or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone

NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone

post #1 of 30
In contrast to published reports suggesting Apple plans to release a smaller version of the iPhone this summer, sources have told The New York Times that Apple is not developing a smaller handset, though the company has looked into a cheaper version of the device.

Earlier reports claimed Apple had already developed a prototype version of a smaller, cheaper iPhone. According to Bloomberg, the prototype was one-third smaller than the current-generation iPhone 4. The Wall Street Journal cited sources who described the device as "about half the size of iPhone 4."

However, the Times is now claiming that "Apple is not currently developing a smaller iPhone, according to people briefed on Apple's plans who requested anonymity because the plans are confidential."

According to one source, Apple engineers are hard at work finishing the next-generation iPhone, "which is likely to be similar in size to the current iPhone 4."

Another source also confirmed that Apple is not currently planning a smaller iPhone partly because "a smaller device would not necessarily be much cheaper to manufacture and because it would be more difficult to operate." Also, Apple wants to avoid forcing developers to rewrite their apps, said the source, who is in direct contact with Apple.

The Times cited a senior Apple executive who said during a private meeting that making multiple iPhone models wouldn't make sense for the company, though the executive did note that the iPhone maker will continue its practice of offering older models at a discounted price.

The report did, however, corroborate details from prior reports regarding the next iPhone. Earlier this week, the Journal asserted that Apple was working on enhanced MobileMe services and improved "voice navigation."

A person with knowledge of Apple's plans told the Times that Apple hopes to improve operation of the device through voice commands because some users dislike using a virtual keyboard.

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything, the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines.

As physical storage on the iPhone becomes less critical, Apple could reduce storage in the device, thereby lowering costs. Although the innards of the phone, including memory size or camera quality, could change to offer a less expensive model, the size of the device would not vary, said a person, who has worked on multiple versions of the iPhone.

According to the Times' sources, rumors that a smaller iPhone carries the code name N97 are false. "Several people with knowledge of Apples plans said that N97 was the code name for the Verizon iPhone 4, which was introduced this month," the report read.

According to analysts, a cheaper iPhone, especially one that does not require carrier subsidies, is critical to Apple's continued growth overseas. If they are going to be a player in the global market they have to have a prepaid option, said Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. Sanford C. Bernstein & Company analyst A. M. Sacconaghi Jr., said that a more affordable iPhone could drive as much as a sixfold increase in sales for Apple.
post #2 of 30
Meh. It's all smoke and click baiting until it isn't.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 30
Exactly. Many here (incl moi ) predicted it.
post #4 of 30
Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything, the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines

I'm getting my first iMac this summer when the new platforms are released. Can't wait for the 27". I have been going back and forth on should i get MobileMe. I understood that the current MobileMe did the bolded statements above. I was SOLD on it. Now not so sure.
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything, the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on ....

MobileMe? Brain? Ugh. I'll believe it when I see it.
post #6 of 30
Damn, all that Photoshop for nothing.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 30
Now, the question to be answered is will the new iPhone get a larger display with the same resolution (without increasing in size of the phone).
post #8 of 30
But, I bet we get that slideout keyboard....... NOT
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

But, I bet we get that slideout keyboard....... NOT

They should have saved that for April 1st!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #10 of 30
I don't believe the New York Times, when the Wall Street journal say something about a future product from Apple they got 100% right for so many years in the past.

So we will have a smaller iPhone. Maybe only an iPod Phone, phone, iPod and mobile me in the cloud, that's it.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleConvertNJRob View Post

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything, the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines

I'm getting my first iMac this summer when the new platforms are released. Can't wait for the 27". I have been going back and forth on should i get MobileMe. I understood that the current MobileMe did the bolded statements above. I was SOLD on it. Now not so sure.

Nice that they are following the google model!

Also, Apple wants to avoid forcing developers to rewrite their apps, said the source, who is in direct contact with Apple.

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time. This suggests that the new release will have basically "no major changes", or it's going to be basically the same phone with maybe some software enhancements. What was that nav company they bought? I'll bet there's private jet flight plans (usually public knowledge mineable) over there unless they are in driving distance.

I'd predict for the next ip:

1. Multitasking like Android
2. Nav for free, like Android does
3. Updated Apple interface into the google maps api, like android offers
4. Voice to txt like android
5. Battery life that's legit, like moto android devices
6. ???????
7. Profit
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Also, Apple wants to avoid forcing developers to rewrite their apps, said the source, who is in direct contact with Apple.

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time. This suggests that the new release will have basically "no major changes", or it's going to be basically the same phone with maybe some software enhancements. What was that nav company they bought? I'll bet there's private jet flight plans (usually public knowledge mineable) over there unless they are in driving distance.

6. ???????
7. Profit

I'd almost fell sorry for you but only if your stupidity was caused by a birth defect...
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I'd almost fell sorry for you but only if your stupidity was caused by a birth defect...

Crazy isn't he? Google envy? No way.

Analysts are crazy too. They seem to think market share is everything. I like profit over marketshare.
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I feel sorry for you.
post #15 of 30
Quote:

6. ???????
7. Profit

1 (although I think Apple got it right), 2 and 4 I'd go for but you really screwed up with 5. Thank you for playing.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post

I don't believe the New York Times, when the Wall Street journal say something about a future product from Apple they got 100% right for so many years in the past.

So we will have a smaller iPhone. Maybe only an iPod Phone, phone, iPod and mobile me in the cloud, that's it.

If it's thinner, than it's smaller without reducing the screen size. The original reports never said 'smaller screen' and NYT reporting Apple is not working on a smaller screen iPhone doesn't mean that they aren't working on a thinner model with the same screen size.
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleConvertNJRob View Post

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. “The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,” the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines

You can try it free for 60 days and see if it suits you. I love MobileMe. Currently, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks sync. Push email works great. Photos don't really sync but you can upload them to MobileMe easily and there is a nice app to view your albums. You can set the iphone and ipad to use the app (instead of safari) to view MobileMe photos and albums.

My guess is that apple adds additional syncing (photos? iTunes?). As it stands, I hardly ever connect my iphone or ipad to my mac. That's all due to MobileMe. If they make the service free, they may differentiate it from a premium paid account by how much space you get on iDisk. And they would probably make iDisk more dropbox-like as well. Just guessing though.

Frankly, this makes a lot more sense than that crazy iPhone pic circulating. People will believe just about anything.
post #18 of 30
Quote:

. . . .

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time. . . .

6. ???????
7. Profit

1). Apple did multitasking better. Why? Because it actually took its time and thought about it. Google rushed it out the door. Not saying Google screwed it completely up or anything, just generally speaking most experts agree Apple did it better. Here is a PCWorld article that talks about the differences.

2) Apple does have free turn by turn navigation. Apple doesn't provide it directly, but MapQuest's application is free, and voice turn by turn works great and is free. Apple's native map applications doesn't have voice turn by turn navigation because Apple made the mistake of relying on Google, which for competitive reasons is withholding that feature. Doesn't matter, as Map Quest's application works great.

3) Well that might be nice. However, Apple probably will have to dump Google first to improve its mapping software. That is because Google is not allowing Apple to provide the APIs you suggest. Funny really, since Google threw a hissy fit when Apple threatened to not allow its advertisements on the iPhone. That is alright, Apple did buy a mapping company that offered more innovative mapping then Google does. I am sure something is in the works.

4. Not even sure what you mean there, as you can do that on the iPhone now.

5. LOL. Seriously, Apple's battery management software is first rate.

What does 6 and 7 mean?

Further, if you mean developers had to increase the resolution of their applications if they wanted to benefit from the iPhone's retina display then yes I suppose they had to do some tinkering with their applications. Many didn't, and all the applications work fine. Enlighten us and show us where developers in mass had to rewrite their applications.
post #19 of 30
"NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone"

Well THAT headline won't sell any papers! No wonder they're going under.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If it's thinner, than it's smaller without reducing the screen size. The original reports never said 'smaller screen' and NYT reporting Apple is not working on a smaller screen iPhone doesn't mean that they aren't working on a thinner model with the same screen size.

"The WSJ article said "The new device would be about half the size of the iPhone 4, which is the current model." To me the phrase 'half the size' implies a dimension other than thickness, but I could be wrong. It could certainly mean that the screen size would remain the same, by removing the home button and shrinking the bezel in order to reduce the height and width, for example.
post #21 of 30
Quote:

6. ???????
7. Profit

I'm pretty sure you have prediction number 7 correct.
post #22 of 30
Quote:

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time.

That's the most ridiculous FUD I've ever read. I have iPhone apps that haven't been updated in three years and still run perfectly well on my iPhone 4 (and on my iPad, in windowed mode).

Most newly released iOS games will still work on the three-year-old iPhone 3G, and if they don't it's only because they require graphics hardware features like shaders that didn't exist back then.

By comparison, many new Android games won't even run on half of current generation of devices, let alone previous or future handsets.
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
post #23 of 30
Apple doesn't worry so much about generating raw volume. Certainly if it can meet it's design goals and sell products in volume, great. But to make a product strictly because by doing so volume is achieved is not what Apple is all about.

The key to this company's success is that people hold the Apple brand in high regard. I don't think Apple sees much opportunity to stand out making a low-cost phone. As such, don't expect it to.

Keep in mind that with Jobs' health deteriorating, there is likely to be great concern with maintaining regard for the Apple brand because any diminishing of that name coinciding with Jobs perceived to be no longer in charge could be catastrophic for the company's share price. The perception has to be that if Jobs is no longer calling the shots - when that happens - Apple hasn't lost its mojo, so to speak.

Forget more volume. The iPhone is an unqualified success, selling in the millions. Building a low-cost phone would be roughly equivalent to Apple making a netbook.
post #24 of 30
Munster should apply for the position of Apple CEO and Sacconaghi for CTO. I'm sure they would lead the company to a six-fold increase in iPhone sales.

But...nah...why would they settle for all that responsibility when they can run the company from their analyst's desk.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

And reducing the bezel to almost nothing will also reduce the size substantially.
Use last years parts, new super integrated functionality cheaper (but maybe better: say liquid metal) casing and the price will drop substantially too.
It could also be that the new iPhone uses the same bezel less design to increase the screen size.

J.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Forget more volume. The iPhone is an unqualified success, selling in the millions. Building a low-cost phone would be roughly equivalent to Apple making a netbook.

Not if they do it right. Like they did with iPod nano etc.

J.
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I'm pretty sure you have prediction number 7 correct.

Got that right.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 30
I just don't see the point of a smaller phone. Or a cheaper phone for that matter. Apple's never chased marketshare. Why would they start now?
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post

How many years did WSJ say that the Verizon iPhone was imminent.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #30 of 30
It was never going to happen. I can't believe how many people actually bought into this.
My iPhone Uses SmartPhone Wallpaper
My iPhone Uses SmartPhone Wallpaper
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone