or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

... I do believe (as many do in the Democratic party) that [President Obama] believes in wealth redistribution and although says he doesn't he doesn't believe in putting a penalty on 'those that can afford more' I think he really does not mind it at all. In his (and others minds) its OK to take away from those that have worked hard to make their money (or those fortunate enough to have someone else in there lives that did) as long as it is to help the poor or some other group he wants to help. I personally think that is what charities are for and that we would all pay less if we paid a flat tax. ...

Everyone believes in redistribution of wealth. The difference is in which direction it ought to be redistributed. Republican economic policies favor redistribution from middle class and poor to the rich, and these policies have become much more actively aggressive over the past 30 years. Democratic policies tend to favor redistribution in the opposite direction.

As far as either approach supports the goal of a free, open and democratic society, it seems to me that one that tends to hinder the development of a moneyed aristocracy is the correct approach. So, while it's easy to complain about, "taking money away from those who have worked hard to make it," -- as though the poor and middle class are entirely a bunch of idlers who never put in a hard days work in their lives -- and to pretend that wealth isn't very much due to the accidents of circumstances (for every rich person who became rich because they had a "good idea" (defined in retrospect based on their success) and profited from it, there are at least a thousand people who had equally good ideas, worked hard and didn't succeed) the reality is that unless a society has a mechanism (or mechanisms) in place to hinder the development of hereditary wealth, the power that that wealth gives its possessors will ultimately undermine any democracy.

The question therefore, is not whether redistribution of wealth is right or wrong -- it will happen in one direction or the other in any case -- but which direction and degree of redistribution is best for maintaining a healthy democracy.

(And, as far as tax policy goes, a flat tax is utterly regressive and favors a redistribution of wealth from the poor and middle class to the rich. It's hard to imagine a less "fair" tax system, nor one which threatens the foundations of a democracy more, in and of itself. That doesn't mean our current tax system is the best of all possible systems, it just means that while emotionally appealing to some, a flat tax would be ultimately destructive of our society.)
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

... There is only one major political party in the US -- the big government party. We need libertarians for smaller government.

Libertarianism is the most entirely self-contradictory and absurd political philosophy that has ever been developed. Taken to its logical conclusions, it bears no difference from anarchy. Yet, it never follows its premises anywhere, but simply creates arbitrary categories of instances where the government ought to act, while, just as arbitrarily excluding others.

Essentially it's nothing more than cheap window dressing on a belief that the rich ought to be able to do as they damn well please and that the resources of society ought to be directed solely at preserving their wealth. Perversely, the selfish, childish and uncritical impulses of the not rich often drive them to adopt it, in name at least, as some sort of utopian ideal where life will be wonderful because they can live without any societal responsibilities.
post #83 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Libertarianism is the most entirely self-contradictory and absurd political philosophy that has ever been developed. Taken to its logical conclusions, it bears no difference from anarchy. Yet, it never follows its premises anywhere, but simply creates arbitrary categories of instances where the government ought to act, while, just as arbitrarily excluding others.

Essentially it's nothing more than cheap window dressing on a belief that the rich ought to be able to do as they damn well please and that the resources of society ought to be directed solely at preserving their wealth. Perversely, the selfish, childish and uncritical impulses of the not rich often drive them to adopt it, in name at least, as some sort of utopian ideal where life will be wonderful because they can live without any societal responsibilities.


+2, I really like both of your posts.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

The right in this country tars Obama with the label "socialist." Their Exhibit A is the insurance reform he got passed. But it is hard for them to explain how Obama's use of the ideas of Senator Dole and Governor Romney in putting this package together is "socialist," while those two aren't. It is easy for them to make him an "other" because of his race.

I'll bite on this one, personally I like Allen West. I've heard him speak and interviewed a few times now and he is about the closest thing in Washington right now to hitting the nail on the head. I think this country would be better with a few more Allen's running around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, therefore, your choice would be......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

In theory all of the partisan political blather should be confined to the political forum, but in practice it frequently boils over into other discussions, and unfortunately the mods don't make much of an effort to shut it down. This is the rare time when posters who are almost never seen participating in any discussion outside of the political forum turn up to pollute other threads.

It's a story about Steve Jobs visiting President Obama. Did you expect a discussion of 10.7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Libertarianism is the most entirely self-contradictory and absurd political philosophy that has ever been developed. Taken to its logical conclusions, it bears no difference from anarchy. Yet, it never follows its premises anywhere, but simply creates arbitrary categories of instances where the government ought to act, while, just as arbitrarily excluding others.

Essentially it's nothing more than cheap window dressing on a belief that the rich ought to be able to do as they damn well please and that the resources of society ought to be directed solely at preserving their wealth. Perversely, the selfish, childish and uncritical impulses of the not rich often drive them to adopt it, in name at least, as some sort of utopian ideal where life will be wonderful because they can live without any societal responsibilities.

That's a pretty far conclusion, and I wouldn't necessarily classify it as logical. There are many opportunities for the government to take a step back and rethink its strategies. I don't believe it's the libertarians looking for anarchy. I think the government over the years has done some good things, however since about the days of LBJ there have been some disastrous government programs introduced which have destroyed entire communities. I don't think there is anything wrong with people who want to go back and remove some of the stuff that's bad.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

It's a story about Steve Jobs visiting President Obama. Did you expect a discussion of 10.7?

I expected exactly what we got -- an unmoderated, bare-knuckles ideological brawl about everything in general and nothing in particular.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #86 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

... I think the government over the years has done some good things, however since about the days of LBJ there have been some disastrous government programs introduced which have destroyed entire communities. I don't think there is anything wrong with people who want to go back and remove some of the stuff that's bad.

You mean like gutting regulation of financial institutions? That's certainly destroyed entire communities, and more.

Or did you mean something like repeal of those pesky civil rights laws that have so increased the white man's burden?
post #87 of 123
Ron Paul recently said that people should be able to opt to pay 10% of their income and the government stay out of their lives. What exactly does that 10% do for you? How exactly does the government stay out of your life?

Does that mean you are no longer provided with police and fire services?

Do you get to continue to use the state funded highway system?

Does the government stop regulating the safety of your food and water?

His statements are so broad as to be meaningless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Libertarianism is the most entirely self-contradictory and absurd political philosophy that has ever been developed. Taken to its logical conclusions, it bears no difference from anarchy. Yet, it never follows its premises anywhere, but simply creates arbitrary categories of instances where the government ought to act, while, just as arbitrarily excluding others.
post #88 of 123
I believe the saying is: Teach a man to fish and you're out 2 bucks and fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can sell him a rod and reel, a fishing vest, waders, a funny hat, a boat, and get him to finance it all and ream him on the interest.
post #89 of 123
Reagan gutted federal social services programs just as AIDS and crack cocaine became rampant. He wanted government to get out of the way and let people take care of themselves. Crime rates soared and AIDS was free to spread without a coordinated effort to battle it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

however since about the days of LBJ there have been some disastrous government programs introduced which have destroyed entire communities. I don't think there is anything wrong with people who want to go back and remove some of the stuff that's bad.
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Everyone believes in redistribution of wealth. The difference is in which direction it ought to be redistributed. Republican economic policies favor redistribution from middle class and poor to the rich, and these policies have become much more actively aggressive over the past 30 years. Democratic policies tend to favor redistribution in the opposite direction.

As far as either approach supports the goal of a free, open and democratic society, it seems to me that one that tends to hinder the development of a moneyed aristocracy is the correct approach. So, while it's easy to complain about, "taking money away from those who have worked hard to make it," -- as though the poor and middle class are entirely a bunch of idlers who never put in a hard days work in their lives -- and to pretend that wealth isn't very much due to the accidents of circumstances (for every rich person who became rich because they had a "good idea" (defined in retrospect based on their success) and profited from it, there are at least a thousand people who had equally good ideas, worked hard and didn't succeed) the reality is that unless a society has a mechanism (or mechanisms) in place to hinder the development of hereditary wealth, the power that that wealth gives its possessors will ultimately undermine any democracy.

The question therefore, is not whether redistribution of wealth is right or wrong -- it will happen in one direction or the other in any case -- but which direction and degree of redistribution is best for maintaining a healthy democracy.

(And, as far as tax policy goes, a flat tax is utterly regressive and favors a redistribution of wealth from the poor and middle class to the rich. It's hard to imagine a less "fair" tax system, nor one which threatens the foundations of a democracy more, in and of itself. That doesn't mean our current tax system is the best of all possible systems, it just means that while emotionally appealing to some, a flat tax would be ultimately destructive of our society.)

My life is substantially better because of the free industry of Steve Jobs in the free country known as America. That is why I don't believe in the state mandated re-distribution of wealth that led to Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany.
post #91 of 123
I'm glad they are meeting, but I must admit that I found the title of the article hilarious.

"Apple's Steve Jobs"... like there is more than one prominent Steve Jobs that would be mentioned in an article from AppleInsider?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What is the great Steve Jobs doing meeting with that loser for? Apple is a very successful company, one of the biggest, and Obama is anti-business. If I were Steve, I'd rather spend a few hours visiting a horrible Microsoft Store instead of meeting with Obama.


I think Steve is a Democrat, which I still find very odd. Regardless, I buy Apple products for what they do for me, not what I do for them.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #93 of 123
He's right that every system redistributes wealth. The difference is in how this is accomplished.

I wouldn't count a successful society based on the number of wealthy people it has.I would count a successful society based on the health, happiness, and productivity of its people.

In some ways the US is great at this, in other ways we are falling behind.



Quote:
Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

My life is substantially better because of the free industry of Steve Jobs in the free country known as America. That is why I don't believe in the state mandated re-distribution of wealth that led to Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany.
post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

My life is substantially better because of the free industry of Steve Jobs in the free country known as America. That is why I don't believe in the state mandated re-distribution of wealth that led to Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany.

Umm... there are a lot of countries and political systems in-between, you know.... Some of them even have perfectly happy people living there....
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Libertarianism is the most entirely self-contradictory and absurd political philosophy that has ever been developed. Taken to its logical conclusions, it bears no difference from anarchy. Yet, it never follows its premises anywhere, but simply creates arbitrary categories of instances where the government ought to act, while, just as arbitrarily excluding others.

Essentially it's nothing more than cheap window dressing on a belief that the rich ought to be able to do as they damn well please and that the resources of society ought to be directed solely at preserving their wealth. Perversely, the selfish, childish and uncritical impulses of the not rich often drive them to adopt it, in name at least, as some sort of utopian ideal where life will be wonderful because they can live without any societal responsibilities.

Libertarianism is Libertarianism, anarchy is anarchy. They are different things, even though there are people who lean more anarchist than others. The point is, personal responsibility and self-governance are essential to full human potential... or no potential whatsoever, for that matter. Force is not necessary to shape human action. Human action simply IS.

Having said that, why has this thread devolved into an Obama bash? I've been scolded for derailing threads with lesser political commentary.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Umm... there are a lot of countries and political systems in-between, you know.... Some of them even have perfectly happy people living there....

It's people like you what cause unrest.
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

He's right that every system redistributes wealth. The difference is in how this is accomplished.

I wouldn't count a successful society based on the number of wealthy people it has.I would count a successful society based on the health, happiness, and productivity of its people.

In some ways the US is great at this, in other ways we are falling behind.

Every system does not redistribute wealth... just the one we're used to which takes by force.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Umm... there are a lot of countries and political systems in-between, you know.... Some of them even have perfectly happy people living there....

Absolutely there are, but I wanted to make myself very clear.
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You mean like gutting regulation of financial institutions? That's certainly destroyed entire communities, and more.

Or did you mean something like repeal of those pesky civil rights laws that have so increased the white man's burden?

Race card? Really? After I specifically mentioned I like Allen West? No response needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Reagan gutted federal social services programs just as AIDS and crack cocaine became rampant. He wanted government to get out of the way and let people take care of themselves. Crime rates soared and AIDS was free to spread without a coordinated effort to battle it.

Anything other problems from poor personal decisions you want to blame on Reagan? I'm sure we can figure out a way to blame him for poverty because of gambling addiction, or deaths from drunk driving...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Libertarianism is Libertarianism, anarchy is anarchy. They are different things, even though there are people who lean more anarchist than others. The point is, personal responsibility and self-governance are essential to full human potential... or no potential whatsoever, for that matter. Force is not necessary to shape human action. Human action simply IS. ...

I'm not sure that the above actually means anything when parsed for semantics, but, unfortunately, force is necessary to shape human action, if we wish to escape anarchy. You know, that whole, "Life without social contract is solitary, poor, nasty brutish and short," thing.

At least the anarchist libertarians are on philosophically consistent, if undesirable, ground. The rest of you need to explain why it's sound libertarian reasoning that we should be protected from foreign invaders and criminals in the streets, but not from companies who wish to harm us with unsafe products, poison our drinking water and food supplies, or maim and kill people by creating hazardous work conditions. After all, each of these things threatens my life and liberty as much as the others. And that's only the tip of the libertarian iceberg.
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Race card? Really? After I specifically mentioned I like Allen West? No response needed...

Oh, I see, you played the race innoculation card, so we can't go there. Whether it's true for you or not, whether people want to admit it or not, a large measure of the anti-government, anti-Obama feeling in this country has its basis in race issues.

But, perhaps you'd like to tell us exactly which are these harmful laws and policies enacted since LBJ that need to be repealed or rescinded.
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Oh, I see, you played the race innoculation card, so we can't go there. Whether it's true for you or not, whether people want to admit it or not, a large measure of the anti-government, anti-Obama feeling in this country has its basis in race issues.

But, perhaps you'd like to tell us exactly which are these harmful laws and policies enacted since LBJ that need to be repealed or rescinded.

After the last two years if that is what you believe I can't change your mind...

Given that I'll still toss a few softballs to you. How about the focus on how much water goes through my toilet whenever I flush it. How about the law which will soon dictate the type of lightbulbs I have in my house. How about other EPA regulations and endangered species acts which shut down an entire farming community because of a smelt.

I picked LBJ because that's about the time "the kid's" started taking over. Since you're pushing the race issue, it's also about the time that many once proud black communities self destructed with help from the federal government.

White and black people are both to blame for the problems then and now, democrats and republicans. Did your head just explode because I didn't go where you thought I was going with this?

We now have a president meeting with successful business people, for what? Photo opp, nothing more, nothing less. His stance on taxes and handouts isn't going to suddenly change. Nothing was gained from the last meeting with Steve and nothing will be gained from this meeting either.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

My life is substantially better because of the free industry of Steve Jobs in the free country known as America. That is why I don't believe in the state mandated re-distribution of wealth that led to Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany.

Quite a bit of government money went into making Silicon Valley what it is, the culture out of which the personal computer and the internet grew.
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

We now have a president meeting with successful business people, for what? Photo opp, nothing more, nothing less. His stance on taxes and handouts isn't going to suddenly change. Nothing was gained from the last meeting with Steve and nothing will be gained from this meeting either.

Yet you say you would like to be a fly on the wall for this meeting. Were you on the wall at the last meeting? Was it painful do be so diminished in size, but not in intellect?

Seriously, we might get a bit more information out of this meeting, because it's a four-way involving at least one who might talk afterward. I am thankful that we have a president with the intelligence to pursue the meaning of the transformation that's going on the knowledge industry. A refreshing change from the last one, who apparently wasn't even curious about 'the Google' and 'the internets.'

Edit: Just heard that Larry Ellison will be there, among others. The meeting is said to be about what business can do to invest in the U.S. for job expansion. Clearly just a photo op. What publicity-tramps these guys are.
post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I'm glad they are meeting, but I must admit that I found the title of the article hilarious.

"Apple's Steve Jobs"... like there is more than one prominent Steve Jobs that would be mentioned in an article from AppleInsider?

You wouldn't want anyone confusing Apple's Steve Jobs with that Stephen Jobs, 68, retired insurance salesman from Omaha, Nebraska who is sometimes mentioned on this site for no reason at all

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yet you say you would like to be a fly on the wall for this meeting. Were you on the wall at the last meeting? Was it painful do be so diminished in size, but not in intellect?

Seriously, we might get a bit more information out of this meeting, because it's a four-way involving at least one who might talk afterward. I am thankful that we have a president with the intelligence to pursue the meaning of the transformation that's going on the knowledge industry. A refreshing change from the last one, who apparently wasn't even curious about 'the Google' and 'the internets.'

Let me guess, you think you are an intellectual because you're able to make witty remarks?

You can keep living the pipe dream. From the babel you just spewed I'm going to also guess you have no idea yourself what this meeting is about. If the president had any interest in private business and how it all works he would have done it years ago before he became involved in politics. Now is not the time for on the job training...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

After the last two years if that is what you believe I can't change your mind...

You got the last phrase right.

Ultimately we've got a glass half empty, glass half full thing going on here. People who are basically pessimistic predominate in the right, and those who are optimistic on the left. I know this is an oversimplification but social and psychological studies have supported it. We might as well be trying to talk the stripes off a zebra as to discuss our way to common ground here.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

From the babel you just spewed I'm going to also guess you have no idea yourself what this meeting is about. If the president had any interest in private business and how it all works he would have done it years ago before he became involved in politics. Now is not the time for on the job training...

You are so wonderfully contradictory. In the same sentence you accuse your co-poster of not knowing what is going on in the meeting you imply that you do! I promise to quit babbling now even if the subject turns to Babel. Peace out.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #109 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

After the last two years if that is what you believe I can't change your mind...

Given that I'll still toss a few softballs to you. How about the focus on how much water goes through my toilet whenever I flush it. How about the law which will soon dictate the type of lightbulbs I have in my house. How about other EPA regulations and endangered species acts which shut down an entire farming community because of a smelt.

I picked LBJ because that's about the time "the kid's" started taking over. Since you're pushing the race issue, it's also about the time that many once proud black communities self destructed with help from the federal government.

White and black people are both to blame for the problems then and now, democrats and republicans. Did your head just explode because I didn't go where you thought I was going with this? ...

No, your response is pretty typical. You don't care about clean water, global warming or biodiversity, most likely because you choose to deny they are real issues so it won't get in the way of how you want to live, or because you think they are problems that will be visited on someone else, so why should you care.

And, although it's convenient to blame poverty and it's attendant problems on the "Welfare State", there's little or no hard evidence to prove that causation. What you're doing is looking at a period of great change in all parts of American society and picking the ones you don't like as the cause of today's problems. You're also looking back over a period where for most of that time, the income gap between rich and poor has steadily widened. There are no golden days that we can turn back the clock to and magically reach paradise by simply undoing what's been done. That's the sort of simplistic thinking that leads to things like our recent financial meltdown.

But, speaking of golden days and LBJ, maybe we should go back a little further. I'd like to see us return to Eisenhower era tax rates, things were certainly good then, weren't they?
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quite a bit of government money went into making Silicon Valley what it is, the culture out of which the personal computer and the internet grew.

I'm not saying Government is a bad thing - I'm saying giving government unlimited powers over your wealth is.

The OP wasn't advocating anything close to what you or any of the others are talking about.

He is advocating the confiscation of inherited wealth. In a few generations it would put all past, present and future wealth, all companies, all property, all product into the ownership of the government. Hence my original quote.

If you thought communism died when the Berlin wall collapsed - think again!
post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, your response is pretty typical. You don't care about clean water, global warming or biodiversity, most likely because you choose to deny they are real issues so it won't get in the way of how you want to live, or because you think they are problems that will be visited on someone else, so why should you care.

And, although it's convenient to blame poverty and it's attendant problems on the "Welfare State", there's little or no hard evidence to prove that causation. What you're doing is looking at a period of great change in all parts of American society and picking the ones you don't like as the cause of today's problems. You're also looking back over a period where for most of that time, the income gap between rich and poor has steadily widened. There are no golden days that we can turn back the clock to and magically reach paradise by simply undoing what's been done. That's the sort of simplistic thinking that leads to things like our recent financial meltdown.

But, speaking of golden days and LBJ, maybe we should go back a little further. I'd like to see us return to Eisenhower era tax rates, things were certainly good then, weren't they?

So the fact that I am also an avid scuba diver means that I love diving in filthy water? The fact that the last two winters have been the coldest in recent years confirms the globe is warming? If some one doesn't agree with you then it is they who must change. Unlike you I look at the good in people and times and strive to bring them back.

You see nothing but the bad and think that everything can be controlled or dictated in to being fixed. It doesn't work like that. There are natural cycles in business and life. My beef is with those who deny the cycles or react the opposite as to how they should when they do occur thinking that they know best.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Yes, but then Ballmer really should be there too, shouldn't he? I hear the xbox finally sells well, and is built there too, right?

Hmmmm? I don't recall mentioning a CEO's single name in my post.

Answer: No
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

The fact that the last two winters have been the coldest in recent years confirms the globe is warming?.

In the lower Himalayas it has been the warmest in recent years. Global warming is a misnomer. The more accurate description is climate change. Some areas that were colder are getting warmer, and those that were warmer are getting colder. Just depends on where you live (go) what you perceive. But average for the entire earth is a warming trend.

The vast majority of respected scientists with expertise in this area agree it is happening. A few outliers say otherwise. It's always that way. Same with evolution. Willful ignorance is very common.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

So the fact that I am also an avid scuba diver means that I love diving in filthy water? The fact that the last two winters have been the coldest in recent years confirms the globe is warming? If some one doesn't agree with you then it is they who must change. Unlike you I look at the good in people and times and strive to bring them back.

You see nothing but the bad and think that everything can be controlled or dictated in to being fixed. It doesn't work like that. There are natural cycles in business and life. My beef is with those who deny the cycles or react the opposite as to how they should when they do occur thinking that they know best.

I'm sure you convince yourself that the water is clean, just like you've convinced yourself that it's been cold where you live so climate change isn't a problem. You see what you want to see, what makes you feel comfortable with your choices.
post #115 of 123
Here's how the meeting will go:

CEOs: Give us more money! Cut our Taxes!

Obama: OK!
post #116 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Willful ignorance is very common.

I believe this ties in with what you were saying about pessimism. The conservative mindset generally looks backward toward what used to be certainties, but which have been obsolesced by newer knowledge and social mores. They thus cut themselves off from interest in the future, or even in present realities. The more progress they see around them, the more they fear the future and dig in against knowledge.

President Obama is meeting with people who have no problem with the future; in fact they are inventing it. (Thanks, Alan Kay.)

It is very simple.
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and Islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" Osama - I mean Obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in America. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving America? Nothing. And the middle class, of course Obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the US has grown stratospherically. Its all Obama! Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.

You've gotten so used to the darkness, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you - but- it's still there!!
post #118 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Here's how the meeting will go:

CEOs: Give us more money! Cut our Taxes!

Obama: OK!

You forgot this part:

Obama: Now make a donation to my re-election campaign!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Willful ignorance is very common.

holy crap, this is the best quote I've heard in years!

Do you mind if I put this quotation with your name on my facebook!?
post #120 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In the lower Himalayas it has been the warmest in recent years. Global warming is a misnomer. The more accurate description is climate change.

The vast majority of respected scientists with expertise in this area agree it is happening. A few outliers say otherwise. It's always that way. Same with evolution. Willful ignorance is very common.

Climate change is a misnomer. The general public use to call it "the weather". And it changes from time to time. Don't believe me? Instead of having complete faith in a few scientists, who have been exposed recently I might add, why don't you research the ice age. It is very easy and sometimes convenient to pick a specific point in time and say this is the reference point. Enough jumping around though. I went from making a joke about Steve visiting Obama to have race discussions and explain about global warming. It was fun but I gotta get back to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm sure you convince yourself that the water is clean, just like you've convinced yourself that it's been cold where you live so climate change isn't a problem. You see what you want to see, what makes you feel comfortable with your choices.

I've spent some time traveling the world, maybe not as much as others here, but I've seen good and bad environmental conditions. Again, I'm done talking about pollution and anything else that may pop up other than Obama's photo opp/campaign donation meeting...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday