or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple distracts from Mobile World Congress as 'iPhone nano' rumors continue

Apple distracts from Mobile World Congress as 'iPhone nano' rumors continue - Page 2

post #41 of 58
deleted
post #42 of 58
It's just fun and easy to visualize this. All the people crying apple won't do this because fragmentation, ease of use, ect, honestly doesn't hold water IMO because apple can shrink down the iPhone 4 considerably while still keeping that 3.5in display!

Now, which one of these 2 phones do you want to cram in your pocket numerous times a day? The question will be: What will they skimp out on? Maybe it's possible for them just to keep the "Nano" sized iPhones 1 generation behind in hardware internals, and possibly keep the storage at 8GB, and still have that $200 price tag? Can they include a retina display?

I'm far more excited about the prospect of a larger screen'd iPhone 5. Four inches at least, please! Pretty sure that's not what she said.
post #43 of 58
how about this? too small?

post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmoy View Post

how about this? too small?

Yes. Too small. I don't think apple will shrink the actual screen size down. And if they do it will be very very little. The reason they won't is because it will further fragment iOS. You already have iPhone, iPad, and (we hope) soon Apple TV. To get the apps usable for a smaller screen they will need to be redesigned in a lot of cases. That, or it becomes frustratingly difficult to use. Look, your even mocking it up with a redesigned springboard.
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm not buying into the nano rumors, but, in the rendering referred to the home button functions would be replaced by one of the other hardware buttons (e.g., lock) and/or gestures.

The only problem I see with gestures is that you can't use them everywhere. For example, if you're playing a game and just happen to make the gesture to go to the Home screen, it'll exit out of the game you were playing.

Too many chances for an accidental activation of a system command and that'll definitely anger many users.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I think Apple's strategy of using last year's model as a low-end or entry level phone isn't a bad one. My co-worker bought a 3GS when the 4 came out because it was so much cheaper and readily available.

This man speaks the truth
post #47 of 58
You lost me at "The U.K.'s Daily Mail ".

For those that don't know, the wretched Daily Heil is a far right gutter press tabloid rag. It's been caught making up stories more times than anyone can remember, and when it's not making stuff up about celebrities, it's demanding video games and movies be banned, and blaming immigrants for every crime imaginable.

It's founder was a big supporter of the nazi party, and little has changed with the paper since.
post #48 of 58
They already have a $200 and $99 iPhone, it's the previous gen models. no need for a nano phone however, when the better iPhone 5 is released you still will NOT see the iPhone 4 at a $200 or $99 price point to take the place of the 3GS but probably what will happen is they will take all the best features out of the iPhone 4 such as the great 5MP camera and retina display to take the place of the 3GS so they CAN sell it at a cheaper price point when the time comes. Same screen size and everything just less value.

You heard it here first!
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

They already have a $200 and $99 iPhone, it's the previous gen models. no need for a nano phone however, when the better iPhone 5 is released you still will NOT see the iPhone 4 at a $200 or $99 price point to take the place of the 3GS but probably what will happen is they will take all the best features out of the iPhone 4 such as the great 5MP camera and retina display to take the place of the 3GS so they CAN sell it at a cheaper price point when the time comes. Same screen size and everything just less value.

You heard it here first!

Those prices are heavily subsidized by the carrier. This rumor says the $200 is an unsubsidized prices.

The more I think about it, the more I think this rumor is actually the replacement for the iPod classic. Smaller, low res screen, strip out all the app and internet stuff, cram it full of flash storage, and finally retire the last of the hard drive based iPods.
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

It's not just luxury. After using the Retina display for browsing on iPod Touch 4 it is impossible to get back to the previous version.
Apple will never eliminate retina displays and gyroscope for the sake of defragmentation. Instead they will likely phase out the smaller resolution devices this June.

I hava actually a first generation iPod Touch and I love it. However I do not miss the retina display. But do not misunderstand!!! I really love the display on the iPhone4. But if the idea is there to keep the cost low, I think I could live without the dear retina display. And for gyroscopes.... they are really only helpful for hardcore gamers. Which I don't think is quite the majority nowadays.
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

They already have a $200 and $99 iPhone, it's the previous gen models. no need for a nano phone however

That is not correct. These are prices after subsidies.
And if the nano is ever going to be released, the Retina display will be there.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You lost me at "The U.K.'s Daily Mail ".

For those that don't know, the wretched Daily Heil is a far right gutter press tabloid rag. It's been caught making up stories more times than anyone can remember.

Yes, trash rag. But this story was previously on other papers with relatively good recent track records. From what I can see Apple seems to do most of their controlled leaks through the WSJ.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I would have to agree. I would venture to say that this article was written in response to the overwhelming presence of Android at MWC. From the pictures I've seen from various tech blogs, there's a very healthy turn-out and it seems many of them are excited by the tech being offered, especially the tablets.

Pricing aside, of course.

My partner works a booth there and he says that everyone who stops by asks, "is it like the iPhone, does it do this like the iPhone" etc... So it's not that there are not great products or at least lots of bling, it's that everyone expects every phone vender to match the quality and build of the iPhone. So they use the iPhone as the basis for all their comparisons.

As for me, I like my simple flip phone that has always worked.
post #54 of 58
I wouldn't put too much credence in the Daily Mail, it's far from a quality newspaper (search for Daily Mail headline generator) and most stories are based on substances either curing or causing cancer. It's more likely they've just copied the story from the other news outlets that already mentioned this.
post #55 of 58
worst idea from apple in a long time if true.
post #56 of 58
I actually see this product being closer to what the iPod Nano is now like, but large enough for a multitouch keyboard, and a cellular radio.

It will have the same basic apps as the current Nano, with a phone and sms app..Basic.

This will drive the cost way down, $200 (or FREE with subsidy and contract, requiring $50 a month unlimtited calling/messaging plan) and make monthly ownership a pay as you go $25 limited or $50 a month unlimited deal.

This will work, as it has zero appeal to the iPhone market, and lots of appeal to the dumb phone market.
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

That is not correct. These are prices after subsidies.
And if the nano is ever going to be released, the Retina display will be there.

There is an iPod Nano, with "multitouch", and it's no where near a retina display.
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

3G doesn't have a GPS chip, but I believe the 3GS does.

"3G DOES have a GPS chip, AND the 3GS does too. The 2G (original iphone) does not."

There you go, fixed that for you.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple distracts from Mobile World Congress as 'iPhone nano' rumors continue
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple distracts from Mobile World Congress as 'iPhone nano' rumors continue