or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2

Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2 - Page 3

post #81 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iOS 5 will be previewed in April or May.

LOL!

Wrong.

It will be previewed on March 2nd.

Can you imagine how incredibly lame iPad 2's introduction would be if there was no glimpse what it will be able to do come the Fall?

Yea, they'll spend an hour and a half saying its faster thinner and has cameras. Big frigging deal.

Did you even look at the invite? 2011 is the year of what? iOS 5, thats what. iOS 5 as it relates to iPad 2 is one of the most significant things happening this year. Clearly, CLEARLY, this is what the invite refers to.

Speed bump and cameras could be released without an event.
post #82 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Can you imagine how incredibly lame iPad 2's introduction would be if there was no glimpse what it will be able to do come the Fall?

Likely as "lame" as the introduction of the first iPad running 3.2 instead of 4.0 that we all KNEW it would be running.

Quote:
Did you even look at the invite? 2011 is the year of what? iOS 5, thats what.

Draw a giant red arrow on the invitation pointing to this indication of iOS 5 in any form, please.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #83 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

LOL!

Wrong.

It will be previewed on March 2nd.

Yea, they'll spend an hour and a half saying its faster thinner and has cameras. Big frigging deal.

Did you even look at the invite? 2011 is the year of what? iOS 5, thats what. iOS 5 as it relates to iPad 2 is one of the most significant things happening this year. Clearly, CLEARLY, this is what the invite refers to.

Speed bump and cameras could be released without an event.

I missed the iOS part. Apple never announce software like this. They announce it at WWDC.

oh, and...

Lol.

( BTW iOS 5 is really going to disappoint you. )
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #84 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAnonymousBlackmail View Post

Will it cost me 30% of my salary to attend?

Hehe.

Who didn't get the joke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Huh?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why? Did they invite you? Otherwise, don't worry about it. Press events are free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The answer is highly dependent upon how many burgers you are able to flip per hour at your current job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Yes, please send the check to me and i will take care of it.

Who didn't get the difference between point-of-sale and Amazon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

techstud?

well if amazon held an event would it costs me 50% of my salary?
post #85 of 169
Technically speaking -
are we not all a form of the media, here at Appleinsider.
Admittedly, most of us don't have blogs,
but we have opinions, which we express very 'freely'
and punctiliosly (gotta love that word, yeah, I know it's not a 'real' word, however, I'm a member of the 'press' so piss-off!)

SO WHERE'S OUR bloody INVITES!
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #86 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

At which point I'll never see my family's faces again other than on FaceTime.

That's funny right there.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #87 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Dear Apple,

Please, please, please, don't screw over Canada this time with the release dates, thanks.

Deepest sympathies. Must make you feel like a flat-chested girl wearing a padded bra. Everybody knows you're up there but nobody much cares.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #88 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I disagree. They are saying "come see what 2011 will be the year of". Lots of iPhone sales and a demo of what's next for the iOS, think about it. They wouldn't say that for just a revamped iPad but also the operating system that will eventually be on it.

You may be correct about the next iOS -- here's my reasoning:

-- the iOS beta 4.3 hasn't been updated since 2/1 - it is normally 2 weeks
-- there are some compelling APIs within the beta that have not been discussed or featured
-- there is the probability of faster dual-core CPU and GPU, more RAM
-- there would be an advantage to support OpenCL and CGD programming
-- there is a possibility of 1 or 2 cameras
-- there is a possibility of ThunderBolt high-speed connection to other devices
-- there is the potential to use the iPad as a standalone video creation/editing device
-- there is a potential to use an iPad as a display/control surface for coming Pro Apps

I think that these things, while somewhat useful for the iPhone, will truly exploit the larger screen iPad as a stand-alone device, and as full-fledged member of the iDevice/Mac family.

By announcing the iPad 2 with new capabilities, and concurrently announcing iOS 4.x with new APIs to support those features -- Apple could reset the bar:

-- Announce iPad 2 Mar 2
----- Available for pre-order immediately
----- Shipping begins Mar 25
-- Announce iOS 4.x
----- Available to developers immediately
----- Available April 2011

Here's the effect of all this, in a nutshell:

The competition is trying to get a usable, affordable system out the door. They are jerking around with home screen widgets, Flash-flagellation, over-speced under-supported hardware -- in an attempt to differentiate themselves and appeal to the developer/buyer/user.

While they are doing that, Apple is enhancing the underlying iOS and SDK with constructs to exploit the hardware and software.

By April, the iPad 2, iOS 4.x combo will be doing things that the competition will not be able to address for another year.

Any or all of this can be included in the next iPhone iOS.

It's all about the software, stupid!

That's what I think!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #89 of 169
I'll buy one of the new ones if it is still maxed at 64G, but 2 if they have increased them to 128G.
post #90 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Technically, you shouldn't end a sentence in a preposition. So for those of us who love the English language for its regaled beauty, "Come see of what 2011 will be the year" is preferred. However, for those of us who more so love the English language for its flexibility, ease of evolution and expressibility, and appreciate the beauty of slang, the phrase is just fine. Have it how you like.

Have it as you like.

post #91 of 169
Quote:

I Think it was done on purpose. It actually draws you in more the way they wrote it.

Carl Reiner, the comedian and director, used to say things like; "That's the kind of guy I'm." Technically he was correct, but not with a common way of expressing it. But you remembered him saying it.

Ha! He used to sing it!

"I'm bidin' my ti-em..."
"...'cause that's the kinda' guy I'm"'

post #92 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

What kind of shit? Same old shit, or really great shit?
I just came back from the Turd Museum, they have some great shit there...

Channeling George Carlin?
post #93 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I missed the iOS part. Apple never announce software like this. They announce it at WWDC.

oh, and...

Lol.

( BTW iOS 5 is really going to disappoint you. )

Where have you been during the last three iOS (formally iPhone OS) announcements?!!

From iPhone 2.0 to iOS 4.0 Apple announced them all in March (only once in early April) with developers betas available for download the same day.
post #94 of 169
With the increasing growth of 4G one would think Apple would be all over that, but I guess not. Looks like we'll have to wait for iPad3.
post #95 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Deepest sympathies. Must make you feel like a flat-chested girl wearing a padded bra. Everybody knows you're up there but nobody much cares.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Can we move Lake louise to Hawaii - you think?

it's a waste - ALL THE WAY UP THERE
post #96 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Where's Canada?

Quote:

Somewhere close to the north pole I think. I know there are polar bears and Eskimos there, so I think it's north-ish.

Somewhere, South of Detroit!

post #97 of 169
Quote:

Where's Canada?

It's the country north of USA .... you know, the one with no bank failures during the latest financial fiasco .... with the "soundest" banking system in the world, according to most "financial experts"....... although that particular term may be redundant in this day and age. ....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #98 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha! He used to sing it!

"I'm bidin' my ti-em..."
"...'cause that's the kinda' guy I'm"'

Holy Cow Dick (if I may be so presumptuous?)

You're as old as me man!

Holy SHITE!
post #99 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The answer is highly dependent upon how many burgers you are able to flip per hour at your current job.

What? .... Techstud got a promotion? ... why didn't someone tell me?
post #100 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

It's the country north of USA .... you know, the one with no bank failures during the latest financial fiasco .... with the "soundest" banking system in the world, according to most "financial experts"....... although that particular term may be redundant in this day and age. ....

BULLLL- SHHIITTE!!

Australia could eat you guys for a quick Halloween Breakfast,
or what ever the Yanks do on 'that' day?
or is it Thanksgivingdaybreakfast - beats me?
post #101 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Maybe it's a comparative before and after pic. The iPad 1 reflective screen on the right versus the iPad 2 screen on the left?

That's a good catch -- the darker section is not the same shape as a shadow from the cover pealback!

post #102 of 169
Quote:

I Think it was done on purpose. It actually draws you in more the way they wrote it.

Carl Reiner, the comedian and director, used to say things like; "That's the kind of guy I'm." Technically he was correct, but not with a common way of expressing it. But you remembered him saying it.

Bidin' My Time - a classic George and Ira Gershwin song (aren't they all?!) from the musical Girl Crazy.

post #103 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I learned that in the 4th grade.

Ah yes .... 4th grade .... the longest 3 years of Techstud's life ....
post #104 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

techstud?

well if amazon held an event would it costs me 50% of my salary?

The original poster that you responded to is too full of him/herself.

To begin with, attendance is by invitation only.

CGC
post #105 of 169
If I were to hazard a guess, iOS 5 will make the Motorola Atrix and its laptop dock look like a toy.

Hopefully we see some more of Lion.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #106 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

BULLLL- SHHIITTE!!

Australia could eat you guys for a quick Halloween Breakfast,
or what ever the Yanks do on 'that' day?
or is it Thanksgivingdaybreakfast - beats me?

Did you miss the part where I was referring to Canada?
post #107 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I wonder how the battery life is going to hold up with the boost in specs.

I've seen discussions that say a Cortex A9 requires less power for the same performance than an A8,

Further, that a GPU core uses less power than a CPU core.

Finally, Apple can implement OpenCL and GCD to use the CPU/GPU cores efficiently.

I suspect that Apple will do all it can to allow developers (Apple and 3rd-party) to exploit the OS and hardware with efficient code.

That's opposed to the competition -- who add power to compensate for inefficient code (poorly-written OS, interpreters, garbage collection, Flash, etc.).

post #108 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If I were to hazard a guess, iOS 5 will make the Motorola Atrix and its laptop dock look like a toy.

Hopefully we see some more of Lion.

As to Motorola, the timing of Apple's invitation is sublime since the Xoom is scheduled to debut tomorrow - February 24. What a way to kick the pins out from under the competition.

The Xoom may be facing the most disastrous introduction since Tallulah Bankhead opened on Broadway in "Anthony and Cleopatra" - which provoked a devastating review the next day from John Mason Brown in the New York Post: Tallulah Bankhead barged down the Nile last night as Cleopatraand sank.

post #109 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Isn't RBC a heavy backer of RIM?

post #110 of 169
Quote:

Where's Canada?

I think it's in Wisconsin.
post #111 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozexige View Post

holy cow dick (if i may be so presumptuous?)

you're as old as me man!

Holy shite! :d

71.5 :d

post #112 of 169
Quote:

Yeah. Also, if it was worded correctly (as per your example) it would be unreadable nonsense, so the slightly incorrect grammar is definitely preferred.

People forget also that advertising copy is not proper English and never has been. Traditionally, a huge amount of leeway is given advertising agencies since their very business is inventive wordplay.

If it was a headline in a newspaper it's time to get upset, when it's an advert ... not so much.

Count me in in that sentiment.

This whole pedantry on the language is ridiculous. The phraseology is obviously an allusion to ...the year of _____! Well, putting a blank into the press release would be downright stupid.

As was posted earlier, the "rules" of written English are merely guidelines (except by composition teachers who need them for self fulfillment and grading). English as a language adapts and evolves based on usage, it does not and never has remained static bound to a set of mandatory rules. Let the Grammar Police so be chastised and castigated.
post #113 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

A preposition is bad to end a sentence with.

Well, you could have stated yours (more aptly) also as:

It's bad to end a sentence with a preposition.

There's what is referred to as artistic license, meant to entice or make the reader ponder ... "Think Different" .., need not explain itself.

And, if you study the history of the English language, you will find that the Shakespeare's English, or that of Milton were written and spoken differently. The language evolves, and continue to do so.

Are you aware that there are variants of the English language, as actually spoken and written all over the world? Lexicographers and linguists who study modern cultures of the world accept these variants as true forms of the English language -- not just the King's English or American English.

Get out more in the larger world... don't spend too much time in the Apple Insider forums. Just don't try your luck as an advertising creator. You will bore everyone, and get fired for being stuffy.

CGC

You might enjoy this:

grammar pedants, language, and stephen fry

But then again, you might not. *grins*
post #114 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Isn't RBC a heavy backer of RIM?

Yes ... and in spite of that, they're still solvent .... go figure.
post #115 of 169
Apple likes to send subtle messages like this and they invested in a mapping company about a year ago...should be interesting.
post #116 of 169
I don't expect the 'new' port on the ipad to be mini-display.

But we'll find out tomorrow. I expect it to be a thunderbolt port [hate the name].

Does thunderbolt video out?
post #117 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Likely as "lame" as the introduction of the first iPad running 3.2 instead of 4.0 that we all KNEW it would be running.

Draw a giant red arrow on the invitation pointing to this indication of iOS 5 in any form, please.

Let's see how many things are wrong with this post.

1. iPad was a brand new product, and 3.2 might as well have been 1.0, as it was just enough to get the first one out the door.

2. iPad was introduced in January, not March.

3. March is the month for iOS previews. Can you imagine Apple holding another event 2-3 weeks after (days before iPad 2 is released). No.

4. iPad 2 is a product REFRESH. The hardware will take 5-10 minutes to talk about, at most. And since its going to be available in about 30 days, it will undoubtedly ship with iOS 4.3.

So whats the event for? Speed bump and cameras? Nope. It's to highlight what the new device can do now, AND, what's in store for iPads come the release of iOS 5.

2011 is the year of? What? Speed bumps?

The RED f******* arrow is the Maps icon (roadmap logo for iOS preview events), and the tag line.
post #118 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I don't expect the 'new' port on the ipad to be mini-display.

But we'll find out tomorrow. I expect it to be a thunderbolt port [hate the name].

Does thunderbolt video out?

I don't see why the iPad needs two ways to connect to iTunes.

I also don't see why a thunderbolt cable can't have a 30 pin dock connector (or new type of dock connector all together) on the other end?

Couldn't Apple sell an optional TB to Dock connector cable? For people who buy new Macs this year want to sync faster than USB 2?
post #119 of 169
A whole media event just for the iPad 2? I don't thinks so.

There must be some cloud computing annoucements coming too. With all the apps and personal data on the iPads it would be ideal to have them sync better with the cloud. That is, something better than MobileMe that allows documents to be worked on the iPad but stored in MobileMe and not just iWork documents but Office ones or any 3rd party productivity apps.

The Macbook Pros should also be presented at the event. We'll see next week.
post #120 of 169
oops... premature post. Never mind.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2