or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › So I'm feeling a little BI lately.

So I'm feeling a little BI lately. - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

no teeth? no backbone? perhaps you're just a bottom dwelling sucker?

Why is there a problem with admitting there are not enough resources to support 8 billion people?

No interest in engaging you specifically. The topic, yes. You, NO.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #42 of 45
Don't lie like that, Noah. You didn't want to engage in that topic last time I brought it up either.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK™ View Post

Why is there a problem with admitting there are not enough resources to support 8 billion people?

Because it's almost certainly not true. Claims like this have been made for the last couple hundred years. So far they've all been wrong.

In fact, here's an example that touches on this exact line of thinking:

Dateline August 23, 2005:
Quote:
Mr. Simmons said he favored a simpler wager, based on his expectation that the price of oil, now about $65 per barrel, would more than triple during the next five years. He said he'd bet that the price in 2010, when adjusted for inflation so it's stated in 2005 dollars, would be at least $200 per barrel.

Quote:
Remembering a tip from Julian, I suggested that we use the average price for the whole year of 2010 instead of the price on any particular date - that way, neither of us would be vulnerable to a sudden short-term swing as the market reacted to some unexpected news. Mr. Simmons agreed, and we sealed the deal by e-mail.

Quote:
With Mr. Simmons's approval, we arranged for Rita and me to split the wager, with each of us putting up $2,500 against Mr. Simmons's $5,000. (Note to accounting department: I'm aware that my expense account doesn't cover gambling. I'm using my own money.) All the money is being put into escrow in a joint account; the winning side will collect the $10,000 plus any accrued interest on Jan. 1, 2011.

The followup and the price of petroleum.

And Tierney takes the population issue on directly here.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Don't lie like that, Noah. You didn't want to engage in that topic last time I brought it up either.

Not lying, and don't appreciate being called one either. I have less interest in engaging marcuk in a conversation of any kind than being run over by a car.

I did not see the topic as presented being the same as what you brought up but I suppose the case could be made. The major difference being that I actually read what you post and take it seriously, and with him, I don't.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #45 of 45

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › So I'm feeling a little BI lately.