or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references - Page 4

post #121 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

The most stupid ad I have ever seen. I don't own a TV and I don't watch sports, so events like Superbowl are non-event in my life.

And for spending millions on a piece of shit like this ad, Motorola marketing dept, needs to be dismantled. These guys, absolutely have no clue of what they are doing. I can't believe what I just saw.

Agreed. It's just nonsense. It's amazing how companies are so good at just flushing money right down the toilet. BTW I own a TV and watch sports, it makes no difference, I'd rather be kicked in the groin by [insert famous sportsperson here] than watch this ad again.
post #122 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Xoom is, according to an Engadget report, expected to become available February 24, in a CDMA/EVDO 3G-only version sold by Verizon for $800. The unit will be accompanied by optional data plans that start at $20... but an ad from BestBuy also notes that "to activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required." Unlike the iPad, there are no cheaper WiFi-only versions of the Xoom.

Okay, for a while I thought the Xoom had a chance but then I read this. See above in bold. Motorola has totally no clue how to make a product that can actually:

(a) stand on it's own feet without heavily sucking on a telco's tit
(b) be sold internationally

The Xoom is DOA compared to the iPad 2.

Motorola obviously had zero confidence of creating a decent tablet so they are just coming out with some hyped up whatever so that they can register at least some profit - from the telco - on their books .

Modern businesses are becoming so disjointed from the product and the users of the product that they are becoming so lost as to how to turn a decent dime.

800 bucks. I did not believe Steve when he said competitors could not match them in price. I mean, this is Apple we're talking about, supposedly always overpriced. Turns out he was right.

$800. Unbelievable.
post #123 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

You apparently missed this article:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...diagnoses.html

Hey not fair, you can't use logic and facts against fandroids, they are always right.
post #124 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

The Apple ad didn't dislodge IBM PC in the marketplace, did it?

Same thing will happen to Xoom. It will fail to dislodge iPad.

These copycats will have to learn to innovate by not taking a page off Apple's book.

i just hope the ad agency didn't use an ipad and overlay android features lol
post #125 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The iPad is slow,

Compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

doesn't play flash

That's a FEATURE.

It also doesn't run Java applets, but I don't see many people complaining...

If you haven't got the memo, it's 02 2011 and still no device plays Flash well, without major battery drain and slowing down scrolling / page viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store.

A feature again.

It creates a healthy marketplace for us developers, it mitigates the effects of rampant piracy by making application buying and installation safe, easy and one-stop, and it cuts off a lot of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

Compared to what? Right now, it's not only slam-dunk, it *IS* the tablet market.
post #126 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Things either have to be Simple the apple way, or they're too complicated. Right? Because no one but android geeks ever use Tabs right? and there's absolutely no reason you'd want your notifications to be handled in a way that you get useful information without it taking over the main part of your screen, right? And having true app switching is just too complicated. I mean.. you tap a button on iOS, and with honeycomb you have to... tap a button.

Have you even looked at the honeycomb previews? At all? No, I'm not talking about an apple sites commentary, I'm talking about the official videos or even the articles on a site like engadget.

And if you try defending apple's notification system, don't. Even the biggest apple fans know that it sucks.

The things I mentioned are some of the BEST aspects of computers without a lot of the bloat. The pop up notifications are extreemly useful. Heck, even and andriod-unfriendly gizmodo mentioned how much better the music controls from the notification bar were compared to apple's multi-tasking approach.

Just because it's taking some features from the desktop doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like a desktop. That's something apple fan's won't understand. I promise you, if steve jobs released the SAME exact tabbed browsing idea this site would be praising it. Instead they write it off as "too complicated"

This type of device will allow you to do most of what you'd need a netbook/laptop to accomplish without all the crap you don't need., at least that's its aim. you can't say the same about an ipad. I've tried.

Simplify does not mean "cut everything out until you could do it all on a phone, but you like the bigger form factor"


Don't you hate it when someone speaks for you.
I love Apple's notification systems, have no problems at all.
Please don't speak on my behalf.
post #127 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The rumors are, backed by a leaked Best Buy ad, that the Xoom is actually going to be more expensive than an iPad? Who are they kidding? Do they have delusions of grandeur? They'll be laughed out of the market...

You would seriously have to be someone of my age or better to remember the 1984 Apple ad and make the connection. Most people won't. It was a lame commercial.

But, there ARE Millions your / my age, who did recognize the ad, and thought it was an Apple ad MILLIONS

Oh, my son who is 25 is a big Mac head and he thought it was a take on the 1984 ad, and until he realized it wasn't, he thought it was a great ad did I say Millions?

Skip
post #128 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Okay, for a while I thought the Xoom had a chance but then I read this. See above in bold. Motorola has totally no clue how to make a product that can actually:

(a) stand on it's own feet without heavily sucking on a telco's tit
(b) be sold internationally

The Xoom is DOA compared to the iPad 2.

Motorola obviously had zero confidence of creating a decent tablet so they are just coming out with some hyped up whatever so that they can register at least some profit - from the telco - on their books .

Modern businesses are becoming so disjointed from the product and the users of the product that they are becoming so lost as to how to turn a decent dime.

800 bucks. I did not believe Steve when he said competitors could not match them in price. I mean, this is Apple we're talking about, supposedly always overpriced. Turns out he was right.

$800. Unbelievable.

I could not believe it either, $800, and for what ? The off chance that you may get an update to honeycomb (what sort of crap name is that anyway for an OS) 3.1.
I saw an android phone today, tried to use it, could not figure it out. My 7 year old learnt the iPhone, iPod and iPad in minutes.
I'm a programmer, remember the concept called KISS ?
Just proves the android coders can't code if their lives depended on it.
Just read that motamouth had promised an OS update to one of their phones, but have now reneged and the poor bastards who paid for the plastic crap are stuck in limbo.
I think android should be renamed as limbo, very apt.
When will they ever learn, oh when will they ever learn ? (Acknowledgement to Peter, Paul & Mary).
post #129 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

a+b=c =! a=b

I know hyperbole is a lost art, but let's use a little logic, ok?

There are more people than you would think with no technical background that are SICK about hearing about apple, and yet are still prime targets for smartphones/possibly tablets. This is because of the saturation iProducts have reached in popular culture. No, not literally "everyone" has an iDevice, but a lot of people do, and most people know several handfuls that do.

My argument doesn't contradict itself, you're just trying to split hairs to make a pun.

The same is applicable to andriod also, anything that is popular will be most common and then there will be people who want that as it's popular.

That's a wrong choice I would say people should choose what is more usable for them.
post #130 of 216
deleted
post #131 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So Apple users are attractive mindless drones? What?

Try saying something to the contrary to the Apple party line. You'll get swarmed. The group think and fanaticism has become ridiculous.

But is moto the one to do it? No. Android might have somewhat of a parity when it comes to app and depending but they don't have a decent media store. When it comes to videos like it or not, you're locked into Apple.
post #132 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I really hope Apple positions the iPad 2 as the "spec leader" among the iOS devices. Right now the iPhone has the most RAM while the iPod touch has the largest amount of storage.

You've completely missed the point of Apple's product strategy. It's about the user experience - not about the specs.
post #133 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'd bet you were not even born in 1984 or you were in diapers. I was around far longer than that. I remember that commercial, and I certainly remember the way things were in the 80's when IBM and Microsoft/DOS was the only game in town in terms of what was offered for the masses.

The problem with folks like you is that you try to pass off what Motorola is doing as something factual.

You're right in that you're not worth anywhere near a tangible effort in arguing with you. You can continue believing whatever you want in your little, pathetic bubble.

The actual reality is that back in the 80's, there was no choice. Today, there is choice everywhere. Motorola and other companies would kill to be in the exact same position that Apple is in now.

This commercial only says one thing. That everyone chose Apple because they provided the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that Xoom, and that he's such an anti-social, nerd/geek/techtard to even get the courage to approach a girl. Typical.


