or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to announce new high-speed connector for Macs, report claims

Apple to announce new high-speed connector for Macs, report claims - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

I like the idea of a single connector on my laptop replacing all the others. I've read the comments above and it seems a few folk are having trouble seeing the advantage because all the other interfaces still have their individual uses. Here is my 2¢ on the matter.

It makes sense for me because my laptop can be smaller/thinner/lighter. It allows me to disconnect from my home setup by removing a single cable for travelling. For Apple it allows them to simplify motherboard design by having just one peripheral i/o to contend with. They can then add all these interfaces to a "hub" that is part of the power cable/brick and churn them out by the millions at a fraction of the cost of implementing them on the motherboards of all the different models they make. They can then sell a second power cable/hub to those of us who travel with our laptops frequently so we can leave the 1st one with all our peripherals connected.

I guess as laptop sales outstrip desktop sales these days that this would have a significant impact on most Apple customers. The advantage, other than blinding speed with compatible peripherals, is not so clear to me for desktops. While it would still be possible to replace those connectors on an iMac or Power Mac with a single combined power/light peak port and a "hub" it would not be so elegant. For this reason I don't see Apple doing that unless they could come up with something really compelling that is beyond my imagination. But I wouldn't bet against that...

This will also come in very hand for the IOS eco system. but imagine the impact that could have for the ipad and iphone ( apple appears to be implementing lightpeak through that ecosystem as well.) then the current connecter will probably be replaced by light peak...

this also allows apple to implement other ports on the hub they normally couldnt because of space such as hdmi.

also it allows apple to put better things on the mother board such as discreet graphics for the MBP 13" more space to put SSD directly onto the motherboard. and if they remove the HDD for SSD then that gives more room for longer battery life.
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Just like when apple made USB standard on all macs. There were no accessories, everybody was either using ps/2 or adb. Everybody (apple haters) claim that it's apples plot to get all the stupid Mac users to buy their overpriced USB keyboards.

I probably would have been one of those "haters" back in those days, though in a fanboyish kind of way. Turned out pretty good for apple and everyone else. However I still doubt that including it on a laptop is a good idea. Kind of like I have no use for a blu ray (even the DVD drive is barely used) in a laptop since all my content comes from the internet.

If there are no third parties on board at launch I dont want one of my usb or FireWire ports taken away, especially on a laptop.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #43 of 61
Part of the appeal of light peak (if I have understood various things I've read on it the last couple of years) is also that they can have everything be Light Peak on the inside and have whatever connectors on the outside of the case that they need. So you could still have a USB shaped port and a Firewire shaped port, but they would transmit over light peak and be much faster

EDIT: Corrected as it should have been inside not outside the first time
post #44 of 61
I have no idea what building this stuff costs, but this 'copper now and fibre later' idea sounds distinct un-Apple to me. I know fibre-optic cables are expensive, but when has Apple ever backed down from including really high-end features in the Pro lines?

That illuminated keyboard wasn't cheap. If Apple knows they will have to add fibre optics to Magsafe later, why wouldn't they do it now?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Part of the appeal of light peak (if I have understood various things I've read on it the last couple of years) is also that they can have everything be Light Peak on the outside and have whatever connectors on the outside of the case that they need. So you could still have a USB shaped port and a Firewire shaped port, but they would transmit over light peak and be much faster

Other way around. The novel part of LightPeak wasnt that it was optical or faster than the current copper port interface types, but that it was protocol independent. LightPeak ports could be used to push USB, FireWire, or whatever other protocol over LightPeak port.

The problem with this is you cant just plug in another device that can understand USB or FireWire protocols and have everything just work. Youd have to use a line convertor if you are going from optical to copper for the accessory device.

This is why this newer rumour of LightPeak being first released with copper in mind and eventually integrating the copper USB port with optical is so great. Without this transitional layer its just another issue that wont allow for fast adoption, and could potentially kill a superior tech if its overly inferior in other ways. This is not uncommon with technology.
post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The publication, however, hedges its bets on a timeframe for the rollout, saying it could come as early as this week alongside updates to Apple's MacBook Pro line or sometime further down the road.

Way to go out on limb with this projection. AI reprints it because it can't be wrong.

I am so sick of all these rumors AI prints. No matter what Apple does today, tomorrow, next week or next year AI will have reported it at some point, since every possible configuration has been rumored. I wonder what percentage of AI articles are even close to ever being accurate, I'll bet it is below 10%. I just can't wait for the iPad 4 and iPhone 6 rumors to start. AI should change their name to ABS.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Way to go out on limb with this projection. AI reprints it because it can't be wrong.

I am so sick of all these rumors AI prints. No matter what Apple does today, tomorrow, next week or next year AI will have reported it at some point. I wonder what percentage of AI articles are even close to ever being accurate, I'll bet it is below 10%. I just can't wait for the iPad 4 and iPhone 6 rumors to start. AI should their name to ABS.

This is a rumour site. If you only want fact-based articles, go to MacWorld.com.
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Usb 4.0

Most of USB is about the protocol (router-based, with a handful of access methodologies), the same way that most of Firewire is based on its protocol (router-less, with a handful of access methods). Lightpeak is just a signaling technology, likely implemented with a time-slot approach so that multiple other systems can use it simultaneously without queuing.

One thing I lament is a good notebook docking tool for macbooks. I hope Lightpeak can provide this feature. If it's just one mag-safe connector for the lightpeak and the power, that would certainly do it. It would unquestionably make the world's best dock.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

The Mag Connector with built-in Light Peak is brilliant. Apple has never been big on docking stations... With this combo they've obsoleted everyone else's. Remember, Light Peaknsupports multiple protocols on one wire.

You could have a simple wall powerr plug that comes up to a small breakout box with pwr converter, 2 USB, 2 light peak, a FireWire and an hdmi connector.... And a single skinny wire that connects to your MacBook. Only one port on the Mac for everything.

You could leave peripherals connected to the power/breakout module at work and home and just connect the Mag Connector to your MacBook.

Brilliant!

Jim

If this is not just an other rumor, Apple to launch this technology ahead of everybody else would be huge. I hope this comes soon to the MacPros as well as to the iMacs. So beautifully convinient. One cable to rule them all! Go Apple go!
post #50 of 61

Whole Blu Ray Disc in 30 Seconds ?

Speed of Light here we come

And to you byatching about this 'change'

No problem, understand what you're saying

And will give you a good deal on some SCSI

post #51 of 61
I'ld Like to see Light Peak on the iMac so I can added some external drives. USB and FW is just too slow for my HD work. And no Express Card slot on the iMac and most MBPs is frustrating.
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

One cable to rule them all!

and in lightpeak bind them.

Personally, I am gonna miss the cosiness of spaghetti...
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshapi View Post

You dont seem to get it do you? apple is building a mag safe data and power adapter putting all your precious adaptors in there and using a single lightpeak wire to connect that to your computer

Sure I get it...one cable on the Mac. Now do all of the other vendors get it? Will there be hard drives, card readers, scanners, camera's etc on the other end.

Apple or someone is going to make a fortune on custom cables. The other end of that thing is going to be a ugly mess.

Knowing Apple it will work with exaclty their stuff, LCD, iStuff and that is it.
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They have filed many patents.

Steve said that about iPhone and iOS too and making quite a point about it. Sadly I have seen little evidence that anything Apple patents preventing anything from being copied ad nauseam by Google, HP etc.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post

and in lightpeak bind them.

Personally, I am gonna miss the cosiness of spaghetti...

I have to assume some company will come out with a 'spaghetti to lightpeak' adapter box for the years it will take for complete migration. I'm thinking of external high speed storage systems mostly as that's my thing but all peripherals will be in the same boat from FW to USB. Obviously the speed would be limited to the weakest link but without such an adapter there are going be a ton of peripherals going to waste. Griffin and the usual suspects must already be hard at work if this is all true. Doesn't SCSI seem a long time ago now?
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Sure I get it...one cable on the Mac. Now do all of the other vendors get it? Will there be hard drives, card readers, scanners, camera's etc on the other end.

You're thinking at the wrong level. There will likely be ONE Light Peak connector (much as there is one Ethernet connector). Monitor, USB, eSATA, whatever will be put in an external converter box. Light Peak is SUPER high bandwidth & fast. You'd never connect, say, a mouse directly to it. That'd be like connecting a mouse to Gigabit Ethernet or FW800.

I also don't know the topology of Light Peak. Is is daisy-chainable like FireWire or hub based like USB? Or either? If you have the MacBook->power brick with various ports. Could you add another brick with some eSATA ports or more monitor ports or SDI cameras or RockNet audio network or the like?

Also, regardless of bandwidth, I believe other appeals of Light Peak are simplicity of connectors, low power, and cost. My understanding is that the light pump to electrons circuitry is cheap.

Light Peak is going to provide a ridiculous amount of bandwidth in & out of a machine. And possibly at a cost in power and materials on par or less than USB.

I wonder if the power will be able to flow both ways? Could you have a power brick that self powers the various wire ports, but also have a brick powered by the laptop that powers the ports?

- Jasen.
post #57 of 61
This article is out of sync with Intels announcement of Light Peak. Intel switched to lower cost copper wire citing speeds were comparable to that of fiber optics

Cheers !
Cheers !
Cheers !
post #58 of 61
Intel has always been a leader, Light peek will do well in the market.
post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Doesn't SCSI seem a long time ago now?

Sheez, I remember when SCSI was considered absolutely essential for anybody wanting to real-time streaming to/from the HDD. IDE would simply not suffice.

It's sobering to see how often superior technology loses out to something more affordable and practical.
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sheez, what a crappy looking lab. Looked like the back room of a Radio Shack circa 1991! Or a Windows desktop computer setup!

Oh, well. Me personally, if it means less cables and pwr bricks, then good. I sure don't want my office looking like that geek lab!

Who cares what their lab looks like? They're at the cutting edge of peripheral bus technology.

They could have bean bag chairs in there for all I care!
post #61 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Also note that optical cabling will be the standard one day, but it also needs to supply power (the downfall of eSATA). For this to happen it needs to have copper.

For most uses, I don't think fiber will ever displace copper. Integrated power is pretty crucial for a lot of interconnects. However another issue is with structured wiring. In-wall network cables should last for 100 years. Optical? I'm not convinced that light transmission characteristics are as stable over time as electrical conductivity.

Not that I dislike optical. Electrically decoupling devices is nice when possible. For instance, home theater components. Ground loops are less of an issue when not using electrical interconnects.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to announce new high-speed connector for Macs, report claims