or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to debut Light Peak alongside Apple's new MacBook Pros Thursday

Intel to debut Light Peak alongside Apple's new MacBook Pros Thursday

post #1 of 50
On the same day Apple is expected to unwrap its new MacBook Pros, Intel said it will be briefing the press on "a new technology that is about to appear on the market."

Intel's new technology to be unveiled will be Light Peak, according to a report by CNET, which attributed the news to an industry source familiar with the details of Intel's event.

Intel's announcement will also be made in San Francisco, strengthening the connection between its news and Apple's expected release of new MacBook Pros and potentially other products, on the same day that happens to coincide with Steve Jobs' birthday, and which falls one day after Apple's shareholder meeting.

A report by the French MacGeneration said that upcoming MacBook Pros would premier an unknown "new technology," describing Light Peak as a possible candidate.

It also confirmed an earlier report by AppleInsider pertaining to sealed package deliveries of new inventory that were not to be opened, saying it could verify that French retailers had received new stock they could not open before Thursday, 1:30 PM Paris time.

AppleInsider sources have reported that new MacBook Pros will sport significant feature enhancements outside of the expected move to Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU and chipset architecture. The inclusion of Light Peak could also explain an earlier report that claimed the new notebooks would sport minor modifications to their chassis design.

Apple and Intel have been publicly working together to deploy Light Peak for years, with Intel first demonstrating the technology on a Mac desktop system. Apple reportedly asked Intel to develop a new cabling standard with the ability to handle "massive amounts of data," and serve as a replacement for a variety of ports now in use, including USB, Ethernet, FireWire, and DisplayPort.

Intel has aimed the technology at achieving 100Gbps throughput via light using fibre optic strands, reflected in the technology's moniker. But Apple is rumored to be using an electrical variant using copper wire that can achieve 10Gbps, and has filed patents that describe lower powered mobile versions suitable for devices like iPad.

One Apple patent depicted fibre optics and electrical conduits joined in a MagSafe connector, suggesting a universal port that could provide a variety of functions from supplying peripheral power to supporting very high speed data.

post #2 of 50
Pleeeeeeaaaaaase let this be true.

A prototype connector for LP was USB hybrid. That would be a good transition.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #3 of 50
Magsafe is designed to disconnect at the slightest bump (a good thing.) USB drives that are in the middle of being written to do not like to be disconnected. You get a warning from OS X every time you disconnect. Wonder how they'll resolve this one?
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Magsafe is designed to disconnect at the slightest bump (a good thing.) USB drives that are in the middle of being written to do not like to be disconnected. You get a warning from OS X every time you disconnect. Wonder how they'll resolve this one?

using magsafe for a few years now, never really had it accidentally disconnect.

Also the magsafe/Light Peak cable you see will probably be used for connecting between machines (macbook) and monitor (Cinema display/iMac).
post #5 of 50
FiNALLY!

One connection type to RULE! Please catch on and make our lives easier!!!!!!!!!! Die, die, die, hurry up and die: USB, Firewire (i still love you), 30pin connector, Display port, HDMI,etc!

Please!!!
post #6 of 50
Doesn't that report say they can open the crates at 130p, Paris Time?

Isn't that like 530a in CA?

So.. No event, just store.apple goes down at midnight Wednesday and then Thursday morning we get new MBPs?
17" iMac G4 1.25/2/0.08 | 15" uMBP C2D 2.4/4/1 | iPhone 3G/0.008 | iPad 2 3G/0.064
17" iMac G4 1.25/2/0.08 | 15" uMBP C2D 2.4/4/1 | iPhone 3G/0.008 | iPad 2 3G/0.064
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One Apple patent depicted fibre optics and electrical conduits joined in a MagSafe connector, suggesting a universal port that could provide a variety of functions from supplying peripheral power to supporting very high speed data.

I'm not tracking this ... are they saying high speed networking will be supplied through high volt power cables along with the power to supply computers? Or will the power wire have another wire attached to it somehow that handles the data?
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post

So.. No event, just store.apple goes down at midnight Wednesday and then Thursday morning we get new MBPs?

That assumes the shipment is product and not some big window to do.

And if it is product it is not new ipads
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and Intel have been publicly working together to deploy Light Peak for years, with Intel first demonstrating the technology on a Mac desktop system.

This reminds me of the days before FireWire when it seemed like it was being talked about for years before it finally showed up first on Apple.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #10 of 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

using magsafe for a few years now, never really had it accidentally disconnect.

Also the magsafe/Light Peak cable you see will probably be used for connecting between machines (macbook) and monitor (Cinema display/iMac).

I have tripped over and disconnected the wire several times. I think ihxo may be right that the patent plug we saw was probably just for power and video, not data. But if data also then Intel and Apple must have worked out some kind of buffer or failsafe to avoid data corruption in the event of a disconnect. My guess is that data connections will not be magnetic. Especially since Magsafe is proprietary and I don't think others will want to license it.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

FiNALLY!

One connection type to RULE! Please catch on and make our lives easier!!!!!!!!!! Die, die, die, hurry up and die: USB, Firewire (i still love you), 30pin connector, Display port, HDMI,etc!

Please!!!

lol I still love firewire too.
post #12 of 50
Does anyone know the affect that Light Peak will have on present USB and Firewire equipment, e.g., printers, external drives, speakers, electronic piano, flash drives. Or an external monitor? Thanks. Rick
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have tripped over and disconnected the wire several times.

yeah but you really need to kick it in order to get it off.

If the force is big enough to yank off a magsafe cable, it should be good enough to yank off a USB plug. The question is do you just want your data to die, or you want your USB port to go with it?
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I'm not tracking this ... are they saying high speed networking will be supplied through high volt power cables along with the power to supply computers? Or will the power wire have another wire attached to it somehow that handles the data?

I'll try a wild guess. Power brick has new magsafeLP connector. Laptop has *only* a magsafeLP connector. Power brick now has USB and FW jacks on it (possibly audio as well). Old magsafe bricks will still work, but would only power the laptop.

If I'm right (a very big if) than would suggest that currently unimplemented connector types (e.g. eSATA) would only require a new brick, and a driver on the MBP.

Pipe dreams, lets see what happens on Thursday,
post #15 of 50
How 20th century!

What happened to Ultra-Wideband?
post #16 of 50
So uh, what 3rd party accessories are ready to plug into it if is released with new laptops? It's great that a new high-speed connection is ready, but rather useless unless the ecosystem is healthy. But leave it to Apple, always a strong pioneer in new emerging standards.
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilae View Post

How 20th century!

What happened to Ultra-Wideband?

There are many good reasons to prefer a wired or optical connection. Security, reliability and freedom from interference come to mind. Not to mention the higher frequency networking standards are extremely limited by the physical world we live in.

In a nutshell wired or optical solutions won't go away anytime soon.
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post

What the hell is "130p" and "530a" ? Are we seriously supposed to start describing time that way now?

First we lost "noon" and "midnight," then it was all the "rds" and "ths" from dates, now we are too lazy to even write PM and AM? Maybe we should all start chewing on lead paint and forget how to read and write altogether.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have tripped over and disconnected the wire several times. I think ihxo may be right that the patent plug we saw was probably just for power and video, not data. But if data also then Intel and Apple must have worked out some kind of buffer or failsafe to avoid data corruption in the event of a disconnect. My guess is that data connections will not be magnetic. Especially since Magsafe is proprietary and I don't think others will want to license it.

I love the idea that they might be extending magsafe connections to data though. Apple invents so many fantastic things and patents them all but for the most part they get screwed over and copied. The magsafe connection is so unique, no one else will be able to (legally) do it and it will be nice to see Apple get ahead on it's own IP and to not have it's ideas stolen for a change. I hope they *don't* licence it to anyone at all.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiesl View Post

Does anyone know the affect that Light Peak will have on present USB and Firewire equipment, e.g., printers, external drives, speakers, electronic piano, flash drives. Or an external monitor? Thanks. Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So uh, what 3rd party accessories are ready to plug into it if is released with new laptops? It's great that a new high-speed connection is ready, but rather useless unless the ecosystem is healthy. But leave it to Apple, always a strong pioneer in new emerging standards.

I believe the talk around here is that the mag safe would have a brick that acted as a hub for your standard connections. The mag safe would be the only wire plugged into the laptop. Your peripherals would plug into the hub.
post #21 of 50
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

<<Monitor and drive ports
The HDMI and DisplayPort connectors require more than twice the 10 Gbit/s that Light Peak was proposed to include in its higher-end implementations very much higher than what commentators expect Copper Peak to be capable of. Given announcements that Intel would support DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4a exclusively, it seems unlikely that Light Peak will compete with them in the near future:

In December 2010 it was announced that Intel and AMD, with backing from various computer vendors, would stop supporting DVI-I, DVI-A, VGA and LVDS-LCD technologies from 2013/15[15]. IDC's figures show DisplayPort was on 5.1 percent of commercial desktops in 2009, but that figure will grow to 89.5 percent of them in 2014. In commercial notebooks, DisplayPort's penetration will increase from 2.1 percent in 2009 to 95 percent in 2014. Only 24.5 million of the 427 million laptops in users' hands in 2014 will be VGA-enabled, Daoud stated. Another 279 million will use HDMI, while 167 million will use DisplayPort. The vendors' joint announcement (to which Intel also consented) did not mention Light Peak at all:

Legacy interfaces such as VGA, DVI and LVDS have not kept pace, and newer standards such as DisplayPort and HDMI clearly provide the best connectivity options moving forward. In our opinion, DisplayPort 1.2 is the future interface for PC monitors, along with HDMI 1.4a for TV connectivity.
AMD, Dell, Intel Corporation, Lenovo, Samsung Electronics and LG[16] >>
post #22 of 50
Quote:

Are you Einstein? :-)
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What the hell is "130p" and "530a" ? Are we seriously supposed to start describing time that way now?

First we lost "noon" and "midnight," then it was all the "rds" and "ths" from dates, now we are too lazy to even write PM and AM? Maybe we should all start chewing on lead paint and forget how to read and write altogether.

Run out of meds, did ya'?
Perhaps the potser is from another country?
post #24 of 50
Quote:

What the hell is AM and PM? Oh, yeah, it's that ancient system the americans use....
post #25 of 50
Quote:

I find it oddly appropriate that the "professor" called me on this.

It's my preference.

if you'll excuse me, I have to go now; that lead paint won't chew itself.
post #26 of 50
Did they invite Gizmodo?!
post #27 of 50
Quote:

I love the idea that they might be extending magsafe connections to data though. Apple invents so many fantastic things and patents them all but for the most part they get screwed over and copied. The magsafe connection is so unique, no one else will be able to (legally) do it and it will be nice to see Apple get ahead on it's own IP and to not have it's ideas stolen for a change. I hope they *don't* licence it to anyone at all.

do you know how long the patents last? (how long apple retains exclusive rights to its IP) i've tried to find out before but had no success. an answer would be much appreciated.
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

do you know how long the patents last? (how long apple retains exclusive rights to its IP) i've tried to find out before but had no success. an answer would be much appreciated.

As far as I know a patent is valid for 20 years from the date it was filed.
post #29 of 50
Quote:

14-20 years. And it took me 14-20 seconds to find the answer with a Google search of 'how long do patents last?'

Sorry, but couldn't resist :P
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

14-20 years. And it took me 14-20 seconds to find the answer with a Google search of 'how long do patents last?'

Sorry, but couldn't resist :P

haha, i feel a bit foolish thanks for the responses, i'm surprised they last so long. it's good to know apple is going to reap so much benefit from its innovations. it'll be much less frustrating now watching apple's many imitators knowing that they can only get away with so much.
post #31 of 50
Mr. Raman( Nobel Winner) Invented this in 1930 with limited resources and it took us 80 years to bring it to fruition.
At last.

Wait till it goes to medicine.IV surgery with light peak laser is in near future.

Please see>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._V._Raman
post #32 of 50
Quote:

haha, i feel a bit foolish thanks for the responses, i'm surprised they last so long. it's good to know apple is going to reap so much benefit from its innovations. it'll be much less frustrating now watching apple's many imitators knowing that they can only get away with so much.

Alas the past 10 years have been a morass of patent litigation. It's not always clear what a patent will actually mean on the ground these days. MagSafe may be patented but it'd be interesting to see what would actually happen if someone decided to create their magnetic power cord. It's such a simple idea, it might not be a safe patent (I'm no lawyer, just pondering). To take it to the nth degree (I thought I'd best leave the 'th' in there as I have chewed all my lead for the day), you couldn't really patent the wheel because it's just too obvious.

I'd personally love to see a MagSafe data solution. I find FW800 cables very touchy, slightest knock and my Mac loses the drive. USB is very firm but therein lies the problem MagSafe is designed to solve.

One thing I can't help but wonder about LightPeak is...well...how needed is it on the consumer/'prosumer' level? Data overheads for even the highest quality 1080p video are way under the 480Mbps of USB2. It's undoubtedly superior technology but I just wonder what class of new accessory would it actually unlock that isn't already possible. I can only see two real-world uses for it; connection of multiple devices into a hub to be connected to the mac via a single LightPeak cable and the connection of a future solid state external hard disk. That's a very juicy idea, but nobody's really being held up by their data transfer speeds are they? 100MB/s too slow for you on your FW800?

Quite looking forward to Thursday now though!!
post #33 of 50
Quote:

Just incidentally, Apple filed the MagSafe patent in September 2005, so it's already 5.5 years into the 14-20 years. Time flies!
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Just incidentally, Apple filed the MagSafe patent in September 2005, so it's already 5.5 years into the 14-20 years. Time flies!

well at least that's still a long time to leave the competition in the lurch i like the idea of the power hub being able to handle any and all needs. but, it would also be nice to have a more universal, future proof, port that is so versatile. it would be cool if we could see it in action with the mystery port from the reputed iPad 2 cases.
post #35 of 50
Light Peak for ALL Apple products, please. I'd love to have the iPhone and iPods update in seconds for once.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiesl View Post

it's "effect".
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post

I believe the talk around here is that the mag safe would have a brick that acted as a hub for your standard connections. The mag safe would be the only wire plugged into the laptop. Your peripherals would plug into the hub.

So we're finally going back to having our peripheral cables on the floor? That's where my power bricks all are. While that's an awesome arrangement for a desktop that never moves it's less than ideal for a mobile computer. I can just see guys in expensive suits crawling around under their desks disconnecting all their peripherals so they can take their power brick with them to a meeting.
post #38 of 50
Quote:

Depends what filesystem you have. DONT use fat, always use a journaled file system. Yes even on USB-drives like USB-sticks.

As a sidenote to this I use NTFS on sticks for cross compatibility. Paradox NTFS driver for my macs (they changed name to NTFS for mac). Works without a hickup.
post #39 of 50
Hopefully Light Peak will have these features (at least for Mac):

- Bootable.
- Power on to turn on Mac via keyboard (as former ADB and previous USB) or dongles (as i-Cue did with USB).
- Target Disk Mode (as Firewire).
- Daisy-chain devices.
post #40 of 50
I am most eager to start investigating the read and write speeds that this might make available for external storage devices. I suppose that external enclosures will have to catch up before we start seeing suitable external devices.
At the moment I have 2 Sata2 drives connected to my MBP, anything better than that and more convenient than that will be awesome beyond belief.
Also would like to see this on iMac in future - I'ld get an iMac if it had this - FW and USB is just not good enough for HD video.
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to debut Light Peak alongside Apple's new MacBook Pros Thursday