or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard

Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard - Page 2

post #41 of 93
I saw a report on Fox that the 12th iPhone prototype has a slide-out muslim from kenya. And it's all an Egyptian/AOL conspiracy to restore the caliphate. Or something like that, I was just flipping channels waiting for American Idol to come back on.
post #42 of 93
How many times does this horse hockey have to be spouted before everyone who's doing it is permanently discredited?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

10th prototype that only interfaces with the controller for Steel Batallion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
post #44 of 93
Things have changed this last year with the phenomenal growth of Android which Apple cannot ignore.

They can't sit back content to be holding THE best top end phone, at best profit. Their single model (+last years discounted) will not cut it in the face of such diverse competition.

Because, however good Apple make the iPhone in itself, it will not be 'the best' if market-share dwindles to such an extent that developers switch from iOS and prioritise Android. A computer is only as good as the Applications running on it.

Apple has no choice but to go after marketshare, and this means more models. They have begun to do this.

(1) 2nd model of iPhone just introduced. CMDA to overcome the first hurdle, 'the carrier hurdle', and open all markets to the iPhone. (This despite the compromise on one of Apple's most touted features: simultaneous voice and data use).

(2) A lower cost, lower spec, slightly smaller version. The rumoured iPhone nano to overcome 'the cost hurdle'. imo Apple will produce one this year to compete at lower price points.

(3) After these two, the next most obvious hurdle to people buying an iPhone is form factor. I don't doubt that Apple thinks an on-screen keyboard is best, and I agree with them. But people are different, and some prefer a tactile, physical keyboard. If it will remove that hurdle then give it to them - produce a slide out keyboard version. Obviously 'as well as' not 'instead of' the current format.

I don't think a Nano or a Keyboard model is half as unlikely as some are making out.
post #45 of 93
The iPHONE SHUFFLE will randomly send text messages to your contacts.

Wait, that's Android.
post #46 of 93
A 12th prototype automatically dials Ballmer every day and laughs at him...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #47 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismastersvoice View Post

I just read on macrumors theres an ninth prototype that boots off cassette.

Sorry, That's just wrong - It will _play_ cassettes.
post #48 of 93
the 14th prototype is a Polly Pocket play set.
post #49 of 93
15th prototype will only play ogg/vorbis and WebM/vp8 encoded media
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #50 of 93
The keyboard slide out is obviously either mis-information or an old pre-original-iPhone rumor. The next iPhone "5" will definitely carry the same design as the iPhone 4. With production of the CDMA iPhone 4 being fairly recent, I doubt Apple would want to switch gear for a completely new design, again. That's expensive and inefficient, considering even the iPhone 4 is still selling out in some countries.

The wild card is the so-called iPhone mini/nano. I think it's more fun speculating about this as it's an unknown.
post #51 of 93
16th prototype quintuple-boots Symbian, Windows Phone 7, Android, Blackberry QNX and WebOS (to evaluate which should replace iOS; current hot favourite is Symbian)
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

The iPHONE SHUFFLE will randomly send text messages to your contacts.

Wait, that's Android.

post #53 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

a taiwanese website that has been the source of numerous apple hardware leaks now claims that apple has built three hardware prototypes for its next-generation iphone, including one model with a slide-out physical keyboard.

nooooooooo!
post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrk View Post

A 6th prototype had a rotary dial.

And if a slide-out keyboard is released would Flash be far behind?
post #55 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My understanding is that Apple may actually go through dozens of prototypes and design iterations to come up with the final product. That really shouldn't be a surprise either. The assumption here though is that these are further along than normal lab prototypes, more like production tests units. Or maybe the translation is messing with my mind.

What doesn't mess with my mind is this idea of an iPhone with a keyboard. I think it is a very real possibility. Why? It is pretty simple really, such a keyboard provides for a larger screen or view port while entering text. Such a device makes for far easier text entry and more importantly far better editing. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing those little auto correct errors after you send out a message.

More importantly the slide out keyboard doesn't have to be the fixed function device we have seen on other phones. Instead it could be a slide out LCD touch screen of sorts. This would allow Apple to continue to have one device for world wide distribution due to the nature of a soft keyboard. It would be well worth a few bucks extra at the check out counter, especially for people using their iPhones a lot for text entry. In effect you get a much larger screen in the same form factor. The issue then becomes how do you do such a keyboard without making the iPhone FAT.

This. Low res LCD screen for slide out keyboard or game pad or whatever they can develop.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Given how fast one can type on an iPhone keyboard it seems extremely unlikely that Apple would spend any energy on such a project.

Quote:

You seem to want to equate an outdated piece of technology with something that is still very much in common use. Worst you seem to think that any design Apple comes up with will be modeled on current approaches. Frankly I'd rather expect that Apple would continue to innovate here. It doesn't take a lot of effort to imagine Apple putting a spin on a slide out keyboard that would be a big win for heavy iPhone users. Done right it keeps iPhone compact while expanding usable screen real-estate. That is no joking matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Slide out keyboard? What crap is that, what, did Apple start walking backwards or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

however good Apple make the iPhone in itself, it will not be 'the best' if market-share dwindles to such an extent that developers switch from iOS and prioritise Android. A computer is only as good as the Applications running on it.

Apple has no choice but to go after marketshare, and this means more models. They have begun to do this.

(1) 2nd model of iPhone just introduced. CMDA to overcome the first hurdle, 'the carrier hurdle', and open all markets to the iPhone. (This despite the compromise on one of Apple's most touted features: simultaneous voice and data use).

(2) A lower cost, lower spec, slightly smaller version. The rumoured iPhone nano to overcome 'the cost hurdle'. imo Apple will produce one this year to compete at lower price points.

(3) After these two, the next most obvious hurdle to people buying an iPhone is form factor. I don't doubt that Apple thinks an on-screen keyboard is best, and I agree with them. But people are different, and some prefer a tactile, physical keyboard. If it will remove that hurdle then give it to them - produce a slide out keyboard version. Obviously 'as well as' not 'instead of' the current format.

I don't think a Nano or a Keyboard model is half as unlikely as some are making out.

I imagine 20-30% of potential customers (not all your aunt or grandma, but many business users, writers, etc.) much prefer a physical keyboard. My virtual KB experience is limited, but I know I do.

20-30% of the phone market is, btw, 200-300 MILLION units/year. Why leave all of that just sitting on the table for Android and the also rans?

Apple has aesthetic religion, but they're also business people. It would be cool, tho' if they used their design chops to bring it out in a way that minimally impacts their overall philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

The keyboard slide out is obviously either mis-information or an old pre-original-iPhone rumor. The next iPhone "5" will definitely carry the same design as the iPhone 4. With production of the CDMA iPhone 4 being fairly recent, I doubt Apple would want to switch gear for a completely new design, again. That's expensive and inefficient, considering even the iPhone 4 is still selling out in some countries.

The wild card is the so-called iPhone mini/nano. I think it's more fun speculating about this as it's an unknown.

You got my KB thots above, but I agree with the rest of what you say. This is going to be a refinement, extension update - especially given the timing of the CMDA release which opens more markets than simply Verizon around the world, and they'll use this to penetrate those.

The next major redesign will be the full-blown 4G/LTE model in 2012. Hopefully before all those pesky planets align and a super-nova wipes us out.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #57 of 93
Quote:

Things have changed this last year with the phenomenal growth of Android which Apple cannot ignore.

They can't sit back content to be holding THE best top end phone, at best profit. Their single model (+last years discounted) will not cut it in the face of such diverse competition.

Because, however good Apple make the iPhone in itself, it will not be 'the best' if market-share dwindles to such an extent that developers switch from iOS and prioritise Android. A computer is only as good as the Applications running on it.

lower cost, lower spec, 1/3 smaller screen phone contribute little to the iOS ecosystem. If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?

Prosperity of the ecosystem depends on developers, and developers go where the money is. The number of phones Apple sells isn't really important, it's how many buyers want to buy content that's really the key.

Unless Apple figured out some really cool ways to make small screen work with the apps, I don't see it happenning.
post #58 of 93
Was alcohol involved during that site's posting?
post #59 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Adobe Flash will make it's debut on the iPhone 5.

Sorry!! Not going zo happen. Neither is a slideout keyboard an option for an iPhone. These addons may occur once Steve Ballmer is CEO of Apple. (I hope I won't be around that day).
post #60 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I imagine 20-30% of potential customers (not all your aunt or grandma, but many business users, writers, etc.) much prefer a physical keyboard. My virtual KB experience is limited, but I know I do.

20-30% of the phone market is, btw, 200-300 MILLION units/year. Why leave all of that for Android and the also rans?

I have a perfectly good reason why. By your calculation, the other 70-80% of the phone market is 700-800 million units/year. Apple will have a LONG, LONG way to go before they capture even half of that market segement.
post #61 of 93
Lets go retro! physical keyboard, telescopic aerial, black and white (greyish green) LCD, 2G comms, and removable battery.

A physical keyboard will NEVER appear on an Apple iPhone or iPad.

Telepathy is more likely!

Phil
post #62 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Was alcohol involved during that site's posting?

Lots and lots of Alcohol plus a good shot of good ole tetra-hydro-cannabinole!
post #63 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm loving the TomTom GPS, but if that was on the iPad-Problem solved! I never use the video cam on my iPhone.

Just wanted to mention that Navigon is a "plus" app and as such runs on both iphone and ipad. That might have been one of the reasons I purchased that instead of Tom Tom and I have to admit that after using it for a couple of weeks that I am really enjoying GPS on my ipad. It works equally well on both devices, but the huge screen really makes it easy. Believe it or not on working on a mount for my ipad in my car. ( I now, sad) If you're curious about Navigon overall, the only thing I have to compare it too is my my garmin Nuvi and I like the iphone/ ipad navigon app better. I did have to purchase a nice head unit to make up for the lack of hands free calling, but I wanted one anyway.

My only complaint is that the volume coming out of the phone directly is too low for the highway unless you're riding in a Merc or something with similar cabin noise characteristics. So make sure you connect it to your stereo.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #64 of 93
I think they will introduce a slide-out keyboard BUT not for the iPhone. I think the rumored higher resolution iPad 3 will actually be a MacBook with a touchscreen, slide-out keyboard, retina display and OS X Lion.
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextstep View Post

I think they will introduce a slide-out keyboard BUT not for the iPhone. I think the rumored higher resolution iPad 3 will actually be a MacBook with a touchscreen, slide-out keyboard, retina display and OS X Lion.

post #66 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Just wanted to mention that Navigon is a "plus" app and as such runs on both iphone and ipad. That might have been one of the reasons I purchased that instead of Tom Tom and I have to admit that after using it for a couple of weeks that I am really enjoying GPS on my ipad. It works equally well on both devices, but the huge screen really makes it easy. Believe it or not on working on a mount for my ipad in my car. ( I now, sad) If you're curious about Navigon overall, the only thing I have to compare it too is my my garmin Nuvi and I like the iphone/ ipad navigon app better. I did have to purchase a nice head unit to make up for the lack of hands free calling, but I wanted one anyway.

My only complaint is that the volume coming out of the phone directly is too low for the highway unless you're riding in a Merc or something with similar cabin noise characteristics. So make sure you connect it to your stereo.

Good to know thanks, Spliff!

Best
post #67 of 93
My bet is that Apple will make an iPhone keyboard accessory and not a built in one.
post #68 of 93
Quote:

What doesn't mess with my mind is this idea of an iPhone with a keyboard. I think it is a very real possibility. Why? It is pretty simple really, such a keyboard provides for a larger screen or view port while entering text. Such a device makes for far easier text entry and more importantly far better editing. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing those little auto correct errors after you send out a message.

More importantly the slide out keyboard doesn't have to be the fixed function device we have seen on other phones. Instead it could be a slide out LCD touch screen of sorts. This would allow Apple to continue to have one device for world wide distribution due to the nature of a soft keyboard. It would be well worth a few bucks extra at the check out counter, especially for people using their iPhones a lot for text entry. In effect you get a much larger screen in the same form factor. The issue then becomes how do you do such a keyboard without making the iPhone FAT.

Although this is not identified in the article but a slide-out physical keyboard might be the appropriate choice for a smaller, lower-cost phone.
post #69 of 93
Quote:

<snip>

I agree. People keep saying Apple won't do something because they have never done that before. But Apple is a much different business now that cannot rely only on creating the "next great thing". Market realities will force them to address customer segments that were previously not worth their time. I think that the rumored iPhone Nano is just such an example and I think that a slide-out keyboard may be the means to deliver a smaller form-factor with a usable keyboard.
post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

lower cost, lower spec, 1/3 smaller screen phone contribute little to the iOS ecosystem. If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?

Prosperity of the ecosystem depends on developers, and developers go where the money is. The number of phones Apple sells isn't really important, it's how many buyers want to buy content that's really the key.

Unless Apple figured out some really cool ways to make small screen work with the apps, I don't see it happenning.

I don't believe an iPhone Nano will necessarily have third-party apps. It will more likely be a media phone so that people can consume content. The reason is obvious - as you said, "If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?"
post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

I support many "low end" users that barely can use a keyboard and they have no issues on the iphone touch screen.

But I know several "high end" users who simply will not buy a smart phone without a physical keyboard. I've tried repeated to to tell/show them that the iPhone keyboard work very well, etc. but they will not budge.

Adding a "business" model to the line that included a keyboard would make them and many, many Blackberry users more likely to switch.
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I agree. People keep saying Apple won't do something because they have never done that before.

I agree. Apple makes multiple sizes and model lines for MacBooks and iPods. It makes sense for the iPhone as well.
post #73 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good to know thanks, Spliff!

Navigon is a great Nav App (I have almost all of them, and it's the only one I use regularly)

Watch for sales. It was only $30 last weekend. I bet is goes on sale for president's day weekend as well.
post #74 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Although this is not identified in the article but a slide-out physical keyboard might be the appropriate choice for a smaller, lower-cost phone.

Which goes back to what we were talking about in the earlier thread. I know this is going to sound silly, but I just happened to have the ATV remote next to me and the thought occurred to me that the "stick-like" form factor and the "unibody" metal design would be a good fit for this hypothetical device. Light, thin, tapered and akin to the construction of the current iPod.

The Proportions of the remote would have to be stretched a little, but at about 3 cm wide it's as wide as the text response area is as tall on my iphone. Assuming you would hold the device horizontally when you typed, the keyboard is only lightly taller. I have no idea what the requirements would be for the screen, keyboard etc, but in theory it doesn't have to be much bigger (proportionately) than the remote and now I'm imagining a morph between my remote (Which feels pretty good up to my ear. ) an ipod nano and my phone.
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuping View Post

Navigon is a great Nav App (I have almost all of them, and it's the only one I use regularly)

Watch for sales. It was only $30 last weekend. I bet is goes on sale for president's day weekend as well.

NIce tip. I paid full price. I'll be sure to watch out for the sales in the future.
post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's see who gets the last
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

1) Apps are cheap and perceived Market share does matter.
2) a lot of money for devs comes from ads, more in the future. Market share matters there too.
3) iOS is resolution independent.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #78 of 93
There will never be an iPhone with a physical keyboard. Perhaps a larger or smaller screen but never a physical keyboard.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #79 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I saw a report on Fox that the 12th iPhone prototype has a slide-out muslim from kenya. And it's all an Egyptian/AOL conspiracy to restore the caliphate. Or something like that, I was just flipping channels waiting for American Idol to come back on.

Watch out now!

The child-police will be out in full force before you know it!
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

There will never be an iPhone with a physical keyboard. Perhaps a larger or smaller screen but never a physical keyboard.

Well the advantage of a foldout keyboard would give Apple the ability to reduce the size of the screen and with that, smaller battery, thinner, lighter. If the new phone is supposed to be inexpensive then we ought to look at the ipod lineup to understand what Apple may do. The iPod Nano would definitely be the analogous to a new category of iphone in that Apple created a premium line and a less expensive line. They're probably ready to that with the iPhone now.

What will it look like, who knows? We're just speculating on the rumor that the new phone might have a keyboard. If this were the case, why? There are reasons why this might happen and reducing component costs is one reason. The presence of a keyboard could imply a smaller screen that couldn't accommodate the virtual keyboard. Other rumors had us talking about a simpler interface akin to the ipod nano UI, which makes sense since we're talking about a less expensive iPhone.

With the nano, the screen is smaller, the apps are simpler, the function is simplified. There may still be a dev kit for simpler apps (streaming media, Nike apps etc) but it won't be an Iphone any more than the nano is a IPT.

Which features would you strip away from the iphone if you had to create one a different group of people would want? Seems like there are allot of people that want something simpler, less expensive, less cumbersome (physically and in usability) than an iphone. I would say that it's just as critical that Apple capture that audience as it did with the Ipod.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard