or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline - Page 2

post #41 of 138
any developers out there want to deal with fragmentation, if the screen res and size can be easily delt with by developers i can maybe see it, my take is that ipod touch and iphone both have same size screen, 4" without changing the overall size of the unit
so how do developers work on 3g 4, 5 ipad 1, 2 and other sizes rumors also said that the res of the ipad 2 will be twice ipad 1 so that developers have an easier time with them
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #42 of 138
I would definitely get a 7" Touch. I just had to replace my 3rd G Touch (got yanked out of my hand on the G at Nostrand Ave. Note to self: don't sit by the door with the iPod out. Had a cracked screen anyway ) and I tried out every single 7" or so option that was in stores to try. I ended up with a new 4th G Touch and I love it, but if a 7" comes out soon that isn't stupidly overpriced I would get it and pass mine along. The only thing I want out of mine that I don't have is a little more screen real estate.
post #43 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I thought 7" was DOA according to SJ, the playbook was DOA because it was 7", the Tab was an epic fail according to many on the board because it is 7". I thought the current size was optimal. However a 7" iPad is now ok?

No a smaller iPad is DoA. Marketing a bigger iPod though brings a totally different set of expectations. Apple can say up front the bigger iPod isn't suited for many tablet functions and not get hurt as long as it does all the iPod/iPhone gaming functionality well and with minimal developer disruption. If the resolutions stay at a Retina Display multiple of 2 (including 1/2) it won't be a problem.

There are more than a few gamers and game devs that have some difficulties with the limited physical space of the iPod screens when also using the finger controls. More physical space means they can maintain the physical dimension of the control with that control using less percentage of the screen real estate.

It also makes for a nice steno pad replacement coupled with an App like Evernote. I think there are quite a few laptop users who would be happy with a device this size as the walk-around I/O note-taking device rather than an iPad. Many of those now aren't going for the iPad and the laptop, they are just getting the laptop.

Acceptance will depend on how it's marketed and priced. Market as an iPad and it flops for all the reasons Steve has outlined before. Market as an iPod and it will be perceived to over-deliver and be a success.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #44 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Interesting! iPlay is a great name but i think it would likely remain: iPod ______ ...there's no room in their website header baar for "iPlay" haha

"iPay" (for the e-wallet feature)
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #45 of 138
Yeah, an iPod touch with larger screen real estate would be an awesome alternative to carrying my iPad sometimes! Do it Apple...just do it!
post #46 of 138
What a bullshit article. Apple doesn't like confusing people like this story has done.

Apple's main goal at this point is to drive the iPad price down to $399.

Basically, if Apple does anything to the iPod touch's screen-size they'll make the screen 4", just like the rumoured iPhone 5. Or they keep it 3.5". Not 5", not 6" and not 7". The whole point of the iPod is that if fits in your pocket.

You spend your career writing for AI and you have no real intuition on Apple at all. Ridiculous.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #47 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Didn't Steve Jobs said that a tablet smaller than 10" will be DOA. So, NO.

That's the entire point. There won't be a small iPad. There will be a large iPod touch.
It will run touch/iPhone apps without looking stupid they way they do on an iPad, but they won't run full blown iPad apps.
Ergo bigger screen for reading making it a better reader, but with half a million apps.

F'ing brilliant.
post #48 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

It's essentially a small iPad, but it's marketed as a big iPod Touch.

That is just brilliant.

Actually, the opposite.
Its essentially a large iPod touch, but marketed as a small iPad.
post #49 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Even with the rumoured quicker GPU and CPU in the next iPhone, it would still have less than half the power of the NGP, plus of course, no physical buttons, which are essential for serious NGP level gaming.

It would be more of a Kindle competitor, but the Kindle is a *lot* cheaper...

You're talking as if computing power has proven itself to be major factor in gaming popularity. It wasn't in the Wii vs PS3, and wan't in the DS vs PSP. Dreamcast, 3DO are two other examples of fast stuff being ignored.

Also, you can take a look at what the iPod touch has already done to gaming. If Sony wasn't already threatened, it wouldn't be desperately trying to copy Apple's business models rather than the other way around. Sony is trying to move towards downloads, throwing away the disc-based medium it has banked on since the PS1. And it's trying to set up an app market with PSN just like iTunes.

The NGP (and even certified gamer PS1/android phones) will likely be better at playing gamer games, but that's not where the mass market is. Sony will be carving out a Firewire market amongst USBs. Ask Apple how well it works out to be demonstrably better than everyone else.
post #50 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I don't care what anyone says, there is NO difference between the iPod touch and the iPad. The only difference is in the User Interface of certain apps, and 3G. THAT'S IT!!! And UI adjustments is not enough to call these two devices different.

Then you think there's no difference between a sports car and a mini van just because the interface is the same?
I can't believe you actually own and have used both if you really think that. I do, and can tell you their uses are completely different. I have some common apps between them but use them for vastly different things.
post #51 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

That's the entire point. There won't be a small iPad. There will be a large iPod touch.

That is not a good point. This story is a rumor. And it's not happening.

If you guys took some time to look at your empty arguments you'd realize the nonsense your were talking. The whole point of the iPod touch is that it fits in your pocket. The web, iTunes, the App Store, your e-mail, your music, your games, FaceTime - all in your pocket! There wont be a 6" iPod touch. Any larger than 4" and it's no longer pocketable, and more expensive to produce. If you want a large iPod touch the iPad is it, and more.

This message is not lost on Apple. That's why there's a big gap between the products - to make the purchasing decision easy. Do you want the Internet and all your music in your pocket, or do you want a tablet computer. It's a clear message.

Next iPod touch will be 4" max. Next iPad will be $399, possibly. If Apple can drive the price of the iPad down to $399, they will.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #52 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That is not a good point. This story is a rumor. And it's not happening.

I'm not taking it as fact, just as an idea. And I still think its a good one.
Plus, even you are postulating a larger screen. 4" or 7", its still a new format.
My point is that it won't be a small iPad.
Time will tell.
post #53 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Hi pretentious arrogant dick.

You've been reported. You can try to change your post, but you can't cover-up your actions. You've been a member less than 3 months, you've a lot to learn.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #54 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

what's the difference. Particularly if the ipad gets the cameras this year. Little to nothing.

As for the notion of making a bigger ipad. I doubt it. Apple seems to believe they have the form pretty close to perfect. So outside of small changes like maybe reducing the bezel to shave off a tiny bit, i think the ipad will get thinner with 'bigger' internals

the difference is in the ui for fsck sake

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #55 of 138
If this happens, it will be a larger iPod Touch. Besides size, the most obvious distinction between an iPod Touch and an iPad is the display's aspect ratio. Maintaining the 3:2 aspect ratio would make this an extension of the iPod Touch and means that developers will not have to do much work to get their existing apps appearing nicely on the display.

The 3:2 aspect ratio is also closer to the ~16:9 aspect ratio that some other 7" tablets are using.
post #56 of 138
It seems like a no brainer that apple will release a larger ipod touch. i believe the rumors were 5.7 inches and that seems perfect for a lot of things, particularly gaming, as Archos has been saying, but also for video, facetime, purse sized book reader, apple tv controller.... there is definitely a market for a form factor between the ipod touch and the ipad, and it makes a lot more sense for it to run ipod touch apps.
post #57 of 138
The new bigger ipod touch could also be a 3D unit that dont required glasses
post #58 of 138
It's quite amazing.

Apple release the iPad - those on here state that it is doomed!

It's just a big iPod, doesn't have a camera - it'll never sell!!!!

Those people have not conceded that they were wrong - look through the archives and see them howl in disgust at apple's doomed project.

So here we are 20 million+ (and counting) unit sales in less than a year and the entire market of tablet computing ignited directly because of Apple and the iPad. If Apple weren't the dominant market leaders the term "iPad killer" wouldn't exist".

Apple got it right because they listened to the consumer, not the "tech experts" on here.

The display is great, the battery life is astounding, functionality far surpasses the original stated intentions and customer satisfaction is through the roof.

Now the same people who were so wrong about iPad's success tell us what it needs to be improved.

Retina Display
Physical Keyboard
USB/SD/ESATA/Ethernet Ports
Camera
Bigger
Smaller
Colours

etc.

Apple don't need to do anything, they will do what they feel is 'just enough' to tempt the average consumer (note the term "average consumer" - that doesn't mean techno geek) while keeping prices as low as possible and margins as high as they can get away with.

There is nothing wrong with iPad, the next chapter will be exciting, but for those expecting a significantly different form factor, massive functionality increases and other bells and whistles, I'm afraid you're going to be sadly disappointed.

Larger hard drive, slight processor (and maybe, but not essentially a RAM increase) and the inevitable camera.

Don't get your hopes up for anything more guys - it's not time to reinvent the wheel in the first year, Apple sell as many of these as they can make and the competition are imitating and giving people what they think they want - but it's not selling - no amount of ports, cameras and other bells and whistles is harming Apple's massive market lead. And for the next year at least, Apple is home and dry, they don't need to create anything massively new.

The screen size was right, 7" is too small - just as Jobs said. Ask Samsung how their iPad killer is doing. It'll be lucky to sell as many units in a year as Apple do in a month - it has ports, it has a camera - but it's not selling more.

Apple understand the consumer and ignore the tech press, they give Mr. Average what he wants and Mr Average is happy - he doesn't care how it works or what the specs are, he simply knows it works, is easy to use and is at a price point he can afford - and that's all that matters for Apple's bottom line.
post #59 of 138
Not one person here has seemed to understand my point that the iPod touch is of a certain size because it needs to be pocketable. Do people even read these threads, or do they just come along to submit a random comment and leave?

I don't know if I agree with everything nkhm said there, but he essentially made sense. No wonder Gruber has made such a following. Most people don't really think through what they want to say when it comes to tech. And in particular the future of tech.

You only need to look at Apple mockups out there to see how wrong people can be. Apple tends to make simple products that make sense. People looking at Apple from the outside tend to think the next Apple product is going to have wings.

It's like the whole Apple Television thing. People or still debating whether or not Apple are going to make an actual TV, and not what they should be debating - what the TV is going to look like. If you're still in the group that thinks Apple are "never" going to make a TV then in my opinion you need to keep your mouth closed in future.

When myself and a few others here said Apple are going to make a phone - "they have no choice" I recall saying - people around here called us idiots. When a few here including myself said Apple are going to make a tablet, we were ridiculed. And when we said an Apple Tele is eventually coming, the same thing.

After all three off these products come to be no one will ever say: you know what, we were all wrong.

It's not that difficult to give general product predictions with Apple. But no matter how many times you get it right people never recall all the shouting you did at the time. I recall only one member here sending me an PM apology when the iPad was announced. I predicted 10" and everyone practically said I was crazy thinking it would be that big. The consensus at the time seemed to be 7". I have always argued that size never made sense, and I turned out to right. Now we come full-circle and we're back to this 6-7" talk. Do ye people ever learn?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #60 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I don't care what anyone says, there is NO difference between the iPod touch and the iPad. The only difference is in the User Interface of certain apps, and 3G. THAT'S IT!!! And UI adjustments is not enough to call these two devices different.


And yet . . . they can't make them fast enough. Somebody must think there's a big difference.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #61 of 138
iOS device for Games?
I think so. There's a sweet spot for work that i believe is iPad. Sweet spot for portability is iPhone. Bit the sweet spot for portable gaming is probably in between.
post #62 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

iOS device for Games?

So you played games on an iPad an thought: "if only this was smaller". No one thinks that. 10" is not actually that big for a screen. Even watching movies 13" is far better. They make a pocket computer and a tablet computer, they have no need for a tweener. Apple always walk to the beat of their own drummer. And that tends to be 'cause they deeply think through what makes sense as a product.

