Originally Posted by Stuu
I'm going on holiday to America and I'm thinking of getting an iPad there. If the iPad 2 has not released should I buy the original iPad or not? I could save up extra money to buy it here in the UK but whatever. Thoughts?
I understand your need to escape the UKs sky high prices and taxes. In that regards I'd delay your trip until The new iPad comes out.
As to the current iPad I can't reccomend buying that machine at all. One of it's biggest faults is a complete lack of a reasonable amount of User RAM. App behaviour and performance will change drastically one iPad comes with more RAM. So on that point alone I can not reccomend an iPad 1 at this time. There are other issues like processor performance which are also issues. New features beyond that depend upon your needs.
For example FaceTime support might be a significant feature and one that you might underestimate a need for. Plus mystery ports might be significant too. I don't however see new features as reasons not to get an iPad, rather I like to focus on limitations of the current design when deciding to reject it. Especially now when the new unit is only a couple of weeks off.