or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint counters Verizon iPhone 4 with dual-screen Android phone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sprint counters Verizon iPhone 4 with dual-screen Android phone - Page 2

post #41 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by obi View Post

what about battery life?
A lot of information is provided, but its interesting to see that some is missing.
'Tablet' sized screen but room for phone battery?

It's bad enough that they're providing an extra battery for free..
post #42 of 172
The problem is there are too many androids for anyone of them to be successful on the scale of Iphone. Iphone needs to just go to sprint and t-mobile already. Just because someone made it doesn't mean there is an audience for it.
post #43 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Umm, you are at an APPLE forum, not Engadget. It's what we do! LOL

You mean Engadget, where they bash all things Apple.

As for this phone at first glance I say meh. Just doesn't jump out at me. Also I seem to remember a dual screen phone before so the only industry first would be the two running independent. Which I agree seems too gimmicky to really take off.

But I knew Sprint wouldn't grab the iPhone. It will be the T-Mobile for Verizon buyers and that's it. Why? Because they are going WiMax not LTE. All signs point to th iPhone going LTE so why bother with something thar you know will be hobbled and your subscribers jump ship on you. Pretty smart non move.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #44 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Of course I do. You're biased. That's how that works.

Right here, you are literally talking out of your ass trying to find reasons to not like this thing, all based on opinion and assumptions alone. Why? Oh because Apple didn't make it.

AI is the equivalent of Fox News with Apple related news. Did we ever get a follow up on that INCORRECT 16% return rate for the galaxy tab? Turns out it was only 2%, and every other tech news site I visit DID follow up. Not here. Not at Fox Ne--- I mean, Apple Insider.


Tell me again, who died and made you God?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #45 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Of course I do. You're biased. That's how that works.

Right here, you are literally talking out of your ass trying to find reasons to not like this thing, all based on opinion and assumptions alone. Why? Oh because Apple didn't make it.

AI is the equivalent of Fox News with Apple related news. Did we ever get a follow up on that INCORRECT 16% return rate for the galaxy tab? Turns out it was only 2%, and every other tech news site I visit DID follow up. Not here. Not at Fox Ne--- I mean, Apple Insider.

How can you be certain that it isn't you who's biased?

Right here, you are literally talking out of your ass trying to find reasons to like this thing, all based on opinion and assumptions alone. Why? Oh because Apple didn't make it.

See how that works?


And, regarding the 2% vs. 16% return rate, it's quite likely that the analysis at the link below is correct and that both numbers are technically correct, depending on what it's a percentage of:

http://twistedmelon.com/blog/feb2011.html#02031101

Samsung has clearly been spinning numbers, and is always quoting numbers shipped to vendors. not sales, so it's almost certain that their return numbers are also based on that. So, what's most likely, and what is the least biased, most rational, conclusion, based on what we know about shipments vs. sales and Samsung's previous reporting of numbers is that it's 2% and 16%, depending on what it's a percent of.
post #46 of 172
Phone makers, going to 11 is not always the best option.

Having said that, I'd entertain the possibility of a three-screen, dual-keyboard phone.
post #47 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

AI is the equivalent of Fox News with Apple related news. Did we ever get a follow up on that INCORRECT 16% return rate for the galaxy tab? Turns out it was only 2%, and every other tech news site I visit DID follow up. Not here. Not at Fox Ne--- I mean, Apple Insider.

Exactly which sites were those. Cause I read about a dozen sites and none of them ever corrected the whole Samsumg 16 v iPad 2 talk. I would love to check out some more actual sites.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #48 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64kps View Post

Well honestly this phone is a total Fail. 1st gen processor, no 4G, no front camera, only 5mp camera and it costs $200 with a $10/month smartphone data fee. I have an EVO 4G and I absolutely love it but the Echo just sucks. Most people expected something amazing to best the current top of the line phone on Sprint, the EVO, but this one just isn't gonna do it. I'm not an Apple "fanboy" but I do have some of their products and they're awesome. Kyocera just isn't

I disagree. This phone looks like a very decent product and could actually be quite good if it is supported for at least a year or two. It has a 2nd gen Snapdragon 1GHz processor, not 1st gen. It's also only $299 off contract (which to me is incredibly cheap) and having to only buy a $10 data plan makes this great for kids and low-cost buyers. 4G doesn't really matter and testers are saying that battery life when using both screens is a full day. The fact that they include an extra battery is icing on the cake. Most significantly, it looks like Kyocera has put a lot of work into customizing the software to work well, and it is a really good interface. This attention to experience gives hope for sustained support. Reviewers also commented on its smooth running of Android (which is uncommon on most handsets: the majority having significant lag), and the hardware looks decent overall (although I would vote for a higher quality front covering--maybe glass instead of plastic). Decent resolution too, 800x480. It's the best phone on Sprint and at a good price overall as well. I wouldn't say it's in the same league as the iPhone, but it's a great Android phone.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #49 of 172
They are running out of ideas!
post #50 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

People are going to bash other products on an apple themed site. Duh!!!! Helll they even bash apple products on this site.

This phone is a double fail.

Is this AppleFOX news?
post #51 of 172
From a programming standpoint, it seems that the app would have to support dual display, which is not a primary concern when releasing. Unless there are billions of these.
post #52 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Is this AppleFOX news?

Someone ran out of ideas.
post #53 of 172
No correction was necessary because as daringfireball points out Samsung is choosing not to solve the mystery by clarifying the issue. It is possible for the number to be 16% to retailers, but only 2 % percent to Samsung itself.

I have no opinion on the device, other then the casing looks cheap and I have no interest in an Android device.

The difference between Appleinsider and Fox News is Appleinsider doesn't make any claims to be fair and unbiased as well as selling itself off as legitimate news. The site has rumors in the title. Rumors do not constitute news. Further, the title of the website kind of lets you know there there might be a bias. You are not going to run a website on Apple if you aren't a fan of its products.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Of course I do. You're biased. That's how that works.

Right here, you are literally talking out of your ass trying to find reasons to not like this thing, all based on opinion and assumptions alone. Why? Oh because Apple didn't make it.

AI is the equivalent of Fox News with Apple related news. Did we ever get a follow up on that INCORRECT 16% return rate for the galaxy tab? Turns out it was only 2%, and every other tech news site I visit DID follow up. Not here. Not at Fox Ne--- I mean, Apple Insider.
post #54 of 172
Slick. And you fanbois know it...
post #55 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This thing is like two "average" Android device surgically stitched together..

The cellphone version of "Human Centipede"?
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #56 of 172
One is good. Two is better. Three must be best. Can't wait for triple screen!
post #57 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Of course I do. You're biased. That's how that works.

Right here, you are literally talking out of your ass trying to find reasons to not like this thing, all based on opinion and assumptions alone. Why? Oh because Apple didn't make it.

AI is the equivalent of Fox News with Apple related news. Did we ever get a follow up on that INCORRECT 16% return rate for the galaxy tab? Turns out it was only 2%, and every other tech news site I visit DID follow up. Not here. Not at Fox Ne--- I mean, Apple Insider.

If anyone is assuming anything and talking out of their ass, it is you.

How do you know he doesn't like it because it's not Apple? You don't.

Are there legitimate reasons not to like it? Yes.
post #58 of 172
I'm not buying one until they put tail fins on it.
post #59 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Umm, you are at an APPLE forum, not Engadget. It's what we do! LOL

Well said. I wish a certain few people here realized that! The 'Please don't be so biased to Apple" comments are pretty stupid on a pure Apple blog!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #60 of 172
Gimmicky!!!


Phones with the pico projector
or phones with surround sound
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #61 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Umm, you are at an APPLE forum, not Engadget. It's what we do! LOL

Don't worry -- the folks at Engadget are bashing it too. This thing is objectively fugly...
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
Reply
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
Reply
post #62 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I'm not buying one until they put tail fins on it.


I agree. And perhaps dual rear view mirrors.
post #63 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

How can you be certain that it isn't you who's biased?

Right here, you are literally talking out of your ass trying to find reasons to like this thing, all based on opinion and assumptions alone. Why? Oh because Apple didn't make it.

See how that works?


And, regarding the 2% vs. 16% return rate, it's quite likely that the analysis at the link below is correct and that both numbers are technically correct, depending on what it's a percentage of:

http://twistedmelon.com/blog/feb2011.html#02031101

Samsung has clearly been spinning numbers, and is always quoting numbers shipped to vendors. not sales, so it's almost certain that their return numbers are also based on that. So, what's most likely, and what is the least biased, most rational, conclusion, based on what we know about shipments vs. sales and Samsung's previous reporting of numbers is that it's 2% and 16%, depending on what it's a percent of.

Except I'm NOT. I clearly used the word "gimmicky" as the first comment of this thread. I'm pointing out how immediately, without really knowing anything, you dismiss this thing. Oh well, who really cares? This is the kind of bullshit opinion to expect from people around here. I don't know why I'm wasting my time.

As to the return rate, believe what you want. I'm just saying, AI never followed up on it while places like engadget did.
post #64 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Tell me again, who died and made you God?

Seriously?
post #65 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Except I'm NOT. I clearly used the word "gimmicky" as the first comment of this thread. I'm pointing out how immediately, without really knowing anything, you dismiss this thing. Oh well, who really cares? This is the kind of bullshit opinion to expect from people around here. I don't know why I'm wasting my time.

As to the return rate, believe what you want. I'm just saying, AI never followed up on it while places like engadget did.

Sounds like you are thinking of leaving us?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #66 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Slick. And you fanbois know it...

Haha are you serious? ...oh god, I think he's serious.
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
Reply
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
Reply
post #67 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

AI is the equivalent of Fox News with Apple related news. Did we ever get a follow up on that INCORRECT 16% return rate for the galaxy tab? Turns out it was only 2%, and every other tech news site I visit DID follow up. Not here. Not at Fox Ne--- I mean, Apple Insider.

Well the fact is, neither of those numbers were wrong.

Samsung claims only 2% return rate, which is a return to manufacture rate.

Some other firm did a study that showed that 16% of customers were returning the devices back to the carrier / retail outlet. Those that are not defective, do not go back to Samsung; they get repackaged and resold/discounted or are used for warranty replacements.

Why is that difficult to understand?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #68 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sounds like you are thinking of leaving us?

I've said this plenty of times: If you don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list.
post #69 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well the fact is, neither of those numbers were wrong.

Samsung claims only 2% return rate, which is a return to manufacture rate.

Some other firm did a study that showed that 16% of customers were returning the devices back to the carrier / retail outlet. Those that are not defective, do not go back to Samsung; they get repackaged and resold/discounted or are used for warranty replacements.

Why is that difficult to understand?

Following on from your excellent explanation to the hard of hearing ... It seems to me that the return to the retail level, i.e. the 16% is far worse for Samsung as it is people voting with their feet so to speak. The 2% is simply the faulty or damaged equipment which is probably about the norm for the industry (although I suspect high for Apple).
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #70 of 172
2 words, one question mark:

Battery life ?
post #71 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Except I'm NOT. I clearly used the word "gimmicky" as the first comment of this thread. I'm pointing out how immediately, without really knowing anything, you dismiss this thing. Oh well, who really cares? This is the kind of bullshit opinion to expect from people around here. I don't know why I'm wasting my time.

As to the return rate, believe what you want. I'm just saying, AI never followed up on it while places like engadget did.

You're pretty funny, even if totally lacking in self-awareness. But, yes, I agree, most of your posts are a waste of time.

As to the return rate, the issue isn't what anyone wants to believe, the issue is, what explains the apparent discrepancy in the numbers? If you weren't so biased, you might actually be able to see that there's a pretty simple explanation that fits the known facts pretty well.
post #72 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I've said this plenty of times: If you don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list.

You have said this to me? Sorry I missed that. Nooo, I enjoy the banter and you'd only get quoted anyway

p.s. I reserve the ban list for the many incarnations of you know who!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #73 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Just days before Verizon and Apple are set to begin general sales of the iPhone 4, Sprint has countered by unveiling an exclusive new Android-powered dual-touchscreen smartphone from Kyocera, a unique device touted as an "i ][/url][/c]

How thick is this thing? I noticed the demo video was very careful to not show a shot of the thickness when folded together.
post #74 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You're pretty funny, even if totally lacking in self-awareness. But, yes, I agree, most of your posts are a waste of time.

As to the return rate, the issue isn't what anyone wants to believe, the issue is, what explains the apparent discrepancy in the numbers? If you weren't so biased, you might actually be able to see that there's a pretty simple explanation that fits the known facts pretty well.

Well the funny thing is, all comments here are a waste of time. What gets accomplished?

I do learn a thing or two here and there, but other than that, you know as much as I do that this is all just light debate and if we worked together or knew each other irl, we would get along just fine
post #75 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You have said this to me? Sorry I missed that. Nooo, I enjoy the banter and you'd only get quoted anyway

p.s. I reserve the ban list for the many incarnations of you know who!

I thought I did. But you're right, it's sort of pointless with quotes. And yes I do know who
post #76 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well said. I wish a certain few people here realized that! The 'Please don't be so biased to Apple" comments are pretty stupid on a pure Apple blog!

Conversely. when someone (and there a more than a few on here) can't think for themselves and constantly state that everything and anything Apple does is perfect and everything else a total fail than that is both stupid and pretty pathetic.
post #77 of 172
I give it a week before there are hinge issues. They won't ever get fixed, just either replaced or a credit given.
post #78 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Conversely. when someone (and there a more than a few on here) can't think for themselves and constantly state that everything and anything Apple does is perfect and everything else a total fail than that is both stupid and pretty pathetic.

It's actually pretty impressive that tekstud has made it to over 280 posts in his current incarnation. I think we should start a pool to guess his post count when he finally gets banned under this alias. Moderators not eligible to participate.
post #79 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I agree with some others. This is a very niche market sort of product. It will scoop up a small handful of people who might want this sort of thing but it isn't practical for any sort of utilitarian purpose (and what features it does have will be counter-weighed by things like battery life). It makes sense in trying to grab a small market, but it is useless as a large-scale competitor.

Precisely. In no sense will this 'counter' the Verizon iPhone 4, or any other iPhone 4. Anyone who thinks this has more than 1% of the mass-market appeal of the iP4 has their head in the clouds.

This may be an 'industry first' - but why? I'm sure it's within the capability of every major phone manufacturer to make a phone with two touchscreens. Bearing that in mind, why is it an industry first? Is it because there's no demand for it?
post #80 of 172
I don't have anything intelligent to say about the phone, but that whole "after rebate" nonsense gets on my nerves. Just cut the damn price. Quit banking on those people that don't file for the rebate. Just ticks me off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint counters Verizon iPhone 4 with dual-screen Android phone