or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama

Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama - Page 4

post #121 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Hmm, where have I seen this before?!

Ah yes...

You are my hero.

Maybe two years ago he could have held down Cloud City, but now he's the least powerful guy at the table, and trying to surround himself with the successful, while he flounders.

Maybe I'm being too harsh...

"Under water grottos, caverns
Filled with apes
That eat figs.
Stepping on the figs
That the apes
Eat, they crunch."

Perhaps Darth Remedial is his true sith name?
post #122 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

Actually, Steve Ballmer was visiting France on thursday and met french President.

"French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, has awarded Steve Ballmer the Legion D'Honneur, (a knightly order originated by Napoleon) for Microsoft's impact on French economy".

Our president is again betting on the wrong horse and embarrassing himself with his usually poor knowledge of tech matters. After a few words, he declared that the company was personifying the values of France and Europe A country in a bad shape, with no major tech innovation to promote, living on its former glory and leaded by someone lacking a clear vision yeah, he nailed it!

At least Obama got the top movers and shakers in tech

Oh dear, that is bleak. From over here in the US it seems the French are really fond of American buffoons (e.g. Jerry Lewis, Steve Ballmer, Homer Simpson). Is this true or is it a distorted stereotype?
post #123 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oh dear, that is bleak. From over here in the US it seems the French are really fond of American buffoons (e.g. Jerry Lewis, Steve Ballmer, Homer Simpson). Is this true or is it a distorted stereotype?

Fond of ? No.

Nobody knows Steve Ballmer ; Homer Simpson, well it's a fictional character, but he's funny. Not sure what you want to say by putting him in your list.

Jerry Lewis, I'm not sure anyone knows him either.
post #124 of 177
the second NE pic showed Steve's hand, which appeared to be bent at the knuckles. I looked closely at the Obama pic.>> his left thumb is cocked at a weird angle..looks like he does have a flexion contracture, probably a Dupuytren's contracture, quite possibly related to his pancreatic neoplasm..a relatively benign sign, not anything worse...
post #125 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yeah, also Paul Otellini (Intel) and John Chambers (Cisco) are missing, although I think Chambers is a registered Republican.

The non-executive HP Chairman Ray Lane is another notable MIA. Also, no Narayen from Adobe, even though his company is twice as large as Netflix.

Paul Otellini (Intel) was up in Oregon, preparing for Obama's visit.

The whole shindig was carefully orchestrated to show Obama is friendly toward tech, and his announcement today in Oregon of Otelini as head of a "Jobs Council" was his "proof" that he is serious about......(drum roll, something we have never heard before)....JOBS, JOBS, JOBS (not just Steve, of course).

"We'll see", said the blind man.
post #126 of 177
...that's the important thing.

He is not on a death bed hooked on a dozen tubes.

Obviously he is not healthy, but this is definitely good news.
post #127 of 177
[QUOTE=rbonner;1811300]Love the black turtle neck.

Wonder if he was in his jeans?
post #128 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except that there are two different kinds of pancreatic cancer that are entirely different from each other in severity and consequence as well as survivability.

Steve Jobs has the very rare one with the much longer survival rate. Odds are (just speaking statistics here) that your father had the much more common one.

I'm not saying he won't drop dead tomorrow, but he could just as easily live for a decade or two. We just don't know, and it's none of our business anyway.

You are talking about something that you know nothing about... Believe me that when someone in your family gets sick you become very well informed, very quickly on the topic...
post #129 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

... Would love to know the inside reason for slighting the CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world, particularly since they were instrumental in the birth of silly valley.

This is true of the HP of yore. However, I feel that the leadership at HP made two big mistakes long ago and not so long ago:

(1) They ignored the birth of personal computing until too late. By that I mean, HP could today have owned personal computing as an Apple+Microsoft class corporation. They had the knowhow in software and hardware engineering that in its day was second to none. HP today, building computers to run another company's OS, is just too sad.

(2) They carved off that aspect of their operation that was pure class - Agilent. That is where the true HP is to be found, providing technical leadership and engineering excellence. What is now Agilent gave HP true class.

So, Microsoft is missing, HP is missing, perhaps that is an information age, technical leadership thing.

All the best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #130 of 177
Quote:

Zuckerberg and Doerr are patients of mine, and I know Schmidt from when he was taking pilot training. Zuckerberg was a bit introverted, and we did not discuss anything to do with Facebook - couldn't judge his personality very deeply. Doerr, on the other hand, was intelligent, social, and engaging, and figured out some of the technicalities of my profession (Optometry) while I was doing the testing - blew me away.

Wow, Dr. Baggett. Time to review the HIPAA Privacy Rule, I think!

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...ies/index.html
post #131 of 177
Maybe he's concerned -- Ron Paul looks like Obama's main competition!:

"Election 2012: Barack Obama 42%, Ron Paul 41%

Pit maverick Republican Congressman Ron Paul against President Obama in a hypothetical 2012 election match-up, and the race is – virtually dead even."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...42_ron_paul_41

http://www.lewrockwell.com/pr/rasmus...-vs-obama.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

You are my hero.

Maybe two years ago he could have held down Cloud City, but now he's the least powerful guy at the table, and trying to surround himself with the successful, while he flounders.

Maybe I'm being too harsh...

"Under water grottos, caverns
Filled with apes
That eat figs.
Stepping on the figs
That the apes
Eat, they crunch."

Perhaps Darth Remedial is his true sith name?
post #132 of 177
The good news? Steve's vertical and can attend such a function. This should quiet the death's-door rumors.

The bad news? He still looks like Jack from "The Nightmare Before Christmas". \
post #133 of 177
Quote:

Maybe he's concerned -- Ron Paul looks like Obama's main competition!:

"Election 2012: Barack Obama 42%, Ron Paul 41%

Pit maverick Republican Congressman Ron Paul against President Obama in a hypothetical 2012 election match-up, and the race is virtually dead even."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...42_ron_paul_41

http://www.lewrockwell.com/pr/rasmus...-vs-obama.html

Boy, wouldn't that be great? As it is, I think Romneybot is the next one "blessed" by the GOP... and he'll lose like crazy going up against Obama. The run of the mill Republican is essentially no different than Obama, save for a regressive religious view.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #134 of 177
Interesting lighting, looks like he invited his guests to dinner on a photo-shoot set.
Meanwhile Steve looks around the table and thinks "I will crush you all."
post #135 of 177
Why does this picture look like a meeting of evil overlords conjuring plans to take over the world.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #136 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Well, the people who might like to level such a criticism are the same ones promoting the fiction that Obama hates business/industry. They can't have it both ways.

Judging by the group having dinner, saying he hates consumers would be more accurate. Given the Obama administration's complete failure to do anything significant in regards to technology it is odd the dinner is happening at all.

I am guessing the reason they arranged the dinner was because it was the only way "Obama" and "Jobs" could be mentioned in a single story and have it be positive.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #137 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

He would look right in a suit the way the Dalai Lama would look right in a suit.

But seriously, it was a pretty casual event, even the President was in shirtsleeves. Steak dinner, not a State dinner.

Nice.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #138 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb View Post

Wow, Dr. Baggett. Time to review the HIPAA Privacy Rule, I think!

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...ies/index.html

Nothing about patient/doctor confidentiality was revealed, only my observations on their personalities after exams were completed. I'm well aware of confidentiality issues.
post #139 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

From memory he's a staunch republican. Obama trying to get money from Ballmer would be like getting blood from a stone.
post #140 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

Where is Steve Balmer? Is Microsoft off the face of the earth? No jobs or innovation there?

I posted this in another thread, but this is pretty funny, I'm surprised we haven't heard more of Ballmer's absence.
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/obama_meeting
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #141 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I posted this in another thread, but this is pretty funny, I'm surprised we haven't heard more of Ballmer's absence.
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/obama_meeting

Given that it's a Silicon Valley meeting and Microsoft's in Redmond...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #142 of 177
seems to me most of the biggies were in attendance, it would seem a no brainer Ballmer would be there, but, I guess not.

I've always thought microsoft would pick up the ball, when I saw win7 mobile I thought wow, they have something here pretty cool. But, everything just seems, flat. flatline. It's amazing.
post #143 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Gizmodo hired a plane? Stalker much?

Doesn't shock me. Remember these are the folks at publicly announced they would reward fiolks for violating contracts and NDAs re: Apple's tablet project. And then had a reporter publicly confess to violating Cali law and buying for a felony price what under said laws is stolen property. Rumor has it they outraged a lot of companies with that stunt and it is not just Apple that let the in the party and more

As for the whole Steve thing. Obama is big with talk of supporting tech, so a little kissing up to these guys makes sense. After all if he want computers, iPads etc in all classrooms and broadband everywhere, he'll need guys like this to help and to be willing to take a loss in profits to make it happen. Cause the taxpayers won't want to fund it which is a major reason why he hasn't actually gotten anything done.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #144 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Yep. I'm your only fan.

You and Kathy Bates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Why does this picture look like a meeting of evil overlords conjuring plans to take over the world.

Let's expand. ->luminaries->NWO.
post #145 of 177
If _I_ ran the Secret Service, I would certainly think twice about inviting a chair-throwing goon.
post #146 of 177
Republicans, Democrats -- most all the same wanting bigger government. No real difference except the few libertarian-leaning exceptions like Rand Paul, Ron Paul, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

From memory he's a staunch republican. Obama trying to get money from Ballmer would be like getting blood from a stone.
post #147 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

OK, I'll say it. Of all the people at the table, I'd guess Obama makes the lowest salary.

And you'd be guessing wrong; Jobs' salary is $1.
post #148 of 177
Quote:

Republicans, Democrats -- most all the same wanting bigger government. No real difference except the few libertarian-leaning exceptions like Rand Paul, Ron Paul, etc.

Stop with the ``libertarian leaning'' crap. The US Libertarian movement doesn't remotely resemble its older European roots. The libertarian leaning isn't even a poor man's US Libertarian Movement which changes it's stripes every year. Ron and Rand are pandering to a fantasy where markets are self-regulating for the common good--a fallacy proven throughout the history of humanity.

The Tea Party is a joke. It's populated by a contingency of overly simple-minded folk with good intentions [in some areas] that haven't a clue how complex a 310 Million+ population requires to run just services let alone to make it run efficiently for All.

Shouting about returning to the good ol' days where indentured servitude and cheap labor as if they will benefit from this small government speaks volumes to the overall ignorance.

People need to get this through their heads: MANKIND IS NOT, IN GENERAL, A DECENT AND COMPASSIONATE SPECIES.

It's a self-serving, narcissistic species--a virus.

Government is the Immune System. When it's unhealthy the virus pounces. When it's healthy the disease fights doubly hard to destroy it.
post #149 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

If the purpose of the meeting was to discuss a tax holiday for transferring money earned in other countries to banks in the US - then it is obvious why Ballmer is not there - Microsoft has no foreign profits as a result of rampant pirating - and that is a separate meeting.
post #150 of 177
Quote:

Zuckerberg and Doerr are patients of mine, and I know Schmidt from when he was taking pilot training. Zuckerberg was a bit introverted, and we did not discuss anything to do with Facebook - couldn't judge his personality very deeply. Doerr, on the other hand, was intelligent, social, and engaging, and figured out some of the technicalities of my profession (Optometry) while I was doing the testing - blew me away.

Individually identifiable health information, including demographic data (e.g. a person's name), collected during the provision of healthcare is protected health information as far as HIPAA is concerned.

Anyone have the number for the CA Board of Optometry?
post #151 of 177
The Tea Party is partly a joke, based on some of their votes for the Constitution-destroying ill-named "Patriot Act" extension vote. Again, there are a few good ones, see:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/fr...iotAct2011.pdf

By downplaying the libertarian movement, you would rather see yet greater tyranny by the transfer-payment loving government welfare queens? Big government ALWAYS MEANS LESS FREEDOM, taxation is legalized theft -- it should therefore be minimized. If you don't understand THAT from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Also, do you realize that a minimum wage CREATES unemployment?! It does, but that is basic economics, most Americans never learn -- another reason government has failed in education -- just look at American's education scoring Vs. the rest of the world!

MORE government regulation simply stifles innovation and small business owners who have some great ideas.

If you want to know what the REAL Tea Party is, it is libertarian and for principled SMALLER GOVERNMENT, see: http://campaignforliberty.com

The libertarian philosophy is principled, NOT "overly simple-minded" -- you sir are simply misinformed.

Since you say "MANKIND IS NOT, IN GENERAL, A DECENT AND COMPASSIONATE SPECIES" -- why on earth would you want to concentrate the power of theft and tyranny in government -- that is just asking for unconstitutional dictators.

Anyone who thinks government can produce jobs -- I have a bridge to sell them in London. Government NEVER produces wealth, it ONLY CONSUMES WEALTH.

If you want to learn more about why liberty is good for We The People, start reading Reason:
http://reason.com/

and Liberty:
http://www.libertyunbound.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Stop with the ``libertarian leaning'' crap. The US Libertarian movement doesn't remotely resemble its older European roots. The libertarian leaning isn't even a poor man's US Libertarian Movement which changes it's stripes every year. Ron and Rand are pandering to a fantasy where markets are self-regulating for the common good--a fallacy proven throughout the history of humanity.

The Tea Party is a joke. It's populated by a contingency of overly simple-minded folk with good intentions [in some areas] that haven't a clue how complex a 310 Million+ population requires to run just services let alone to make it run efficiently for All.

Shouting about returning to the good ol' days where indentured servitude and cheap labor as if they will benefit from this small government speaks volumes to the overall ignorance.

People need to get this through their heads: MANKIND IS NOT, IN GENERAL, A DECENT AND COMPASSIONATE SPECIES.

Government is the Immune System. When it's unhealthy the virus pounces. When it's healthy the disease fights doubly hard to destroy it.
post #152 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Doesn't shock me. Remember these are the folks at publicly announced they would reward fiolks for violating contracts and NDAs re: Apple's tablet project. And then had a reporter publicly confess to violating Cali law and buying for a felony price what under said laws is stolen property. Rumor has it they outraged a lot of companies with that stunt and it is not just Apple that let the in the party and more

As for the whole Steve thing. Obama is big with talk of supporting tech, so a little kissing up to these guys makes sense. After all if he want computers, iPads etc in all classrooms and broadband everywhere, he'll need guys like this to help and to be willing to take a loss in profits to make it happen. Cause the taxpayers won't want to fund it which is a major reason why he hasn't actually gotten anything done.

Gizmodo did not hire the plane. The photographer had a copyrighted credit line for another site.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #153 of 177
Quote:

The Tea Party is partly a joke, based on some of their votes for the Constitution-destroying ill-named "Patriot Act" extension vote. Again, there are a few good ones, see:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/fr...iotAct2011.pdf

By downplaying the libertarian movement, you would rather see yet greater tyranny by the transfer-payment loving government welfare queens? Big government ALWAYS MEANS LESS FREEDOM, taxation is legalized theft -- it should therefore be minimized. If you don't understand THAT from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Also, do you realize that a minimum wage CREATES unemployment?! It does, but that is basic economics, most Americans never learn -- another reason government has failed in education -- just look at American's education scoring Vs. the rest of the world!

MORE government regulation simply stifles innovation and small business owners who have some great ideas.

If you want to know what the REAL Tea Party is, it is libertarian and for principled SMALLER GOVERNMENT, see: http://campaignforliberty.com

The libertarian philosophy is principled, NOT "overly simple-minded" -- you sir are simply misinformed.

Since you say "MANKIND IS NOT, IN GENERAL, A DECENT AND COMPASSIONATE SPECIES" -- why on earth would you want to concentrate the power of theft and tyranny in government -- that is just asking for unconstitutional dictators.

Anyone who thinks government can produce jobs -- I have a bridge to sell them in London. Government NEVER produces wealth, it ONLY CONSUMES WEALTH.

If you want to learn more about why liberty is good for We The People, start reading Reason:
http://reason.com/

and Liberty:
http://www.libertyunbound.com/

Nice to see your post. Always room for more reason on the boards here.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #154 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have to agree that the self-serving (and that's no coincidence) libertarian crap doesn't belong here. The radically selfish are too small-minded to grasp your great point that government can act as an immune system against those who would exploit the system and their fellow citizens. A certain pair of libertarian oil-business brothers comes to mind.

But more to the point is what government can do to establish broad and coherent technological, economic and cultural goals. The space program of the 60s, for example, was an early and massive demonstration of the networked interoperability of computers, in that case very large ones. There were duplicate, redundant IBM installations at Goddard and Houston for orbit management and vehicle and crew telemetry (Huntsville was in this loop also) communicating over a network controlled by a huge Univac installation at Goddard and maybe somewhere else -- I don't remember that part. The Deep Space Network of three large dishes around the world was involved in tracking, and the communication of that data was shared between Goddard and JPL.

All controlled by networked computers such as the ones you libertarians are wasting our time with to this day, not having seen that the future belongs to those who can cooperate around the world through mutual interest and knowledge. Our Prez understands this, and that's why he was talking to these people.

Edit: By the way, the NASA computer-contolled network was established before AT&T and Western Electric had deployed any of their electronic switching equipment. We were still on dial phones switched by relays stacked in ten-story central-office buildings.
post #155 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I have to agree that the self-serving (and that's no coincidence) libertarian crap doesn't belong here. The radically selfish are too small-minded to grasp your great point that government can act as an immune system against those who would exploit the system and their fellow citizens. A certain pair of libertarian oil-business brothers comes to mind.

But more to the point is what government can do to establish broad and coherent technological, economic and cultural goals. The space program of the 60s, for example, was an early and massive demonstration of the networked interoperability of computers, in that case very large ones. There were duplicate, redundant IBM installations at Goddard and Houston for orbit management and vehicle and crew telemetry (Huntsville was in this loop also) communicating over a network controlled by a huge Univac installation at Goddard and maybe somewhere else -- I don't remember that part. The Deep Space Network of three large dishes around the world was involved in tracking, and the communication of that data was shared between Goddard and JPL.

All controlled by networked computers such as the ones you libertarians are wasting our time with to this day, not having seen that the future belongs to those who can cooperate around the world through mutual interest and knowledge. Our Prez understands this, and that's why he was talking to these people.

Edit: By the way, the NASA computer-contolled network was established before AT&T and Western Electric had deployed any of their electronic switching equipment. We were still on dial phones switched by relays stacked in ten-story central-office buildings.

Looks like Libertarianism is getting a bad rap here, thanks to some oft repeated misinformation.

Let's check with Wikipedia for a very brief definition, shall we?

Quote:
Link: Libertarianism is the advocacy of individual liberty, especially freedom of expression and action.

Just to clear something up... It never seems to occur to people that ALL people are "selfish", it's called self-interest. When groups of people band together to pass legislation that benefits them and their special interest(s), for example. This happens on every part of the political spectrum, so blaming one "side" or the other is simply ignoring reality and human nature.

Also, one of the key philosophical points in Libertarianism is cooperation, free trade and non-aggression. Ideas that typically appeal to tech people and business people. If the government never laid the "pipes" to create the Internet, I have no doubt it would have evolved in one form or another anyway. Probably with mesh networks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #156 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If the government never laid the "pipes" to create the Internet, I have no doubt ....it would have evolved in one form or another anyway...

Since the government did, this is a silly argument. You can't observe the counterfactual, so it's a cheap/easy/strawman statement to make.

