or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Survey finds consumers believe Apple is bigger than its CEO, Steve Jobs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Survey finds consumers believe Apple is bigger than its CEO, Steve Jobs

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
If Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs were to leave Apple, it would not have a material impact on customers' buying intentions, a new survey has found.

RBC Capital Markets and ChangeWave recently conducted a survey of 3,091 respondents between Jan. 31 and Feb. 9, asking them about a hypothetical scenario in which Jobs might depart Apple, the company he co-founded. Of those surveyed, 93 percent said they would likely continue buying Apple's products or would not actively change their purchasing decisions if Jobs were not at the helm.

The latest results are a change from June 2008, when a previous survey found that 18 percent of respondents said they would be less likely to buy Apple products if Steve Jobs were not with the company.

Analyst Mike Abramsky said the results show that Apple may be bigger than its CEO. Consumers may now have a higher comfort about the company without Jobs at the helm than they did in the past, thanks in part to its success in 2009 with Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook at the helm.

The last time Jobs was on medical leave, the company's stock rose 144 percent, revenue increased by 20 percent, and the company shipped 25 million iPhones.



After Jobs announced in January that he would take a medical leave of absence but remain CEO, investors have been concerned about the possibility of Apple without Jobs at the helm. But many analysts on Wall Street believe that Apple has a deep bench of executive talent that is qualified to lead the company into the future.

Abramsky said the new survey could show that Apple has transitioned in the minds of consumers over the past few years into a company that isn't just about Jobs, its charismatic leader and chief salesman.

"Consumers have had 3 years to evolve their perception of the Apple brand around its creative new products, cutting edge innovation, iTunes/App Store ecosystem and premium quality positioning -- beyond the buying pull of Apple's iconic CEO," he said.
post #2 of 42
Steve has built an incredible team and an incredible culture that will endure for a long long time. Not to mention the amazing pipeline that we can expect to keep flowing with surprises for both us, and the competition.
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Steve has built an incredible team and an incredible culture that will endure for a long long time. Not to mention the amazing pipeline that we can expect to keep flowing with surprises for both us, and the competition.

I think that pretty much sums it up. I'll definitely keep buying Apple's products as long as the quality, service and ownership experience remain the same or better (with or without SJ).
post #4 of 42
What a moronic survey.

No one buys Apple stuff because they are Steve Jobs fans. They buy Apple stuff because it's generally awesome, and Steve is a big part of that. Would you ask a Starbuck's addict if they would stop going to Starbucks if [whoever the CEO/founder is] left the company? Of course not. Would they stop going if, after he left, the coffee wasn't as good? Of course.

Public opinion polling in this case is pointless.
post #5 of 42
Kind of an odd survey. Why would anyone stop buying products from a company simply because the CEO changes, holding all else constant? That would be weird.

The bigger issue is whether the exit of Jobs affects the desirability of future (not current) Apple products, due to the lack of his input. That's something that nobody knows for sure, but we can all guess about.

My guess, as I've said before, is that the exit of Jobs might have a short term (next 2-5 years) positive effect as Apple starts to introduce products that people want, but that Jobs wouldn't ship. In the longer term, though, the negative effects of his absence might be felt as Apple *might* start to lose strategic vision/focus. But who knows.... it just really depends on the individuals who run the company after he leaves, and it's very hard to predict how that will go.
post #6 of 42
Jobs absence has already impacted the company. This is evidenced by the fact that there have been no major moves from the company since Jobs took leave. Seems like an extended period compared to Apples norm. The last major announcement (Verizon gets iPhone 4) came just before his temporary departure. Certainly, Apple will continue to operate when Jobs leave, but it will probably transition to a more traditional operation versus a pioneer of the industry.
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by app_agent01 View Post

Jobs absence has already impacted the company. This is evidenced by the fact that there have been no major moves from the company since Jobs took leave. Seems like an extended period compared to Apples norm. The last major announcement (Verizon gets iPhone 4) came just before his temporary departure. Certainly, Apple will continue to operate when Jobs leave, but it will probably transition to a more traditional operation versus a pioneer of the industry.

The guy has been out for 5 1/2 weeks and you're surprised that there have been no major moves?!? I highly doubt this is any real indicator. What are they supposed to do, announce something every other week? Sure, the iPad2 announcement seems a bit overdue if you compare it to last year, but then here were are, potentially as little as a day away from some major announcements with more to follow (allegedly) next week.
post #8 of 42
deleted
post #9 of 42
The issue is this: In an Apple without Jobs, who runs the company and what impact will that have? If the Board doesn't give it to Tim Cook, I suspect he'd leave the company and become CEO at a competitor. But if they give it to Tim Cook, who by all accounts is a great operations guy, would Apple still maintain the vision that it has had under Jobs?

But if a new CEO is brought in, chances are whoever it is will want to reshape Apple in their own image, since these people usually have enormous egos. The last time that happened, Apple wound up unable to produce a new OS and with about six confusing, redundant lines of Mac computers (Centris, Performa, etc.)

Furthermore, if a new CEO is brought in, would that CEO get along with Jonathan Ive, who in some respects, might be more important to Apple than Cook (and maybe even Jobs)? If Ive were to leave, I think that could prove disasterous for the company.

But a new CEO might also bring certain advantages to Apple. With the right person, perhaps Apple would become a bit more responsive and a bit less arrogant.

As for the consumer survey, of course it makes no sense, because people's reactions are based upon the products Apple is producing now. But with Jobs gone, within five years, Apple might be producing completely different products that aren't as exciting. And in that case, they could lose interest in Apple's products. But if Apple did lose vision and started creating less exciting products, who would all the competitors copy from?
post #10 of 42
junk without the influence of Steve's RDF?
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Steve has built an incredible team and an incredible culture that will endure for a long long time. Not to mention the amazing pipeline that we can expect to keep flowing with surprises for both us, and the competition.

That is what the last CEO of Apple thought!!! Steve is either a genius, or he is not. If he is, then the loss of him with definitely negatively effect the company over the long run.
post #12 of 42
I would still buy apple products even if the CEO of the company were to change.
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What a moronic survey.

No one buys Apple stuff because they are Steve Jobs fans. They buy Apple stuff because it's generally awesome, and Steve is a big part of that. Would you ask a Starbuck's addict if they would stop going to Starbucks if [whoever the CEO/founder is] left the company? Of course not. Would they stop going if, after he left, the coffee wasn't as good? Of course.

Public opinion polling in this case is pointless.

Dude, its not a "moronic" survey because all the rumors out there keep traders believing AAPL is a fad based, impulsive, subjective and risky stock.

The more evidence we have that Apple sales depend mostly/purely on the quality of the product and service, the better.

I welcome this survey and hope that many more put Wall Street back on track. Apple is not a toy company and its time that the stock stops suffering from the rock star syndrome. We all love Steve, but corporations are are much more than the weight of their CEOs.
post #14 of 42
Any company can do fine without their CEO when things are booming. Apple did fine after Jobs launched the Mac and was then fired. 12 years later Apple was near bankruptcy. Jobs then came back and rescued the company with his leadership. If Apple loses Steve Jobs, how well will they be doing 12 years from now?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What a moronic survey.

No one buys Apple stuff because they are Steve Jobs fans. They buy Apple stuff because it's generally awesome, and Steve is a big part of that. Would you ask a Starbuck's addict if they would stop going to Starbucks if [whoever the CEO/founder is] left the company? Of course not. Would they stop going if, after he left, the coffee wasn't as good? Of course.

Public opinion polling in this case is pointless.

You may be correct in one sense (common sense) but the fact remains the Apple haters and competition (and probably stock manipulators) try their best to make the link all the time thus ensuring every report of Steve's health is a negative for AAPL. Of course if SJ were not sick this entire discussion would not be taking place.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What a moronic survey.

No one buys Apple stuff because they are Steve Jobs fans. They buy Apple stuff because it's generally awesome, and Steve is a big part of that. Would you ask a Starbuck's addict if they would stop going to Starbucks if [whoever the CEO/founder is] left the company? Of course not. Would they stop going if, after he left, the coffee wasn't as good? Of course.

Public opinion polling in this case is pointless.

You are simply wrong (and your sarcasm is unnecessary) and obviously don't read the Apple forums. There are plenty of people out there who practically worship Steve Jobs. I am not saying the number is a high percentage of all sales of Apple products, but it isn't zero percent.

Your analogy comparing Starbucks to Apple is in error as well. Most folks don't know who the Starbucks CEO is....I don't and I frequent Starbucks at least three times a week. People know who Steve Jobs is and some equate the viability of the company to him and him alone.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by app_agent01 View Post

Jobs absence has already impacted the company. This is evidenced by the fact that there have been no major moves from the company since Jobs took leave. Seems like an extended period compared to Apples norm. The last major announcement (Verizon gets iPhone 4) came just before his temporary departure. Certainly, Apple will continue to operate when Jobs leave, but it will probably transition to a more traditional operation versus a pioneer of the industry.

I agree with you in that Apple will not innovate like it does now. I have been an Apple customers since 1984 and have watched Apple nearly die several times. If Steve Jobs hadn't saved the company (bile rising in my throat) Apple would be nothing compared to today. Not all is Steve's doing, though. The iPod really only succeeded thanks to Sony's hubris and ineptitude in the digital music scene. Sony could have kept control, but they just GAVE it away to anyone who was willing to take a change....enter Apple and its iPod. The smartest move Apple had was supporting the iPod on Windows PCs. Sony was doomed in the U.S. after that.

Once Jobs leaves (either through passing away or just permanently due to his health) I am afraid Apple will stop innovating and just coast along until someone at Apple, thanks to ineptitude or hubris, makes a mistake that starts a chain of events that leads Apple down the path Sony took. People don't learn from history.

I hope I am wrong...but people are generally forgetful of history and/or they think it won't apply to them. Finally, customers are fickle...Apple will loose favor in a generation, just as with Sony.

Enjoy it while it lasts (which could be another 10 to 20 years).
post #18 of 42
I'd bet Apple put this survey out there either to see what would happen IF Steve stepped down or because they KNOW he's stepping down.
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Any company can do fine without their CEO when things are booming. Apple did fine after Jobs launched the Mac and was then fired. 12 years later Apple was near bankruptcy. Jobs then came back and rescued the company with his leadership. If Apple loses Steve Jobs, how well will they be doing 12 years from now?

I think Apple had lots of problems by the time they ousted Jobs in 1985. Sculley was able to grow the company in terms of revenue, but it came with high costs. He was a disaster for Apple and started their tailspin within a few years. 1
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

But a new CEO might also bring certain advantages to Apple.With the right person, perhaps Apple would become a bit more responsive and a bit less arrogant.

Really? Aside from the fact that your premise about responsiveness and arrogance is complete nonsense, even if these behavioral traits were true of Apple, how exactly has the company been hurt? Are they unable to attract good human capital? Or developers? Is their stock performing poorly? Are they unable to sell their products? Is their customer base defecting (and market share falling)? Are their suppliers bolting? Are they bottom of the pile in customer surveys? Is their ability to innovate somehow compromised?
post #21 of 42
Without Jobs at the helm, it will be harder for Apple to get away with dick moves. As a consequence, fewer dick moves will be attempted and fewer will be successful.
post #22 of 42
Great many customers are new to apple, even greater number of customers know nothing of Apple history. Personally, if Steve himself doesn't introduce someone that he believes should lead Apple thats going to be an end to my Apple use. This happened one before...
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Great many customers are new to apple, even greater number of customers know nothing of Apple history. Personally, if Steve himself doesn't introduce someone that he believes should lead Apple thats going to be an end to my Apple use. This happened one before...

I won't jump ship so quickly, but I will be MUCH more cautious when it comes to buying new Apple hardware and software. If things look good 3 -5 years after Jobs leaves I will reinvest in new hardware considering all of my Macs are less than a year old.
post #24 of 42
That is only because of what Steve has made Apple into what it is today! He changed the world and made people love 'change'.
Even if he leaves, the people loving the change will always stick to it, I will not want Steve to go away, even if he does, I will still buy Apple products, he has nurtured the team. Most of the credit goes to him anyway. He made technology aesthetically intrigue consumers!
God bless Steve!
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

The guy has been out for 5 1/2 weeks and you're surprised that there have been no major moves?!? I highly doubt this is any real indicator. What are they supposed to do, announce something every other week? Sure, the iPad2 announcement seems a bit overdue if you compare it to last year, but then here were are, potentially as little as a day away from some major announcements with more to follow (allegedly) next week.

Then why is it every time there is a negative Steve Jobs rumor, the stock drops like a hot rock? I woudn't think a simple rumor should cause a sell-off panic, but it does. I don't know what consumers think, but somebody that's trading Apple stock is sweating over every little Steve Jobs detail. I don't sell off my Apple stock on rumors, but there must be a lot of investors that do. Anyone with common sense should just ignore the rumors since Steve rumors happen quite often. Apple has gotten kicked around in the last week and it's likely the Steve rumors, so go figure. Will the stock go up much with the iPad announcement or MacBook intro? I doubt it.

Apple share price was already lagging well behind median target price a week ago, and now it's even further behind. For such a fundamentally strong stock, it appears as volatile as it ever was.
post #26 of 42
Hey.....nobody asked me, besides "Jack Daniel's" died a long time ago. It didn't stop me from enjoying his product.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple share price was already lagging well behind median target price a week ago, and now it's even further behind. For such a fundamentally strong stock, it appears as volatile as it ever was.

There was just as much volatility last August-September when APPL dropped over 8.5% when SJ was in so go figure. Meanwhile, it hits a record high a few weeks ago, but apparently it's lagging well behind.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What a moronic survey.

No one buys Apple stuff because they are Steve Jobs fans. They buy Apple stuff because it's generally awesome, and Steve is a big part of that. Would you ask a Starbuck's addict if they would stop going to Starbucks if [whoever the CEO/founder is] left the company? Of course not. Would they stop going if, after he left, the coffee wasn't as good? Of course.

Public opinion polling in this case is pointless.

That's a bad analogy. The CEO for Starbucks didn't make anything groundbreaking. He's overpriced a product that grows on trees and can be purchased elsewhere, if it weren't for the free wifi who'd go there? My question is "Can Apple keep introducing great new products without Steve Jobs there?"
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I won't jump ship so quickly, but I will be MUCH more cautious when it comes to buying new Apple hardware and software. If things look good 3 -5 years after Jobs leaves I will reinvest in new hardware considering all of my Macs are less than a year old.

Can I get that in writing. Your planing what decisions your going to make 5 years from now.
A Lame statement from .....What? "lamewing".
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Hey.....nobody asked me, besides "Jack Daniel's" died a long time ago. It didn't stop me from enjoying his product.

Oh great now we're comparing the spirits market to the tech market. Lol. JD will never become obsolete or need a refresh. Maybe just maybe a lil bit of Coke but that's it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

The guy has been out for 5 1/2 weeks and you're surprised that there have been no major moves?!? I highly doubt this is any real indicator. What are they supposed to do, announce something every other week? Sure, the iPad2 announcement seems a bit overdue if you compare it to last year, but then here were are, potentially as little as a day away from some major announcements with more to follow (allegedly) next week.


I agree. I remember along time ago Steve said there would be something new or announced every 6 months. So far it's been pretty close to that.
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Oh great now we're comparing the spirits market to the tech market. Lol. JD will never become obsolete or need a refresh. Maybe just maybe a lil bit of Coke but that's it.

Hey, the tech market sometimes drives the spirit's market.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by app_agent01 View Post

Jobs' absence has already impacted the company. This is evidenced by the fact that there have been no major moves from the company since Jobs took leave. <blah blah blah>

Me smells a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What a moronic survey.

No one buys Apple stuff because they are Steve Jobs fans. They buy Apple stuff because it's generally awesome, and Steve is a big part of that.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Kind of an odd survey. Why would anyone stop buying products from a company simply because the CEO changes, holding all else constant? That would be weird.

I'm willing to bet that the average Apple customer doesn't even know who is CEO of Apple. Mostly, only those of us who follow Apple closely know this. Do you know who are the CEOs of the companies who made your car, refrigerator, TV, shoes, gardening tools, lawn mower, washing machine, etc.? It's not something most people think about before they buy a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Dude, its not a "moronic" survey because all the rumors out there keep traders believing AAPL is a fad based, impulsive, subjective and risky stock.

The more evidence we have that Apple sales depend mostly/purely on the quality of the product and service, the better.

I welcome this survey and hope that many more put Wall Street back on track. Apple is not a toy company and its time that the stock stops suffering from the rock star syndrome. We all love Steve, but corporations are are much more than the weight of their CEOs.

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You may be correct in one sense (common sense) but the fact remains the Apple haters and competition (and probably stock manipulators) try their best to make the link all the time thus ensuring every report of Steve's health is a negative for AAPL. Of course if SJ were not sick this entire discussion would not be taking place.

Praise the Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Great many customers are new to apple, even greater number of customers know nothing of Apple history.

And even more don't care. They just like the products, and judge them on their merits, not their pedigree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Hey.....nobody asked me, besides "Jack Daniel's" died a long time ago. It didn't stop me from enjoying his product.

Ah, but his product is one which improves with age!
post #34 of 42
Apple without Jobs would do fine for quite a while. Medium term, I don't think there's cause for concern. But how many CEOs are so anal about thinness and 'lines' and the look and feel of products? Apple invested a ton of $ in the manufacturing of their sleep laptops. Carved out of a block of aluminum....slick.

However, down the road, they could be saddled with a CEO who doesn't see the logic in innovating through a downturn and instead of investing and innovating their way through it, as Apple has done, chooses to cut unnecessary costs (like building laptops out of carved aluminum blocks).

Vision and passion are critical for Apple, long term. I hope they pick wisely. One day, Steve will be gone. I hope the ethos is firmly embedded.

And who knows... might Apple luck out and strike gold twice in a row?
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

That is what the last CEO of Apple thought!!! Steve is either a genius, or he is not. If he is, then the loss of him with definitely negatively effect the company over the long run.

The difference is last time Steve was forced out.
I am 100% confident that the leaving of Steve will not be anything like it was last time.
Steve has "his guys" in all of the right places.
post #36 of 42
It took a few years for John Sculley to derail the company and set it adrift, so Steve's departure would have little immediate affect, particularly with products already in the pipeline. But give it a few years and Apple will lose its way. OS X will slowly fall behind. Promises will be made and broken (Copland), Macs will go back to beige plastic boxes, users will switch to Windows and Android. Eventually, Apple will chase their competitors and stop innovating. Ten year after Jobs. Except no one will save Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #37 of 42
Quote:
If Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs were to leave Apple, it would not have a material impact on customers' buying intentions, a new survey has found.

RBC Capital Markets and ChangeWave recently conducted a survey of 3,091 respondents between Jan. 31 and Feb. 9, asking them about a hypothetical scenario in which Jobs might depart Apple, the company he co-founded. Of those surveyed, 93 percent said they would likely continue buying Apple's products or would not actively change their purchasing decisions if Jobs were not at the helm.


Most people have no idea and no interest in knowing who is the Chief Executive Officer and President of Apple inc., just as they don't know who leads big companies like K-Mart, General Motors, Cisco, etc.

Only the delusional fans of Apple inc. ever believed that every good idea and invention originated from the mind of Steve Jobs, a high school graduate who was in the habit of saying that he didn't want to talk to or hire any employee who had not experienced LSD, the psychotropic drug Steve Jobs used in his twenties and which is now blamed for his pancreatic cancer.

For anyone who needs background info on Steve Jobs, see the 2008 Fortune Magazine Editorial:

"The trouble with Steve Jobs" @ http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/02/news...tune/index.htm


Steve Jobs is a great salesman widely acknowledged for his famous 'Reality Distortion Field'. He is the co-founder of Apple inc. and it's CEO since Apple bought NeXT Computers, the other company he founded.

Steve Jobs supervised the transition to Mac OS X and then, the transition to Intel processors. It is quite possible that he was the best person to lead both transitions away from the old Apple. Steve Jobs served Apple to the best of his abilities, abilities he derived from a high school education, and we must thank him for that.

A CEO's appointment is not a lifetime appointment, and only a stale company would never change its CEO until his death. Sadly, many business opportunities were lost due to the staleness of Apple's Board of directors and Apple's executives.

Change is the only constant of life. Change is needed to adapt, expand and survive in a changing world, a changing business environment. Apple resisted change for too long, suffered from a bad business strategy for too long. Change is needed.


\\\
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The issue is this: In an Apple without Jobs, who runs the company and what impact will that have? If the Board doesn't give it to Tim Cook, I suspect he'd leave the company and become CEO at a competitor. But if they give it to Tim Cook, who by all accounts is a great operations guy, would Apple still maintain the vision that it has had under Jobs?

Cook probably already accounts for much of the "vision" within Apple - it frees Jobs to concentrate on products (which is what I assume you meant above). However, people continually overlook that Cook's bachelor's degree is in Industrial Design. Will he have the same vision as Jobs? Probably not, but he also will not be clueless to design-led engineering.

I also believe that most of the design inspiration comes from Jonathan Ive. What worries me most is that he might choose to leave a Jobs-less Apple which I do think would severely impact Apple's product vision.
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Then why is it every time there is a negative Steve Jobs rumor, the stock drops like a hot rock? I woudn't think a simple rumor should cause a sell-off panic, but it does. I don't know what consumers think, but somebody that's trading Apple stock is sweating over every little Steve Jobs detail. I don't sell off my Apple stock on rumors, but there must be a lot of investors that do. Anyone with common sense should just ignore the rumors since Steve rumors happen quite often. Apple has gotten kicked around in the last week and it's likely the Steve rumors, so go figure. Will the stock go up much with the iPad announcement or MacBook intro? I doubt it.

Apple share price was already lagging well behind median target price a week ago, and now it's even further behind. For such a fundamentally strong stock, it appears as volatile as it ever was.

I think much of the movement in Apple's stock price over the last week revolves around a fairly continuous negative narrative relative to Apple's in-app purchasing and the way that they are dealing with partners. As a stockholder, this is what has me worried. People have been rather glib when considering the impact of the loss of major App Store partners but this actually worries me.

What is so funny is that many of the "Apple is right" posters have in the past agreed with DED in his reporting of Microsoft's PlaysForSure failure and the way partnerships were mishandled. Is there some possibility that Apple is now repeating this mistake in some fashion? Healthy partnerships are vital to Apple. Some partners are now publicly questioning the value and reliability of Apple as a partner. That has probably had far more to do with recent stock movements.

Hopefully, the announcements over the next few weeks will change the narrative back to Apple's excellent products.
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Apple without Jobs would do fine for quite a while. Medium term, I don't think there's cause for concern. But how many CEOs are so anal about thinness and 'lines' and the look and feel of products? Apple invested a ton of $ in the manufacturing of their sleep laptops. Carved out of a block of aluminum....slick.

However, down the road, they could be saddled with a CEO who doesn't see the logic in innovating through a downturn and instead of investing and innovating their way through it, as Apple has done, chooses to cut unnecessary costs (like building laptops out of carved aluminum blocks).

Vision and passion are critical for Apple, long term. I hope they pick wisely. One day, Steve will be gone. I hope the ethos is firmly embedded.

And who knows... might Apple luck out and strike gold twice in a row?

I think most of the design concepts you mentioned were, in fact, sprang from the mind of Jonathan Ive. Yes, Steve endorsed these design concepts and encouraged going the extra step but I doubt the ideas themselves came from Jobs.

I do worry that Ive might choose to leave a Jobs-less Apple.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Survey finds consumers believe Apple is bigger than its CEO, Steve Jobs