or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama - Page 2

post #41 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Actually, the guy to the right of Ellison is John Doerr, and the guy on the far left end is Schmidt. Doerr is one of the sharpest people I've ever met.

Correct.

John Doerr is a superstar venture capitalist. Backed Amazon, Google, Intuit, and Sun Microsystems, the latter which was acquired to Ellison's Oracle. Doerr sits on Google's board.
post #42 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

Wow, that is a great point!
post #43 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Not a Dr, but if I had a liver transplant I would probably be drinking lots of water, and no booze.

I'm not drinking any booze, and I haven't had a liver transplant. Next?
post #44 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

Throwing conference room chairs in anger.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #45 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

They only want people who have contributed something to the technology industry, not people who have acted as a hindrance to it.
post #46 of 177
OK, I'll say it. Of all the people at the table, I'd guess Obama makes the lowest salary. And how many black people at at that table? At least there's a couple girls.
post #47 of 177
Gizmodo hired a plane to view the recent demolition of the Jackling House

Are you kidding me?
post #48 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Actually, the guy to the right of Ellison is John Doerr, and the guy on the far left end is Schmidt. Doerr is one of the sharpest people I've ever met.

I posted a photo in the other thread with the names as best I can figure.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=118832

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #49 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

He's outside, parking cars.
post #50 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

OK, I'll say it. Of all the people at the table, I'd guess Obama makes the lowest salary.

Wrong.

Steve's annual salary is $1. Same with Schmidt.
post #51 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Funny how Obama can get away with this. A Republican president would immediately be criticized for being in cahoots with buisiness/industry.

Well, the people who might like to level such a criticism are the same ones promoting the fiction that Obama hates business/industry. They can't have it both ways.
post #52 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Steve should've worn a suit, tie not mandatory of course. I find it rather inappropriate he dresses like that with the President.

Its his uniform. Would you demand that a military person dress in civies?
This was an informal dinner and Jobs dressed appropriately.
post #53 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Funny how Obama can get away with this. A Republican president would immediately be criticized for being in cahoots with buisiness/industry.

No, its another "can't win" for our president.
The left is the one accusing him of being in cahoots with business, while the right (i.e. you) simply criticize him out of reflex.
post #54 of 177
Quote:
Jobs can be seen sitting to the left of Obama as the table of tech luminaries engages in a toast.

Could be a doppelgänger. I'm just say'in.
post #55 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

John Doerr is a superstar venture capitalist. Backed Amazon, Google, Intuit, and Sun Microsystems, the latter which was acquired to Ellison's Oracle. Doerr sits on Google's board.

And he makes great tractors.
post #56 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Well, the people who might like to level such a criticism are the same ones promoting the fiction that Obama hates business/industry. They can't have it both ways.

Please don't feed the trolls. He's just trying to steal this thread.
post #57 of 177
I don't know why(its stupid ), but seeing that picture of the toast reminded me of the Godfather meeting of the 5 families - 'Its agreed then , Zuckerberg will own the youth and no phones, the 'Steve's' will share tablets and phones, Ballmer will be 'retired' and that will be the peace.'
or the Star Wars canteen scene with Solo and Guido (what do you have under the table Zuckerberg?). Ya silly thoughts.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #58 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Could be a doppelgänger. I'm just say'in.

Who? Jobs or Obama... or both... d'oh!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #59 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Its his uniform. Would you demand that a military person dress in civies?
This was an informal dinner and Jobs dressed appropriately.

Correct. This is not a state dinner. This is an informal dinner in a private residence.

On top of that, this is California. Almost everyone is wearing their normal daily attire; that's how Silicon Valley dresses. The only person who dressed up was Zuckerberg.
post #60 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Thank God nobody cares what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Yeah, right. Bring politics in. Let me guess: you're not a Democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Yep. I'm your only fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Please don't feed the trolls. He's just trying to steal this thread.

Beg your pardon.
post #61 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

OK, I'll say it. Of all the people at the table, I'd guess Obama makes the lowest salary. And how many black people at at that table? At least there's a couple girls.

Are you implying that Silicon Valley is racist? What would be the basis for that statement? (I can understand, to some extent, if someone wanted to make the case in relation to gender and tech, but race!?).
post #62 of 177
Maybe the President changed tap water into wine...
post #63 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct. This is not a state dinner. This is an informal dinner in a private residence.

On top of that, this is California. Almost everyone is wearing their normal daily attire; that's how Silicon Valley dresses. The only person who dressed up was Zuckerberg.

Yeah interesting observation about Zuckerberg. Probably a reflection of his youth in that for all his bravado he really isn't confident enough (yet) in his identity to say "who cares who else is there, this is my style." That being said I'm glad he did lose the hoodie and maybe he actually has better judgement than he gets credit for. Or not.
post #64 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct. This is not a state dinner. This is an informal dinner in a private residence.

On top of that, this is California. Almost everyone is wearing their normal daily attire; that's how Silicon Valley dresses. The only person who dressed up was Zuckerberg.

Hard to tell, looks like Steve shaved.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #65 of 177
The photo with the Dinner is from the White House Press Corp. That is Steve next to the President.
post #66 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkovnik View Post

Is that just a small storm cellar? Or is it something far more cool than that?...

I don't see what you're looking at, but if we are talking a basement or underground room type area, in a house of that era, built in that style and in that location, ...

Occam's razor would suggest a wine cellar more than a dungeon/fall-out shelter or any other more exciting possibility.
post #67 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeedadell View Post

Yeah interesting observation about Zuckerberg. Probably a reflection of his youth in that for all his bravado he really isn't confident enough (yet) in his identity to say "who cares who else is there, this is my style." That being said I'm glad he did lose the hoodie and maybe he actually has better judgement than he gets credit for. Or not.

Everyone in the room knows that Zuckerberg doesn't normally dress like that.

He would have been more representative of the Facebook Generation if he wore his normal clothes. Again, this was an informal dinner at a private residence, not a state dinner at the White House.

Personally, I think Zuckerberg failed the test.
post #68 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Steve should've worn a suit, tie not mandatory of course. I find it rather inappropriate he dresses like that with the President.

For me a suit without a tie is casual. If it's casual then I don't find his attire at all inappropriate.
post #69 of 177
These meetings indicate just how clueless the government's business policies are and how they unfairly favor big business.

From Businessweek:

Quote:
Businesses with fewer than 500 workers make up 99.7 percent of all employer firms in the U.S., encompass more than half of all private-sector employees, and have generated 65 percent of net new jobs over the past 17 years, according to the Small Business Administration.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/debatero..._business.html

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #70 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Wow, that is a great point!

This might explain it.
post #71 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeedadell View Post

Yeah interesting observation about Zuckerberg. Probably a reflection of his youth in that for all his bravado he really isn't confident enough (yet) in his identity to say "who cares who else is there, this is my style." That being said I'm glad he did lose the hoodie and maybe he actually has better judgement than he gets credit for. Or not.

Zuckerberg and Doerr are patients of mine, and I know Schmidt from when he was taking pilot training. Zuckerberg was a bit introverted, and we did not discuss anything to do with Facebook - couldn't judge his personality very deeply. Doerr, on the other hand, was intelligent, social, and engaging, and figured out some of the technicalities of my profession (Optometry) while I was doing the testing - blew me away. At the end of the exam, I opined that he had the best and most fun job in the world, and he readily agreed. Didn't get to know Schmidt at all, other than to ask him (when I first met him years ago) why he was jumping from Novell to a little-known-startup in Mountain View that was known for search, along with Inktomi, Yahoo, and others. He said he had a few other things in mind, other than search. No sh*t

I'll bet Zuck and Obama had very few words together, and that Jobs probably dominated that interesting seating arrangement. Obaba probably wanted to make Zuck feel less uncomfortable by all the older folks around him, which is par for the course when seating at these types of functions - place the person who is most out of place next to the honored guest or the host.
post #72 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

Technically, he is not from Silicon Valley, whereas everybody else in that group seems to be from there.
post #73 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If all the pictures taken are with Steve hidden it is not going to help speculation sad to say.

Exactly, who the hell cares about speculation = only the dumbest people that can't think for themselves!
post #74 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

My father died of pancreatic cancer, we all went to celebrate his birthday at a restaurant. At the time he was able to walk around and whatnot. 6 weeks later he was dead.

Except that there are two different kinds of pancreatic cancer that are entirely different from each other in severity and consequence as well as survivability.

Steve Jobs has the very rare one with the much longer survival rate. Odds are (just speaking statistics here) that your father had the much more common one.

I'm not saying he won't drop dead tomorrow, but he could just as easily live for a decade or two. We just don't know, and it's none of our business anyway.
post #75 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeedadell View Post

Yeah interesting observation about Zuckerberg. Probably a reflection of his youth in that for all his bravado he really isn't confident enough (yet) in his identity to say "who cares who else is there, this is my style." That being said I'm glad he did lose the hoodie and maybe he actually has better judgement than he gets credit for. Or not.

Or maybe, despite his youth and "all his bravado," he's thoughtful enough to present himself respectfully to the President of the United States.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #76 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Everyone in the room knows that Zuckerberg doesn't normally dress like that.

He would have been more representative of the Facebook Generation if he wore his normal clothes. Again, this was an informal dinner at a private residence, not a state dinner at the White House.

Personally, I think Zuckerberg failed the test.

Agreed. He should have worn a hoodie with a bow tie and ruffled shirt silkscreened on front, you know like the classic tuxedo t-shirt. Then he could have been true to his style while tipping his hat to the guest list.
post #77 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you implying that Silicon Valley is racist? What would be the basis for that statement? (I can understand, to some extent, if someone wanted to make the case in relation to gender and tech, but race!?).

In a group of ten people there should have been 1.2 black persons and five women to be truly reflective of the American society. If somebody was underrepresented it sure was the women.
post #78 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Steve should've worn a suit, tie not mandatory of course. I find it rather inappropriate he dresses like that with the President.

I'm shocked that you even said this and I'm curious as to why someone with such retrograde, old-fashioned thinking is interested in technology at all. Maybe you should be knitting sweaters or something instead?
post #79 of 177
Where is Steve Balmer? Is Microsoft off the face of the earth? No jobs or innovation there?
post #80 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I'm sorry about your father, but that's not relevant. Six weeks from now any one of us could be killed in a car accident. He's here now and he's clearly able to function. We need to be thankful for every minute we have him.

if he makes it 2 more months i think he will make it for a few more years. but i have to admit i fear the next few weeks and what we might find out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama