or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Initial sales of Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 disappoint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Initial sales of Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 disappoint - Page 2

post #41 of 118
Um, duh?

(1) Many people who were holding out for Verizon iPhone either gave up and bought an AT&T iPhone, or gave up and bought an Android handset. Those people are now locked into contracts they can't get out of without hefty fees. Eg people who want a Verizon iPhone but now can't justify switching.

(2) iPhone 4 is now old tech and the Verizon iPhone offers almost no new features, other then the hotspot feature. Thus, no compelling reason to jump ship to it if you already using another smartphone.

(3) Fear apple will shortly release iPhone 5 and your purchase will be instantly antiquated.

In light of those reasons, it was pretty obvious Verizon iPhone wasn't going to be a blowout. Maybe 6 months ago yes, but not now.
post #42 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

As usual everybody spins this to agree with their personal bias for or against Apple and the iPhone. Wall Street doesn't seem to be bothered though.

Thank goodness! Keep pushing that all time high Apple! Just find a way to keep it up.
post #43 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I think Apple coming to Verizon was more about stopping/slowing the momentum of Android than it was about selling more phones.

There are many people waiting for iphone 5 and many that are in contracts that they can't justify getting out of. Iphone 5 should be the real numbers, and I predict it will be record sales again.

Look at all the free advertising apple is currently getting from att and verizon, this was the real genius of bringing it out when they did. While we wait for iphone 5 all we see are iphone commercials and nearly zero android commercials

So it's apart of an intricate chess match, you say? Yeah, I hear you.

I guess on the other end, Verizon stopped the AT&T iPhone momentum as well.

You're right about the ads. It seems like the iPhone is the only phone on the market right now when I turn on the television.
post #44 of 118
Verizon has over 90 million subscribers. Why wouldn't Apple launch the new phone on their network? That wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

There's certainly no guarantee that Verizon will have the iPhone5 in 4 months. I personally believe it won't.
post #45 of 118
that probably another major reason iphone sales aren't as robust as anticipated. i have 1.6 mos till my contract is up and won't be switching to the iphone b/c of it...even though i've been waiting years for a verizon iphone. it costs too much to break my contract and on top of that, pay for the iphone. i've always gotten free phones with contract renew, guess i will have to scrap that from now on once i can get my hands on the iphone.
post #46 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

OMG relaunching the same phone 7 months later with the expectation that it will be obsolete in five months an it is selling a little below expectations??? Apple is DOOMED

I'm not saying that Apple is doomed (longterm shareholder), but the point is that the expectations that weren't met were Apple's and Verizon's, not some analyst's. The fact that Apple is smart company with lots of resources, and all of the data from it's own research, Verizon's customer data (when contracts expire, trends of when people will pay ETFs, etc), it irks me that (if the article is true) that their expectations were too high.

That should bother any shareholder at least a little, no?
post #47 of 118
Possible reasons:

It was launched right after the holidays.

People were actually caught off guard with no months of lead time to plan how to save up money, get out of their existing contracts and sell their old phones.

It's basically the same model that has been available for 7 months.

If you really wanted one you already have one on AT&T.

If you couldn't stand to leave Verizon you are on contract with a droid pretending it's superior while secretly waiting for your contract to end so you can get an iPhone.

Most people that expect to switch carriers or dump the droid for the iPhone are planning to wait until the new iPhone comes out in June / July and switch then.

Some are expecting AT&T to improve after many people jump ship to Verizon

Maybe AT&T wasn't so bad for most.

Maybe the market for smart phones has peaked.

Maybe the Droids are not so bad.

People are really waiting for the iPad 2 and will spend their gadget money on that and get an iPhone later
post #48 of 118
Verizon should of offered early upgrades,but they decided to be asses
post #49 of 118
post #50 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I think that there were a few unhappy (loud and vocal too) AT&T customers. But for most people, Verizon was not seen as a better choice.

As each day passes, more information on the lack of Verizon iPhone features surface. This was on 9-to-5 Mac today:



Maybe, just maybe, customers are smart. Maybe people realize that Verizon's CDMA network has crippled the iPhone (lack of speed, lack of concurrent voice/data, lack of global coverage, lack of "real" conference call ability and management (no drop, no swap, no more than 2 calls)).

Here was an opening day at an Apple Store....embarrassing for Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaFywhywjA

Because Apple waited too long. If the 3GS would have been CDMA it would have been huge - before Android became a credible challenger. Talking with kids - 17-20 - today, its all about how Android lets you do more stuff and Apple keeps you locked down.
post #51 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon has over 90 million subscribers. Why wouldn't Apple launch the new phone on their network? That wouldn't make much sense.

I think you know the answer to your question.

But I'll indulge you - the reason is because they just released one this month, and we all know the outcry that will happen when those buyers have their phone made to look old. I'm not saying it's 100%, but that's where my bet is.
post #52 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's no way you can predict these sales numbers. Any analyst who puts a concrete number on this thing is an amateur.

Agreed, seems reminiscent of the negative commentary about the "first iPhone numbers" coming out of Japan a couple of years ago. Underwhelming to start with, but now very healthy!

Best
post #53 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Looks like they doubled their sales.

Fantastic.

Overnight, they are selling twice as many phones with verizon and att combined than they were selling with att alone.

Major win for apple.

Exactly. Most people miss this simple point.

And, I'll take the $3.58 up (so far) today.
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Because Apple waited too long. If the 3GS would have been CDMA it would have been huge - before Android became a credible challenger. Talking with kids - 17-20 - today, its all about how Android lets you do more stuff and Apple keeps you locked down.

Yeah. Apple is Doomed.
post #55 of 118
- Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539 Difference=370
- Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680 Diff=236
- Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471 Diff=189
- Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701 Diff=95
- Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618 Diff=93

Trend not looking good for Verizon.....5 days after their biggest launch in history, AT&T is almost back on top.
post #56 of 118
so friggin funny!
post #57 of 118
Not shocked at all. It's an old iPhone. There is going to be a significant release in June....so most people are waiting until iPhone 5 when there is the wallet and other things like that added to the iPhone.
post #58 of 118
Wow that is a pretty significant list of differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

As each day passes, more information on the lack of Verizon iPhone features surface. This was on 9-to-5 Mac today:
post #59 of 118
There is no one model of Android phone that sells anywhere near the iPhone by itself.

Exactly what are 17 - 20 year olds doing with Android that they find better than the iPhone? Outside of the internet I've never heard anyone care about how open or closed a phone OS is.

The people I know with Android phones are mostly using the same apps that are available on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Because Apple waited too long. If the 3GS would have been CDMA it would have been huge - before Android became a credible challenger. Talking with kids - 17-20 - today, its all about how Android lets you do more stuff and Apple keeps you locked down.
post #60 of 118
You really think in July Apple is going to leave money on the table because of concern about people who bought a phone back in February?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think you know the answer to your question

But I'll indulge you - the reason is because they just released one this month, and we all know the outcry that will happen when those buyers have their phone made to look old. I'm not saying it's 100%, but that's where my bet is.
post #61 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't think Apple has much concern about stopping or slowing the growth of Android.

If anything the more Android phones that are made the better for Apple. As Android grows it becomes a more fragmented and incoherent platform.

The more fragmented and incoherent Android becomes the better iOS looks for developers and users.

I love it when people try this game.

iOS has more fragmentation than ever. TV/streaming device, music player, iphone, ipad, etc..... The Itunes Operating System started as a music player, and it's been a stretch to adapt it to all of these devices.

In fact, the more that apple releases products, the more iOS fragmentation they will have. Now with a different IP4 on VZW, iOS just got more fragmented.
post #62 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

- Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539 Difference=370
- Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680 Diff=236
- Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471 Diff=189
- Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701 Diff=95
- Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618 Diff=93

Trend not looking good for Verizon.....5 days after their biggest launch in history, AT&T is almost back on top.

Wow, interesting number. I tend to agree with most people here that people are waiting for the iphone 5. I had a friend that needs a ipad now, but he's still waiting for version 2. I'm also in the same boat with upgrading some of my Adobe software... if the next version (CS6) is coming out in a few months, why not wait. And then if I put it off a little longer, maybe CS7 will be out...


Get the inside scoop to understanding clever exhibit booth jargon.
post #63 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think you know the answer to your question.

But I'll indulge you - the reason is because they just released one this month, and we all know the outcry that will happen when those buyers have their phone made to look old. I'm not saying it's 100%, but that's where my bet is.

How about Android based phones? It seems every day one new Android based phone is released to the market. Is there a study or news asking what the buyers feel when a new Android phone is available only a week after the purchase?
post #64 of 118
This is such a piece of bullsh*t on the part of BGR: only 15% of those figures were ex AT&T customers, so the other 85% (about 3400 across those stores) are sales in addition to existing AT&T sales.

The only figure that matters is quarter on quarter (or week on week) subscriber growth, and by BGR's own figures that looks like nearly 100%. Pretty fuucking good if you ask me.
post #65 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I seriously doubt Apple expected people to turn out in February for a 7 month old phone that is soon the be updated the same way the would in July for a brand new phone.

It's AT&T's fault. For no reason other than it's always AT&T's fault.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #66 of 118
I don't think the report is accurate - at least not in terms of saying the Verizon phone is now selling at the same levels as AT&T. Tomorrow marks a week since the initial release, yet according to this

http://labs.chitika.com/iZone/

Verizon already has 4.7% of the iPhone web traffic in the US. This is up from the 3.4% that was reported a few days ago. That means they should be in the range of 800k to a million sold thus far.
post #67 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I seriously doubt Apple expected people to turn out in February for a 7 month old phone that is soon the be updated the same way the would in July for a brand new phone.

+1... not to mention many AT&T users are locked into their Iphone 4 contracts and paying to get out of it hurts. Why would I switch now when I can wait for the Iphone5 and get out of my contact in a few more months? I'm sure I'm not alone.
post #68 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They keep using the initial launch of the iPhone to compare the launch of the Verizon phone. Which is a false comparison for theatrics.

The more relevant comparison would be the Verizon iPhone against other phones that Verizon currently sells. How well is it selling against those?

I noticed this too.

There are so many problems with these numbers (at least in the way they are being reported), that the data is essentially useless. They don't say which five days of which model or anything. They don't figure in time of year, product cycles, market saturation or even correct for the size of the addressable market.

It's really just another anti-Apple hype story which, in earlier times, AppleInsider would typically refrain from publishing. (that's a hint to the management)
post #69 of 118
Am I the only one who thought predictions of long lines and massive sales were a little on the daft side? I mean, it's a product that has been out for 8 months, most potential buyers are still going to be attached to one contract or another and half of them are well-aware of Apple's release schedule for new hardware meaning many of them will wait it out for iPhone 5 (or whatever the next rev will be called.) I just don't see why anyone thought we were going to see a replay of last summer.
post #70 of 118
3 of my friends in the U.S. are waiting for iPhone 5
post #71 of 118
I think that most Verizon customers who say they are going to switch to a iPhone when it is available are not the sort that will do it on the first day of sales. Most will wait until their contract is up for renewal. The same goes for people switching from AT&T. Most Android users I know already have an iPod Touch, so there is no big hurry to switch.

I think a better indicator of success is to look at how Android sales have declined.
post #72 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architapier View Post

Personally, I'll be waiting for the next version of the iphone, after all it is only like March, April, May away. It'll be worth the wait, already waited this long.

Exactly. Why buy yesterday's phone when the new one is just around the corner.
post #73 of 118
OMG! Panic! Panic! Panic! Clearly Apple is circling the drain! Sell! Sell! Sell!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #74 of 118
it might be disappointing to you, but honestly the early adopter crowd is not going to queue up for something that they know for a fact will be updated in about 4 months.

same reason why no one queue for a Droid lol. there's always a new one within 2 weeks.
post #75 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

3 of my friends in the U.S. are waiting for iPhone 5

I know I am....
post #76 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Apple is Doomed.

Certainly the dominance was doomed. That happened last year as a matter of fact.
post #77 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OMG! Panic! Panic! Panic! Clearly Apple is circling the drain! Sell! Sell! Sell!

ITS SURPRISING HOW ALMOST ALL THE POSTS GIVE CREDIT TO THIS RUMOR! Boy Wonder my foot!

Has anyone done any serious research on this guy? What´s his track record?

Maybe Boy Wonder is just another Android developer.......

Let´s wait for official sales figures instead of drawing out conclusions from a couple of unverified retail store figures........
post #78 of 118
The differences between the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and how Apple has adapted iOS for their use is nothing close to what is happening with Android.

You can play the same games on the Verizon iPhone 4, AT&T iPhone 4, and iPad. You can plug a Verizon iPhone 4 and AT&T iPhone 4 into the same peripherals and they will work the exact same way.







Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

I love it when people try this game.

iOS has more fragmentation than ever. TV/streaming device, music player, iphone, ipad, etc..... The Itunes Operating System started as a music player, and it's been a stretch to adapt it to all of these devices.

In fact, the more that apple releases products, the more iOS fragmentation they will have. Now with a different IP4 on VZW, iOS just got more fragmented.
post #79 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Exactly what are 17 - 20 year olds doing with Android that they find better than the iPhone? Outside of the internet I've never heard anyone care about how open or closed a phone OS is.

There are a ton of things I can tell you from my own experience, but I'm over twice as old

But I can tell you from anecdotal experience, one of the main reasons four teenage family friends bought an Android was because of keyboards. One with a physical keyboard and the others with software keyboards. All of them are using Swype. Needless to say, they text a lot. After the iPhone, I was determined to never buy another phone with just a soft keyboard. But I have a Vibrant now and use the SwiftKey keyboard. I'm constantly amazed at how eerily accurate it is in guessing the next word. The ability to have/change keyboards comes from an open system. They aren't just words you know.
post #80 of 118
If this is true, neither Apple nor Verizon should be surprised. They would get that kind of sell through if they launched pre-holiday season. Folks are broke from all the holiday shopping in the first 3 months of the year, they bought tons of other devices over the holidays, the iPhone 4 is not a shiny new product anymore, plus the iPhone 5 is nearly upon us. Why are they disappointed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report that purports to show initial sales of the Verizon iPhone 4 claims that device's launched failed to meet the expectations of both Apple and Verizon.

Boy Genius Report cited an alleged Apple source on Wednesday in a report that claims first-week Verizon iPhone sales performed "a little under what Apple and Verizon anticipated." The source also provided figures that claim to show sales totals from five Apple stores, showing that Verizon iPhone sales by the device's fifth day of availability barely exceeded AT&T.

The figures purported to be from five Apple stores include "two very, very prominent" locations, and show in-store sales of 909 Verizon iPhones on the device's first day of availability, compared to 539 AT&T handsets. By the next Monday, the stores allegedly sold a collective total of 711 Verizon iPhone 4 models, while 618 handsets were sold on AT&T's network.

The site also claimed that online pre-orders between Verizon and Apple totaled about 550,000 units. Neither Apple nor Verizon have announced sales figures for the handset, which went on sale Feb. 10, though first-day preorders for existing Verizon customers quickly sold out. In addition, the carrier said that the iPhone 4 broke its sales records in just 2 hours.

Wednesday's report also claims that 30 percent of Verizon iPhone buyers were Android users switching to Apple's handset, while just over a quarter were coming from Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform. Just 14 percent of Verizon iPhone buyers were said to be AT&T iPhone owners switching carriers.

Apple's silence on Verizon iPhone 4 sales stands in contract to the initial debut of the iPhone 4 last June, when Apple revealed that it sold 1.7 million handsets in just the first three days of availability. This month's debut of the CDMA iPhone 4 was on just one carrier, while last year's GSM iPhone 4 was introduced in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan.

Various accounts from across the U.S. indicated that lines at Verizon and Apple stores were modest when the CDMA iPhone 4 went on sale earlier this month. RBC analyst Mike Abramsky said that checks with 40 different Verizon retail stores found that the launch was healthy but not a "blowout."

The analyst has forecast that Apple will sell one million of the Verizon iPhone 4 in its first week of availability. As of Wednesday, customers had a total of six full days to buy the handset at a retail store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Initial sales of Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 disappoint