or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Core 2 duo vs i3 or i5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Core 2 duo vs i3 or i5

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
If you are an average computer user would the core 2 duo suffice compared to the i3? I am a newbee with mac computers.Thanks Marv
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If you are an average computer user would the core 2 duo suffice compared to the i3? I am a newbee with mac computers.Thanks Marv

Yes a Core 2 Duo would normally suffice, the biggest improvements for most people come from the amount of RAM and the speed of the storage (SSD). Any dual-core should be enough, even the dual 1.4GHz in the MBA. If you encode movies though, you will see a noticeable difference as well as making idvd projects. Mostly though, it doesn't matter.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yes a Core 2 Duo would normally suffice, the biggest improvements for most people come from the amount of RAM and the speed of the storage (SSD). Any dual-core should be enough, even the dual 1.4GHz in the MBA. If you encode movies though, you will see a noticeable difference as well as making idvd projects. Mostly though, it doesn't matter.

I do not do any video editing at all.Would I be better off with a SSD or 4 more gigs of ram? thanks
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I do not do any video editing at all.Would I be better off with a SSD or 4 more gigs of ram? thanks

Ideally both but I'd say 2GB of RAM is generally enough for everyday use and with an SSD for swap files, it would be better than a HDD + 4GB RAM.

You can see the application launch speed you get from the SSD in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSsunO_dG8
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ideally both but I'd say 2GB of RAM is generally enough for everyday use and with an SSD for swap files, it would be better than a HDD + 4GB RAM.

You can see the application launch speed you get from the SSD in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSsunO_dG8

It really all depends on the ISP right? The speed you are getting.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

It really all depends on the ISP right? The speed you are getting.

Absolutely none of this depends on the speed of Internet for which you are paying.

You have quite a few things confused that you ought to sort out.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely none of this depends on the speed of Internet for which you are paying.

You have quite a few things confused that you ought to sort out.

I am a little confused.Please bear with me.Thanks.people tell me to buy a SSD which will help me get faster start up instead of my 5400 HD. Than buy 4 more gigs of ram better memory capacity for me. What is correct? thanks MF
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I am a little confused.Please bear with me.Thanks.people tell me to buy a SSD which will help me get faster start up instead of my 5400 HD. Than buy 4 more gigs of ram better memory capacity for me. What is correct? thanks MF

Hmm. Both? The SSD would be faster for loading programs and such, but extra RAM would help those programs run faster. Don't spend money on things you don't need, however. Stock configurations are plenty darn fast right now.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Both? The SSD would be faster for loading programs and such, but extra RAM would help those programs run faster. Don't spend money on things you don't need, however. Stock configurations are plenty darn fast right now.

Thanks for your honesty and response back to me. I have 4 gigs of ram now in the MBP 13 inch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Core 2 duo vs i3 or i5