or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › WSJ: Apple now manufacturing next-gen iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WSJ: Apple now manufacturing next-gen iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The importance of the screen resolution is to keep both the iPad, iTouch, and iPhone within divisible numbers for the developers.

Using non-divisible numbers creates odd resolutions that have to be supported.

This has been repeated ad nauseam. I think we will still be talking about this when apple really releases their iPad retina display model, and further beyond. People are usually ignorant, and when not, just plain stupid.
post #42 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

No higher resolution. No sale.

My wife and I really wanted to buy one. We'll reconsider with v3.

Higher resolution is a ridiculous notion. I am definitely getting the second gen.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #43 of 74
Just make it so I don't need to but a $40 non-glare film (that won't last more than 6 months) over it please.
post #44 of 74
There is a difference between something being lower quality and lower resolution. Quality refers to the build of the product. The other is just the functionality of the device.

Further, I think you guys are nuts. You buy something because you have a need for it or it would enhance the quality of your life. To wait another year for something that achieves those things now doesn't make a lot of sense.

My step brother has a current version iPad. It is much easier to read on then his current version iPhone (I'm on a 3GS unlocked on T-Mobile). The overall size of the screen makes up for the lower pixel density.


The effect by the way on the iPhone of the pixels touching the glass doesn't have to do with the resolution or pixel count. It has to do with Apple doing away with the layer of plastic that traditionally separates the LCD and touch screen. Instead, Apple fuses the LCD directly to the touchscreen so the pixels appear much closer then with a traditional screen. It is possible for Apple to improve the screen on the iPad by implementing this process, but not increase the pixel count. The result would still be a better viewing experience. Like always though Apple's challenge is to bring a great product to market at a reasonable price. Sometimes compromises have to made to achieve those results.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Same here. I'm primarily interested in it for reading material and a place to do some basic writing or not taking, but I don't think I could use a tablet with a screen of significantly lower quality than my phone. iPhone 4's printed page quality with the pixels seemingly on the surface of the glass has spoilt me.
post #45 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

I'm convinced investors saw the Motorola Xoom Superbowl ad and thought it was the iPad 2. That's why it jumped up suddenly.

I saw the Xoom ad and laughed. More "me too" products from a company that just can't develop an original idea.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OMG I just hit 4000 posts ... I need to get a life.

Not gonna happen! Believe me.... LOL.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #47 of 74
It's not really the non-glare I'm looking for, but a screen you can see with sunglasses on. I have polarized lenses and the iPad screen is nearly black at full bright. I have no trouble seeing the iPhone 4 under same conditions. Frustrating in the car and on the road, where the iPad should be at its best.

Maybe the new screen design will remedy this-
post #48 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OMG I just hit 4000 posts ... I need to get a life.

Don't. You are needed here.
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's why I wondered if there might be an optional and expensive high end iPad2. You know, the 'Limited Edition'. You never know.

That's been my guess too - an iPad HR. Next year the whole iPad line would be HR. But most seem to think it very unlikely that Apple would bifurcate the line. I am not so sure - adding a high-end high-resolution device could be most beneficial. It would bring in a premium revenue and would allow the display manufacturers the time to improve their yield while scaling their production.
post #50 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

How about Apple stops cheaping out and puts in 1 gig like everyone else in the world?

See, you just lost all credibility right there.

Care to name who else is there as iPad's competitor today?
post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There is a difference between something being lower quality and lower resolution. Quality refers to the build of the product. The other is just the functionality of the device.

Yes, thank you, but I'm not an idiot. I'm aware of the difference. But the resolution of the screen contributes to its quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Further, I think you guys are nuts. You buy something because you have a need for it or it would enhance the quality of your life. To wait another year for something that achieves those things now doesn't make a lot of sense.

Except for the fact that I'm a Student, and therefore not rich, and I only want to buy one ultraportable in the next 3 years. Hence, I am only going to do so when the experience meets my - full - requirements. I don't want to buy an iPad 2, then find that the 2012 model has the screen I wanted. Especially since I will be buying it subsidised with a Wireless Service Agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

My step brother has a current version iPad. It is much easier to read on then his current version iPhone (I'm on a 3GS unlocked on T-Mobile). The overall size of the screen makes up for the lower pixel density.

