or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Verizon on Friday declared that presales of the iPhone 4 exceeded any other launch in the company's history in just the first two hours, though the carrier declined to provide actual sales figures.

"This was an exciting day," said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer for Verizon Wireless. "In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history.

"And, when you consider these initial orders were placed between the hours of 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., it is an incredible success story. It is gratifying to know that our customers responded so enthusiastically to this exclusive offer -- designed to reward them for their loyalty."

Though Verizon didn't provide any specific sales figures, analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets issued a brief note to investors in which he said the "limited" pre-order availability was likely restricted to less than 100,000. For comparison, the Motorola Droid, when it launched in 2009, was estimated to have sold 100,000 in its first weekend, while the GSM iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in its first three days of availability last June.

Verizon and Apple stopped taking preorders at 8:10 p.m. on Thursday, just over 17 hours after existing Verizon customers were first able to place an order. It marked the most successful sales day in the company's history.

"I am proud of our employees who worked tirelessly to strengthen and scale our systems, enabling unprecedented customer orders through our website," Mead said. "Overall, it was a very good day."

He also reminded customers that they will have another opportunity to order the CDMA iPhone 4 when it launches on Feb. 10 at 7 a.m. local time in Apple's U.S. retail stores and more than 2,000 Verizon Wireless Communication Stores. On Feb. 9, all qualified customers will be able to order a Verizon iPhone 4 through the Apple online store for delivery or in-store pick-up beginning Feb. 10.

"Yesterday's launch set the pace for next week when we open up sales to everyone across America," Mead said.
post #2 of 71
"First-day deliveries of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon network in 2 hours"
post #3 of 71
I doubt there were only 100,000 pre-orders available if they went 17 hours before going out of stock. My guess would be more like 500,000.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #4 of 71
what is interesting is that there is all this so called competition out there for the iphone and it now 4 yr and still it out selling the competition.
post #5 of 71
Sounds like the Microsoft Kin launch. Oops, sorry. Sales exceeded the Kin launch in the first 2 seconds.
post #6 of 71
Verizon has no idea the monster theyre about to unleash on their network. I think they're starting to realize the mania Apple products bring to the table, hence the "throttling"
post #7 of 71
It's like Consumer Reports editors cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced....
post #8 of 71
My order was #304, and I read that other people had 1,200,000 and who knows how many after, so thats just order #, not quantity (i.e. I ordered 2), so my guess is over 3 mil, easy.
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilroot9 View Post

My order was #304, and I read that other people had 1,200,000 and who knows how many after, so thats just order #, not quantity (i.e. I ordered 2), so my guess is over 3 mil, easy.

Were these all from Verizon, or mixed Verizon and Apple?
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #10 of 71
I purchased from Verizon, so I have no idea (I dont want to plug the other site) but it was a neutral site, neither apple nor verizons sites. I am thinking just Verizon as that seems to be a verizon thing, but really no clue.
post #11 of 71
Quote:
"In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history.

I suspect we will have a lower bound really soon. There has to be announced first day sales data for other Verizon phones out there. I suspect some entrepid reporter will backtrack and find that data in the next few hours. A CEO making a statement like that will get some attention.

The number sounds way north of 100k unless the CEO completely mispoke, which I imagine will be clarified later, if that is the case.
post #12 of 71
Blah, blah, blah, Android, blah, blah, iPhone killer.


Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

I suspect we will have a lower bound really soon. There has to be announced first day sales data for other Verizon phones out there. I suspect some entrepid reporter will backtrack and find that data in the next few hours. A CEO making a statement like that will get some attention.

The number sounds way north of 100,000k unless the CEO completely mispoke, which I imagine will be clarified later, if that is the case.

100,000 was a number from an analyst. 100,000k = 100,000,000 seems like A LOT! lol

I'm guessing the analyst left a 0 off his number so it should be closer to a million
post #14 of 71
Stock split anyone?
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I doubt there were only 100,000 pre-orders available if they went 17 hours before going out of stock. My guess would be more like 500,000.

Yeah that RBC guy is a complete moron. If that's his professional assessment RBC should fire his ass for incompetence. First off, and most obvious this isn't just any phone. 2) There's 4 years of pent up demand 3) Apple has become a MASTER at inventory control and anticipation with Tim Cook they've sold out every iPhone launch but not until they've sold MILLIONS 4) The original Droid was way before Android-mania took off (if anything it was the pre-cursor) and 5) Android-mania is partly if not mostly because of a lack of a VZW iPhone till now.

I can't see the initial pre-sales alotment being anything less than 1-2 M phones.
post #16 of 71
While that appears to be amazing; they still haven't been in on the launch of a new iPhone. When iPhone5 is released then they will have an idea what this is all about. The numbers (whatever they are) they are seeing from this 2 hour sale will be blown out of the water.
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipaq View Post

While that appears to be amazing; they still haven't been in on the launch of a new iPhone. When iPhone5 is released then they will have an idea what this is all about. The numbers (whatever they are) they are seeing from this 2 hour sale will be blown out of the water.

Pretty soon people will realize that there is no physical keyboard on the iPhone and they will stop buying these things.

Yours truly,

Steve Ballmer
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Public View Post

Stock split anyone?

How about stock implosion...For RIM. They won't release the numbers of sales because
that would allow analysts to deduce how much BB and Android sales will have fallen off.
post #19 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

It's like Consumer Reports editors cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced....



I got an issue yesterday with a blurb about "hot new smartphones" on the front... A quick scan showed no mention of the iPhone on Verizon. What did I expect?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Blah, blah, blah, Android, blah, blah, iPhone killer.



Blah, blah, blah, iphone numbers means its best, blah, blah, McDonald's cheese burgers.

post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Pretty soon people will realize that there is no physical keyboard on the iPhone and they will stop buying these things.

Yours truly,

Steve Ballmer



And yet despite his completely cluelessness (or egocentrism/egomania re Microsoft) he still managed to get a huge bonus this year.
post #22 of 71
Were are the Android fans this morning? Show us how these numbers are wrong. Tell us again how much better Android is and how the iPhone is second rate. .......... (Silence)
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Pretty soon people will realize that there is no physical keyboard on the iPhone and they will stop buying these things.

Yours truly,

Steve Ballmer

Pretty soon people will realize that it not open and they will stop buying these things.

Yours Truly
Google

Pretty soon people will realize that it is not secure and they will stop buying these things.

Yours Truly
BB (morons)

Pretty soon people will realize that they can't root the phone and they will stop buying these things.

Yours Truly
<...>
post #24 of 71
And as soon as iPhone hit the floor, Android was left standing by the wall...

Now before the Androids get all lathered up and frisky, I supported Android development right up to the point they were bought out by Google. The mobile OS is fine and has nice features, but Google sold it to the handset makers and carriers - and no I'm not going to trot out my "tarted up and on the street-corner" analogy, because I've made that point already.

Google is a one-trick pony, and they are desperate. Even if ChromeOS goes live and eventually supplants Android, they are still too focussed in the search/ad model and they will fall to the next great search algorithm. There are a lot of ex-Google folks out there, including members of the original dev team - and Google is losing search integrity as more and more webdevs figure out how to game the system. This means there is a large talent pool well-equiped to challenge Google. If Andy Rubin is smart he will offer to buy-out Google's interest in Android and drive it independent - that is the only way it can remain viable in the longterm. The longer Google spends undiversified, the greater the impact of the next search engine will be - and Google will jettison all cost centers to keep viable and Android is one of them.

Funny - I haven't seen any Verizon Android ads recently - has anyone else?
post #25 of 71
Considering how competitive Android phones have become, this is kind of weird. What's the big deal about the iPhone compared with them?
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Considering how competitive Android phones have become, this is kind of weird. What's the big deal about the iPhone compared with them?

It's been on AT&T for so long, and for my friends living close to DC or in it, they complain endlessly about AT&T, while everyone with Verizon boasts like jerks.

BUT, out here away from the city, AT&T is the best choice in terms of service strength. They just have the 2GB data cap.

It really is a great phone paired with a great network paired with hype.
post #27 of 71
The previous first day release record was around 100,000 phones. They said they broke that record by 5 AM and continued selling through to 8PM. If they had 50,000 phones per hour in the first 2 hours, and the rate continued the same throughout the day, that's 850,000 phones.

