or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP to take on with Apple with webOS-based TouchPad, Pre 3

HP to take on with Apple with webOS-based TouchPad, Pre 3 - Page 5

post #161 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup, so obvious all tablets before the iPad looked like the iPad

Sure, after someone shows you the best way to do it, it's easy to say it's "blindingly obvious".

But if it was so blindingly obvious why did they not appear until after the iPad?

Your irrationality with this line of "reasoning" is just laughable.

You're exactly right.

All great ideas seem simple and obvious after-the-fact. Yet, no one steps back and asks, 'if it was so simple, how come no one did it before?'

(Btw, I clearly remember the many snarky comments about the 'ugly, wasted real estate' iPad bezel when SJ first previewed it! Forget even the bezel for the moment -- it's so easy to overlook the fact that before the iPhone, outside of universities and R&D labs, no one had a clue as to how to implement touch as a means of interacting with your computer).
post #162 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

This is just a few, I'm sure there is more!

Those are the main ones and more than enough!

The price thing is huge. If they keep the 16GB WiFi only iPad 1 and knock the price down $100 they will absolutely suck the oxygen out of the tablet market.

Either that or suddenly 5" tablets will bet the next best thing and have all kinds of advantages over those 10" tablets that "other" company is selling
post #163 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

At Best Buy, though, they might well steer you to the HP, unless they were making more money off one of the others

Not just BestBuy - manufactures like HP often offer SPIFs - I highly doubt Apple offers such things.

Technically it's not a commission from BestBuy - it's from the manufacturer. I dunno if they allow SPIFs - I haven't found anything conclusively one way or the other, but in this day and age if you aren't a little wary of sales people then shame on you.
post #164 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And how many people who do want a computer are like that? Tens of thousands, hundreds, millions, tens of millions?

There's far more of them than there is of us....
post #165 of 198
Quote:

Not just BestBuy - manufactures like HP often offer SPIFs - I highly doubt Apple offers such things.

Technically it's not a commission from BestBuy - it's from the manufacturer. I dunno if they allow SPIFs - I haven't found anything conclusively one way or the other, but in this day and age if you aren't a little wary of sales people then shame on you.

When we were an Apple reseller in 1978-1989' Apple offered SPIFs -- as did most of the hardware and software mfgrs.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #166 of 198
Looks good to me. But Web OS on phones was good, Palm failed with it because they were too late, and couldn't muster developer support in the face of the App store, and latterly Android. Whether HP can sell the TouchPad/WebOS to developers as a platform to write for, will determine it's fate.

RE WebOS on a PC.

Back in the dark pre-iPad days, attempts at tablets failed because they were by and large attempts to put a desktop OS, on a tablet.

iOS succeeded because it was a ground-up purpose designed touch-interface OS. Not a desktop OS, shoehorned onto a slate device. Witnessed MicroSoft's repeated failure in phones, because until WP7, they were obsessed with attempting to recreate the Windows experience on a phone/pda.

Now, it seems HP are making the exact same mistake in reverse. They are assuming that taking a touch-based OS (a fairly decent one) and adapting it for Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad to work on desktop computer is a good thing. It isn't. For a desktop or laptop, you need an OS designed for one.
post #167 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Certainly, HP has the buying power to buy things in bulk, but it sounds like Apple got first jump on securing best price by ordering early for screens and flash.

actually, tho larger than Apple by total revenues, in December HP reported it only had $11 billion in cash/equivalents, versus $22 billion in debt. whereas Apple last month reported $60 billion in cash/equivalents and $-0- debt!!

so, no, as a matter of fact HP CANNOT match Apple's ability to quickly lay out billions in advance to nail down its supply chain at best price. no one in the world can.
post #168 of 198
Quote:

My impression, based solely on the engadget live blog images, was that these were PCs running webOS, not Windows machines with a webOS layer:

Looks like a boot screen, but really no details.

I believe it will be dual boot option.

HP already has it on some machines, likewise Asus. Asus calls it Express Gate and has web browser, photos, games (Flash based), instant messenger and Skype. It is claimed to boot in 5 seconds and, I believe, is based on some slim version of Linux.

Since HP owns WebOS, it sounds logical that they will utilize it instead of Linux wherever they can - desktops, laptops, printers and multifunctionals....
post #169 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

actually, tho larger than Apple by total revenues, in December HP reported it only had $11 billion in cash/equivalents, versus $22 billion in debt. whereas Apple last month reported $60 billion in cash/equivalents and $-0- debt!!

so, no, as a matter of fact HP CANNOT match Apple's ability to quickly lay out billions in advance to nail down its supply chain at best price. no one in the world can.

Good point! I'm sure there a lot more large companies that are "Debt-Free" but Apple and Toyota are the only ones that come to mind!

Best
post #170 of 198
Quote:

Palm was "borked" long before Rubenstein ever got there.

I wasn't referring to Palm, the company. I was referring to Rubenstein's handling of the Pre.

I was a Palm developer for several years in the late 90's early 2000's. That company was run buy a bunch of monkeys. Palm had a huge (and loyal) developer base and they basically abandoned them and took the money and ran.

They burned a lot of developers and we're still bitter to this day. When the Pre was introduced, certain folks in management asked me to return to develop. I told those folks (friends for years) that I will never develop for them again, because even though the players have changed (Rubenstein), the corporate culture monkeys did not. After the Pre crashed-and-burned, again due to monkey-acts, those folks that tried to get me to come back to the platform had quit their jobs at Palm and told me afterwards that management hasn't changed at all and it was terrible working at Palm. Zero employee-morale.

The Pre actually had a shot. It was a long-shot, but they royally screwed it up and Rubenstein showed zero talent for taking the initiative. This is what I was referring to.

Palm was flatlining long before Rubenstein was around and thanks to him, he essentially was the final nail in Palm's coffin.

I obviously fail to understand what HP sees in Rubenstein's ability. I guess he must have sweet-talked them by playing his "I used to work at Apple" card.

I would actually like to see WebOS succeed. I think it's a better, more polished system than Android will ever be. But it still needs some serious attention if it expects to go up against iOS.
post #171 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Gruber has some interesting ideas posted on his site:

http://daringfireball.net/

He thinks that Apple will release the iPad 2 in March, and follow that with another iPad in Sep-Oct -- possibly an additional high-end model, say an iPad HD with a retina display.

Interesting analysis behind this.

If this were to happen, my Big Question is: What does Apple do for an entry iPad in March?

My iSWAG estimate for the answer is the 32GB WiFi iPad gen 1 is offered at $299.

Game, Set and Match!

I don't think he's right.
post #172 of 198
Quote:

There's far more of them than there is of us....

I don't know. Over 300 million computers sold last year.
post #173 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I disagree completely.

Look at their phones. They obviously think that physical keyboards and a more oval-ish shape matter to their target segment.

Why not put a stake in the ground and create a like-looking Touchpad with a physical keyboard and similar shape to that of their phone? It would at least have had the elan (and boldness) of design parallelism.

In their defence, I do know handful of business users who still feel they could not do phone without physical keyboard. It always boils down to blind typing while walking/driving/whatever.

Some of them I know have tried various Androids and iPhone, and some of them actually have second phone (iPhone or Android) and use them as personal devices, for media, music, games on the go... but still stick to BBs and Nokias for business.

I'd like to see keyboardless webOS phone, but I believe there's still market for keyboards. Does new Pre have virtual keyboard as well? Having full size screen (vs. BBs half size screens) and both physical and virtual keyboard could be handy for some users.
post #174 of 198
Good points and I will pickup on one...I know a lot of people are forced to have a business phone and a personal phone, but I would hate to have to charge, update, and take care of two phones. Never mind having to carry two of them around all day! Uggh! That would be worse than working in a cubicle on a desktop all day! Ugggh!

Best
post #175 of 198
Quote:

Yup, so obvious all tablets before the iPad looked like the iPad

Sure, after someone shows you the best way to do it, it's easy to say it's "blindingly obvious".

But if it was so blindingly obvious why did they not appear until after the iPad?

Your irrationality with this line of "reasoning" is just laughable.

Oh go away, silly man.

Can't stand being misquoted. I was talking about the dock, as was clear.

I am as big a fan of Apple's products as anyone but it's defensive facetiousness like that that gives rise the 'fanboi' moniker.
post #176 of 198
I think HP should take a good look at Nokia's tacit admission that they are losing the smartphone race to iOS and Android (Stephen Elop's "burning platform"). if HP wants to beat both Apple and Google in the phone & tablet business, they should assess their competitive position. I mean, Microsoft hasn't won back their lost phone OS marketshare (but these are the Ballmer years, so that may not mean much), and Palm managed to squeak out a tiny slice against Apple, RIM, and all the other handset makers. What's so new and different about HP's webOS that would make me give a rip?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #177 of 198
Quote:

I don't think he's right.

On his major point, that we are at the beginning of the "post PC era" -- I agree with Gruber.

You and I have been around through the mainframe, mini, micro, then Personal Computer eras,

The one that personally slapped me in the face was when I bought a $2700 Apple ][ and realized that I had as much compute power as some of the 360 mainframes that my Employer, IBM, rented for several times more per month.

This, the "post PC era". started with the iPod, then the iPhone, now the iPad.

The iPod set the stage: the iPhone drew the attention -- and the iPad is going to bring computing to the masses... the real masses.

I can feel it in my gut!

I bet you can, too!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #178 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think HP should take a good look at Nokia's tacit admission that they are losing the smartphone race to iOS and Android (Stephen Elop's "burning platform"). if HP wants to beat both Apple and Google in the phone & tablet business, they should assess their competitive position. I mean, Microsoft hasn't won back their lost phone OS marketshare (but these are the Ballmer years, so that may not mean much), and Palm managed to squeak out a tiny slice against Apple, RIM, and all the other handset makers. What's so new and different about HP's webOS that would make me give a rip?

Here's an article that responds to that thought:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/...os-android-417
post #179 of 198
Quote:

On his major point, that we are at the beginning of the "post PC era" -- I agree with Gruber.

You and I have been around through the mainframe, mini, micro, then Personal Computer eras,

The one that personally slapped me in the face was when I bought a $2700 Apple ][ and realized that I had as much compute power as some of the 360 mainframes that my Employer, IBM, rented for several times more per month.

The iPod set the stage: the iPhone drew the attention -- and the iPad is going to bring computing to the masses... the real masses.

I can feel it in my gut!

I bet you can, too!

I agree with that, and it isn't even his idea. A lot of writers have been saying it. He's late to the game.

I don't agree with his idea that Apple will introduce an iPad3 in August or September.
post #180 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Not releasing a non hardware keyboard 3.5" - 4" phone to compete with the iPhone and any number of Android and wp7 devices is the single most idiotic move by HP period.

Might as well be one sacrificial goat here who wishes Apple would release a model WITH a physical keyboard. They have their advantages which have been pointed out countless times, so won't rehash that.

My point is that it might only be the preference of 20-30%, but given the volumes of iDevices expected, that's still millions of units of potential sales Apple might be leaving to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post

Then Gates stole the interface, made the PC and Apple was temporarily forgotten. Who will be the Bill Gates of this generation.

Not so sure the smartphone and tablet wars will play out at all the same way as the PC OS wars did for lots of reasons.

Then: PC's were new and there was no real infrastructure for personal computing. IBM's backing made MS the winner. To the market at the time Jobs and Woz were two kids from a garage, and IBM owned 80%+ of the ENTIRE world computing market. People bet on the big boy. Commodore, TI and other wannabes wilted away and Apple survived its near death experience partly to help MS avoid anti-trust issues that might have caused them to have been broken up.

Now: The OS isn't really the entire battlefield this time. Because there is already a huge and established infrastructure for digital life - full of protocols and standards - for both companies and ordinary people, and because the Web is the ultimate OS, and more and more, the function of the device OS is measured in terms of how it gets users and data to and from there.

I'm hardly the first to point out that many of today's "apps" are merely conduits to the web that do something from irrelevant to fairly interesting with that connection, and that most of these are much more easily portable to multiple platforms than "programs" ever were (or are) between Macs and Windows machines.

So fewer opportunities for "killer apps" - because the internet IS where most of the important parts of the killer apps (like facebook, YouTube, gmail/hotmail, Windows Live/Google Docs and of course AppleInsider) are going to do most of their work already.

And everybody's tablets and smart phones (over the next few years) will become pretty proficient at the range of tasks most users want to accomplish and their interface quirks will improve. So a greater number of players can stick around this time.

Sun had it right in their vision, but well too far ahead of the reality for them: "The Net(work) Is the Computer."

And this time, on the device end - and the OS end - there are LOTS of big, well-captialized, long-standing companies (and partners of those and partners of those) in the fray.

Apple's well positioned to remain the market leader for the near term (as a single company - not necessarily arrayed against the entire world-wide Android industrial complex, e.g.) - and to remain the trend setter and premium experience provider for longer than that.

However, their long-term future depends on factors other than the fine interface and spec points we love to debate here.

First, they have to keep inventing entirely new device and interface classes that create new industries - they can never rest on being only in markets where all these competitors are. I have no idea what these will be, but I'll bet there's plenty of skunk works going on at Apple. They can do this because so far, everyone else is simply concentrating on getting into the markets Apple's already created, while they're free and have the resources to keep innovating. That is, as long as they're the rabbit and everyone else is the pack of greyhounds chasing the rabbit, no one can eclipse them, even if they can out-feature or outperform them at this task or that one.

Second, within their overall product lines, their technology and design chops will remain important, but their execution of pure business strategy (in all its many gritty aspects), partnerships and marketing will be just as if not more important in maturing market segments such as PC's and notebooks as well as those Apple's created with the Touch, iPhone and iPad. There's a lot of talented people with lots of resources working at companies not called Apple Inc. on the planet.

Oh, and third, they absolutely have to bring out that MMRM (the mythical mid-range Mac) any year now. Game, set and match, then. ;-D

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #181 of 198
Quote:

Thanks. That's a good read. I more or less came to the same conclusion: deep down inside, HP is a hardware company, and historically, they are nowhere near as "vertical" as Apple. Long term, they may divest webOS or let it die like so many other technologies.

As for the new tablet and phones, releasing a bunch of spec sheets and photos of exterior cases isn't anything special. I'm not lusting after Mhz or Ghz anymore, but in overall user experience.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #182 of 198
Quote:

I can feel it in my gut!

I bet you can, too!

Indeed we are. I feel it too, brother.
post #183 of 198
Best iPad competitor yet, I actually want to buy one. Hopefully, it will go on sale in Japan.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #184 of 198
I have been insulted on this site and the moderators don't give a stuff.
These people who insult should be banned, instead I am being ignored or belittled.
If these moderators cannot do their job properly, I think they should step down.
Come one ban me, this will be just like censorship, because you don't like criticism right.
post #185 of 198
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. That's a good read. I more or less came to the same conclusion: deep down inside, HP is a hardware company, and historically, they are nowhere near as "vertical" as Apple. Long term, they may divest webOS or let it die like so many other technologies.

As for the new tablet and phones, releasing a bunch of spec sheets and photos of exterior cases isn't anything special. I'm not lusting after Mhz or Ghz anymore, but in overall user experience.

OK, Let's play "Let's Pretend!"

Say that HP is on the wrong path with WebOS -- it is a dead end!

Say that HP realizes that it eventually will go the Android route!

Say that HP is smart and has been preserving their options -- and has a secret project going with the latest available Android release running on the TouchPad now -- and may have even cut a deal for prerelease versions of Honeycomb.

Say that all TouchPad apps have a corresponding Android implementation.

How does that change anything?

For an Android TouchPad, the questions remain:
-- when will it ship?
-- how much will it cost?
-- what is the battery life?

To that we need to add:
-- how does it compare to/differentiate from other announced Android Tablets, like the Xoom?
-- how does it integrate with enterprise IT requirements?

It may well be that the TouchPad eventually does replace WebOS -- but I see no advantage to anyone to change now.

I believe that HP might have better chances by licensing WebOS to, say, Nokia... but I don't think that will happen.

Here's what HP needs to do IMO:

0) Publicly announce all the specs, including Price, Availability, Battery by March 15, 2011

1) Bet the Farm on WebOS and the TouchPad for the rest of 2011.

2) Focus on the enterprise with seed units / developer assistance

3) Have a shipping product no later than May 1, 2011.

4) Price the WiFi TouchPad at $150 less than today's corresponding iPad models.

5) Hire developers to write/port specific key productivity apps compatible with MS Office

6) contract 3rd party developers to port major apps from iOS and Android

The objective is to be in the marketplace, ASAP!

FTW... let WebOS phones come out when ready!

If HP can't do that, why should anybody care about the TouchPad?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #186 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The phones look like a complete fail to me but the tablet looks interesting and (finally!) some real competition for Apple.

Why they would release only phones with little plastic keyboards and no touch-keyboard phones is just mystifying, as is the decision that we were all lacking a *smaller* phone than the Pre. Those things just make me go WTF?! but the tablet looks kind of nice.

One things seriously missing from the iPad is any kind of phone/tablet integration (or a decent email app but that's another story), and I've often wished for it when I'm travelling with both. Why should I have to either use iPads crappy email program or pull my phone out of my pocket every time it gets mail? I'm usually typing on the iPad when it happens and they are both within bluetooth range of each other (heck they are even in RFID range of each other), and are often sitting on the same network.

Exactly on all accounts.
The Pre phones look exactly like the Pre 2 that failed miserably...cheap and hard to use.
The touchpad is a complete copy of iPad 1 with a couple of geeky features sans Apps.
We have yet to see the real battery life etc. WebOs does look a lot more polished than honeycomb though.
post #187 of 198
HP has a tough path ahead of it, whatever the heck happens. They'll have to lean on their enterprise, laptop and netbook income for another few years. Still unbelievable how Apple caught everyone by surprise with the iPad, even with all the rumours going around for years and years.

Personally, I predict HP ditching WebOS by 2012 for Android.

Quote:

OK, Let's play "Let's Pretend!"

Say that HP is on the wrong path with WebOS -- it is a dead end!

Say that HP realizes that it eventually will go the Android route!

Say that HP is smart and has been preserving their options -- and has a secret project going with the latest available Android release running on the TouchPad now -- and may have even cut a deal for prerelease versions of Honeycomb.

Say that all TouchPad apps have a corresponding Android implementation.

How does that change anything?

For an Android TouchPad, the questions remain:
-- when will it ship?
-- how much will it cost?
-- what is the battery life?

To that we need to add:
-- how does it compare to/differentiate from other announced Android Tablets, like the Xoom?
-- how does it integrate with enterprise IT requirements?

It may well be that the TouchPad eventually does replace WebOS -- but I see no advantage to anyone to change now.

I believe that HP might have better chances by licensing WebOS to, say, Nokia... but I don't think that will happen.

Here's what HP needs to do IMO:

0) Publicly announce all the specs, including Price, Availability, Battery by March 15, 2011

1) Bet the Farm on WebOS and the TouchPad for the rest of 2011.

2) Focus on the enterprise with seed units / developer assistance

3) Have a shipping product no later than May 1, 2011.

4) Price the WiFi TouchPad at $150 less than today's corresponding iPad models.

5) Hire developers to write/port specific key productivity apps compatible with MS Office

6) contract 3rd party developers to port major apps from iOS and Android

The objective is to be in the marketplace, ASAP!

FTW... let WebOS phones come out when ready!

If HP can't do that, why should anybody care about the TouchPad?
post #188 of 198
Touch pad is really good actually. Good on hp for not going the android route. Sure pre3 is still a Pre, but it's early and I am sure they will improve a lot if initial sales don't disappoint.

For phones they need to give an option of having an on screen keyboard. Its harder for me to type on a physical one at this point. (I doubt I would buy it ever, but for other people)

For tablets they really nailed it. Os is very solid, card view as the desktop is a good idea. They have solid partnerships with amazon for content. If they can get good apps on the platform as well that would be a real contender.

However the momentum is not on their side. Android and iOS are already in the hands of consumers and we all know how hard it is to switch platforms (in terms of software, setup etc). I wish palm the best, and I think hp made a good bet here.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #189 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I wasn't referring to Palm, the company. I was referring to Rubenstein's handling of the Pre.

I was a Palm developer for several years in the late 90's early 2000's. That company was run buy a bunch of monkeys. Palm had a huge (and loyal) developer base and they basically abandoned them and took the money and ran.

They burned a lot of developers and we're still bitter to this day. When the Pre was introduced, certain folks in management asked me to return to develop. I told those folks (friends for years) that I will never develop for them again, because even though the players have changed (Rubenstein), the corporate culture monkeys did not. After the Pre crashed-and-burned, again due to monkey-acts, those folks that tried to get me to come back to the platform had quit their jobs at Palm and told me afterwards that management hasn't changed at all and it was terrible working at Palm. Zero employee-morale.

The Pre actually had a shot. It was a long-shot, but they royally screwed it up and Rubenstein showed zero talent for taking the initiative. This is what I was referring to.

Palm was flatlining long before Rubenstein was around and thanks to him, he essentially was the final nail in Palm's coffin.

I obviously fail to understand what HP sees in Rubenstein's ability. I guess he must have sweet-talked them by playing his "I used to work at Apple" card.

I would actually like to see WebOS succeed. I think it's a better, more polished system than Android will ever be. But it still needs some serious attention if it expects to go up against iOS.

Well, I still think it's unfair to judge Rubenstein's abilities based on his time at Palm before the HP buyout. For one thing, the "monkeys" were still in charge for most of that time and there was little or no money or time available to actually develop the Pre and webOS; and a good part of why it failed to attract developers was exactly what you describe above. But, he did do some good work at Apple, and webOS is probably the 2nd best mobile OS out there. Maybe even if he isn't CEO material, he might do good stuff again at HP in a lesser role and with adequate resources.

EDIT: webOS may still have trouble attracting developers though, because there is justifiably a lot of bad feeling with former Palm developers.
post #190 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

However, it's not going to be out until the summer and important details such as pricing and battery life are unknown. And by that time, the iPad2 will of course be out. Apple had better make the iPad2 killer! Not just a minor upgrade to the iPad1, but significantly better. Then, that will be all she wrote, game over.

It's really funny to me see people here constantly make references to the iPad 2. To use 2 terms that are often used on this forum for non-Apple products:

1) The iPad 2 is vaporware. Besides rumors, there is no evidence an iPad 2 exists or is even in development. Apple hasn't announced an iPad 2 and there aren't even any upcoming Apple events announced that could lend evidence to the announcement of the iPad 2. Therefore, there clearly is no ship date for the iPad 2, not even a vague "Summer 2011" date.

2) Talking about the iPad 2 in reference to Android tablets with 3.0 or the Touchpad is just FUD. At least many of these products have announced hardware specs and at least rough time frames for release dates. The iPad 2 doesn't exist in any meaningful way. All the specs being batted around for it are just rumor and speculation.
post #191 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

In their defence, I do know handful of business users who still feel they could not do phone without physical keyboard. It always boils down to blind typing while walking/driving/whatever.

Some of them I know have tried various Androids and iPhone, and some of them actually have second phone (iPhone or Android) and use them as personal devices, for media, music, games on the go... but still stick to BBs and Nokias for business.

I'd like to see keyboardless webOS phone, but I believe there's still market for keyboards. Does new Pre have virtual keyboard as well? Having full size screen (vs. BBs half size screens) and both physical and virtual keyboard could be handy for some users.

But that's exactly what I was saying (perhaps I didn't say it too well!)..... HP should have produced a touch+pullout keyboard version, and be design-consistent with their phones.
post #192 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

It's really funny to me see people here constantly make references to the iPad 2. To use 2 terms that are often used on this forum for non-Apple products:

1) The iPad 2 is vaporware. Besides rumors, there is no evidence an iPad 2 exists or is even in development. Apple hasn't announced an iPad 2 and there aren't even any upcoming Apple events announced that could lend evidence to the announcement of the iPad 2. Therefore, there clearly is no ship date for the iPad 2, not even a vague "Summer 2011" date.

2) Talking about the iPad 2 in reference to Android tablets with 3.0 or the Touchpad is just FUD. At least many of these products have announced hardware specs and at least rough time frames for release dates. The iPad 2 doesn't exist in any meaningful way. All the specs being batted around for it are just rumor and speculation.

Yeah, all those competitor products exist, and are available for sale.
post #193 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post

True Multitasking: Oh wait.....
Proper Notification: yeah.....
Phone - Tablet Integration : You can do that???!
Device web page transfer: huh???
Time Magazine vs The Daily : You decide...LOL
PC - Tablet Integration : Wha??!

how is that for ya...

As a tech nerd response, sure. But for the general public and me as an investor:

True Multitasking: Zzzzz
Proper Notification: Zzzzz
Phone - Tablet Integration: Never once have i needed this
Device web page transfer: Zzzzzzz
Time Magazine vs The Daily: Sure.
PC - Tablet Integration : probably coming soon.
post #194 of 198
One thing I hate is the way my iPhone and iPad will tell me they've both received the same email one after the other. HP got that aspect right. But synergy is important in that HP haven't come out with a nice enough phone to pair with the tablet. Plus their ecosystem has a way to go before it can match Apple's. I'd like to see more content become available on their device because that will seal the deal.
post #195 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I have been insulted on this site and the moderators don't give a stuff.

Welcome to the Internet. \

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #196 of 198
Quote:

When we were an Apple reseller in 1978-1989' Apple offered SPIFs -- as did most of the hardware and software mfgrs.

Back then is one thing, it's a whole different ball game in the Jobs II era...
post #197 of 198
Quote:

I don't know. Over 300 million computers sold last year.

How many billions of people are there on this planet? 300 million is a drop in the bucket for the potential market.
post #198 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

The iPad 2 is vaporware. Besides rumors, there is no evidence an iPad 2 exists or is even in development.

What Apple has and many of it's so called "competitors" don't is a little thing called a track record.

We can speculate as to the timing, but there will be an iPad 2 as surely as the sun will come up tomorrow
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP to take on with Apple with webOS-based TouchPad, Pre 3