or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T reportedly provisions iOS 4.3 beta Personal Hotspot feature

AT&T reportedly provisions iOS 4.3 beta Personal Hotspot feature

post #1 of 51
AT&T has reportedly provisioned the new Personal Hotspot WiFi sharing feature of iOS 4.3 beta 3 for a developer, indicating it will follow Verizon's lead in offering the feature to its subscribers.

Apple added the Personal Hotspot feature in iOS 4.2.6, a build that only runs on the Verizon iPhone 4. It takes advantage of a feature Verizon has long offered that enables multiple WiFi clients to share a phone's mobile 3G connection.

AT&T hasn't committed to supporting the new feature yet, but is expected to in the face of the competitive threat issued by Verizon. Other carriers can choose whether they will support the OS feature.

The individual reporting AT&T's acquiescence in provisioning the feature on his phone running the developer build says the carrier agreed "after I mentioned Verizon a few times."

AT&T similarly balked for months before finally supporting the MMS and Bluetooth tethering features Apple added to iOS 3.0, but could hold up support for those features because it lacked any direct competition in the US. Personal Hotspot is Wi-Fi tethering.

Activating the feature is subject to additional fees. Verizon charges an extra $20 per month for WiFi tethering, and AT&T is expected to offer similar plans
post #2 of 51
The benefits of competition!
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #3 of 51
10 bucks for 4 gigs a month seems fair enough. I'd never use it though.
post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the carrier agreed "after I mentioned Verizon a few times."

Love how free markets work these little inconsistencies out all on their own. Didn't need anyone to mandate these features for everyone. I believe we're going to see a lot of good things come about due to this broadening in carrier availability.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Love how free markets work these little inconsistencies out all on their own. Didn't need anyone to mandate these features for everyone.

No, the only thing someone has to mandate is competition. Of course, the competition between wireless carriers probably got here without government intervention, though at some point in the past AT&T did have a monopoly and was broken up, not in the wireless world but in the wired one.
post #6 of 51
Old news. If your iPhone could tether before and you had the beta it worked. I've been doing it with the increased cap for a week now.
post #7 of 51
Hurry up and get here, iOS 4.3.....going on a trip soon....would love to have the minivan with a hotspot for all the kids!
post #8 of 51
Say I get x data per month for my iPhone. Now apple adds a feature to the phone's OS that allows my phone to become a wifi router so I can use some percentage of x data on my wifi iPad instead of my phone. But the carrier gets to charge me extra, even if I never exceed the x data that I paid for my iPhone plan. Yeah, free markets rule.
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The benefits of competition!

Identical pricing and customer abuse from the American corporate duopolies?
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Identical pricing and customer abuse from the American corporate duopolies?

Exactly. Verizon gets iPhone - and then...suddenly....

AT&T can provide 2 more GB for the same tethering price
AT&T is giving away Microcells
AT&T announces free mobile to any mobile calls
AT&T brings back unlimited data for select customers

But when they didn't have iPhone competition providing these things to customers would have been cost-prohibitive. Hmmmm....
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Say I get x data per month for my iPhone. Now apple adds a feature to the phone's OS that allows my phone to become a wifi router so I can use some percentage of x data on my wifi iPad instead of my phone. But the carrier gets to charge me extra, even if I never exceed the x data that I paid for my iPhone plan. Yeah, free markets rule.

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking (here in Australia) $20 extra for what?
But I think this is due to the prevalence of the so called Unlimited plans in the States and the likelihood that a tethered iPhone supporting X Other devices has the ability to chew up a lot more data than an iPhone alone.
I suppose the other option is for Verizon or AT&T to offer a much lower more realistic usage cap plan or even a straight price per MB or GB and allow any amount of tethering for free.
This would again cause many howls of anguish but at least you wouldn't be paying for bandwidth you didn't use.
post #12 of 51
As tempted as I am to add this hotspot feature to my iPhone, 3G coverage in my area sucks in a big way. I'll probably go with a 4G mifi solution with another vendor--

(Yes MyWi via JB is available, but the overall ATT 3G speed is slow as molasses)

ATT, hurry up with 4G!
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

But when they didn't have iPhone competition providing these things to customers would have been cost-prohibitive. Hmmmm....

Thats how competition works. If not for Apple introducing the iPhone back in 2007 you wouldnt have the change in the market then to allow there to be a move in the cellphones or carriers at all. Be happy Apple changed the market, even if you prefer WebOS, WP7 or Android.
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Thats how competition works. If not for Apple introducing the iPhone back in 2007 you wouldnt have the change in the market then to allow there to be a move in the cellphones or carriers at all. Be happy Apple changed the market, even if you prefer WebOS, WP7 or Android.

I'm happy to see the competition, of course. I'm just irritated that carriers and ISPs aren't square in the crosshairs of the regulators - instead we have this nonsense about Apple's subscription model being some kind of antitrust issue.
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie01 View Post

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking (here in Australia) $20 extra for what?
But I think this is due to the prevalence of the so called Unlimited plans in the States and the likelihood that a tethered iPhone supporting X Other devices has the ability to chew up a lot more data than an iPhone alone.
I suppose the other option is for Verizon or AT&T to offer a much lower more realistic usage cap plan or even a straight price per MB or GB and allow any amount of tethering for free.
This would again cause many howls of anguish but at least you wouldn't be paying for bandwidth you didn't use.

I can understand it for unlimited plans but I'm talking about capped plans. Besides, AT&T is not even offering unlimited plans any more.
post #16 of 51
Quote:

I'm happy to see the competition, of course. I'm just irritated that carriers and ISPs aren't square in the crosshairs of the regulators - instead we have this nonsense about Apple's subscription model being some kind of antitrust issue.

That I agree with wholeheartedly. The regulators seem to focus on shiny objects in the media, not the real issues. I think SMS is a huge issue, but what I can do because not use it?
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T has reportedly provisioned the new Personal Hotspot WiFi sharing feature of iOS 4.3 beta 3 for a developer, indicating it will follow Verizon's lead in offering the feature to its subscribers.

Apple added the Personal Hotspot feature in iOS 4.2.6, a build that only runs on the Verizon iPhone 4. It takes advantage of a feature Verizon has long offered that enables multiple WiFi clients to share a phone's mobile 3G connection.

AT&T hasn't committed to supporting the new feature yet, but is expected to in the face of the competitive threat issued by Verizon. Other carriers can choose whether they will support the OS feature.

The individual reporting AT&T's acquiescence in provisioning the feature on his phone running the developer build says the carrier agreed "after I mentioned Verizon a few times."

AT&T similarly balked for months before finally supporting the MMS and Bluetooth tethering features Apple added to iOS 3.0, but could hold up support for those features because it lacked any direct competition in the US. Personal Hotspot is Wi-Fi tethering.

Activating the feature is subject to additional fees. Verizon charges an extra $20 per month for WiFi tethering, and AT&T is expected to offer similar plans

Bah! Too little, too late for me. I had to get a Verizon Mi-Fi card. I still have 18 months left on the contract. Freakin' AT&T.
post #18 of 51
Quote:

That I agree with wholeheartedly. The regulators seem to focus on shiny objects in the media, not the real issues. I think SMS is a huge issue, but what I can do because not use it?

Senator Herb Kohl used to be working on that. And then Pogue made some noise about it. Seems like everyone has just rolled over at this point.
post #19 of 51
Note to AT&T:

My 2-year contract from my 3GS iPhone is up in June. If you can't make this work by then -- at equal or better terms than Verizon -- then I'll be jumping ship.

Signed,

Millions of your customers

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #20 of 51
Umm, was there any doubt? Isn't tethering tethering? Why would personal hotspot require a seperate enable if tethering is already on?

Besides, didn't people running 4.3 betas already confirm long ago that the hotspot feature worked for them?
post #21 of 51
Quote:

I'm offended by AT&T only offering features when they *have* to.
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post

But your not offended by Verizon turning down the iPhone 5 years ago? Youre not offended by the way the cellphone industry evolved in general?

Of all the things to be offended by Id say AT&T using its iPhone advantage to its advantage (imagine that!) is one of the last things to strike against.
post #23 of 51
It sucks that iPhoners have to pay for tethering, in Android its built in to the OS and its free. You just turn it on and your surfing from your laptop. Can't do that on AT&T, and on Verizon you can't surf and talk at the same time. No wonder Android is number 1 in the world.
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not !

It reminds me of the services telcoms provide for residential customers. How long have they been delivering the same old voicemail services? It took Google Voice / Grand Central and other VOIP providers to deliver some fresh functionality. All the R&D power of AT&T, Lucent, etc - and nothing to show for it.

It's just proof of what competition does, and how obviously consumers suffer when it doesn't exist. Clearly AT&T viewed their iPhone exclusive as an excuse to hold back and squeeze consumers.
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbrain View Post

Old news. If your iPhone could tether before and you had the beta it worked. I've been doing it with the increased cap for a week now.

I agree and have been going this for weeks. Yet, the entire thread assumes otherwise....
post #26 of 51
Quote:

But your not offended by Verizon turning down the iPhone 5 years ago? Youre not offended by the way the cellphone industry evolved in general?

Of all the things to be offended by Id say AT&T using its iPhone advantage to its advantage (imagine that!) is one of the last things to strike against.

It's more complicated than that.

Should they have benefited by having the exclusive? Sure.

Do carriers have a monopoly? Not so clear. Duopoly is more like it, and almost just as bad for consumers. The government doesn't seem interested in asking about collusion in this industry - so how are we to know if the prices for these services are artificially high?

My point in my first post, the list of things that AT&T has suddenly started offering, is that they ARE artificially high - as evidenced by how much more they can offer consumers at the first sign of competition.

What can be done? Not so clear. Who is the government to set the fair prices for things like texting? Tethering? Subscription commissions? Only FAIR competition - without collusion - can work out those numbers.
post #27 of 51
@ some internet dude

That is the worst attempt at trolling Ive ever seen. Try again, but this time try to understand what you are rallying against. I suggest finding out why your opponent likes about the iPhone and then attack those fundamental principles.
post #28 of 51
I already have it.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

It sucks that iPhoners have to pay for tethering, in Android its built in to the OS and its free. You just turn it on and your surfing from your laptop. Can't do that on AT&T, and on Verizon you can't surf and talk at the same time. No wonder Android is number 1 in the world.

iPhone OS has had tethering world wide for years. In some places, in this case the USA, it was the carrier that restricted it. So it wasn't the OS. The coming update adds it, but Apple had it everywhere else already. Blame ATT.

ALL CDMA phones prevent you from surfing and talking at the same time. Including your precious Android.

As far as Android OS being number 1 in the world, big deal. Most phones that it is on - most people never heard of, and never will.

The real question is, what is a great phone/OS combo? A crappy phone with a decent OS is still crappy.

iPhone is killing any given smart phone with Android installed. Now take your 12 year old pimply face somewhere else to whine.
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

ALL CDMA phones prevent you from surfing and talking at the same time.

For the record, so does my iPhone when AT&T's crappy 3G coverage drops me to EDGE speeds.

Verizon's network has its shortcomings, but AT&T's network is far from perfect.

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

For the record, so does my iPhone when AT&T's crappy 3G coverage drops me to EDGE speeds.

Interesting how Verizon just has shortcomings, but AT&T is far from perfect
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It's not my job to sell ATT and I didn't, and I certainly didn't say it was perfect. I'm just correcting a liar with facts.

But I suppose VZW is better in "fly over country". Personally, I live in a metropolitan area and the service is great.
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I agree and have been going this for weeks. Yet, the entire thread assumes otherwise....

Same thing is happening on other forums. Kind of ridiculous that this is news.
post #34 of 51
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

Old news,
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=167

Thanks for digging this up.
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

But I suppose VZW is better in "fly over country". Personally, I live in a metropolitan area and the service is great.

Outside places around my own town, the worst 3G data reception I've had was in the Bay Area and LA...

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie01 View Post

I've had tethering in Australia since the iOS 3 update, included in my plan, which they'd hurry up and roll this out, although I still prefer to tether with a cable using my MacBook's larger battery to charge my iPhone as I use it, it may come in handy sometimes.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #38 of 51
Quote:

AT&T treated their customers as though they had no choice, because if they wanted an iPhone, they didn't, and AT&T knew it. Now that customers have a choice, they all of a sudden want to provide better services.

The way I see it, a company has an opportunity to show they want my business, before and after the sale. But, when they only show they want my business when it comes down to losing me as a customer, I take offense to that.

I don't think Verizon is necessarily better than AT&T in this respect. I am not planning to reward Verizon for anything. I have never been a Verizon customer, so that's not the point. Everything is not within my control. However, letting AT&T know how I feel *IS* within my control. My alternative is to stay with AT&T and that's no different than saying, "OK AT&T, treat me however you want to treat me. I'm helpless and I don't care." Sorry. But, I do care. And, I plan to show it with my 3 iPhone plans that I pay for.
post #39 of 51
Why is this a carrier controlled feature? I pay for 2GB of data each month. Why do I have to pay extra to use it in teathering mode? 2G is 2G. I should get to use it any way I want.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidste View Post

Why is this a carrier controlled feature? I pay for 2GB of data each month. Why do I have to pay extra to use it in teathering mode? 2G is 2G. I should get to use it any way I want.

It seems strange doesn't it? I can see it with an unlimited plan where in theory you could be sucking data on more than one device but if there is a pre agreed limit how does it matter how you get there?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T reportedly provisions iOS 4.3 beta Personal Hotspot feature