I'm a video snob. I've used the iPad, and the screen, whilst nice, does not have the amazing, beautiful appearance and quality of the iPhone 4 screen. It's not just about readability - bigger letters are inherently easier to read - it's about the visual quality. My iPhone 4 wows me. iPad does not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The effect by the way on the iPhone of the pixels touching the glass doesn't have to do with the resolution or pixel count. It has to do with Apple doing away with the layer of plastic that traditionally separates the LCD and touch screen. Instead, Apple fuses the LCD directly to the touchscreen so the pixels appear much closer then with a traditional screen.

I'm aware of that. I never said anything about it relating to the resolution, I was simply listing more of the ways in which the iPhone 4 screen is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is possible for Apple to improve the screen on the iPad by implementing this process, but not increase the pixel count. The result would still be a better viewing experience.

Sure, but it would still be markedly inferior to the iPhone 4. It is not any one of the ways in which iPhone 4's screen is superior to the iPad's that I want to see on iPad, it's everything that makes the iPhone 4's screen superior that I want to see on the iPad's.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #52 of 74
I will wait for next year. I'm just warming up to my current iPad. It took awhile. I feel like it is still brand new. I don't need anything better right now. I just need to find the time or reasons to use it more. I do feel that it it is under utilized at the moment. I like it but definitely can't justify replacing it at this point. I barely use it 5 hours a week. Between my iMacs, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, and iPhone, I'm already over my quota with Apple hardware.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #53 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Why does the iPad's ppi have to beat the Xoom's? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, I seriously doubt the Xoom will sell in the same volumes that the iPad is expected to. Apple has to stick with technologies that can be manufactured in massive quantities, they don't have the luxury of being able to adopt any thing else.

Finally, the resolution of the iPad is fine for it's intended use, which is from your lap, not directly in front of your face like an iPod or iPhone. On my lap I can barely see any pixelation.

obviously you are speaking from a stockholder point of view. however, as a consumer, i want the best features available on the market. if the xoom offers better features, then the xoom is the better choice; it's that simple.
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

obviously you are speaking from a stockholder point of view. however, as a consumer, i want the best features available on the market. if the xoom offers better features, then the xoom is the better choice; it's that simple.

Consumers don't think that way at all. Geeks think that way. Geeks are feature whores. Consumers just want their device to work and be easy to use.
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

I'm convinced investors saw the Motorola Xoom Superbowl ad and thought it was the iPad 2. That's why it jumped up suddenly.

I'm convinced that they saw the presales of the Verizon iPhone and decided Steve Jobs health didn't matter that much.
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I'm convinced that they saw the presales of the Verizon iPhone and decided Steve Jobs health didn't matter that much.

So true. If Verizon sells just 2 million iPhones it adds 1.2 billion in revenues to Apples top line. Yowzers!
post #57 of 74
Does a "thinner" form factor imply that the iPad v2 will take its cues from the iPhone 4 (i.e., front and back glass panels wreathed in aluminum)?

Also, wasn't there an article recently here at AI arguing that increasing the screen resolution on future iPads was not merely an aesthetic goal, but practically a necessity dictated by resolution independence in iOS?

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Does a "thinner" form factor imply that the iPad v2 will take its cues from the iPhone 4 (i.e., front and back glass panels wreathed in aluminum)?

Also, wasn't there an article recently here at AI arguing that increasing the screen resolution on future iPads was not merely an aesthetic goal, but practically a necessity dictated by resolution independence in iOS?

I don't think that they would add another panel of glass to it. Not at all. Carbon-fiber, Liquid-Metal, aluminum, plastic, whatever, but I can assure you it wont be glass-backed. What a nightmare that would be!
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

No higher resolution. No sale.

My wife and I really wanted to buy one. We'll reconsider with v3.

I've heard it rumoured that iPad V3 will have the same resolution as the current model so you may want to hold out for iPad V4 ... or V5
post #60 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post

I don't think I need the "retina display" but the iPhone 4 has spoiled me a little. Doubling the iPad's resolution (instead of quadrupling) would be awesome because I don't hold my iPad as close to my face as I hold the iPhone.

Lighter, absolutely. Thiner... fine. The faster processor is a given. They have to. More storage is also something fairly obvious I think. Front facing camera for FaceTime, please. No rear one is needed. I honestly think the rear camera would be a waste of space. They might put it in to keep up with the Joneses, but it's certainly not necessary.

I really don't know what else is needed on the iPad. EXCEPT FOR FLASH. I'll keep on asking for it as long as just about every restaurant website and many other vanity websites are written in Flash. Give me a disclaimer saying that turning this switch will cause more crashing... anything... I just want to be able to see every website. I mostly read blogs, but the not-so-rare time I go to a site with Flash, I'd like to be able to see it.

The day Apple puts Flash on any of their iDevices is the day I stop buying them.
Flash is evil on my MBP, if it wasn't for click to flash, I would be constantly bombarded with ads that overheat my battery and slow down my computer.
I HATE Flash, and if this bothers you that you can't get Flash, go elsewhere, you can try Android or windoze crap.
post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

That's Apple's MO. Faster, lighter, thinner. I just hope the back is not going to be plastic like the 3G and 3Gs iPhones were. I really like my iPhone 4 over the 3Gs I had.

I was an early adopter for the iPhone and it was worth the price of admission just for visual voicemail, contact management and email.

I would have bought the first gen. iPad, but the recession kind of kicked me in the nuts. Hope to get version 2.

As far as resolution, I have the iPhone 4 and it is fantastic. I've used the iPad in the stores and it looks fine, too. I think the lack of Retina display is a non-issue at this point.

Best

I think Apple has learned their lesson about using cheap materials. I will admit that my 3Gs feels very sturdy and well put together compared to most plastic phones out there, but it is still plastic. And plastic will never feel as well designed or as good in the hand as glass, metal, or other stronger materials. I am VERY ready for iPhone 5 to come out. The wife-approved upgrade cycle for me is every other phone, so I had to skip the 4.
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'd really like to see a resolution doubled screen on iPad 2, but if the tech isn't ready it isn't ready. What should be ready and will make or break iPad 2 is the following:
  1. 1GB of RAM. As others have said RAM is dirt cheap these days and the platform could really use it.
  2. A CORTEX A9 based processor. Two cores minimal and running at a higher maximum clock rate. It would be extre nice if the machine came with four cores. Oh the processor needs to be built on SAMSUNGs newest 32/28nm process.
  3. Updated GPU. If the screen resolution doesn't change this could be a minor bump. If the resolution does get bumped up the performance here will have to more than Quadrupal. It is the GPU that has me question whether or not the screen gets double resolution. The screen isn't a problem to manufacture, getting suitable GPU preformance out of a low power GPU is.
  4. Built in GPS even in the cell free models.
  5. SD slot

6 USB port(s)
7 HDMI video and audio out.

I'll be waiting for iPad 3 or iPad 4, or if Apple does not want to deliver something good enough to replace my laptop, I will get something else.

BTW, the GPU's are easy, current gen has about double the performance of the iPhone 4 GPU per core and you can use multiple cores. See the new PSP device with quad core CPU and quadcore GPU.

Sounds like I will be waiting for iPad 3 or iPad 4. Or maybe Google will figure it out first and I'll end up with an Android 4 or Android 5 tablet.
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

The day Apple puts Flash on any of their iDevices is the day I stop buying them.
Flash is evil on my MBP, if it wasn't for click to flash, I would be constantly bombarded with ads that overheat my battery and slow down my computer.
I HATE Flash, and if this bothers you that you can't get Flash, go elsewhere, you can try Android or windoze crap.

I would like to see click to flash for the iPhone and iPad.

Occasionally I will come across a flash video I would like to see on my iPad or iPhone. Not often, but every now and then. The next iPhone, if it comes with a cortex a9 which is highly likely, should have no trouble playing flash videos smoothly. Of course it would negatively affect battery life, hence my desire for click to flash.
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post

I don't think I need the "retina display" but the iPhone 4 has spoiled me a little. Doubling the iPad's resolution (instead of quadrupling) would be awesome because I don't hold my iPad as close to my face as I hold the iPhone.

Lighter, absolutely. Thiner... fine. The faster processor is a given. They have to. More storage is also something fairly obvious I think. Front facing camera for FaceTime, please. No rear one is needed. I honestly think the rear camera would be a waste of space. They might put it in to keep up with the Joneses, but it's certainly not necessary.

I really don't know what else is needed on the iPad. EXCEPT FOR FLASH. I'll keep on asking for it as long as just about every restaurant website and many other vanity websites are written in Flash. Give me a disclaimer saying that turning this switch will cause more crashing... anything... I just want to be able to see every website. I mostly read blogs, but the not-so-rare time I go to a site with Flash, I'd like to be able to see it.

Personally I think Flash is garbage in it's current state. I wish Adobe would just get off their asses and put in the time and money to improve their desktop and most importantly their mobile offerings. If they absolutely refuse, then I think flash should be killed off in favor of HTML5 and/or other better alternatives. With that said, I have been curious about this for awhile, so I will ask you...

Do you think it is possible for Apple to come up with some sort of plug-in functionality that could display Flash content, without having to have flash on the iPad/iPhone? Like say for example how Flip4Mac will display windows media player files on a mac?
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

The day Apple puts Flash on any of their iDevices is the day I stop buying them.
Flash is evil on my MBP, if it wasn't for click to flash, I would be constantly bombarded with ads that overheat my battery and slow down my computer.
I HATE Flash, and if this bothers you that you can't get Flash, go elsewhere, you can try Android or windoze crap.

You do realize that you can uninstall or disable flash on Macs, PCs, and Android? Just because you hate it does not mean that it is not useful, desirable, or even required for other people. God forbid anyone have a CHOICE?
post #66 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

No higher resolution. No sale.

My wife and I really wanted to buy one. We'll reconsider with v3.

I personally like what I hear - a nice incremental update with the camera and added performance while containing the cost. Good stuff. Should perform nicely - higher resolution now would have almost certainly meant a performance hit or a cost increase to avoid that hit (as my thermo Prof used to say "there is no such thing as a free lunch").

Would I like more resolution? You bet.
Am I willing to take a performance hit? Hell no!
Would I pay $100 more to solve that issue and have both? Probably, but there are a bunch that would not and it is for that reason that I think it is a wise configuration (if it is to be believed at all).

Just my two cents. You can keep the change!
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Personally I think Flash is garbage in it's current state. I wish Adobe would just get off their asses and put in the time and money to improve their desktop and most importantly their mobile offerings. If they absolutely refuse, then I think flash should be killed off in favor of HTML5 and/or other better alternatives. With that said, I have been curious about this for awhile, so I will ask you...

Do you think it is possible for Apple to come up with some sort of plug-in functionality that could display Flash content, without having to have flash on the iPad/iPhone? Like say for example how Flip4Mac will display windows media player files on a mac?

You bet, there are a couple of folks that have done it already (Gordon is the first one that comes to mind). One of the problems with a Flash substitute for iOS as-is is that it is done using JavaScript. Apple could solve that but it would change the rules substantially. The possible patent and intellectual property issues are a real biggie though. Nice idea though.
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

6 USB port(s)
7 HDMI video and audio out.

I'll be waiting for iPad 3 or iPad 4, or if Apple does not want to deliver something good enough to replace my laptop, I will get something else.

BTW, the GPU's are easy, current gen has about double the performance of the iPhone 4 GPU per core and you can use multiple cores. See the new PSP device with quad core CPU and quadcore GPU.

Sounds like I will be waiting for iPad 3 or iPad 4. Or maybe Google will figure it out first and I'll end up with an Android 4 or Android 5 tablet.

If you want everything you can do on a laptop then I think your wait is much longer than iPad3 or iPad4. But you don't want a laptop equivalent - where in the heck can you find a laptop with 6 USB ports and 7 HDMI video in/out ports. Hell my brand new HDTV doesn't even have that many HDMI ports nor have I seen one.

Not asking for much here are we - keeping dreaming. Just don't freak out when you wake up.
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

If you want everything you can do on a laptop then I think your wait is much longer than iPad3 or iPad4. But you don't want a laptop equivalent - where in the heck can you find a laptop with 6 USB ports and 7 HDMI video in/out ports. Hell my brand new HDTV doesn't even have that many HDMI ports nor have I seen one.

Not asking for much here are we - keeping dreaming. Just don't freak out when you wake up.

I was adding items 6 and 7 to the list I quoted that went from 1 to 5.
post #70 of 74
wrong forum
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

No higher resolution. No sale.

My wife and I really wanted to buy one. We'll reconsider with v3.

This is a none issue for me. i would rather have all the "other" improvements ie more memory, faster CPU, thinner, lighter. I dont even care for the front/rear facing camera. Just lower the price a little ( even $50 less) and Apple will sell millions...
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Yes, thank you, but I'm not an idiot. I'm aware of the difference. But the resolution of the screen contributes to its quality.

There are several factors that contribute to the quality of a display beyond resolution. Back when Apple first began to use LED backlit displays in their laptops. LED backlit displays did not yet come in 1920x1200.

Others like Dell and HP were using 1920x1200 resolution displays that used fluorescent backlighting. People criticized Apple for not offering a 1920x1200 resolution laptop.

But even at lower resolution the LED backlit displays clearly looked much better than the older fluorescent displays.


Quote:
Except for the fact that I'm a Student, and therefore not rich, and I only want to buy one ultraportable in the next 3 years. Hence, I am only going to do so when the experience meets my - full - requirements. I don't want to buy an iPad 2, then find that the 2012 model has the screen I wanted. Especially since I will be buying it subsidised with a Wireless Service Agreement.

With that thought process when do you buy anything? There will always be a better version.

The 2013 model will have something better than the 2012 model.


Quote:
I'm a video snob. I've used the iPad, and the screen, whilst nice, does not have the amazing, beautiful appearance and quality of the iPhone 4 screen. It's not just about readability - bigger letters are inherently easier to read - it's about the visual quality. My iPhone 4 wows me. iPad does not.

I think this has as much to do with the pixels of iP4 being closer to the glass as it does the increase in resolution.

I guarantee the screen used in the iPad 2 will look better than the screen used in the original.


Quote:
Sure, but it would still be markedly inferior to the iPhone 4. It is not any one of the ways in which iPhone 4's screen is superior to the iPad's that I want to see on iPad, it's everything that makes the iPhone 4's screen superior that I want to see on the iPad's.

You have to understand that Apple can only use what is available to use right now.
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

6 USB port(s)
7 HDMI video and audio out.

Apple is clearly moving beyond hardware ports into using wireless networks for data transfer.

Quote:
BTW, the GPU's are easy, current gen has about double the performance of the iPhone 4 GPU per core and you can use multiple cores. See the new PSP device with quad core CPU and quadcore GPU.

A list of specs for a device that does not yet exist.

Quote:
Or maybe Google will figure it out first and I'll end up with an Android 4 or Android 5 tablet.

Google doesn't make hardware.
post #74 of 74
Actually the popularity of iOS will force everyone to develop pure HTML sites that don't require Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post

I really don't know what else is needed on the iPad. EXCEPT FOR FLASH. I'll keep on asking for it as long as just about every restaurant website and many other vanity websites are written in Flash. Give me a disclaimer saying that turning this switch will cause more crashing... anything... I just want to be able to see every website. I mostly read blogs, but the not-so-rare time I go to a site with Flash, I'd like to be able to see it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › WSJ: Apple now manufacturing next-gen iPads