I'd guess that's a pretty accurate number.

Oh, and this pre-release garbage wasn't a reward for existing customers. It was simply a test release so Verizon could see how their servers reacted when getting pounded with orders. They held up pretty well, but you know they are making some quick changes for the 'real' release next week.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

The previous first day release record was around 100,000 phones. They said they broke that record by 5 AM and continued selling through to 8PM. If they had 50,000 phones per hour in the first 2 hours, and the rate continued the same throughout the day, that's 850,000 phones.

I'd guess that's a pretty accurate number.

Oh, and this pre-release garbage wasn't a reward for existing customers. It was simply a test release so Verizon could see how their servers reacted when getting pounded with orders. They held up pretty well, but you know they are making some quick changes for the 'real' release next week.

It would probably be more than that actually, as more people wake up and order...
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post

How about stock implosion...For RIM. They won't release the numbers of sales because
that would allow analysts to deduce how much BB and Android sales will have fallen off.

As long as no one gets the bright idea to do an iOS spin off. Hope the Board rejects the succession plan proposal by the way.
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post

How about stock implosion...For RIM. They won't release the numbers of sales because
that would allow analysts to deduce how much BB and Android sales will have fallen off.

Actually RIM is doing well in the stock market, I heard that AT&T locked up a number of customer with new RIM products for the next 2 yrs, so as VZ was cutting their demand for other manufacturers phones and shocking up on iphone. AT&T and other carries were buying since the VZ was pissing off RIM and other manufacturers.
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post



I got an issue yesterday with a blurb about "hot new smartphones" on the front... A quick scan showed no mention of the iPhone on Verizon. What did I expect?

To be fair it's not a hot new phone, it's a 7month old phone rehashed to work on CDMA.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

The previous first day release record was around 100,000 phones. They said they broke that record by 5 AM and continued selling through to 8PM. If they had 50,000 phones per hour in the first 2 hours, and the rate continued the same throughout the day, that's 850,000 phones.

I'd guess that's a pretty accurate number.

Oh, and this pre-release garbage wasn't a reward for existing customers. It was simply a test release so Verizon could see how their servers reacted when getting pounded with orders. They held up pretty well, but you know they are making some quick changes for the 'real' release next week.

What is your reference/source for the previous first day record for Verizon? I don't remember them releasing any specific numbers. The only number here is the Droid as mentioned in the article:

Quote:
For comparison, the Motorola Droid, when it launched in 2009, was estimated to have sold 100,000 in its first weekend

and that was a weekend not one day. I think 100k to 150k preorder is reasonable. Remember that AT&T preorders were around 600k when the iPhone 4 was new device. Verizon preorder is also limited to existing customers. I think Apple and Verizon are careful here due to lack of historical iPhone sales data.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

Sounds like the Microsoft Kin launch. Oops, sorry. Sales exceeded the Kin launch in the first 2 seconds.

First two seconds? I think you mean the first person who clicked beat their sales.
post #34 of 71
Android users: your phone has arrived.
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Public View Post

Stock split anyone?

Perhaps Apple will do a Berkshire Hathaway and ride the stock into the tens of thousands. ( Currently ~ $124,000 ! )

It will be a statement in itself and owning 1 stock will be as much a status symbol as owning a Mac.
( Like Berkshire, they will have to make a parallel stock device at 1,000th value to give to employees ).

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #36 of 71
In the U.S., all phones end up costing about the same, so people figure they might as well get the best.

Places like here in China, the monthly service is dirt cheap and you pay the real price for the phone, so most people opt to save money and get an Android.
post #37 of 71
Just another phone.
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Just another phone.

Just more profit for Apple.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Blah, blah, blah, iphone numbers means its best, blah, blah, McDonald's cheese burgers.



In a Homer Simpson voice...


Mmmmmm... Cheeseburgers....

I'll stay out of the numbers game, although it would have been nice if Verizon and or Apple announced, then all the speculation going on here.

But nice to hear Verizon is breaking some records. \

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #40 of 71
3 people in our NY office with AT&T iPhones want to switch immediatedly becuase everytime we step into an elevator the calls drop- not so for our Verizon co-workers. An AT&T iPhone simply will not maintain a call in an elevator.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours