or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

post #1 of 180
Apple's new high-end 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros feature the latest quad-core Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors from Intel, as well as AMD Radeon HD graphics and the new high-speed Thunderbolt port.

Overview

The powerful 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models feature Intel quad-core Core i7 processors up to 2.3 GHz and AMD Radeon HD graphics processors with up to 1GB of video memory for high performance gaming, pro video editing and graphics intensive applications.

Sandy Bridge architecture

The new Core i7 chips, which are part of Intel's new Sandy Bridge architecture, also include integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3SDRAM shared with the main memory. Apple uses its own unique automated graphics switching technology to allow these higher-performance MacBook Pro models to switch between these integrated graphics chips and the more powerful discrete graphics processors from AMD.

More powerful graphics

The 15-inch MacBook Pro features an AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on the 2.0GHz configuration, or an AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU with 1GB of GDDR5 memory with the 2.2GHz configuration. The high-end 17-inch MacBook Pro features the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB of GDDR5 standard.

Thunderbolt and FaceTime HD

Like the new 13-inch model, the updated MacBook Pros also have a high-speed Thunderbolt port and a new FaceTime HD camera with triple the resolution of the previous generation.

Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to 10Gbps each, Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire and USB consumer devices and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters.

Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

Unibody enclosures

The MacBook Pro lineup continues to feature its same aluminum unibody enclosure, glass Multi-Touch trackpad, LED-backlit widescreen display, illuminated full-size keyboard and 7-hour battery.

EPEAT Gold status

Every Mac notebook achieves EPEAT Gold status and meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements. Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed with recyclable materials.

In addition, each new MacBook Pro comes with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife, AppleÂs suite of applications for creating and sharing photos, movies and music.

Features included with new Core i5 and i7 chips
New Intel Core i5 and i7 chips up to 2x faster at the core

New quad-core Intel Core i7 processors are standard on the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro, and use IntelÂs recently refined chipsets. This makes the new MacBook Pros perform up to twice as fast as the previous generation, capable of handling demanding tasks like editing HD video, compiling audio, or rendering a multilayered image file. And ac OS X Snow Leopard is designed to take advantage of every processor core, maximizing performance.

Faster single-chip microarchitecture

The latest Intel Core architecture puts the processor, cache, memory controller, and graphics engine on a single chip. Data travels a shorter distance, allowing for greater efficiency.

Turbo Boost 2.0

Turbo Boost is a dynamic performance technology that automatically increases the speed of the active cores  up to 3.4GHz. Turbo Boost 2.0 is even more dynamic and efficient. By shifting core frequency in smaller increments than before, it allows the processor to manage performance without sacrificing efficiency.

Hyper-Threading

Hyper-Threading is now standard on every MacBookÂ*Pro. This technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so MacÂ*OSÂ*X recognizes eight virtual cores on a quad-core processor and four on a dual-core processor. When youÂre running multiple applications at once, the processor spreads tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores.

Integrated memory controller

With faster access to memory, each core can get right to work on your data, rather than waiting for it to arrive. ThatÂs why the new Intel Core architecture uses an integrated memory controller to connect fast 1333MHz memory directly to the processor. Together with up to 8MB of shared L3 cache, the integrated memory controller helps your applications run at peak performance.

Energy-efficient graphics

Thanks to the new microarchitecture, the graphics processor is on the same chip as the central processor and has direct access to L3 cache. That proximity translates into performance. The graphics processor also automatically increases clock speeds for higher workloads. An integrated video encoder enables HD video calls with FaceTime, while an efficient decoder gives you long battery life when youÂre watching DVDs or iTunes movies.

Technical Specifications
15-inch MacBook Pro:

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro has Intel's latest Core i7 Sandy Bridge quad-core processors, available in speeds of 2.0GHz, coupled with a AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU, or 2.2GHz, paired with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU. It also features the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, which allows data transfers of up to 10Gbps in addition to audio and video connections, as well as a FaceTime HD camera with 720p resolution.

\tSize and weight
\tHeight: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
\tWidth: 14.35 inches (36.4 cm)
\tDepth: 9.82 inches (24.9 cm)
\tWeight: 5.6 pounds (2.54 kg)
\tConnections and expansion
\tMagSafe power port
\tGigabit Ethernet port
\tFireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
\tTwo USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
\tThunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
\tAudio line in
\tAudio line out
\tSDXC card slot
\tKensington lock slot

\tDisplay
\tGlossy
\tAntiglare
\t15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy or optional antiglare widescreen display with support for millions of colors
\tSupported resolutions: 1440 by 900 (native), 1280 by 800, 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched
\tGraphics and video support
\tAMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.0GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration
\tIntel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
\tAutomatic graphics switching
\tDual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
\tFaceTime HD camera
\tThunderbolt port
\tProcessor and memory
\t2.0GHz or 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache; or optional 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache
\t4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB
\tStandard Configurations: 2.0 GHz or 2.2 GHz
\tStorage
\t500GB or 750GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive, 500GB 7200-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
\t8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
\tMaximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
\tMaximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD
\tBattery and power
\tup to 7 hrs wireless web
\tBuilt-in 77.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
\t85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system
\tMagSafe power port
\t17-inch MacBook Pro

The updated 17-inch MacBook Pro comes standard with a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache, but users can upgrade to an or optional 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache. Like the rest of the updated MacBook Pro lineup, it also features the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, which allows data transfers of up to 10Gbps in addition to audio and video connections, as well as a FaceTime HD camera with 720p resolution.

\tSize and weight
\tHeight: 0.98 inch (2.50 cm)
\tWidth: 15.47 inches (39.3 cm)
\tDepth: 10.51 inches (26.7 cm)
\tWeight: 6.6 pounds (2.99 kg)
\tConnections and expansion
\tMagSafe power port
\tGigabit Ethernet port
\tFireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
\tThree USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
\tThunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
\tAudio line in
\tAudio line out
\tExpressCard/34 slot
\tKensington lock slot

\tDisplay
\tGlossy
\tAntiglare
\t17-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy or optional antiglare widescreen display with support for millions of colors
\tSupported resolutions: 1920 by 1200 (native), 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1280 by 1024 pixels at 5:4 aspect ratio; 1280 by 1024 pixels at 5:4 aspect ratio stretched; 1600 by 1200, 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1600 by 1200, 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched
\tGraphics and video support
\tAMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
\tIntel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
\tAutomatic graphics switching
\tDual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
\tFaceTime HD camera
\tThunderbolt port
\tProcessor and memory
\t2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache; or optional 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache
\t4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB
\tStandard Configuration: 2.2 GHz
\tStorage
\t750GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 500GB 7200-rpm hard drive or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
\t8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
\tMaximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
\tMaximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD
\tBattery and power
\tup to 7 hrs wireless web
\tBuilt-in 95-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
\t85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system
\tMagSafe power port
Pricing & Availability

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is available in two models: one with a 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,799 and one with a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive starting at $2,199.

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive and is priced at $2,499.

Configure-to-order options include faster quad-core processors up to 2.3 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 750GB, solid state storage up to 512GB, more memory up to 8GB DDR3, antiglare and high-resolution display options and AppleCare® Protection Plan. Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at http://www.apple.com/macbookpro.

Save on new MacBook Pros through Apple's Resellers

Several Apple Authorized Resellers have also begun discounting the new MacBook Pros and AppleInsider expects to offer discount coupons within the next few hours. Exact pricing will automatically update in our Mac Pricing Guide, the MacBook Pro section of which is included below:

post #2 of 180
Zzzz iPad 2 please... And what's up with these forums? Everything seems so dead. I would have at least been insulted several times now with my comments of the past few hours.
post #3 of 180
Optional SSD & matte display. The store isn't back up yet, so I don't know prices, but it seems Apple is offering a pretty wide range of configuration options.

Nothing about Thunderbolt based docking station, though. I hope we see one of those soon.

- Jasen.
post #4 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Zzzz iPad 2 please... And what's up with these forums? Everything seems so dead. I would have at least been insulted several times now with my comments of the past few hours.

Shut up nerd!
post #5 of 180
Quote:

I would have at least been insulted several times now with my comments of the past few hours.

You're an idiot. Feel better now?

