or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard

Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard - Page 3

post #81 of 93
Production starts May 5th. Release to manufacture is only 11 days prior. Just FYI.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #82 of 93
Best thread this month!
post #83 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Best thread this month!

Heh. Apple will follow this up by releasing an iPad with a full-sized keyboard... it will fold over and cover the screen when not in use. And they will call it... NetPad Air

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #84 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My understanding is that Apple may actually go through dozens of prototypes and design iterations to come up with the final product. That really shouldn't be a surprise either. The assumption here though is that these are further along than normal lab prototypes, more like production tests units. Or maybe the translation is messing with my mind.

What doesn't mess with my mind is this idea of an iPhone with a keyboard. I think it is a very real possibility. Why? It is pretty simple really, such a keyboard provides for a larger screen or view port while entering text. Such a device makes for far easier text entry and more importantly far better editing. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing those little auto correct errors after you send out a message.

More importantly the slide out keyboard doesn't have to be the fixed function device we have seen on other phones. Instead it could be a slide out LCD touch screen of sorts. This would allow Apple to continue to have one device for world wide distribution due to the nature of a soft keyboard. It would be well worth a few bucks extra at the check out counter, especially for people using their iPhones a lot for text entry. In effect you get a much larger screen in the same form factor. The issue then becomes how do you do such a keyboard without making the iPhone FAT.

Why waste a keyboard when they can just expand the screen size it will solve two purposes have larger screen estate plus more room for the keyboard & content to co-exist without cluttering.
post #85 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I agree completely, anyone who has followed Apple for any length of time knows they would not consider a slide-out keyboard. They made that prototype to expose a leak (or else it is just chaff).

or a false start to their competitors, I am guessing the competitors might have bought themselves to the 7" inch ipad (ignoring the display pricing). And there is one more thing that such leaks does is that the some competition may actually buy into one of these as their future product and start working in the wrong direction.
post #86 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

Sorry, That's just wrong - It will _play_ cassettes.

You sure you're not confused with Sony's Walkphone?
post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Instead of a slide out keyboard why not a slide out gamepad?

I think you're thinking about he next PSP Sony is working on.
post #88 of 93
the moment apple release and iPhone w/ a HW keyboard, I'll can my awful android phone.

I don't care what you say, you can't type as fast on an iPhone as with a 5 row keyboard!
MacMiner - the first native Mac Bitcoin, Litecoin and Alt coin mining app
MacMiner - the first native Mac Bitcoin, Litecoin and Alt coin mining app
post #89 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by oseame View Post

the moment apple release and iPhone w/ a HW keyboard, I'll can my awful android phone.

I don't care what you say, you can't type as fast on an iPhone as with a 5 row keyboard!

And I don't care what you say; I can't type as fast on a physical phone keyboard as I can on an iPhone's keyboard.

To. Each. Their. Own.
post #90 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by oseame

I don't care what you say, you can't type as fast on an iPhone as with a 5 row keyboard!.

Nobody who can touch type ( or any fast type) can. I bet all the long posts here promoting the iPhones screen were on a laptop. Its fine for text, twitter and messages. Not for real work.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #91 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismastersvoice View Post

I just read on macrumors theres an ninth prototype that boots off cassette.

You do know that back in the Apple II days (over 30 years ago), while the machine booted from ROM, you loaded programs from cassette (before Wozniak developed the floppy drive controller). Computers like the Apple II and the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I (lovingly known as the "trash-80") used to come with portable Panasonic cassette recorders with piano-type control keys.

I think it worked on the Apple pretty smoothly (but obviously slowly), but on the Radio Shack, you'd see two asterisks on the upper right hand corner of the screen. You'd adjust the volume control so that one asterisk was solid and the other blinked. Then you'd rewind the tape and start the "real" load of the program.

When Apple, Commodore and Radio Shack came out with the first floppy drives (all of about 130K each), it seemed miraculous. Accessory manufacturers used to sell punches so you could notch a write hole and use both sides of the floppy, even though the back side would not have been certified.
post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I saw a report on Fox that the 12th iPhone prototype has a slide-out muslim from kenya. And it's all an Egyptian/AOL conspiracy to restore the caliphate. Or something like that, I was just flipping channels waiting for American Idol to come back on.

+1!

That made me spit out my coffee.
post #93 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

You do know that back in the Apple II days...

Ahh, brings back memories! I started out on a C64 in the early 80's. It would really make a player wrestle every last ounce of enjoyment out of a game when you had to wait 15 minutes for the damn thing to load. And then sometimes, it would get to the end of the loading process, and... crash! Maybe a drop-out on the tape, and 1 byte didn't make it through correctly. So you had to start over.

Programmers came up with compression fairly soon however, reducing the load times off cassette to around 3-8 minutes, all the while flicking the background colour of the screen different colours, presumably in synch with the different byte values read off the cassette.

Those were the days...

Oh and copy-protection for cassette was kind of built-in.... you could dub a tape to a blank one, but it would lose fidelity during the analogue transfer, and the copy's signal would be too weak to load without being riddled with errors.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard