or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › College Football 2002
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

College Football 2002 - Page 12

post #441 of 493
Thread Starter 
[quote]"great defenses win championships" <hr></blockquote>

But very good defenses teamed with great offenses win championships more.

I say Miami wins easily.

I also like OU in the Rose, which I'll watch, although it won't seem the same,
USC in the Orange (I agree that Wazzou may have been a better matchup for Iowa )
and FSU in the Sugar.

But what about the REAL big game?

Cyclones bust Broncos in Crucial.com Blue Field Humanitarian Bowl!!!

Coach McCarney granted free memory upgrades for life!

Jeff

[ 12-08-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #442 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:
<strong>

But very good defenses teamed with great offenses win championships more.

I say Miami wins easily.</strong><hr></blockquote>

miami has shown very little defense what so ever. i wouldn't exactly call it very good. great offense, no doubt about it though. osu will slow them down. canes may win, but i doubt it will be by much either way.

osu by a touchdown.
post #443 of 493
Miami's defense stinks, tech showed that. But Miami's offense goes above and beyond making up for the weakness in their defense.
GO HOKIES!!
Reply
GO HOKIES!!
Reply
post #444 of 493
I agree. Even though I think Miami is beatable, OSU is not going to do it. I think a team with a great defense and an above average offense could take Miami down. However, Ohio State's offense is severely average. "Good Enough" against Illinois and Michigan is not going to be "Good Enough" against Miami.

As far as Iowa/USC, I'll admit I'm a little nervous after seeing USC dismantle Notre Dame. Of course, I think most will admit that Notre Dame was overrated all season. USC will not be able to run against Iowa. We'll see how good Carson Palmer is when throwing is the only option (this is what makes me nervous). I'm not too worried about USC's defense shutting us down. They're definitely tough, but if they expect another Notre Dame they're in for a rude awakening. I'll predict that Iowa's special teams will be the x-factor and pick the Hawks by 10.

And yes, I think Iowa along with USC and Georgia could give Miami a run for their money. Sorry, OSU.
post #445 of 493
Miami is vulnerable to a ground attack and Ohio State has some guy named Clarinet or Garnett or something who I hear can run the football pretty good-like.

Great defenses win championships, but Miami is so talented it makes baby Jesus cry. This will be a good game methinks.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #446 of 493
Georgia will win. USC will win. Oklahoma will win. Miami will win. Rinse and repeat again next year.
post #447 of 493
I concur.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #448 of 493
just for the sake of opposition I say Big 10 sweep except for Wisconsin which will get killed by Colorado.
post #449 of 493
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:
<strong>just for the sake of opposition I say Big 10 sweep except for Wisconsin which will get killed by Colorado.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Colorado is pretty amazing-they're the Denver Broncos of college football: plug in anyone listed in the program as a running back and watch him run for 100+.
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #450 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:
<strong>

miami has shown very little defense what so ever. i wouldn't exactly call it very good. great offense, no doubt about it though. osu will slow them down. canes may win, but i doubt it will be by much either way.

osu by a touchdown.</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, don't know anything about Miami, lol.

You guys can analize all you like, but the simple fact is most of you are wrong. Miami's defense is excellent, check the stats. What you are blinded to is the fact that they sometimes give up rushing yards. While that is the case, it is the very design of the defense that causes that. That is the intention to an extent. Their defense only RUSHES 4 with 3 LBs. Safties are always deep and corners play man. SO, it's up to 7 guys to always stop the run, Miami DOESN'T BRING UP SAFTIES to stop the run. So this will allow some rushing yards. HOWEVER, their secondary is in the top few in the country, and very solid concidering their age. Yes, VT did score some points, and surprised me, however, when the score is 49-21, EVERYONE KNOWS complacentcy will set in.

So like Miami or not, most of you are talking out of your ass about Miami. Sorry, but Miami will win by more then a touch down no matter who they wouldv'e faced.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #451 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, don't know anything about Miami, lol.

You guys can analize all you like, but the simple fact is most of you are wrong. Miami's defense is excellent, check the stats. What you are blinded to is the fact that they sometimes give up rushing yards. While that is the case, it is the very design of the defense that causes that. That is the intention to an extent. Their defense only RUSHES 4 with 3 LBs. Safties are always deep and corners play man. SO, it's up to 7 guys to always stop the run, Miami DOESN'T BRING UP SAFTIES to stop the run. So this will allow some rushing yards. HOWEVER, their secondary is in the top few in the country, and very solid concidering their age. Yes, VT did score some points, and surprised me, however, when the score is 49-21, EVERYONE KNOWS complacentcy will set in.

So like Miami or not, most of you are talking out of your ass about Miami. Sorry, but Miami will win by more then a touch down no matter who they wouldv'e faced.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the only one talking out their ass is you. but then again, i wouldn't expect anything less from a canes fan.

post #452 of 493
No one's defensive scheme is designed to give up 45 points.

There's really no excuse for giving up that many points.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #453 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:
<strong>

Colorado is pretty amazing-they're the Denver Broncos of college football: plug in anyone listed in the program as a running back and watch him run for 100+.</strong><hr></blockquote>

to true. you chalk that up to good recruiting, a very solid coaching staff, and some big ol boys up front. not to mention that barnet has a very nasty habit (for opponents) of being able to throw so many different offensive formations at an opposing team. they might run the same play from 4 or 5 formations. can be very confusing for defenses to figure out what's going on.
post #454 of 493
Now if Colorado could only get a decent passing game and a good defense.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #455 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by groverat:
<strong>Now if Colorado could only get a decent passing game and a good defense.</strong><hr></blockquote>

now your just talking crazy. we don't need another team like that in the big XII, thank you very much. ou, k-state, and texas are fine for my taste. the other teams with the exception of ku and baylor, have enough spice to keep it interesting.

post #456 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:
<strong>

the only one talking out their ass is you. but then again, i wouldn't expect anything less from a canes fan.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe I'd have a grin in reply to your statement if not for the 37 game unbeaten streak, back to back undefeated seasons with a chance to repeat as champions, 2 heisman candidates, the #1 team is first round draft picks, etc, etc. So if my ass is talking, then you need to listen up because you ain't hearing sh!t

But, hey, I wouldn't expect anything less from a non-canes fan because now that we are back, all other teams are little high school cheerleaders
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #457 of 493
Their defense isn't really bad or anything. It isn't dominating either but I think it is good enough to beat just about anyone with their running game. Bloom looks fast and quick, he ought to be a bigger threat. Hodge is horrible though. And Ochs wasn't htat great and neither was Pesavento, although Pesavento was noticeably better than Hodge. They don't even need a really good QB,if they had someone who could scramble a bit and throw efficiently short to intermediate they would be a very good team. Like Krenzel or Heupel or someone like that would make them really tough.

Calhoun looks interesting and he is faster to the corner than Purify or Brown. But he missed a lot more cutbacks and some of the gaps than they do and he doesn't run with the power that Brown in particular has. I would have liked to have seen what they could do with Brown against Oklahoma but oh well. They will beat Wisconsin though. Wisconson sucks. Should be a quick game, both teams running hte ball a ton between the tackles.
post #458 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by groverat:
<strong>No one's defensive scheme is designed to give up 45 points.

There's really no excuse for giving up that many points.</strong><hr></blockquote>

True. But you make it sound like no one has ever given uo points before. As for the points against Miami's defense, you'd be very hard pressed to find anything over 30 in the last 2 decades not counting the probation years. The game was over and so was the need to close out VT.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #459 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>blah blah blah blah...</strong><hr></blockquote>

there is no doubt in my mind that last years huricanes team was perhaps one of the most tallented college football team ever, truely dominating in every aspect of the game. but let's face it, this years team isn't even close to last, or at least haven't proven that they are all season long with any level of consistentcy. a good team? you bet. maybe even the best team this year. i just don't buy the "we really aren't trying" bs anymore to excuse halfassed wins over mediocre teams.
post #460 of 493
[quote]As for the points against Miami's defense, you'd be very hard pressed to find anything over 30 in the last 2 decades not counting the probation years. <hr></blockquote>

Sorry but you can't have it both ways and not count the probation years.

We were always really good on defense... {because we had more talent than anyone else since we were cheating and paying off recruits and players to get them to come to Miami}...but you should ignore those probation years {when we suffered the penalties that resulted from getting caught for a few of our many many sins.} You take the good with the bad. Miami got hundreds of players because they were throwing money around like confetti throughtout the 80s. Even during the Schnellenberger years they were cheating, well before Jimmy and Dennis took it to another level. All of that cheating built that program and garnered several national championships. The bad came with a lot of good and benefits that never would have happened otherwise had Miami not sacrificed its integrity by cheating at all costs to win. When Miami stops counting the national championships other than 2001 then you can reasonably expect other people to ignore the probation years.
post #461 of 493
Wow, was I ever wrong. In a shocker, Wisconsin pulled an upset over Colorado to give the Big Televen its first big bowl win this week. :eek: Who would have thought?
post #462 of 493
Minnesota is now up on Arkansas 29-7 with 8:00 left in the 4th. Looks like the Big 10 is showing up this bowl season.

Go Hawks
post #463 of 493
OK kid , now for some real analysis. Ohio State has given up fewer points in 13 games than Miami has in 12. Miami's defense is not in the same league as Ohio States. Ohio States two safeties Doss and Nickey are two of the biggest hitters in collegege ball and Matt "the kaiser" Wilhelm in the middle is also an all-american along with Doss. Ohio State has defeated 3 teams ranked in the top 15 by a higher points per game winning margin than the points per game Miami defeated the number 14 and 15 teams by. Miami's offensive superiority was built entirely at the expense of unranked teams. One of the ranked teams Miami beat, West Virginia was beaten by Wisconsin, who went 2 and 6 in the big 10, and also lost two Virginia, so final rankings, Miami has beaten 1 top 15 team. Ohio State is currently the top ranked defense in the country, after the former leader Kansas State gave up 27 points against Arizona. Miami is only #1 in the polls. Statisicly they aren't number one in any thing, except for maybe the most number of mouthy fans. Craig Krenzel has a higher completion percentage than Ken Dorsey and his yards per completion is almost identical. If it come down to a pasing game, Ohio State will win. There is absolutely nothing except for the loud trumpets of the national media that says Miami is going to win this game. Ohio State still has to win on the field, but I'm not expecting it to be close. Ohio State 25, Miami 13, you heard it here first.
post #464 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by norfa:
<strong>OK kid , now for some real analysis. Ohio State has given up fewer points in 13 games than Miami has in 12. Miami's defense is not in the same league as Ohio States. Ohio States two safeties Doss and Nickey are two of the biggest hitters in collegege ball and Matt "the kaiser" Wilhelm in the middle is also an all-american along with Doss. Ohio State has defeated 3 teams ranked in the top 15 by a higher points per game winning margin than the points per game Miami defeated the number 14 and 15 teams by. Miami's offensive superiority was built entirely at the expense of unranked teams. One of the ranked teams Miami beat, West Virginia was beaten by Wisconsin, who went 2 and 6 in the big 10, and also lost two Virginia, so final rankings, Miami has beaten 1 top 15 team. Ohio State is currently the top ranked defense in the country, after the former leader Kansas State gave up 27 points against Arizona. Miami is only #1 in the polls. Statisicly they aren't number one in any thing, except for maybe the most number of mouthy fans. Craig Krenzel has a higher completion percentage than Ken Dorsey and his yards per completion is almost identical. If it come down to a pasing game, Ohio State will win. There is absolutely nothing except for the loud trumpets of the national media that says Miami is going to win this game. Ohio State still has to win on the field, but I'm not expecting it to be close. Ohio State 25, Miami 13, you heard it here first.</strong><hr></blockquote>

hahaha, oh man, I can't wait till the game's over

What a lot of you fail to realize is that in at least 7 of thier games, the first teamers didn't play past the second half because the game was over. So Dorsey didn't play much in the second half (thus his numbers not inflated) and 2nd and 3rd team defensive players palyed. Also, as i stated earlier, Miami coaches went on record saying their style of defense can give up some yards on the ground, but won't give up many big plays or points. Sure a few backs had some yards, but very few of those yards resulted in scores. And, none of those backs were on the winning side. Check the stats, the teams that had any kind of success running the ball virtually had no yards in the air. That' s Miami's defense and it works.

Colanderofdeath-
Well, you can include the probation years if you'd like, but when a school only has 30 something scholarships, it's not fair to count those years. As for the cheating, I'm not sure I agree. What happened was Luther Campell (local rapper/producer) would award maimi players $100 per big play. What's the big deal? These schools make millions of dollars a year of these kids who can ruin the rest of their lives with injury and aren't allowed to have a job or any kind of income. Those of you without family money know how tight college is with a job, imagine no job. So you have your opinion and I have mine, bottom line is that's all past tense now and Miami is #1 and the dynasty is back.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #465 of 493
kid your forgetting Florida State dude, lost to Miami by 1 point, 296 yards on the ground, scored 27 points, lost on a very makeable missed field goal. Miami only looks good because they play nobody. The best team Miami played this year lost 4 games. Dorsey's completion percentage and yards per completion are not affected by how much he played. That's why I used those stats. I don't expect you to know much, cause your a kid, but ya didn't have to live up to my expectations.
post #466 of 493
[quote]Originally posted by norfa:
<strong>kid your forgetting Florida State dude, lost to Miami by 1 point, 296 yards on the ground, scored 27 points, lost on a very makeable missed field goal. Miami only looks good because they play nobody. The best team Miami played this year lost 4 games. Dorsey's completion percentage and yards per completion are not affected by how much he played. That's why I used those stats. I don't expect you to know much, cause your a kid, but ya didn't have to live up to my expectations.</strong><hr></blockquote>

though i agree that miami's schedule turned out pretty weak, i don't think it's really their fault . when looking on paper at the begining of the season, it looked to be a fairly brutal.
post #467 of 493
man, with only a couple of days left, i'm already missing college football. i caught myself looking over all the recruiting mumbo jumbo while at work today. sigh.
post #468 of 493
Thread Starter 
I trust everyone's pumped for the BFB!

I can't believe Iowa State's coming in an 11 point dog!

The Big 10 has impressed the heck out of me-I don't see it lasting into tomorrow and the rest of the week, though I've been wrong so far.

OH CRAP, they just said ISU's starting safties are academically ineligible! That's not good against this offense!
:confused:

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #469 of 493
<a href="http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/bowlpicks.html" target="_blank">ESPN Analysts' Picks</a>

Look how biased Trev Alberts is: He picked a unanimous defeat of the Big Ten in their Bowl Games. I also remember him talking about how Larry Johnson didn't deserve the Heisman and other awards. He's a pompous asshole too when he appears on other ESPN shows.
post #470 of 493
Thread Starter 
He gets on my nerves, too. I like Kirk Herbstreit. He's laid back and knows what he's talking about-a good contrast with Lee Corso.

Damn, Boise was pretty good, I guess Vegas knew what they were doing.

Hey, Air Force is leading VT! I could see this going like the USAF/ND game, though.

I'm really looking forward to the games the rest of the week!

Jeff

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #471 of 493
Thread Starter 
Dang, Air Force couldn't quite pull it out.

Man, there's nothing like waking up to Florida/Michigan (for the first time ever! <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> )

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #472 of 493
He's already 0-4 since the Big Ten has won all four bowl games played so far, but here's more great stuff from Trev Alberts:

[quote] It is too late for Larry Johnson to win the Heisman, but I cannot wait to see him take on speedy linebackers like Auburn's Karlos Dansby and Dontarrious Thomas. These guys fill the holes and fly from sideline to sideline on every play and this defense will attack. This is not Michigan State or Northwestern.

That, to me, is the most intriguing thing about this game. <hr></blockquote>

Oh god! It's sadistic!

But then here's the unattributed take by ESPN itself or so it seems, because this somewhat contradicts what Trev Alberts just said. Either that or bad ass formatting:
[quote]Penn State's Larry Johnson. If it's so easy to run for 2,000 yards, how come only nine other guys in I-A have done it?<hr></blockquote>

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
post #473 of 493
LJ's not getting anything. Only 5 carries. 1 of which was a bad pitch for like -7 yards.

Mills is stepping up.. nice 37 yard run lol!
post #474 of 493
This sucks.
post #475 of 493
Thread Starter 
So far the Big 10 has won the games I expected them to lose and lost the one (PSU-Auburn) I figured they'd win.
:confused:

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #476 of 493
Hey I can't be as bad as Trev. 4-1 is still a pretty good show. 2 more games to go.
post #477 of 493
Thread Starter 
USC 38 Iowa 17. As much as I don't like Iowa, I was looking forward to a close game.

I wonder if the 45 day layoff hurt-Banks just didn't have it.

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
Reply
post #478 of 493
WOOOOOOO!!!!!!! BIG 10 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #479 of 493
OHIO STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #480 of 493
Clearly the Hurricanes were a better team . . . with the help of some bad calls and turnovers they lost.


and its a very sad thing to watch a talented young man at the beginning of his career probably have to turn to something else to make a living . . . painful to watch McGahee(sp?) break his knee (or leg) . . very sad . ..

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › College Football 2002