Exactly. Back in the 80s, people used IBM because that's what their employers chose for them. In the years that followed, it was Microsoft products that were thrust upon users, primarily by their employers. In contrast, Apple's products have been made popular by individual choice. Kind of a big deal.
post #134 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

-7 inches is easier to hold/manage than a 10 inch device. 10 is nice for browsing at your hour or at work, but it sucks if you're on the go.

There are two primary form factors: one that should fit comfortably in any pocket and another that should be large enough to comfortably read a book, watch a movie, take meeting notes, etc.

The iPhone is a perfect match for the first and the iPad a perfect match for the second.

Those Android phones with big screens are too large to fit in most pockets and uncomfortable to operate with one hand, making them a suboptimal choice for a primary smartphone device.

The 7 inch "tablets" are both too large to fit in a pocket and too small to provide a significant viewing advantage over more pocketable devices. Moreover, the 16:9 aspect ratio is a misguided choice given that movie watching is hardly the primary use of these devices.
post #135 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Hi, I'm a Mac
And I'm a PC

Do you want me to continue?

No, because you are so painfully wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You missed the point of the entire commercial then, and by extension the 1984 original ad.

By your reasoning, everyone chose IBM because it was the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that mac, a chick with anger issues who instead of showing people why her machine is better she just destroys theirs. Typical.


Or you know, it could be, like the 1984 commercial, "There is something new coming, and it's different. stay tuned for more information". He also got the girl in the ad btw, and considering the entire culture wore earbuds, he was the most social one there.

Difference being, of course, that no one was particularly happy with IBM; everyone was going with them because they were the only ones in market, and Apple's approach at computing was to be much, much more accessible.

Which is obviously not the point with the Xoom. Everyone (except a small alliance of linux/anti-apple fanboys) loves it, and it's the most friendly tablet of there. Not to mention that there are alternatives already, and they all proved to be the exact opposite of what the Mac represented to the IBM PC.

Quote:
Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."

Except that the Mac wasn't officially unveiled until after the ad, and that the Xoom was already shown to half the people in CES?
And that the iPhone ad wasn't picking at anyone? And that subsequent iPhone ads (after it was actually released) ONLY showed off functionality? Which CLEARLY wasn't the case with Droid ads?

This one failed as a feature ad, as an introductory ad and as a sarcastic ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

And if you read AI's other article's, you'd see that the Xoom is approaching the idea of a tablet differently. They're making it more of a mobile computing device instead of a oversized media device like the ipad is right now. The ipad is great at media consumption, but at the end of the day, its an iphone with a few nice ad ons like pop up menus.

Honeycomb is a totally different take on tablets, and doubly so on android.

Keep telling yourself that, then. You obviously can't see the truth even as it punches you in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You'd be surprised by the number of everyday customers (aka, people who don't know that sites like Engadget and BGR exist, much less this one) that are sick and tired of apple. Not for the app store, not for their policies, but because EVERYONE has them, and there are a lot of people with iphones that if you say you don't want one (for whatever reason) you'll never hear the end of it.

Let me guess. That's like one or two hundred of people.

Meanwhile there are more than 160 million people out there that think that iOS devices are genius.

Quote:
What a lot of people on forums tend to forget is that your views are ALWAYS in the minority when it comes to the consumer viewpoint. the fact that you post on a forum on "the internets" proves this.

You should take a look at the mirror, then.

Quote:
And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Can you please just say "I'm a moronic troll (or at the very least uber-retarded), feel free to add me to your ignore lists" and be done with it?

THE ACTORS REPRESENT THE COMPUTERS, NOT THE USERS.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #136 of 216
  1. Copy the Apple iPad
  2. Copy an Apple TV commercial

What else is Motorola copying from Apple? Can no company except for Apple innovate?
post #137 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You missed the point of the entire commercial then, and by extension the 1984 original ad.

By your reasoning, everyone chose IBM because it was the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that mac, a chick with anger issues who instead of showing people why her machine is better she just destroys theirs. Typical.


You're missing the point that few people "chose" IBM just as few people "chose" Microsoft Windows. Those products' market share was primarily the result of corporate IT departments forcing them upon their users, who were then compelled to buy compatible devices for their homes.

In contrast, the iPod, iPhone and iPad have been chosen directly by consumers, with corporate IT departments following behind in response to user demands. I think that says a lot about which products were successful based on their own merits and which were successful based on the narrow interests of corporate purchasing contracts.
post #138 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You'd be surprised by the number of everyday customers (aka, people who don't know that sites like Engadget and BGR exist, much less this one) that are sick and tired of apple. Not for the app store, not for their policies, but because EVERYONE has them, and there are a lot of people with iphones that if you say you don't want one (for whatever reason) you'll never hear the end of it.

What a lot of people on forums tend to forget is that your views are ALWAYS in the minority when it comes to the consumer viewpoint. the fact that you post on a forum on "the internets" proves this.

And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Thanks for admitting that you didn't understand those commercials either.
post #139 of 216
Wait, I thought all the drones in white were the hordes of people who use winXP / Vista / Vista2 at work cause "every body else uses it, there's no way out", and then again at home because it's the only thing they know... Grabbed by the ballz in a vicious cycle by "Our software, everywhere".

Sorry, but this Apple fanboi has been there, done that and chose his gadgets on his own... Take your Lemmings metaphors to the front of your mirror.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #140 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

I think the iPad screen's larger in square inches as the Xoom is long and thin.

I think people should quote them in square inches as well as diagonally otherwise pretty soon people will be building screens that look like noodles to tout size.

Motorola Xoom
» 1280x800 = 16:10 aspect ratio
» 10.1” = 8.08”x6.06” = 48.96”^2

Apple iPad
» 1024x768 = 4.3 aspect ratio
» 9.7” = 7.75”x5.83” = 45.19”^2

It’s that extra half inch on the diagonal that makes it overall larger, but you imply the iPad’s aspect ratio gives it a larger area for a given diagonal size.

PS: I thought 10” was too large? I thought 7” was the key to killing those HUGE iPads?
post #141 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

[...]
And that the iPhone ad wasn't picking at anyone?
[...]

You're right! ...Because at that moment, There Wasn't Anyone To Pick At
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #142 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Try saying something to the contrary to the Apple party line. You'll get swarmed. The group think and fanaticism has become ridiculous.

But is moto the one to do it? No. Android might have somewhat of a parity when it comes to app and depending but they don't have a decent media store. When it comes to videos like it or not, you're locked into Apple.

Yes, they have app parity... the most popular apps on the iTunes Store are OS task managers to help you kill unruly programs! (being ironic by the way).

No, I'll tell you what group think is:

• thinking that "openness" as celebrated by Android and Google has any practical value whatsover.

•*thinking that it is quite amazing and anti-group and the height of individualism to sport a unique wallpaper on your phone -- rather than to be able to find a smooth way to actually do some of the unique jobs you have to do

Sorry, but Apple users aren't spending time talking about their phones and devices because they need to justify their purchases... no, they are enjoying the fact that their phone works for them and helps them get critical work done, that they have a few minutes every hour to say what a piece of cake that was instead of managing their device.

Apple users (of Macs and iDevices alike) celebrate the uniqueness and individual nature of the products they produce with their tools, and the jobs they easily accomplish on their devices -- NOT how we decorate our devices in order to feel better about the lousy experience and frustration they give us. The unadorned, utilitarian look of our devices is fine with us -- because it is what we accomplish through them as unique individuals that matters. That people like yourself overlook this is more an example of group think than anything ever displayed by Apple users. It's a pretty sad, upside down attempt at "me, too-ism" -- it fixates on the product and the supposed "status symbol" as constituting coolness, when every Mac and iDevice user knows they use their computer or mobile device because it helps them get stuff done with less frustration. How cool is that?

Do you really think a "design guru", whose talents are in demand, gives two hoots about what his desktop or wallpaper looks like? Give me a break! Rather, he is producing unique product after product after product, in a fraction of the time, and with a fraction of the effort of someone on Windows or Android software.

Talk about groupthink: there are billions of people in the world who think that something produced with MS Office or Google Docs and the like are passable. They spend great time and effort to learn it, and pat themselves on the back, after finally producing something worse than my seven-year old would produce in five-minutes on Pages, Keynote, iWeb.....

Good grief. MS and Google and the like are collectively responsible for such a mindset of institutionalized group think and sameness, and to such a degree, that it boggles the mind how anyone has a sense of quality and attention to detail any more! No wonder that when people talk about "innovation", the only company that springs to mind is Apple.
post #143 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Nothing wrong with more options and the competition is good for everyone. And if the Xoom has features the iPad lacks, why not communicate those?

I just am not that impressed with the way Android on one hand copies Apple so intensely and then treats Apple like they are somehow doing something wrong. The iPad was the only good device out there last year. People didn't buy it because they were sheep, there was no other decent option. And if I remember correctly, it was just 12 months ago that Jobs had to get up there and explain why a device like this was even needed. No one understood that there was even a market for these things until the iPad was released and then everyone was blow away how well it sold. Are we really supposed to fault Apple somehow for this success??

Apple is not big brother. They curate the Appstore. Big deal. Android can compete on those terms and if consumers like their solution better, good for them. Make a business case for those advantages, not a moral one. There is no moral issue with Apple controlling the appstore. It is good for consumers and while developers may whine, they are making a lot of money there and finding an audience that did not exist before.

And Google has it's own Big Brother thing going with tracking all our searches and keeping tabs on us. That is a downside too and with Android you are even more in their snare. It is a tradeoff, privacy for those benefits. FIne. But its not like they are saints.

Apple doesn't like Flash. Big deal. Flash sucks on these devices. Android can make a lot of hey about how they support Flash but you know what? Android to begin with can get really slow and unresponsive so maybe they have nothing to lose adding Flash to that mess?

Completely agree!
post #144 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

It helps you read about android news on a site that's not named (apple) insider. I know they post a lot of crap about android, but that doesnt mean they know what they're talking about.

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it. This is a very big difference from a mobile based browser blown up to a bigger screen (like on the Tab or ipad)
-Chrome style notifications. These are essentially widgets, different from what's found in android, and a lot more fitting to the tablet form factor.
-Multi-tasking switcher similar to what you have on a computer. You can see what you have open (not just app icon) and if something is running in the background, you'll see it.
-Actionbar. Again, acknowledging that it's a tablet not a phone screen, so having common tasks on screen instead of hidden in pop-ups or sub menus (you'd call this the settings menu under the gear)
-Drag and drop support in apps, full clipboard/multi-select functionality.

Bold= Already on the iPad
Italics= Since 3.0 is supposed to compete with 5.0, there is no reason to believe that Apple will stand still.
Underlined= Either insignificant to 95% of people of simply pure Bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I don't hate apple. I own a macbook, helped my brother get a macbook pro, and convinced my parents to get an imac when their PC finally dies. Heck, the iphone's not even a bad phone for a lot of users. Apple's just not lightyears ahead of everyone else or the perfect answer for everyone like so many on this site claim.

I don't care two stones if you're on apple's payroll or not. It doesn't matter, but if you want to keep insisting that you're not on their payroll (or claim that you are) go right ahead. It doesn't matter.

And the biggest cheerleaders for any company are NEVER the people who are employed by them. This is doubly true of status companies like Apple/Starbucks/insertcarcompanyhere.

Then why are you posting to much BS on this site? I want to believe you, but your posts say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Things either have to be Simple the apple way, or they're too complicated. Right? Because no one but android geeks ever use Tabs right? and there's absolutely no reason you'd want your notifications to be handled in a way that you get useful information without it taking over the main part of your screen, right? And having true app switching is just too complicated. I mean.. you tap a button on iOS, and with honeycomb you have to... tap a button.

That makes absolutely no sense. Having to configure a bunch of stuff before actually video-chatting with your grandma isn't over complicated? Because that's the difference between Android phones and FaceTime, and the Android crowd are still whining at Apple because of their portrayal of FaceTime as being something novel.

Quote:
Have you even looked at the honeycomb previews? At all? No, I'm not talking about an apple sites commentary, I'm talking about the official videos or even the articles on a site like engadget.

And if you try defending apple's notification system, don't. Even the biggest apple fans know that it sucks.

The things I mentioned are some of the BEST aspects of computers without a lot of the bloat. The pop up notifications are extreemly useful. Heck, even and andriod-unfriendly gizmodo mentioned how much better the music controls from the notification bar were compared to apple's multi-tasking approach.

Just because it's taking some features from the desktop doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like a desktop. That's something apple fan's won't understand. I promise you, if steve jobs released the SAME exact tabbed browsing idea this site would be praising it. Instead they write it off as "too complicated"

This type of device will allow you to do most of what you'd need a netbook/laptop to accomplish without all the crap you don't need., at least that's its aim. you can't say the same about an ipad. I've tried.

Simplify does not mean "cut everything out until you could do it all on a phone, but you like the bigger form factor"

Seriously, all of that show to tell us how good the notification system on Honeycomb is? While iOS's is not a nightmare as you make it look like, you are right: everyone knows it can and will be improved in the future.

But, once again, you are comparing an 8 month OS with one that's about to be released, and it doesn't even have that many new stuff. Android and iOS are always toe-to-toe on features and etc, but they have different philosophies, and different design teams.

THAT is our (at least mine and some other people's) quarrel with Android: They complicate the simple, not that they add more options. To me/us, they are kind of a waste of time considering Google should the fixing the rest of their interface.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #145 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

you don't post often, but what you post you post well, so keep on posting the posts !

Thanks...
post #146 of 216
Derivative product, derivative ad.
post #147 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it.

Its funny you think this is a mobile browser. I guess Ive been using mobile browsers on my desktop OS browsers for nearly 2 decades now.

post #148 of 216
Motorola should have targeted Windows netbook, laptop and desktop users. They are the bigger market. They are the oppressors. They are the sheep.

Didn't make much sense for the Xoom to "court" ipad users or Apple users.

Ipad just came out. Xoom is literally copying it. Not many iPad users yet.

I think they goofed. Not that many will even get the Apple connection in the ad.
post #149 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Actually the "much less" comment was a mistranslation. Sort of like the "return rate" was just another example of shoddy journalism.

And here's a little hint:
-If samsung sold the tab to Best Buy, or if they sold it to Joe the Plumber they still get paid. This is why the typical arguments of "Motorola's not making anything because Verizon is giving the phones away" and the like are meaningless. That phone that a customer got BoGo? Motorola got full payment for it. This is the reason Apple's profits are so high. They're making insane money from the carrier's because you the consumer don't see the actual cost of the device 9/10
-7 inches is easier to hold/manage than a 10 inch device. 10 is nice for browsing at your hour or at work, but it sucks if you're on the go.

You really have to be living on another planet to make such idiotic statements. Stuffing the channel is not the same as sales to the consumer which is the ONLY measurement that counts when it comes to market share are actual sales success.
7" is not "easier to hold" - what, are your hands the size of a 3 year old's? They are both easy to hold. The fact is that a 7" screen is exponentially smaller than that of a 10" screen and far harder to use and view with apps designed and maximized for a table configuration.

Seriously, get a life!
post #150 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."

You have no idea what you are talking about. The 1984 ad absolutely told you something about the product - it told you that it would be nothing like the IBM pc, and would be far superior, which was absolutely true. So quit trying to interpret something you obviously are incapable of seeing. Also, who said droid is "doing well"? Compared to what? Compared to the iPhone? Not hardly. Compared to the other crap they are selling? Ok, maybe that.
post #151 of 216
Rather stupid ad.
I think that the vast majority of non-techies saw it as a boring iPad ad and ignored the las 5 seconds..
post #152 of 216
Its a piece of garbage. Next.
post #153 of 216
Actually, that's a very good ad. I do like it a lot.
post #154 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The iPad is slow, doesn't play flash, and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store. I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

More options are good. Apple is becoming the Big Brother they once slung the hammer at in '84.

What a joke. What was this post typed back in January last year and you just forgot to hit send?

And how dare you call Apple big brother because they own their App Store. You have homeland security turning this country into a nightmare, and you have the nerve to ignore that and call Apple big brother.

Christ almighty grow up!
post #155 of 216
FINALLY we will be free of the TYRANNY of a company whose products we freely CHOSE because their competitors had elected to play wait and see...

REJOICE!
post #156 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattyuk View Post

They got something right. The number of Xooms compared to the number of Apple devices.

It's funny cause its true!
post #157 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

People forget the circumstances of the 1984 commercial. IBM moved into the personal computer market in 1981 in response to the success of the Apple II and Commadore PET. Microsoft produced DOS the same year but was an insignificant player at the time. Just 3 years after IBM managed to produce it's first affordable personal computer, Apple changed the game completely with the Mac. IBM was at that time a stodgy, monolithic and absolutely gigantic business-oriented mainframe company making moves to take over the fledgling personal computer market. The personal computer movement had been associated with 70s counterculture and IBM was as far from it as you can get. The ad spoke to people. Compare with the Motorola ad where they're advertising an also-ran product by speaking to the tiny minority of people who think Apple's curation of the App Store is an insult to freedom and doing so by portraying iPod owners, who probably make up 99% of their potential buyers, as mindless sheep. Anyone who actually understands the reference should be offended.

Brilliant. Thanks for posting this.
post #158 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysbistro View Post

Your post got me thinking, the Motorola advert would have been so much better if they'd used 2012. They could have spun it into the end of the world for Apple and the rise of the Xoom. But then they would have had to back it up with a device that was actually elegant and powerful enough to cause the end of the world. Too bad too, that would have been a fun and memorable commercial.

Business is an incestuous affair. They are enemies by day and sleep together by night. Apple battles with Google, Android, and Honeycomb, yet the former CEO Eric Schmidt used to be on Apple's Board of Directors. Apple battles with Microsoft -"I'm a Mac. I'm a PC" and Apple sells and supports the Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Suite supports Apple's anti-Flash strategy while making overtures to Adobe. Apple battles Adobe on Flash and yet sells and supports Adobe's Creative Suite, even offering free classes on Photoshop and Illustrator at their Apple Stores. Motorola and Apple, on the other hand are no enemies. Apple and Motorola teamed up with IBM to produce the Power PC chip. In fact Apple got into the mobile phone business, creating the first mobile phone that also had iTunes on it and supported music purchased from the iTunes store. Apple's next iPhone and iPad will also have a Motorola chip and lincensing. Considering how these companies have ties with each other, you will see that at "night", they are the best of friends.

Any inference of Apple fans being Drones or PC-users being "inefficient" is done in the name of business. A popular book in Advertising and Business is "The Art of War" by Sung Tzucomplete with spying and tricking the enemy into making the first move.

If we create an "enemy" and promote a "cause", we have a "nation". How else do you explain the Coke Classic battle of consumers rebelling against a formula change and why we automatically ask for a Coke when a Pepsi will do? Why did we fight Communism and now buy products produced in China? Any student of History and Psychology will see it's all about "business". At the end of the day, the average school kid will come home from using a Mac to using his Dad's PC to browse the Web on Firefox or play on both a Playstation and an Xbox, practice piano, text homework with one hand, hack Linux and watch sports on a Sony monitor while his or her mother is talking to Grandma with an iPhone in one hand and an iPad in another hand as she is doing laundry with a Samsung washer/dryer as a Roomba vacuums the living room and the government in Iran generate hate for the US, having once been friendly with the US, having once been the civilization from which all modern civilization came from. It's all a game ... and then we die. All computers, tablets, operating systems, and machines are just tools. If we spend all our time battling over which ones to use, then we aren't using them.
post #159 of 216
So the "moto" guy works in a cubicle and wears a tie and sweater vest to work? That screams DRONE way more than a white hoodie and earbuds does.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ad boosts iPad sales more than it helps any of the other tablets.
post #160 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Actually, that's a very good ad. I do like it a lot.

Yea yea Pretty girl in a cool outfit... what does it need more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references