More seriously, please name one modern, global public good that has 'evolved anyway in one form or the other' through solely private efforts.
post #157 of 177
Quote:

Looks like Libertarianism is getting a bad rap here, thanks to some oft repeated misinformation.

Just to clear something up... It never seems to occur to people that ALL people are "selfish", it's called self-interest. When groups of people band together to pass legislation that benefits them and their special interest(s), for example. This happens on every part of the political spectrum, so blaming one "side" or the other is simply ignoring reality and human nature.

Also, one of the key philosophical points in Libertarianism is cooperation, free trade and non-aggression. Ideas that typically appeal to tech people and business people. If the government never laid the "pipes" to create the Internet, I have no doubt it would have evolved in one form or another anyway. Probably with mesh networks.

Why shouldn't L'ism get a bad rap here? Humorlessly and relentlessly the advocates have hijacked the topic for their own narrow ideological self-promotion. Off topic besides.

What we had was a good story about a positive event: for a change (after eight years of doctrinaire, laissez-faire ignore-ance), we have a president who realizes the direction that America should be taking in its early post-industrial ascendency.

You interpret the role of government in fostering the computer and internet revolution much too narrowly. Maybe you weren't there. What Kennedy (and perhaps Eisenhower a bit before him) did was create an entire climate of innovation and evolution of key technologies. It wasn't a matter of "pipes" for the internet. It was about broad goals of technological accomplishment.

"Your old road is rapidly aging,
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand,
For the times they are a-changing."
post #158 of 177
Quote:

Like that last part, Spam...good point. The govt. gets a lot of cred for 'creating' the space age, the internet, and jobs. It seems to me that when the free market got ahold of the net and ran with it, it flourished to what it is today. I'm fine with the govt. getting some credit, but just because caveman invented the wheel, we shouldn't credit them with inventing the car.

Smaller govt., lower taxes, and less regulation. These are the principles that created the phenomenal wealth this country has experienced over decades. We are going in the wrong direction and need to get back, or we'll suffer lost decades ala Japan.
post #159 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Like that last part, Spam...good point. The govt. gets a lot of cred for 'creating' the space age, the internet, and jobs. It seems to me that when the free market got ahold of the net and ran with it, it flourished to what it is today. I'm fine with the govt. getting some credit, but just because caveman invented the wheel, we shouldn't credit them with inventing the car.

Smaller govt., lower taxes, and less regulation. These are the principles that created the phenomenal wealth this country has experienced over decades. We are going in the wrong direction and need to get back, or we'll suffer lost decades ala Japan.

This is exactly right. The govt does its best work when it pushes forward an ascendent technology, not mature or senescent technologies.

The govt creates the platform for a space age or an internet age and private contractors run with it and eventually own their own rockets, orbit engineers and communications networks. When the govt broke up AT&T 40 years ago it was saying that it was time to get serious about private enterprise networks, not monopoly networks. Govt was opening up telecom to computers, leaving behind voice and teletype.

You guys need to think in tectonic and evolutionary terms about govt and enterprise, and get over your doctrinaire, emotional categories. The pres. was meeting with the 12 most highly placed strategists in the networked knowledge industry. This is a new, ascendent category of enterprise. It is equal in import to transportation or energy. It didn't exist 40 years ago. It was partly or greatly made possible by govt, carried out by pvt enterprise. (Stanford's role has been to channel govt contracts into Silicon Valley academic/enterprise realization.)

Typed out on my iPad lying on the couch with a cat on my lap. Connected by Verizon, but it could have easily been AT&T or Time-Warner.
post #160 of 177
Quote:

These meetings indicate just how clueless the government's business policies are and how they unfairly favor big business.

From Businessweek:

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/debatero..._business.html

While it may be true, generally using a biased source is not the best way to approach it. The article's source? Small Business Administration.

That's like HP's slideshow, showing their mobile OS beating out all others...their source? A random survey not indicative of the current market usage.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama