or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Official Hypocrisy Thread

Official Hypocrisy Thread

post #1 of 6
This is the thread for breathtaking acts of hypocrisy that are so blatant they are hilariously funny. I'll go first.

Geert Wilders launched a Crusade against Muslims when they complained about the cartoons of the Prophet. He said it was 'Western Values'. He said it was 'Free Speech'.

Well now someone has done an offensive cartoon of him - because he has called for special villages and camps to be set up to house 'scum' (I don't think he means himself but I guess Muslims would figure quite highly) - and he is not a happy bunny.

Here's the cartoon:

Here's his original comments:

Quote:
Troublemakers should be kept away from the rest of the population in special scum villages, Geert Wilders, leader of the anti-Islam PVV says in an interview with the Telegraaf on Thursday.

Repeat offenders should be forcibly removed from their neighbourhood and sent to a village for scum, Wilders said. They will then be put into converted containers as homes. If juveniles are involved, their families should be moved too. Put all the trash together.

Link

And here's his reaction to the cartoon:

Quote:
Mr Wilders said on Saturday it was a disgusting cartoon. It must be removed from that website immediately, or the PVV will not attend the VARA provincial elections debate scheduled for next Wednesday." Mr Wilders spoke of sick minds at the VARA.

Link

Hilarious!

Any more examples of equivalent hypocrisy?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 6
Imperfect comparison there. Wilders is not calling for anyones death or demanding the government suppress free speech. He's simply exercising his right not to participate in a meeting unless the cartoon is removed.

The fact that you can't see the difference tells me all I need to know.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Imperfect comparison there. Wilders is not calling for anyones death or demanding the government suppress free speech. He's simply exercising his right not to participate in a meeting unless the cartoon is removed.

The fact that you can't see the difference tells me all I need to know.

Are you contributing this as an example of your own hypocrisy? I don't think it will work...you've always followed the extreme-right agenda and parroted it without thought....you've never expressed anything contrary to that so you don't qualify I'm afraid.

Btw: I know you never like to back up your points but in the light of my sentence above could you please provide references where:

a) Muslims demanded the government (which one?) suppress free speech

b) Why you think Wilders is 'simply exercising his right' when he has clearly called for the cartoon to be removed. Do you deny this?

c) If you do deny it then conversation over as you've sunk beyond the entry requirements for a conversation if you don't then how is this not suppressing free speech?

I don't expect you to answer but that - and the fact you seem to support and defend Wilders - tells ME all I need to know.

Only I'd rather I didn't if you catch my drift.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

b) Why you think Wilders is 'simply exercising his right' when he has clearly called for the cartoon to be removed.

I think what he's saying here is that this Wilders fellow is within his rights to request (or "demand") something, but that doesn't mean he has a right to actually forcibly achieve compliance with his requests from another party. He's even within his rights to set conditions under which he (or whatever organization he seems to control, e.g., the PVV) will participate in some event (e.g., the VARA provincial elections debate). But he has no right to actually actually force compliance with his conditions. That is to say, VARA is (or should be) free and within their rights to not comply with his request (or "demand") or conditions.

That's how I took it.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I think what he's saying here is that this Wilders fellow is within his rights to request (or "demand") something, but that doesn't mean he has a right to actually forcibly achieve compliance with his requests from another party. He's even within his rights to set conditions under which he (or whatever organization he seems to control, e.g., the PVV) will participate in some event (e.g., the VARA provincial elections debate). But he has no right to actually actually force compliance with his conditions. That is to say, VARA is (or should be) free and within their rights to not comply with his request (or "demand") or conditions.

That's how I took it.

Ok...let's assess that in terms of hypocrisy:

Muslims complain about cartoons of Prophet. His argument then was that the cartoons SHOULD BE PUBLISHED as this was the Western way of Free Speech. Muslims were/are free to disagree or dislike but this is how it is.

Wilders complains about cartoons showing him to be the Nazi he is. Should he not also support the right of the paper to publish?

Why is he not saying "you're free to publish but I disagree" like he claimed Muslims should do?

It's actually nothing to do with the reaction of the people - calling for4 killings or whatever - it is to do with the initial principle and why it applies to Muslims but not to Wilders.

Is this or is this not hypocrisy?
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Ok...let's assess that in terms of hypocrisy:

Muslims complain about cartoons of Prophet. His argument then was that the cartoons SHOULD BE PUBLISHED as this was the Western way of Free Speech. Muslims were/are free to disagree or dislike but this is how it is.

Wilders complains about cartoons showing him to be the Nazi he is. Should he not also support the right of the paper to publish?

Why is he not saying "you're free to publish but I disagree" like he claimed Muslims should do?

It's actually nothing to do with the reaction of the people - calling for4 killings or whatever - it is to do with the initial principle and why it applies to Muslims but not to Wilders.

Is this or is this not hypocrisy?

I think it is, yes.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Official Hypocrisy Thread