or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Does every person own themselves?

Does every person own themselves? - Page 3

Poll Results: Does each person own themselves?

• 72% (8)
    Yes
  • 27% (3)
    No
  • 0% (0)
    I'm not sure
11 Total Votes  
post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Simply because if one can be objective - ie leave out any concepts of 'God', morality and absolutist right and wrong - then what you have is two people who are pointing out things which are, in their opinion, 'wrong' and doing so in a manner which is deemed to be unacceptable.

I wonder if you lived in 1st century Palestine, were not a Christian and had never heard of Christ but your first introduction was reports of some agitator smashing up the sacred tables in the Temple and hitting people with whips- I really wonder what side you would take.

Or...to stretch it further, if you a good religious person of the day and were in the crowd when the freedom was offered to either Barabbas or the blaspheming Jesus who you would shout for.

It's all very well in retrospect but the winners write history - and rewrite it.

The fact is that the Christ story is played out every single day. All the Bible stories are - that's the whole point.

And it's usually the religious who are the 'bad guys' and the 'bad guys' pointing out the sin.

But Jesus knew all that anyway - which is why he got nailed up - maybe read the Good Samaritan (today would be the 'good Muslim' I suppose) or the feast where only the poor turned up.

I think the equivalence is pretty clear if you don't imagine BR to be divine or anything.

I am still having some trouble with the point you are making but I will read it over and see if I can distill down what my actual understanding is and whether we are crossing messages somehow. You continue to bring Muslim into these talks as well like it is some kind of punch and for myself it holds no more power than any other religious distinction. So that part of your message may have more focus for others reading. Muslims, Athiests, Christians, and others are all subject to the same scrutiny for their actions.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I am still having some trouble with the point you are making but I will read it over and see if I can distill down what my actual understanding is and whether we are crossing messages somehow. You continue to bring Muslim into these talks as well like it is some kind of punch and for myself it holds no more power than any other religious distinction. So that part of your message may have more focus for others reading. Muslims, Athiests, Christians, and others are all subject to the same scrutiny for their actions.

Ok...let me know when you have it down.

I bring Muslims into the Islam threads and this one and the Savage.

Islamic threads I guess they belong there.

Savage because he is obsessed with Islam and the lies he tells in general are most clearly highlighted in that area. One could do the same with Liberals whom he also hates but it is less easy to prove he is lying because there is no scripture to refer to and he rarely cites occurrences - it's more a sort of spatter-gun hate.

Here I mention because it is the most appropriate analogy. Ten or so years ago I would have chosen black or Asian people instead. 60 years ago in Germany it would be Jews. 2000 years ago in Palestine would have stuck with Samaritans.

There's always someone who it's 'ok to hate' and it changes by the decade.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Does every person own themselves?