- Jasen.
post #6 of 180
The AMD 6750M is a pretty decent GPU even for gaming. And at least we now have quad cores on laptops.

Its a nice incremental upgrade but no design changes were made toward the Macbook Air design. There is a "hunger" for the Air, which makes me wonder when are they going to refresh it to Sandy Bridge and HD3000 GPU?

Anyone knows how you can connect multiple things to thunderbolt? Is there an external device with multiple connectors sold seperatly?

The option to replace the HD by SSD is GREAT, but the prices are very high. Like 150 to 250$ on 13 and 15 inch models
post #7 of 180
Whew it's been a long wait for me since my Powerbook died last November. 15 in. here I come! Can't wait for the store to be back up.
post #8 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71 View Post

Shut up nerd!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

You're an idiot. Feel better now?

- Jasen.

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The AMD 6750M is a pretty decent GPU even for gaming. And at least we now have quad cores on laptops.

Its a nice incremental upgrade but no design changes were made toward the Macbook Air design. There is a "hunger" for the Air, which makes me wonder when are they going to refresh it to Sandy Bridge and HD3000 GPU?

Anyone knows how you can connect multiple things to thunderbolt? Is there an external device with multiple connectors sold seperatly?

Good points:
AMD 6750M GPU 1GB
DualCore and QuadCore
Thunderbolt

Bad points:
MBP 13" and base MBP 15"
Lack of Thunderbolt peripherals
Seeming discordance in MBP range
No redesign

Unknown points:
Hopefully cheaper SSD
post #9 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

devices are daisy-chained ... i imagine like firewire or scsi. apple has links to "learn more" about the tech, eventually leading to intel's site at http://www.intel.com/technology/io/t...bolt/index.htm
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #10 of 180
I wonder how often the CPU will go to Turbo boost in a laptop as thin as the MBP? If not often, then the 2.0GHz will really be felt. I would like to see some professional reviewers look in to this question.
post #11 of 180
Actually I'm enjoying myself. The Apple SlamBoys would have been all over this like flies on poop. Where are they? Man, this material is gold for them.

Yes I WILL CALM DOWN SOON.

BruceP where are you we need your sage (though borderline incomprehensible) take on things!
post #12 of 180
Quote:

No redesign

But did you really expect a redesign without a press conference? That's where all the speculation of no more optical drives and such made no sense to me. If there had been a major redesign, Apple would have had the requisite dog and pony show.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #13 of 180
Why on earth are there still Superdrives in these things?
post #14 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

But did you really expect a redesign without a press conference? That's where all the speculation of no more optical drives and such made no sense to me. If there had been a major redesign, Apple would have had the requisite dog and pony show.

Honestly, IMO it would have been possible for Apple to have done a redesign to make it more Air-like without having to do any theatrics, especially since Steve is not well.
post #15 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

No idea.
post #16 of 180
Quote:

You may never use a DVD or a CD but the vast majority of users still use them. Hell, I just burned a couple DVDs this past week.
post #17 of 180
Quote:

From the Features page:
"After using iMovie and iDVD to edit and apply the finishing touches to your home movie, use the 8x SuperDrive on MacBook Pro to burn it to DVD in no time."

From the Thunderbolt page:
"If youre a video editor, imagine connecting high-performance storage, a high-resolution display, and high-bit-rate video capture devices to handle all the post-production for a feature film right on your notebook."

While I'm not as passionate about it as some, I'm also in the camp that rarely uses the DVD drive and would rather the space be used for something else. (And not a Blu-Ray drive. )

- Jasen.
post #18 of 180
My expectations were way off... See y'all later at iPad event liveblog.
post #19 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder how often the CPU will go to Turbo boost in a laptop as thin as the MBP? If not often, then the 2.0GHz will really be felt. I would like to see some professional reviewers look in to this question.

My late 2010 MMP i7 does it all the time with use of video when playing just about any game and any sniff of flash ... I expect it will be pretty much the same on the new models. I had fun monitoring this for a while but the fan is the sure sign it has kicked in ... unless of course our cat has snuggled up to the back of the MBP cutting of air flow which she has done on several occasion!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #20 of 180
Quote:

Honestly, IMO it would have been possible for Apple to have done a redesign to make it more Air-like without having to do any theatrics, especially since Steve is not well.

But Apple are specifically doing theatrics next week, so obviously they are still down for theatrics. I think you were hoping rather than thinking logically.
post #21 of 180
Quote:

From the Features page:
"After using iMovie and iDVD to edit and apply the finishing touches to your home movie, use the 8x SuperDrive on MacBook Pro to burn it to DVD in no time."

From the Thunderbolt page:
"If youre a video editor, imagine connecting high-performance storage, a high-resolution display, and high-bit-rate video capture devices to handle all the post-production for a feature film right on your notebook."

While I'm not as passionate about it as some, I'm also in the camp that rarely uses the DVD drive and would rather the space be used for something else. (And not a Blu-Ray drive. )

- Jasen.

I agree, I think I've used mine twice in a year! That was to reinstall Final Cut Studio and check out an old DVD. The day is approaching when they will be gone for sure. An external DVD drive with Thunderbolt kept in a draw is all we'll need for legacy uses.
post #22 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You may never use a DVD or a CD but the vast majority of users still use them. Hell, I just burned a couple DVDs this past week.

Ah yes, the fabled "majority of users". I know a ton of Mac users, and no one ever uses the Superdrive. Why should they, anyway? Burning DVDs is slow, there are thumbdrives for that. And no one I know watches DVDs anymore, they're dead media.

Oh well, no MBP for me this time. Guess I'll wait for an updated iMac (yes, I know, there's a superfluous Superdrive in there too).
post #23 of 180
Thunderbolt can handle only up to 6 devices???
post #24 of 180
Quote:

Apple already have an Air series why would you want to do away with the MacBook Pro series designs? One day when 2 TB solid state storage is low cost and internal DVD drives are gone I can see there will be a convergence but till then a MBP is needed as is. Heck I have virtually replaced my Mac Pro with a MBP they are so powerful and versatile, so I don't want to see a reduction of its abilities for the sake of becoming svelte thank you .
post #25 of 180
Quote:

Thanks!

Yes!

Good points:
AMD 6750M GPU 1GB
DualCore and QuadCore
Thunderbolt

Bad points:
MBP 13" and base MBP 15"
Lack of Thunderbolt peripherals
Seeming discordance in MBP range
No redesign

Unknown points:
Hopefully cheaper SSD

I'm happy with no external redesign. I think this design is the best portable they have ever done, and I can't imagine how they would improve it. I got the first aluminum macbook when it came out in 2008, and I still love it. My fear is that when I am ready to upgrade Apple will have redesigned completely and I won't like the current iteration very much. I have never had a computer that 2 and a half years later I still love the design as much as or more than the newer models.

The only thing I can guess from your post is that you were hoping it would be more MacBook Air-like? If so, why not just get an Air?
post #26 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Yes. And one of those devices could be a PCI Express card rack. Into which you could put all manner of connectivity cards. Thunderbolt is a bus level connection, it's not a device level connection.

- Jasen.
post #27 of 180
Quote:

Yes. And one of those devices could be a PCI Express card rack. Into which you could put all manner of connectivity cards. Thunderbolt is a bus level connection, it's not a device level connection.

- Jasen.

I was already wondering why Apple haven't got a few varieties of external Thunderbolt hubs ready to go. Perhaps they will leave that to Griffin et al.
post #28 of 180
Quote:

Ah yes, the fabled "majority of users". I know a ton of Mac users, and no one ever uses the Superdrive.

I also know lots of Macbook and Macbook pro users, most that I know do use the drive often. DVD isn't dead, I'm not burning DVDs or creating media but there is still plenty to be consumed.

Many of us don't have the means to replace our entire physical library with the latest and greatest platform. Some of us also haven't had the chance to buy and set up a digital media server so we can digitize everything. Things like that take time and money, both are precious commodities in our household.
~Tokolosh
~Tokolosh
post #29 of 180
Bit of a let down, after all the rumours going around.
post #30 of 180
As soon as the MBA's start outselling the MBP's by a wide margin, that's when they will start dropping the MBP's from the lineup. And SSD prices have dropped and MBA speed goes up!
post #31 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

I also know lots of Macbook and Macbook pro users, most that I know do use the drive often. DVD isn't dead, I'm not burning DVDs or creating media but there is still plenty to be consumed.

Many of us don't have the means to replace our entire physical library with the latest and greatest platform. Some of us also haven't had the chance to buy and set up a digital media server so we can digitize everything. Things like that take time and money, both are precious commodities in our household.

It would have been nice to have the option to replace the SuperDrive with a SSD though. And even if you choose to replace the SuperDrive you can always get an external drive.

I'm in the camp that very very rarely reads or writes to a DVD/CD. Everyone I know has moved to HDD based Media Players and digital downloads (legal and illegal) But I understand there still is a need for them
post #32 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

As soon as the MBA's start outselling the MBP's by a wide margin, that's when they will start dropping the MBP's from the lineup. And SSD prices have dropped and MBA speed goes up!

They serve two pretty different needs at the moment though. High end MBPs are now powerful enough (since i7 IMO) in all respects to be real low to medium end work stations for the likes of video production when hooked up to a bunch of external storage devices. It will be a while before Airs can do that ... it will happen no doubt, but it is not going happen for a few years IMHO. Which I guess is what you are saying here

Frankly, I suspect the iPad2 will be eating into Air sales more than Air into MBP's sales.
post #33 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My late 2010 MMP i7 does it all the time with use of video when playing just about any game and any sniff of flash ... I expect it will be pretty much the same on the new models. I had fun monitoring this for a while but the fan is the sure sign it has kicked in ... unless of course our cat has snuggled up to the back of the MBP cutting of air flow which she has done on several occasion!

That's good to hear, the 2.0GHz may not be such a big deal then.
post #34 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden89 View Post

Bit of a let down, after all the rumours going around.

Yep, real sad Apple come out with the best imaginable and most advanced LapTop on Earth. Must be really worth joining a forum to complain about.
post #35 of 180
definitely a step in the right direction, got my name down on a 15". Just have to keep it away form the wife who dropped her last one two days after she bought it! Still works though!
post #36 of 180
sorry double post somehow???
post #37 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's good to hear, the 2.0GHz may not be such a big deal then.

I must admit on my MBP i7 (not MMP sorry for that typo) when I render in FCPro the fan really screams but boy it is fast. I have yet to find what the actual GHz attained is but compared to my 8 Core Xeon Mac Pro it is not too shabby in rendering times. I do see all 4 cores maxing out. The biggest difference from the Mac Pro is that can do other tasks without taking a hit while rendering HD video, the MBP is pretty much a one trick pony and I have learned not to expect it to do anything else at the same time.

I wish there were a utility that actually showed the clock speeds changing in real time but nothing I have tried does that so far.
post #38 of 180
What a JOKE, no USB 3.0 support?! No FireWire 1600 support? Same old same old.

What resolution is the new "HD" iSight/FaceTime camera?
post #39 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Same here. I don't know what this insistence is on providing less. If one doesn't want an optical drive because you think that gets you the thinnest and lightest possible machine, that machine already exists. It's called the Air. I, for one, do not want Apple to cripple the MBP line to turn them into Airs and I don't think they want to either - that's why they have two product lines.

I definitely want an optical drive in my next MBP and while I think I like the idea of a combo SSD/HD, I would not want the hard disk removed completely unless the SSD has the same high capacity and was the same cost, but right now, a 250GB SSD is pretty expensive.

And while a "redesign" is always interesting because it's fun to see where Apple is going to take it next, there's nothing wrong with the current design of the MBP. It still looks better than every other laptop out there. It boggles the mind that almost every Windows laptop out there still only has analog video output. On these new models, I was really glad to see that even though Apple added the new Thunderbolt port (although it replaced the Display Port), they still kept all the traditional USB, Firewire and Ethernet ports. I half expected them to drop one of those like they dropped the FW port a few years back, then had to restore it in later models.
post #40 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Only 6 devices? I find it pretty impressive you can hook up 6 devices to a single port. Did you ever try connecting 6 devices to a single USB port at the same time, through a hub? The data rate decreases exponentially with every device you add. Not to mention the CPU load on your computer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs