or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Motorola exec slips Google's plans for iTunes competitor

Motorola exec slips Google's plans for iTunes competitor

post #1 of 40
While Google's plans to set up a music service have been rumored for years, Motorola's chief executive Sanjay Jha slipped in describing the service as if it were already available, in a conversation promoting his company's new Xoom tablet.

According to a report by The Guardian, while speaking at the Barcelona Mobile World Congress, Jha said Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb would add value to Motorola's Xoom tablet because it "adds video services and music services" critical to competing with Apple's iPad.

"If you look at Google Mobile services [in Android] today, there's a video service, there's a music service," Jha said, before correcting himself by saying, "that is, there will be a music service."

Where is Google Music?

The idea of Google breaking into the music business isn't new. Back in 2006, the company was rumored to be working with Napster to set up an iTunes competitor, a move that resulted in a 2.2 percent hit on Apple's stock despite its five year head start in music.

Last March, SimplyMedia, the developer of an iPhone app that allowed users to stream music and media from their desktop iTunes to iOS devices, pulled its title from the App Store. It was then revealed in May that Google had killed the app after purchasing the company, and planned to use its technology to power similar functionality for Android.

Last summer, the discovery of a "Google Music" logo reanimated rumors that Apple would face direct competition from the maker of Android in the music and media business.

In September, just one day after Apple launched iTunes 10, Google was reported to be securing licensing rights with music labels that would allow it to open a music store by the end of the year.

A tablet music tie-in

Motorola's comments suggest that Google hasn't given up, and instead hopes to launch its music store as the lynchpin of its Honeycomb tablet release. So far, Google's tablet strategy is closer to Apple's original Newton than its iPad, offering lots of cool looking features without a clear sense of what it would actually be used to do to justify its relatively high cost, with models starting at $800.

After giving up on Newton devices in 1998, Apple's tablet strategy was delayed while the company focused on building iTunes (2001), creating a music player, establishing a music business (2003), building a business in commercial TV (2005) and movie rentals (2008), launching a smartphone (2007) and building an App Store (2008), before finally returning to deliver the iPad (2010) as a blank canvas for using that vast library of apps, music, and video, starting at an aggressive $500 price.

Google does not have a standalone music app, nor a music store, nor a music or media device platform outside of Android smartphones, and its Android Marketplace is not living up to the company's expectations for selling apps.

By launching a music business targeted at the upcoming debut of its Honeycomb licensee's tablets, Google may jumpstart a new ecosystem. A parallel effort to court periodical publishers with a One Pass digital subscription model that is cheaper than Apple's and allows publishers full access to subscribers' valuable personal data is also accompanying the Android 3.0 launch.

However, Google faces the same issues Microsoft did in launching the Zune and its new Zune Marketplace in 2006: a device held back by a fledgling music store, and a music store held back by limited hardware sales. This may result in Google partnering with a company offering more experience in retail, such as Amazon, which already sells media and plans to enter the Android app business.

Google may also find it critical to expand its music strategy to actually leverage the installed base of Android users, nearly all of whom are on smartphones. The company pitched its new Android 3.0 Honeycomb release exclusively for tablets that do not yet exist on the market, saying that it planned to eventually bring many of those features to its smartphones users without offering details as to when that would happen.

A worthy competitor

Moves by Google to enter the established business of competitors have a mixed track record of success. Google essentially took the search and online advertising markets away from Microsoft and Yahoo ten years ago, and has become a leader in Maps, News, Translation, and other related online services. Its Android OS has virtually destroyed the market for JavaME, Flash Lite, Windows Mobile and Symbian as broadly licensed smartphone platforms.

Google has found it more difficult to enter other markets, making only minimal gains against Microsoft's Office suite with its own online web apps, and failing to best YouTube with its own Google Video, which required the company to buy its former competitor to enter that market.

Google has also experienced disappointment with efforts to create or enter existing markets with its Answers, Base, Buzz, Catalogs, Dodgeball, Google TV, Jaiku, Knol, Lively, Notebook, Orkut, Sidewiki, Nexus One, Wave and WebM initiatives.
post #2 of 40
No doubt Google are also working on a new logo that is a fruit! Jeez they are sooo original with all their concepts.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 40
Will I, along with the other 42 people who have accounts, be able to use Google Wallet?
post #4 of 40
It's always difficult to enter a market that is so established. It's not impossible, and Google would certainly have ways to leverage their presence toward making a successful music service, it will definitely be difficult.

Who knows?
post #5 of 40
Do I want to give credit card details to Google?

Do I want all my web browsing to be plastered all over with ads offering competing credit cards?

I

DON'T

THINK

SO
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #6 of 40
The only way I see this working for them is with what they do so far which is ads, ads, and more ads. I for one don't want any experience that forces me into more ads. If an App exists in a paid versus Ad supported version (and I use it for anything more than very casual once every other week or less use) I will buy it cause I hate ads. This seems to be what Googles entire model is and for me that is a non-starter!
post #7 of 40
I know everyone has moved on - the phrase du jour is "iPad KILLER", but really, what happened to all those "iPod KILLERs".

Isn't anyone trying to kill the iPod?
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0T View Post

I know everyone has moved on - the phrase du jour is "iPad KILLER", but really, what happened to all those "iPod KILLERs".

Isn't anyone trying to kill the iPod?

It's already dead, remember? That's what all those analysts said when the iPhone was released. The 50 million or so iPods sold since then just proves it - it could have been 60 million.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's already dead, remember? That's what all those analysts said when the iPhone was released. The 50 million or so iPods sold since then just proves it - it could have been 60 million.

I guess that is the kind of fate the iPad can look forward to next year. So sad.
post #10 of 40
Google truly is the new evil. They take our personal internet data without compensating us, all the while making BILLIONS on our backs. They then try to position themselves as some kind of heros to the common man, the carriers and now the publishers because they are the "good guys", providing "a better deal". Hopefully this is going to bite them in the ass sooner rather than later when consumers wake up to the fact that they've sold their souls to this company as they monitor and monetize everything you do on the internet as they sell you to the highest bidder.
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google has also experienced disappointment with efforts to create or enter existing markets with its Answers, Base, Buzz, Catalogs, Dodgeball, Google TV, Jaiku, Knol, Lively, Notebook, Orkut, Sidewiki, Nexus One, Wave and WebM initiatives.

That's hilarious - they've used up half the alphabet already.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Google truly is the new evil. They take our personal internet data without compensating us, all the while making BILLIONS on our backs. They then try to position themselves as some kind of heros to the common man, the carriers and now the publishers because they are the "good guys", providing "a better deal". Hopefully this is going to bite them in the ass sooner rather than later when consumers wake up to the fact that they've sold their souls to this company as they monitor and monetize everything you do on the internet as they sell you to the highest bidder.

Far be it from me to defend Google, but this is a business. Apple has thier way of monetizing thier offerings, as does google.

The Android operating system itself is a compensation they provide for your information, as is every google service, if they were truly not compensating a consumer, why are they so widely used?

I mean your post is just totally nonsensical.

I'm an apple guy, who is very on edge with the waters apple is dabbling in with their want for control. I dont want to be an ad whore, but apple is tetering on the edge of that value comparison in my mind, with the next 4 months of decisions they make regarding thier content providers....

I hope they are making the correct ones. I dont fully understand why they are squeezing their grip so tightly on a business that hardly adds anything to thier bottom line, relatively speaking.

Sorry, thats a bit off topic, bleed over from the big topic of the day.
post #13 of 40
As mentioned a few stories ago, the new phrase is no longer "iPad Killer" but "iPad Suicide Bomber".

After Wave, I no longer tremble at the sound of the Google prefix.
post #14 of 40
Google has deep pockets but while they keep trying to re-invent the wheel, the video tube, the iPhone and iPad, Apple stock price keeps inching closer and closer to Google stock.

Meanwhile, Apple improves their inventions and spend time divining new gizmos for the future so others will have more to run after. Google will eventually run out of money. We're sure running out of patience.

iProducts + iStores + iTunes + iNtegraton + iDeas. The i's have it.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #15 of 40
Of course, since it's Google, the artists will never get paid. After all, data wants to be free, right?

(For the Google fans who will be screaming and ranting about how unfair that comment is, it's not unprecedented. They tried to do exactly the same thing by copying every published work and putting it on the Web).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No doubt Google are also working on a new logo that is a fruit! Jeez they are sooo original with all their concepts.

Yeah, like Apple was the first to sell music online
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

It's always difficult to enter a market that is so established. It's not impossible, and Google would certainly have ways to leverage their presence toward making a successful music service, it will definitely be difficult.

Who knows?

They will just give the music away for free.
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

If google offered free laptops with the condition that your life became an open book to every and all who were interested, there would be a line that never ends. Its amazing what people will do for free stuff.
post #19 of 40
Motorola Mobile is clueless -- even before the split MOT NEVER was good at software - still are not -- they have no IP of their own for a good smart device operating systems, and rely fully on Google for smart devices. It is sad this company has lost its rudder. MOT should have bought Palm before HP did!!!!

MOT has had way too many boneheaded decisions, like the one to eradicate Macs when THEY made the CPUs in the computers, in favor of Wintel at the time.

Maybe HP should buy MOT Mobile now... I don't see MOT Mobile surviving, as just another ME TOO Google Android licensee...
post #20 of 40
Quote:

Motorola's comments suggest that Google hasn't given up, and instead hopes to launch its music store as the lynchpin of its Honeycomb tablet release. So far, Google's tablet strategy is closer to Apple's original Newton than its iPad, offering lots of cool looking features without a clear sense of what it would actually be used to do to justify its relatively high cost, with models starting at $800.

Correction, DED.

32GB Wifi Xoom is $600.
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yeah, like Apple was the first to successfully sell music online

You left a word out, so I fixed it for you,
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ

Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque
They will just give the music away for free.

And Google will intersperse ads within each song. Can you imagine Elvis singing:

"You aint nothin' but a houn' dog..." "This song sponsored by your local SPCA, who is providing rabies shots at half price this weekend." "...you ain't no friend of mine." "Go visit happyplaymates.com and you'll have a friend for dinner." "You can download an ad-free version of this song by clicking on...."

Oh, ho-hum.
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stourque View Post

they will just give the music away for free.

haha!
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

The Android operating system itself is a compensation they provide for your information, as is every google service, if they were truly not compensating a consumer, why are they so widely used?

Android is free and manufacturers of hardware devices are allowed to manipulate and add their bloatware to it. This is why it is widely used. Google doesn't have the consumer in mind at any point when it comes to their Android OS, IMO.

However, when it comes to Google Maps or the search engine I think they do.
post #26 of 40
deleted
post #27 of 40
deleted
post #28 of 40
hope it's as good as Google eBooks.
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Which Android phone do you own, and why did you choose it over an iPhone?

I just bought an iPone. I think it's awesome. But why can't we have custom 'text' sounds, or 'voicemail' sounds? Also, I had a 'dumb' phone for a long time that would at least blink a light if I missed a message or call. I figured the iPhone could or would do that. Everything else it does beyond expectations, but just these three things?... Basic cell phone things? I still love the phone, but really?
post #30 of 40
Dear Music Industry,

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. iTunes saved the music industry even though your profits shrank. But what worse fate awaits you in the clutches of the Evil Empire?
post #31 of 40
Quote:

No, they were only the first to show how it should be done.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #32 of 40
Quote:

I really could care less about the first bozo to do it. I care about the first guy to do it right, that's what counts. History is painted with unknowns who did it first, those who never persevered to get it right. Now we have a screwed up patent system that awards napkin scribblers money because they had the "idea"... We all have great ideas, those who implement those ideas to mass appeal should be compensated. If you did it first and nobody used it, then go away.
post #33 of 40
Quote:

parallel effort to court periodical publishers with a One Pass digital subscription model that is cheaper than Apple's and allows publishers full access to subscribers' valuable personal data is also accompanying the Android 3.0 launch.

Um. Scary?!?!

This is one of the things I really like about Apple's supposed fascist modelApple is looking out for the interests of the customer, which means making sure developers behave themselves. Google will have no such "watchdog" measures (that's what "open" seems to mean, these days), which means there's nothing to stop developers from gleaning any user data they wish without the customer's knowledge or consent.

This is all part of a pattern from Googlethey're developer/market-oriented, whereas Apple is customer-oriented. Remember when Google was "busted" with people's personal data, IP info, and profiles, including passwords via StreetView? Google's response was, "oops, we didn't know we were collecting that data... Our bad. Really, we're not evil! Just look at our company slogan!" Yeah. Right.

On the other hand, I've always had the feeling that Apple actually cares about me, the customer. I've never been that concerned that Apple is somehow secretly collecting info about me and selling it to other people. It's entirely possible that they are tracking and logging every keystroke and storing it all in that fancy new farm in NC as part of some grand, nefarious design, and they're sooooooo good at covering their tracks that no one knows about it. But, when I remove my tinfoil hat at the end of the day, I feel pretty comfortable and safe using my Apple products. I feel less comfortable using Google products.

Google's philosophy is similar to Facebook's. The "customers" are advertisers. We are the commodity, and willingly give out our personal information to be traded/bought/sold to advertisers who want to sell us stuff. Google and Facebook don't care at all about the userswhich is why they're constantly defending themselves against privacy concernsi.e. if they had their druthers, they would have NO privacy settings at all.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Far be it from me to defend Google, but this is a business. Apple has thier way of monetizing thier offerings, as does google.

I'm an apple guy, who is very on edge with the waters apple is dabbling in with their want for control. I dont want to be an ad whore, but apple is tetering on the edge of that value comparison in my mind, with the next 4 months of decisions they make regarding thier content providers....

I hope they are making the correct ones. I dont fully understand why they are squeezing their grip so tightly on a business that hardly adds anything to thier bottom line, relatively speaking.

Sorry, thats a bit off topic, bleed over from the big topic of the day.

I categorically disagree that Android (or any other Google "free" service) is somehow compensatory for the depth of intrusion into consumers' personal lives or the use of the search engine. And just because they are widely used doesn't mean they are good for consumers, anymore more than smoking or drinking are healthy habits just because millions of people do them.

Anyone who has any awareness of the history of technology and Apple's role in it over time, recognizes each of the decisions that Apple makes around supporting their ecosystem is consistent with their approach to how a platform should operate. You perhaps have failed to recognize this, that is understandable. But to insist that they are somehow "squeezing their grip so tightly" as if there is no choice by those who are participating in the ecosystem, is to demonstrate a lack of awareness and understanding about how the platform operates. While it is uncomfortable for some developers who have developed a reliance on redirecting people out of their apps to their websites in order to dodge Apple's fee requirements, it doesn't widely impact those that are running ad-supported free apps, or fee'd apps that follow the rules. Conversely, the print industry has for a long time, (much like the music industry) hardened their product approach to a level of inflexibility that backed them into a very compromised corner.

Originators of content (authors, etc.) get very little for thier efforts, all justified by the publishing houses as requiring huge overhead, and the slow erosion of content by advertising. When presented by a disruptive platform that could help reverse this unsavory trend (for consumers) they naturally balk at any approach that doesn't leave intact their control and modus operandi, which involves full access (like Google desires) to all consumer info to use or sell as they see fit.

I would support your decision (wrong-headed as it is) to attempt to hold hostage your next Apple purchase by not buying an Apple product, were it based on reality where the platform is concerned, but it is not.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #35 of 40
deleted
post #36 of 40
Apple plays to where the puck WILL BE, Google just keeps playing to where Apple is.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Successful? For whom? Last I checked the music industry had the lowest sales ever last year. ITunes is not the saviour it was made out to be.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Can you share with us how this alleged "depth of intrusion" has effected you personally?

If enough people say "Google is invading our privacy" others start believing it and will repeat it as fact sans proof.
post #39 of 40
deleted
post #40 of 40
Quote:

Successful? For whom? Last I checked the music industry had the lowest sales ever last year. ITunes is not the saviour it was made out to be.

Successful for Apple. iTunes made it easy to legally download music to your own computer, and play it on registered devices. It was never Apple's goal to "save" the music industry, but one of the benefits for the record labels was there was a legal (i.e. profit-oriented) path to digital distribution of their content. But an added bonus was to independent artiststhose who, for whatever reason, could not get that multi-gazillion $$ record deal. Independent artists can now get their music out to their fans and still own the content.

By "lowest sales", do you mean physical media distribution? Digital sales? Overall sales? What?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Motorola exec slips Google's plans for iTunes competitor