or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple quotes 4-6 weeks on MacBook Pro replacements as production likely winds down

Apple quotes 4-6 weeks on MacBook Pro replacements as production likely winds down

post #1 of 45
Ahead of an anticipated refresh of Apple's MacBook Pro lineup, the company has told some customers who need replacement machines they may need to wait four to six weeks for new hardware due to limited supply.

AppleInsider has received word that some customers who have purchased special build-to-order machines online are experiencing very long wait times for replacement hardware. Those who have a faulty custom-configured notebook are apparently being warned that replacement machines could take as long as eight weeks to arrive.

Representatives for Apple are said to be informing those customers that the average lead time for a replacement machine is between four and six weeks. One person said a company representative apologized and asked if the customer wished to be refunded.

Customers with faulty build-to-order MacBook Pros have also been given the option to make a purchase from a retail store, or buy a standard-configuration machine, of which Apple still has inventory available. One customer said that even solid state drive-based machines had a similar lead time to their traditional hard disk drive-equipped counterparts.

Apple's line of MacBook Pro notebooks are due for an update. The most recent major upgrade arrived last April, when the high-end notebooks were equipped with what was then Intel's latest Core i5 and Core i7 processors. Those chips have since been replaced by Intel's latest processors, code-named Sandy Bridge.

After Intel recently announced a design error in the chipset for its new Sandy Bridge Core processors, there became concern that the anticipated MacBook Pro refresh could be delayed. But this week Intel revealed that it has resumed shipping of processors intended for computer configurations not impacted by the design flaw.

In addition, the chipmaker said it will begin shipping a new, fixed version of its support chip, known as Cougar Point, in mid-February. Those chipsets will reportedly address a flaw that could cause degraded performance over time on some, but not all, serial-ATA ports for hard drives and DVD drives.

Intel also said that it will meet its deadline to begin shipping dual-core Sandy Bridge chips on the previously-announced launch date of Feb. 20. The Core i5 and Core i7 microprocessors, intended for notebooks like Apple's line of MacBook Pro systems, draw between 17 watts and 35 watts of power, and run at speeds between 1.4GHz and 2.7GHz.

It is rumored that Nvidia's graphics processors will not be included in at least some MacBook models 13 inches and under, as those low-end notebooks will rely only on Sandy Bridge integrated graphics from Intel. Apple's larger, high-end MacBook Pros, with screen sizes of 15 and 17 inches, will allegedly rely on graphics processors from AMD.
post #2 of 45
ok, good, let's see the new MBP!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #3 of 45
My homepage is: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

I want to upgrade so much. I've got a 3.06 GHz 15" Core 2 Duo. I'm around 19 months.
post #4 of 45
Except if Intel did a special run for Apple, did I get it right that new Intel integrated graphics lack openCL capability?
Predictions are perilous, especially about future. Niels Bohr
Predictions are perilous, especially about future. Niels Bohr
post #5 of 45
I've got a 3-year-old pre-unibody 2.2GHz 15" MBP. Still an awesome machine, and I still like the curved silver keys better than the 'chiclets'. Other companies still like to use that sexy machine in their ads when they need a computer for a prop.

But I'm hoping for something lighter with longer battery life. Been waiting to see what the spec's are on a new Macbook Pro before deciding to go with that or the top-of-the-line Macbook Air.
post #6 of 45
The 13" should ditch the optical drive and stick in a larger battery and discrete graphics. Problem solved!
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Except if Intel did a special run for Apple, did I get it right that new Intel integrated graphics lack openCL capability?

The Sandy Bridge integrated graphics are supposedly OpenCL compatible.

At least according to CNET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The 13" should ditch the optical drive and stick in a larger battery and discrete graphics. Problem solved!

I like that idea.
post #8 of 45
Quote:

I hope all models ditch the optical drive and upgrade the battery size. If so they should some external drives to those that really feel they need them, everyone else will hardly notice.

Also to further distinguish themselves from the air they should add more/upgraded ports
post #9 of 45
Quote:

I would like to see that as a no-dvd drive option for the 15' range too. I would gladly change to an external drive as I'm using DVDs less and less (maybe once a month, down from 12 times a month). I think the battery life is already pretty good but if it means we can run faster CPUs, or run cooler (mine gets very warm) or have an SSD and a big HD then I'd be happy.

R
post #10 of 45
Quote:

I'm with you, but I expect Apple calls that the 13" Mac Book Air (minus the discrete graphics).

Still hoping for an "Air like" 15" MBP.
post #11 of 45
How about SSD as the default option together with USB3.0?
post #12 of 45
I don't think Apple is ready to ditch the optical drive just yet. Although, it would be fine by me!

I don't see them giving people an option to forego the optical drive to have a larger battery in the MBP line, either.

Perhaps, they will introduce a 15" MBA and then see how the 15" MBP sales are affected. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the current MBA's sales numbers compared to the 13" MacBook and 13" MBP. I don't see Apple sharing these numbers until they introduce a 15" MBA or drop the plastic MB.

It would be a hard comparison to make, but certainly there should be a trend. I bet Apple already sees the trend and is acting accordingly! It's going to be a very interesting few months!

Best
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcha101 View Post

I would like to see that as a no-dvd drive option for the 15' range too. I would gladly change to an external drive as I'm using DVDs less and less (maybe once a month, down from 12 times a month). I think the battery life is already pretty good but if it means we can run faster CPUs, or run cooler (mine gets very warm) or have an SSD and a big HD then I'd be happy.
R

Yup. Me, too. The external optical drive for the Air is tiny and cheap. The MBP's will loose some weight, and gain some battery life. Like SJ said - one day all laptops will be built like the Air. This will be one step in that direction.
post #14 of 45
Will the new MBP retain the aluminium unibody?
post #15 of 45
I don't think this is going to be a major redesign of the MBP line. But I could be wrong! It would be fun if I was!

post #16 of 45
Quote:

I'm glad you're not running Apple. If you ever are put in charge, let me know so I can sell my stock.
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm glad you're not running Apple. If you ever are put in charge, let me know so I can sell my stock.

You better be on the ready to sell your stock because despite your desire for technology to stagnant the removal of the optical drive will happen.
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

Will the new MBP retain the aluminium unibody?

99.9% yes
post #19 of 45
It will be interesting to see how much SSDs have come down in price. At the moment the 13" MBA is priced above the MBP and if the cost of these drives has come down sufficiently we could see some interesting pricing and specs for the up coming 13" MBP.
post #20 of 45
This is the one I have been waiting for, hopefully.

Deal breakers for me:

Fast graphics - already have issues with the 27" monitor and HD movies
Lighted keys
Would really like to be able to play Starcraft, would ditch my PC finally

Nice to haves:

Now that I have the 27" monitor, the monitor on the 15" seems low res, ready to move to the high res option.
No CD drive, good with external
Just a bit lighter
Enough battery to last a 6 hour flight
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You ought to sell now, because this is coming sooner rather than later in any case.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You better be on the ready to sell your stock because despite your desire for technology to stagnant the removal of the optical drive will happen.

You're kidding aren't you? Just because someone doesn't agree with you, they're stagnant. I prefer the DVD drive. If I didn't want one then I'd get a Macbook Air. I guess you'd like the iPod Classic gone too because it's too old school for you? Sheesh!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

It will be interesting to see how much SSDs have come down in price. At the moment the 13" MBA is priced above the MBP and if the cost of these drives has come down sufficiently we could see some interesting pricing and specs for the up coming 13" MBP.

NAND hasnt really dropped in price due to the high demand. Not until we get NAND that uses the smaller process can we expect lower NAND prices for the same capacity, but that is something that ends with the SSDs, especially the ones OEMs use.

I read about people complaining about the 13 MBA being more costly than the 13 MB and MBP because of the slower processor and less storage capacity, but if you price the components they arent inexpensive. SSDs and small form factor, ultra-low voltage chips arent cheap.

Like many on this forum Im hoping for the optical drive to be removed, Apple using Core-i chips with a discreet GPU, making the battery bigger, tapering it like the new MBAs, and using that SSD card for booting but also having an option for a 2nd drive as a HDD or SSD for increased storage.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

You're kidding aren't you? Just because someone doesn't agree with you, they're stagnant. I prefer the DVD drive. If I didn't want one then I'd get a Macbook Air. I guess you'd like the iPod Classic gone too because it's too old school for you? Sheesh!!

You’re kidding aren’t you? If you have no use for a DVD drive in a notebook you assume that they don’t want increased data storage, 35W mobile CPU, discreet graphics, more than 4GB RAM, or more ports.

You’re kidding aren’t you? Not seeing where the world is heading and expecting it to stay exactly where you like it simply because you like it that way is stagnant mindset.
post #25 of 45
Never ASSume because I just happen to be one of the early adapters when it comes to tech. BUT I'm one that sees old tech can still have its uses. Btw, most of my Apple hardware has been updated within the last year and a half starting with my iPod Touch.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I've got a 3-year-old pre-unibody 2.2GHz 15" MBP. Still an awesome machine, and I still like the curved silver keys better than the 'chiclets'. Other companies still like to use that sexy machine in their ads when they need a computer for a prop.

But I'm hoping for something lighter with longer battery life. Been waiting to see what the spec's are on a new Macbook Pro before deciding to go with that or the top-of-the-line Macbook Air.

I've got a 2006 white Macbook 2.0ghz C2D woth an 80GB hd.... I'm thrilled to get something new. My power adapter failed a few months ago (second one probably, first out of pocket) and my battery just made the big system switch from "healthy" to "needs replacing." I'm not at the "battery critical" stage yet, though. Cant justify $80 on the adapter and then $129 for a new battery, so I would like them to release in the next month or two (which I know they will.) My battery did perform at basically the peak theoretical level that it could though, so I'm not ever going to complain. Ran beautifully for over 1k charge cycles, she had a great run.
post #27 of 45
Quote:

I agree with this. Most of the time when I travel I am dealing with digital content, movies, music. I never hop on a plane with a DVD and expect to make the entire flight with the drive spinning.

Someone out there should invent an external DVD drive with a built in battery, that would be cool.
post #28 of 45
Quote:

Only if they still leave room in that bay for a second hard drive. I'd love to have a 64-128gb SSD for OS, Application, and Swap and still have a traditional hard drive for on-board data (lugging an external isn't particularly convenient, especially on an airplane or even a coffee shop).

Or, do what Sony used to do. Make that bay flexible. Optical drive for those who want one, SSD as BTO for those who want a screaming machine, or additional battery as a BTO for those who want incredibly long life...

It'll never happen, but one can dream...
post #29 of 45
Quote:

Never ASSume because I just happen to be one of the early adapters when it comes to tech. BUT I'm one that sees old tech can still have its uses. Btw, most of my Apple hardware has been updated within the last year and a half starting with my iPod Touch.

An optical drive WILL still have its uses for some for some years to come.

Which is why you'll be able to attach an external one on those occasions (you can put it right next to your mini-floppy drive perhaps) and the those who are past needing one will have a thinner, sleeker, more capable machine that's moved where the world is heading.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermac77 View Post

My homepage is: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

I want to upgrade so much. I've got a 3.06 GHz 15" Core 2 Duo. I'm around 19 months.

I have the 2010 MBP i7 and can tell you the difference from the Core 2 Duo is staggering. So the 2011 versions should make your eyes water. Enjoy.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I agree with this. Most of the time when I travel I am dealing with digital content, movies, music. I never hop on a plane with a DVD and expect to make the entire flight with the drive spinning.

Someone out there should invent an external DVD drive with a built in battery, that would be cool.

Or even a self powered solid state drive large enough for a few movies, DVDs are a pain. I always put a few movies on the hard drive for flights, it takes far less power to run them that way than spinning a DVD plus they are HD. However, even that saps the MBP's battery faster than I'd like.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

An optical drive WILL still have its uses for some for some years to come.

Which is why you'll be able to attach an external one on those occasions (you can put it right next to your mini-floppy drive perhaps) and the those who are past needing one will have a thinner, sleeker, more capable machine that's moved where the world is heading.

Some of you are just not thinking. Let me put it to you in simpler terms, "NOT ALL SOFTWARE, MOVIES, ETC. ARE IN DIGITAL FORM!!" I still have and get Install/Restore Disks!! I still get DVD Movies I have to rip and convert to mp4. I still get other company's software ONLY available on disk. I do not want to have to carry an external drive around. So BLAH, BLAH, BLAH I still need an optical drive.

p.s. I went to update a few apps at the app store and I didn't see Quicktime Pro. I still need to get it from Apples web site.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have the 2010 MBP i7 and can tell you the difference from the Core 2 Duo is staggering. So the 2011 versions should make your eyes water. Enjoy.

Great. I'm planning to go from 4GB to 8GB, 15" to 17", 3.06GHz to highest custom ordered, and, depending on the price, 500GB to an SSD. If the Core 2 Duo to i7 is a big jump, I'm in for a wild ride. Patience pays off.
post #34 of 45
Quote:

Some of you are just not thinking. Let me put it to you in simpler terms, "NOT ALL SOFTWARE, MOVIES, ETC. ARE IN DIGITAL FORM!!" I still have and get Install/Restore Disks!! I still get DVD Movies I have to rip and convert to mp4. I still get other company's software ONLY available on disk. I do not want to have to carry an external drive around. So BLAH, BLAH, BLAH I still need an optical drive.

p.s. I went to update a few apps at the app store and I didn't see Quicktime Pro. I still need to get it from Apples web site.

Too bad - you're quickly become a minority. Get an external drive.

And QuickTime Pro has been discontinued for a while. People just don't need all those old legacy formats any more. The new QuickTime player exports in H.264.
post #35 of 45
Big props to the current unibody model. The unibody is a gigantic upgrade in durability. Hopefully the new 13" MBP will have new chips other than Core 2 Duo. That will be quite a desktop replacement, indeed.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Too bad - you're quickly become a minority. Get an external drive.

And QuickTime Pro has been discontinued for a while. People just don't need all those old legacy formats any more. The new QuickTime player exports in H.264.

Quicktime Pro? I doubt it. Go to Apples web site.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODUzOA

External Drive? Guess again? I have four external HDDs!! Two 1 TB and two 2 TB plus an assortment of portable USB drives. I also have a external DVD burner hooked up to my 24" iMac. Although not hooked up I DO have a USB floppy!!

Btw, for some apps I still need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component!! Do you even know what QuickTime does?
post #37 of 45
It's really stunning that AppleInsider doesn't seem to have its Apple insider sources any more. Everything seems like guess work and regurgitation of analysts' reports, like the shit Shaw Wu comes up with. I remember reading about specific details on unreleased hardware & was like whoa this site has the edge. But that seems non-existent now...
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

It's really stunning that AppleInsider doesn't seem to have its Apple insider sources any more. Everything seems like guess work and regurgitation of analysts' reports, like the shit Shaw Wu comes up with. I remember reading about specific details on unreleased hardware & was like whoa this site has the edge. But that seems non-existent now...

ThinkSecret is who used to really come up with good stuff.
post #39 of 45
Please move all the laptops off Core 2 platform. It's a been very long transition to Core i, and its about time that all macbooks moved to at least a core i3.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #40 of 45
Is anyone else here afraid that some of these flawed chips will make it into the new MBPs? If I was buying this revision, I'd probably hold back until I was CERTAIN the flawed chips were not in these machines.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple quotes 4-6 weeks on MacBook Pro replacements as production likely winds down