If Apple was run by some of you guys they'd have 1", 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 12" and 13" touch screen products to make sure they catered to every possible person out there. That's the MS way, the AOL way, it's not the Apple way.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #63 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I thought 7" was DOA according to SJ, the playbook was DOA because it was 7", the Tab was an epic fail according to many on the board because it is 7". I thought the current size was optimal. However a 7" iPad is now ok?

The current iPad is only perfect because it is Apples newest device and is what they have to sell now. As to what Steve says it is all marketing in much the same way the G5 PPC was marketed. It still amazes me that people fell for the idea that the G5 was fast when Apples own benchmarks showed it wasn't.

IPad is a great device but that doesn't mean great devices are the end to a product line. It should be rather obvious that the Touch product line is just starting and will develop beyond what we have now. Over the next couple of years I would expect to see many new Touch devices from Apple. This will not be a one pony show.
post #64 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It's quite amazing.

Apple release the iPad - those on here state that it is doomed!

It's just a big iPod, doesn't have a camera - it'll never sell!!!!

Those people have not conceded that they were wrong - look through the archives and see them howl in disgust at apple's doomed project.

So here we are 20 million+ (and counting) unit sales in less than a year and the entire market of tablet computing ignited directly because of Apple and the iPad. If Apple weren't the dominant market leaders the term "iPad killer" wouldn't exist".

Apple got it right because they listened to the consumer, not the "tech experts" on here.

Etc.

Great post.
post #65 of 138
Why would anyone want an oversized iPod? :-)
post #66 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Great post.

Actually, although his post in general was good, the last line you quoted there was the reason I couldn't entirely get behind it.

Quote:
Apple got it right because they listened to the consumer, not the "tech experts" on here.

Apple invented something, not what people didn't know they already wanted, but something that "made sense" as a product. There was a reason for the iPad existing. In fact, Steve told us those reasons during its announcement. Consumers bought it in droves because the iPad is a great and useful product that serves many purposes in a slim package, not because they were listened to.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #67 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not one person here has seemed to understand my point that the iPod touch is of a certain size because it needs to be pocketable. Do people even read these threads, or do they just come along to submit a random comment and leave?

I don't know if I agree with everything nkhm said there, but he essentially made sense. No wonder Gruber has made such a following. Most people don't really think through what they want to say when it comes to tech. And in particular the future of tech.

You only need to look at Apple mockups out there to see how wrong people can be. Apple tends to make simple products that make sense. People looking at Apple from the outside tend to think the next Apple product is going to have wings.

It's like the whole Apple Television thing. People or still debating whether or not Apple are going to make an actual TV, and not what they should be debating - what the TV is going to look like. If you're still in the group that thinks Apple are "never" going to make a TV then in my opinion you need to keep your mouth closed in future.

When myself and a few others here said Apple are going to make a phone - "they have no choice" I recall saying - people around here called us idiots. When a few here including myself said Apple are going to make a tablet, we were ridiculed. And when we said an Apple Tele is eventually coming, the same thing.

After all three off these products come to be no one will ever say: you know what, we were all wrong.

It's not that difficult to give general product predictions with Apple. But no matter how many times you get it right people never recall all the shouting you did at the time. I recall only one member here sending me an PM apology when the iPad was announced. I predicted 10" and everyone practically said I was crazy thinking it would be that big. The consensus at the time seemed to be 7". I have always argued that size never made sense, and I turned out to right. Now we come full-circle and we're back to this 6-7" talk. Do ye people ever learn?

You may have predicted the iPhone and the iPad correctly but if you are predicting a plain TV, I will predict you being wrong. If you are predicting a computer with TV capabilities (a doubtful maybe) or a TV with capabilities well beyond today's typical TV which only a company with vision like Apple could deliver then I agree.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #68 of 138
The iPod touch can gain a little size, no problem. It'd still be pocketable and a lot easier to type on. I bought an iPod touch, only to give it to my son. I simply couldn't get used to that small of a screen. I admit it was awesome at first, like a new love, and I wanted to overlook the painful flaws. But when I got my iPad, I dropped the touch and never looked back.

In my world, a better set of products would be an iPad for home and a larger iPod touch to take with me when I'm out and about. I don't need the full iPad experience, but I do need to be able to interact with it.

I'll probably buy whatever Apple comes out with. I find myself drawn to any new iPod, no matter how small it is. SJ's RDF is a real thing. I'm so drawn in when SJ holds it up as this amazing, tiny thing that I end up buying. But when I actually reach for an iPod out of my collection, it's one with a scroll wheel.
post #69 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The current iPad is only perfect because it is Apples newest device and is what they have to sell now.

I believe he means the size, as in a 9.7" display for a tablet device, is perfect.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #70 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The iPod touch can gain a little size, no problem. It'd still be pocketable and a lot easier to type on.

4" max.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #71 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic

You may have predicted the iPhone and the iPad correctly but if you are predicting a plain TV, I will predict you being wrong.

I predict it will be an Apple branded Television. It will have something revolutionary about it. If this Apple branded TV could successfully turn my living room into a room with 1 remote that would be a revolution, for me. Besides that, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic

If you are predicting a computer with TV capabilities...

Think more: "connected TV", as opposed to "a computer with TV capabilities". It won't act or be marketed as a computer. The problem with TV is Apple likes their control, and they don't control TV content as they'd like to. If Apple had more control this would move forward a lot sooner. The TV experience sucks more than the mobile phone experience ever did.

We can wax-wishful all day about this TV, but that's not the point. The point is they will do something in the TV space some day, something more that little black box.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #72 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not one person here has seemed to understand my point that the iPod touch is of a certain size because it needs to be pocketable. Do people even read these threads, or do they just come along to submit a random comment and leave?

I don't know if I agree with everything nkhm said there, but he essentially made sense. No wonder Gruber has made such a following. Most people don't really think through what they want to say when it comes to tech. And in particular the future of tech.

You only need to look at Apple mockups out there to see how wrong people can be. Apple tends to make simple products that make sense. People looking at Apple from the outside tend to think the next Apple product is going to have wings.

It's like the whole Apple Television thing. People or still debating whether or not Apple are going to make an actual TV, and not what they should be debating - what the TV is going to look like. If you're still in the group that thinks Apple are "never" going to make a TV then in my opinion you need to keep your mouth closed in future.

When myself and a few others here said Apple are going to make a phone - "they have no choice" I recall saying - people around here called us idiots. When a few here including myself said Apple are going to make a tablet, we were ridiculed. And when we said an Apple Tele is eventually coming, the same thing.

After all three off these products come to be no one will ever say: you know what, we were all wrong.

It's not that difficult to give general product predictions with Apple. But no matter how many times you get it right people never recall all the shouting you did at the time. I recall only one member here sending me an PM apology when the iPad was announced. I predicted 10" and everyone practically said I was crazy thinking it would be that big. The consensus at the time seemed to be 7". I have always argued that size never made sense, and I turned out to right. Now we come full-circle and we're back to this 6-7" talk. Do ye people ever learn?

We all make mistakes, but it seems you fervently make claims that fall under the "don't really think through what they want to say when it comes to tech. And in particular the future of tech. You only need to look at Apple mockups out there to see how wrong people can be.

Ive read your posts here for a long time and youve made some very wild and angry claims that were really out there. If I recall you said that an Apple tablet would have Mac OS X on it despite all the reasonable people saying it needs a unique interface to make it work. I think you said there would be a recall and a change to the GSM iPhone 4. If that was you, that didnt happen either.
post #73 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

4" max.

Why not 4.3? That is a popular size of Android phone with people I know.

I dont mind a staunch position when it comes to technology, no matter how silly it is, so long as you have a firm reason for your position. To say 4 max without backing up your claim doesnt make it valid or sound. It does make it seem like you are just pulling numbers out of thin air for no reason than it felt right at the moment.
post #74 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Why not 4.3”? That is a popular size of Android phone with people I know.

4" isn't a scientific number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron

I don’t mind a staunch position when it comes to technology, no matter how silly it is, so long as you have a firm reason for your position. To say 4” max without backing up your claim doesn’t make it valid or sound. It does make it seem like you are just pulling numbers out of thin air for no reason than it felt right at the moment.

My point is: Apple likes to keep their devices small. They may even stick with 3.5 or go to 3.7 or something. They won't add a 4.3" display just because: "these other phones have it". If they do go up to 4.3" it will because they figured out a way to do it without making the overall device size any bigger. And/or because they release an iPhone nano and would like to further differentiate iPhone from it. You'd actually be surprised the amount of people in Europe who don't think the iPhone is small. The vast majority of mobile phone owners are not smartphone users.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #75 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The iPod touch can gain a little size, no problem. It'd still be pocketable and a lot easier to type on. I bought an iPod touch, only to give it to my son. I simply couldn't get used to that small of a screen. I admit it was awesome at first, like a new love, and I wanted to overlook the painful flaws. But when I got my iPad, I dropped the touch and never looked back.

Were certainly seeing a shift in how/where/when people want to use computers and be online. A larger iPod Touch would certainly help fill that void.

A 32GB Touch is $399 and a 32GB iPad is $599. I think $499 for a 32GB iPod Touch 7 would make sense. It would be almost 50% the display size of the iPad and about 400% of the IPod Touch.

They would have to make a new user interface and SDK for it which adds complications, but that is minimal with a good SDK and compared to anything on the Android front. Were only talking 3 different display sizes for iOS, and its not like developers have to develop for 3 sizes if they dont want to. Some apps are simply dont work at multiple sizes and device types.
post #76 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually, although his post in general was good, the last line you quoted there was the reason I couldn't entirely get behind it.



Apple invented something, not what people didn't know they already wanted, but something that "made sense" as a product. There was a reason for the iPad existing. In fact, Steve told us those reasons during its announcement. Consumers bought it in droves because the iPad is a great and useful product that serves many purposes in a slim package, not because they were listened to.

Actually, I believe that Apple 'listens' to its customers a lot, but not in the traditional sense of focus groups, market research surveys and such.

More important, it knows its customers so well that sometimes, it is capable of anticipating where it's core group of longstanding customers wants to go next.

Moreover, not every company has the benefit of an abundance of free (and passionately so!) advice from many, many settings like these!
post #77 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

4" isn't a scientific number.

My point is: Apple likes to keep their devices small. They may even stick with 3.5 or go to 3.7 or something. They won't add a 4.3" display just because: "these other phones have it". If they do go up to 4.3" it will because they figured out a way to do it without making the overall device size any bigger.

It is a scientific unit of measurement. The International System of Units says its 25.4mm. Only metric can be scientific?

I dont understand your point at all. You say that Apple like their devices small. That makes no sense when you look at the Mac Pro, 27 iMac, 17 MBP and the 9.7 iPad. They like there devices thin but they have plenty of devices with displays that have become larger.

Did you claim that Apple wont make a tablet because the display is too large and they like their devices small? Of course you didnt.

Again, why would they create a new interface and SDK for a 3.7 or up to 4 but anything larger? It really sounds like you are just making things up without thinking them through, which is exactly what you accused others of doing.
post #78 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

If I recall you said that an Apple tablet would have Mac OS X on it despite all the reasonable people saying it needs a unique interface to make it work.

I distinctly remembered calling the OS Mac OS X touch. That is not Mac OS X. I said it would need to be re written for the ground up for touch. Go back and read what I said. That said...

I admitted I was off on that one and took it on the chin. And I like my iPad. And yes, I fell into the camp that went after the iPhone 4 antenna, but I'm over that now. It was overblown. I was wrong.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #79 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It is a scientific unit of measurement.

Does the term "figure of speech" evade you? Language context?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #80 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron

I dont understand your point at all. You say that Apple like their devices small. That makes no sense when you look at the Mac Pro, 27 iMac, 17 MBP and the 9.7 iPad. They like there devices thin but they have plenty of devices with displays that have become larger.

Someone talk to this guy.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline