or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2

Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2 - Page 2

post #41 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAnonymousBlackmail View Post

Will it cost me 30% of my salary to attend?

Why? Did they invite you? Otherwise, don't worry about it. Press events are free.
post #42 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Are you saying the phrase is grammatically incorrect, or that it just sounds bad? I agree they could have chosen their words more thoughtfully, but I believe it is technically correct.

Of course, I will freely admit it has been a few years since my last English class.

Technically, you shouldn't end a sentence in a preposition. So for those of us who love the English language for its regaled beauty, "Come see of what 2011 will be the year" is preferred. However, for those of us who more so love the English language for its flexibility, ease of evolution and expressibility, and appreciate the beauty of slang, the phrase is just fine. Have it how you like.
post #43 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

a basic rule of good composition is do not end a sentence with the word "of." that's why it even sounds clumsy. even a headline writer would not do it. better to at least put "year of" in quotes, or perhaps best, end the phrase with 3 dots (...) instead of a period.

but ... this is hype. so all that matters is whether it works to incite media interest. and it certainly will.

Yup. Remember what a disaster the grammatically incorrect 'Think Different' campaign was.
post #44 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A good anti-reflective surface would be interesting. I mean something that changes the surface index of refraction, not add an undesirable surface texture.

I think the reason Apple likes the reflective glass, particularly on iPads, is that a matte surface is much more 'present' than a reflective one. In most situations, it doesn't disappear as much (at least to my eyes.) In other words, other than when off (clearly producing a shiny black mirror) a very clear glass gives the impression that you're looking 'into' the device rather than at it. With matte (at least for me) I'm always aware that I'm looking at the glass, not at the content.

Its sort of like good 3D vs bad 3D. In bad 3D, objects are jumping out of the frame at you. In good 3D (i.e. Avatar) its more that you're looking 'through' the frame into a 3D world.

The whole idea of Apple's minimalist hardware on the iPad is to make it transform into whatever you're doing at the time.

There are obviously use cases where matte is better than reflective. I just think Apple is betting that reflective pleases a greater number of people.
post #45 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

The announcement graphic is a little weird doesn't the screen look extremely reflective? Maybe we're getting a MORE reflective screen?

I'm IN! I've been begging for a more reflective screen from the beginning!
post #46 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If...

Again.. Apple released 3 out of the 4 iPhones in Jun. They usually target Jun so they can include the sales revenues and numbers in the quarter. I don't why you think it will be April or even May. Developers need time to work with future and current updates. WWDC is expected to be held between Jun 5th to 9th.. the same time frame every year and every year Apple announce the new iPhone during WWDC.
post #47 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Dear Apple,

Please, please, please, don't screw over Canada this time with the release dates, thanks.

Where's Canada?
post #48 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Why do people feel compelled to explain their purchasing decisions? Who cares if you buy it or not? Not trying to flame you dude but really, who cares? Don't buy it. More for those that will.

I think it's interesting, because we get an idea of what people are thinking, and what is this thread all about if that isn't the purpose?
post #49 of 169
Quote:

a basic rule of good composition is do not end a sentence with the word "of." that's why it even sounds clumsy. even a headline writer would not do it. better to at least put "year of" in quotes, or perhaps best, end the phrase with 3 dots (...) instead of a period.

but ... this is hype. so all that matters is whether it works to incite media interest. and it certainly will.

I Think it was done on purpose. It actually draws you in more the way they wrote it.

Carl Reiner, the comedian and director, used to say things like; "That's the kind of guy I'm." Technically he was correct, but not with a common way of expressing it. But you remembered him saying it.
post #50 of 169
Boy, it seems insane to have an iPad2 in the spring and an iPad3 in the fall. I guess they can make an iPadPro that is geared more toward the corporate/professional market, perhaps coming loaded with productivity software and the ability to remote-wipe the device. Probably reverting back to an aluminum case, but this time with a kickstand and swype keyboard and a Microvision Pico projector built into it...
post #51 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenW View Post

Actually, it's perfectly written. It would be awkward if it weren't a rebuttal to Google's earlier claim. But it packs a punch and gets its message across effectively. One could argue the old "never end with a preposition" saw, but that has been largely discredited. Furthermore, even the most pedantic grammar teachers argue that you can violate any rule if you have a good reason to do so.

And finally, this is the "Think Different" company. That worked out pretty well.

Agreed!
post #52 of 169
No higher pixel density? No thank you. I've disliked the current display every since the iphone 4 was released. I'd rather read stuff on that tiny screen than the ipad at it's current resolution
post #53 of 169
Is this supposed to be a play on the lunar new year/chinese zodiac? (Year of the Rabbit, Year of the Ox, etc.)

More than the iPad 2 itself (which I am seriously considering), I am interested in a preview of iOS 5.
post #54 of 169
Quote:

The answer is highly dependent upon how many burgers you are able to flip per hour at your current job.
post #55 of 169
I'll be getting one of these iPad2's as soon as they're available!

As for the people and the whiners who won't be getting one, good for you! Who cares!

post #56 of 169
It's always interesting to see what Apple has in store for us, but as we learned with the 3gs and even 4g, not every release will be a "revolution."

I think a sharper screen, along with larger storage space (maybe even expandable?) is what we'll see on the hardware side while the biggest improvements lie in the software.
post #57 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Nah... its just a different proposition with a creatively dangled preposition.

Everybody appreciates creative dangling.
post #58 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Why do people feel compelled to explain their purchasing decisions? Who cares if you buy it or not? Not trying to flame you dude but really, who cares? Don't buy it. More for those that will.

I've often wondered that myself, or when an individual boldly states "I'm not wasting my money on X!" or telling a company (that will never know) "You've just lost a customer! I'm switching to...". It probably comes from a need to justify your money choices as sound and smart. (And it's something we all invariably do, but yeah, it is pointless on a message forum).
post #59 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

And we care that you are getting one?

Well, this is a thread about the new iPad2!

It makes sense that people who are actually getting one would reply and be interested in the news.

You're not going to find me on an android forum saying "I am so not getting this android tablet!".
post #60 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I think we are screwed again...i hope not as Apple has had time to build their inventory base.

Yeah, I think they figure that we will all just drive down and get one from the USA or something, but almost no one I know goes down there since 9-11 and all the naked searches and gunplay at the border and so forth.
post #61 of 169
Ah but what is it peeling back to reveal?

The maps icon they have only used for iOS roadmap. It is the big news perhaps
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #62 of 169
A preposition is bad to end a sentence with.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #63 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, I think they figure that we will all just drive down and get one from the USA or something, but almost no one I know goes down there since 9-11 and all the naked searches and gunplay at the border and so forth.

No, I think that Apple just prioritizes what is important. And Canada is simply not important in the big scheme of things, it's nothing personal. It's called making an intelligent business decision.
post #64 of 169
Clearly this is mostly an iOS 5 preview....Apple is not so arrogant as to think a speed bump and cameras are what "2011 is All About"
post #65 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Here we go. You guys would read into shit on a string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What KIND of string...?

What kind of shit? Same old shit, or really great shit?
I just came back from the Turd Museum, they have some great shit there...
post #66 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Boy, it seems insane to have an iPad2 in the spring and an iPad3 in the fall. I guess they can make an iPadPro that is geared more toward the corporate/professional market, perhaps coming loaded with productivity software and the ability to remote-wipe the device. Probably reverting back to an aluminum case, but this time with a kickstand and swype keyboard and a Microvision Pico projector built into it...

Or, nothing like that whatsoever. iPad 2 is a minor bump, and iPad 3 in spring 2012 will be better.

Sorry.
post #67 of 169
For a lot of people who don't care, you all seem to care deeply about letting others know how you feel.

I'm loving my current iPad and it's on the market now to fund the cost of the new one I'll be picking up. Can't wait to see what iOS 5.0 has too (even though it may not be announced Tuesday, it's sure to add a lot of new functionality).
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #68 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Technically, you shouldn't end a sentence in a preposition. So for those of us who love the English language for its regaled beauty, "Come see of what 2011 will be the year" is preferred. However, for those of us who more so love the English language for its flexibility, ease of evolution and expressibility, and appreciate the beauty of slang, the phrase is just fine. Have it how you like.

Yeah. Also, if it was worded correctly (as per your example) it would be unreadable nonsense, so the slightly incorrect grammar is definitely preferred.

People forget also that advertising copy is not proper English and never has been. Traditionally, a huge amount of leeway is given advertising agencies since their very business is inventive wordplay.

If it was a headline in a newspaper it's time to get upset, when it's an advert ... not so much.
post #69 of 169
Quote:

btw, that is a terribly written phrase.

As others mentioned above, I thought the same thing. Not good to end a sentence with a preposition (of). I learned that in the 4th grade.

Looking forward to finally getting an iPad.
post #70 of 169
Just musing on the numbers here but perhaps the "2" is part of the marketing.

iPad 2 is:

- twice as fast
- two processors
- two graphics chips
- double the resolution (unlikely I know)
- half the weight?
- half the depth?

etc. etc. (and perhaps originally intended to be released on February 2nd? (2-2-11)
post #71 of 169
I think the clue is in the picture. It will be the year of a new Calendar app.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #72 of 169
Quote:

My point wasn't that you are getting one just some may have a logical and rational reason for not updating at this time.

I'm sure that some people do have rational reasons. If somebody already owns an iPad1 and they're happy with it and they'd be ok with using it for one more year until iPad3, that's understandable. Not everybody is going to get every new revision each time it comes out. Money doesn't grow on trees of course.

I'm laughing at the people who say they aren't getting one because it doesn't have a "retina display" or whatever other unrealistic expectations that they may have.
post #73 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Where's Canada?

Somewhere close to the north pole I think. I know there are polar bears and Eskimos there, so I think it's north-ish.
post #74 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

The announcement graphic is a little weird doesn't the screen look extremely reflective? Maybe we're getting a MORE reflective screen?

Maybe it's a comparative before and after pic. The iPad 1 reflective screen on the right versus the iPad 2 screen on the left?
post #75 of 169
Quote:

"Come See What 2011 Will Be The Year Of" implies a lot more will be hyped than just iPad 2. after all, it will be the year of iPhone 5 and OS X Lion too, and whatever else Apple has up its sleeve. so hope to hear about a lot of stuff!

btw, that is a terribly written phrase.

and ... here comes the media frenzy. with that open-ended come-on, the Apple guessing game may hit an all time high.

"Will you walk into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly;
"'Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you may spy.
The way into my parlor is up a winding stair,
And I have many curious things to show when you are there."
"Oh no, no," said the little fly; "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #76 of 169
Quote:

Yes, please send the check to me and i will take care of it.
post #77 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think the clue is in the picture. It will be the year of a new Calendar app.

Or calendar like apps (which updates content). I am guessing might have to do with the widgets or notification. It will good if they have done something on this in the next iOS release.
post #78 of 169
Quote:

I wonder how the battery life is going to hold up with the boost in specs.

I remember SJ saying that the A4 chip does consume very little power and it was the display that was a power drain. This is not a surprise. If they can somehow reduce the display power consumption then they can get the 10+ hours battery life even with a dual core processor. A slightly bigger battery will also help.
post #79 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I disagree. They are saying "come see what 2011 will be the year of".

Possible. Or, they'll announce the new MacBook Pros and the new iPad - with no iOS 5 preview?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #80 of 169
Quote:

So....

...It is grammatically correct to say:

"With this shit, I will not up with put"?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2