Feb. 13, for the same $45-per-month total price. But the company said the capability will come to "select smartphone customers," and made no mention of the iPhone 4 or its Personal Hotspot feature expected to be introduced with iOS 4.3.

In his review of the Verizon iPhone 4, David Pogue of The New York Times initially stated that AT&T's iPhone would gain the Personal Hotspot feature on Feb. 13. The review was quickly revised to state that the carrier would get the feature "soon," but the date was removed.



AT&T first began to support tethering on the iPhone last June, but limitations in Apple's iOS mobile operating system only allowed the sharing of a 3G data connection over Bluetooth or USB. In addition, the iPhone could not be tethered with an iPad.

Verizon iPhone 4 users will get the Personal Hotspot feature when that handset launches on Feb. 10. Apple has also released a unique version of iOS, 4.2.6, exclusively for that CDMA-based handset.
post #2 of 27
This will be very useful and a much welcomed addition to the AT&T service as far as my family is concerned.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #3 of 27
I cant wait to see tethering comparisons. So far it seems the iPhone 4 can tether for 4 hours and has a great way of preserving by turning off tethering 90 seconds after the last device disconnects. So far, the results from other devices have been excessively power hungry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This will be very useful and a much welcomed addition to the AT&T service as far as my family is concerned.

I think this service obsoletes tablets with 3G connectivity for many users. 2GB on the iPad WiFi_3G is $25, or I can pay an extra $20 to get an additional 2GB that can be used for my phone,iPad or with WiFi-capable devices.
post #4 of 27
As to this feature I hope Apple has it configured to run as a background task. That is I want the ability to run another app on the iPhone while it is serving as a WiFi hot spot. Admittedly I haven't read a lot of reviews but I haven't seen clear comments on this ability.

As to AT&Ts charging for this I wish they would simply wake up and charge by the GB of data transferred. Ten dollars for every 2GB isn't to bad but 4GB would be better. With apps like the Daily coming bandwidth usage will become an issue. I may not personally buy into the daily but I can see other publications I might be interested in on a weekly or monthly basis. It would only take a couple of these to blow a 2GB data allotment. More importantly apps like these are likely to be used away from hotspots.

The other thing this does is put a twist in my iPad 2 plans. Originally the intent was simply to go with a 3G or hopefully 4G model and put up with two accounts. Now I have to think a bit more about this. A WiFi hotspots could be a cheaper way to a higher performance iPad2. Unless of course Apple continues to put the GPS chip on the 3G card. At onetime I actually thought about dropping the iPhone and going with a 3G iPad2.

With all of this noise with respect to the 13th, how many think that this is the date for iPad2? That would be a fantastic surprise.
post #5 of 27
Personal Hotspot already works great on the GSM iPhone on AT&T's network. After installing iOS 4.3 (I am a registered developer) I saw the Hotspot option, but it was disabled. I added tethering to my AT&T account and immediately the Hotspot option became available on the phone. Probably what AT&T means is that they're looking for a way to screw their customers with the new Personal Hotspot feature. It works way too well right now.

Looking forward to the 10th!
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I think this service obsoletes tablets with 3G connectivity for many users. 2GB on the iPad WiFi_3G is $25, or I can pay an extra $20 to get an additional 2GB that can be used for my phone,iPad or with WiFi-capable devices.

I'm not sure. If I buy iPad tomorrow I still choose 3G model. I don't want to drain my phone battery excessively. Beside only 3G model has GPS which is very handy in a lot of situation.
This feature will be great for some situation, not all.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm not sure. If I buy iPad tomorrow I still choose 3G model. I don't want to drain my phone battery excessively. Beside only 3G model has GPS which is very handy in a lot of situation.
This feature will be great for some situation, not all.

Oh, Im sure there are as many examples as people who would prefer and use the 3G model, hence my use of many not all. I just see the need for the 3G model being diminished with this new feature. I have yet to active the 3G on my iPad and couldnt get the GPS to function with the TomTom app when only using WiFi. Note: The TomTom app might not be able to understand the GPS chip since its an iPhone app, not Universal.
post #8 of 27
this would be great for families traveling, i keep my iphone plugged in the kids have touch's so this is a win, its the details and how many can connect also att could advertise this as a family bonus because all survey's have said att is faster with data than vz, so sharing a higher rate works better
also i still want to multitask for gps, vlingo, etc.

now for the cost and how it affects those with unlimited data, or will they be throttled down.
it seems as the 10th rolls closer and closer we hear more from att about appealing to customers

i like att, i want a great deal when i upgrade my tired 3g to iP4
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

now for the cost and how it affects those with unlimited data, or will they be throttled down.

To use the hot-spot, users with unlimited data will have to switch to the 2GB + hotspot plan. This is no different than it has ever been.

The moral is... if you have unlimited data, stick with a jailbroken method of implementing a hotspot or a hidden tethering app.
post #10 of 27
If history is repeated, at&t should be offering a hotspot feature sometime in 2012! And it won't be cheap!
post #11 of 27
AT&T will have to add a Personal Hotspot feature for the iPhone now that Verizon is doing it, and they will have to price it competitively.
post #12 of 27
I have been using hotspot for several weeks on AT&T with 4.3 beta with no issues. So how is this news?
post #13 of 27
It took them more than a year to support tethering on the iPhone and they were working with Apple back then.

Quote:
On Wednesday, AT&T revealed in a press release that it will expand its data cap for tethering customers to 4GB per month starting on Feb. 13, for the same $45-per-month total price.

Give me 4GB per month WITH Hotspot feature for $30/month then I will give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I have been using hotspot for several weeks on AT&T with 4.3 beta with no issues. So how is this news?

Don't be surprised if the hotspot feature disappeared from AT&T iPhones when the 4.3 is officially released.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

If history is repeated, at&t should be offering a hotspot feature sometime in 2012! And it won't be cheap!

If history repeats, AT&T will offer it shortly before or shortly after Verizon at basically the same price, as if they almost but didn't quite coordinate their offerings and pricing.
post #16 of 27
While this feature is most welcome for existing ATT iPhone users, its kinda pathetic that Verizon, who is just *now* offering the iPhone, can get it rolled out immediately while ATT, who've had the iPhone for *4 years*, is still yet to offer it to customers.

Its a pity its taken this long to get the iPhone on Verizon. ATT has done as much, or more, to hinder Apple and the iPhone platform as they have to promote it.
post #17 of 27
AT&T stating their commitment to the feature is an excellent development! That means it should be no more than 24 months before they follow through
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This will be very useful and a much welcomed addition to the AT&T service as far as my family is concerned.

And since my family takes the extra 4 seconds to jailbreak their phones an install MyWi, this will be a worthless addition that we fortunately will not waste money on.

We already pay $30 each for unlimited data. Not paying $20 more, each, for the same data.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

While this feature is most welcome for existing ATT iPhone users, its kinda pathetic that Verizon, who is just *now* offering the iPhone, can get it rolled out immediately while ATT, who've had the iPhone for *4 years*, is still yet to offer it to customers.

Its a pity its taken this long to get the iPhone on Verizon. ATT has done as much, or more, to hinder Apple and the iPhone platform as they have to promote it.

Seriously? How can you rationally blame this on AT&T? How many iPhone carriers around the world offer the official hotspot feature? Exactly 0 as of today. Why? Because APPLE has not includsed it in an official release yet.

The version of iOS that APPLE is shipping with the Verizon phone will be the first that gives a carrier the option of offering it, and based on the Beta, when iOS 4.3 is released by APPLE it will be the first time GSM carriers around the world, including AT&T have an opportunity to offer hotspot to iPhone customers.

But this is all AT&T's fault. Yeah right. Don't even bother with the AT&T would not let Apple do it BS, Apple added tethering and MMS for other carriers long before AT&T enabled them. AT&T is doing nothing to hold Apple back in terms of hardware or software.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And since my family takes the extra 4 seconds to jailbreak their phones an install MyWi, this will be a worthless addition that we fortunately will not waste money on.

We already pay $30 each for unlimited data. Not paying $20 more, each, for the same data.

Actually they don't give you that option. You would be paying $15 more each for capped data. Arguable an even worse deal.

BTW, if you can jailbreak several iPhones and install MyWi in 4 seconds, I am pretty impressed!
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Seriously? How can you rationally blame this on AT&T? How many iPhone carriers around the world offer the official hotspot feature? Exactly 0 as of today. Why? Because APPLE has not includsed it in an official release yet.

The version of iOS that APPLE is shipping with the Verizon phone will be the first that gives a carrier the option of offering it, and based on the Beta, when iOS 4.3 is released by APPLE it will be the first time GSM carriers around the world, including AT&T have an opportunity to offer hotspot to iPhone customers.

But this is all AT&T's fault. Yeah right. Don't even bother with the AT&T would not let Apple do it BS, Apple added tethering and MMS for other carriers long before AT&T enabled them. AT&T is doing nothing to hold Apple back in terms of hardware or software.

You have a made some good points but the caps make you look retarded.

Pro-tip: Drop the caps and make your points like an adult.
post #22 of 27
I am not going to pay any more money for data. Tethering works in 4.3 beta 3. It sucks a little more battery, but a plug in the car for power, one for the wall and if you have your laptop - you shouldn't have to worry about it. It is nice to have the hotspot running in the car with a iTouch running pandora for the audio, and surfing on my iPad (I have a 3G one that I cancelled the data on for the moment) while we drive around.

The phone works no differently that it always has. I can surf on it while it provides data for the iTouch or the iPad or my laptop. I can answer the phone without a problem. I am not dropping calls as bad as I was with 4.2.1.. I think that they had something wrong with the firmware for the radio in that release.

To me, there is no difference between the phone being a hotspot and being tethered to my laptop and sharing the connection over the laptop's Airport. I haven't tried it on my windows laptop, but I would think that you could do that too. That would give you basically UNLIMITED data connections on a hotspot. I have been doing that since you could hack the phone to allow tethering...

If the release candidate comes out without the Hotspot on it, I won't be updating the phone's software. It works awesomely... and I don't want to loose it nor do I want to pay more money.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And since my family takes the extra 4 seconds to jailbreak their phones an install MyWi, this will be a worthless addition that we fortunately will not waste money on.

We already pay $30 each for unlimited data. Not paying $20 more, each, for the same data.

Amen Brotha,
It is outrageous the money an average family MUST pay just for having iphones.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Amen Brotha,
It is outrageous the money an average family MUST pay just for having iphones.

Thats sarcasm, right? If not, what requirement is there that everyone in an average family MUST have an iPhone?
post #25 of 27
Iphone personal hotspot should be FREE as a reward for customers that have endured and stayed with ATT inspite of having problems with the phone service.

ENOUGH SAID!
post #26 of 27
So, why does Apple need a carrier's (AT&T) blessing for this? Symbian phones can do wifi hotspot for a while already. My Nexus One can do it too. All without the need to beg for permission from the carrier. This is stupid. Apple, you have softened up to the wireless cartels. You still have yet to sell an unlocked iPhone in the US. What's next, you'll allow them to control iOS updates?

Really, I think de la Vega has Steve Job's pancreas on hostage or something.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Amen Brotha,
It is outrageous the money an average family MUST pay just for having iphones.

A bit of a quibble, but...The average American family doesn't have an iPhone, or iPhones. 11 million US iPhones, 310 million people.

Sources: AdMob, US Census, DailyFinance, http://srph.it/bJM6gL

"As Smith notes, the top 20% of the American populace holds roughly 93% of the country's financial wealth, and the top 1% of the country holds approximately 43% of the money in the U.S."

I am still saving my pennies. And I'm cool with that, I'll be able compare 'Droid vs. iPhone 5 and then make the decision.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T working with Apple to enable iPhone Personal Hotspot tethering