or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs - Page 4

post #121 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well when they do offer built-in cell data it will most likely come with GPS as well which I think is cool for using map searching. Maybe eliminating the ODD could offset the cost of the added radios.

It's a good thing to have. I've really appreciated having GPS in devices. It also happens to be built into the chips I was referencing, Gobi 1000 includes basic GPS, Gobi 2000 includes that and A-GPS
post #122 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nope, none of these are remotely good reasons....considering something called f****** USB has existed for some time now.

What part of 'portable' don't you understand?

It comes down to numbers. If a significant number of people are using the optical drive on their MBP, then dropping it in favor of an external) which would require you to carry the drive, power supply, and cable when you travel) would be foolish.

If, OTOH, the number who use it is tiny, then having it as an external makes sense.

Apple's smart enough to have figured that out (apparently unlike some of the people posting here). Note that the iPad requires an adapter to use USB - apparently, Apple's research indicated that few people would attach a USB device to the iPad. Similarly, the fact that Apple continues to offer an optical drive in the MBP indicates that their research shows that a large number of people still use it.

Do you really think that Apple's too stupid to realize that they could save some money as well as reduce the weight and battery consumption if they dropped the optical drive? Are you the only one who's smart enough to realize that it's possible to drop the optical drive?

It really amazes me how many of these anonymous trolls think they know so much more than Apple about the computer market.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #123 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I remember in 2002 I had friends who worked at a post facility. They were making internal and preview work on 3/4 inch U-matic tape for ad agencies. 3/4 inch is a tape format from the 70's. The reason it was still used is because it was cheap and everyone had decks.

The post house was trying to push its clients to adopt DVD. Which was faster and easier to create and send out than U-matic tapes.

Sounds like it hasn't changed. Today uploading a digital file that can be accessed through a secure password is far easier and faster than dealing with a DVD.

Oh we do both. Our uploads to PostSpots and other services number in the thousands each year. But the agencies still like DVDs for a variety of reasons.
post #124 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that AI hasn't specifically mentioned the (expensive) $150 BTO option on the 15 inch version for a non-glossy screen. A much discussed issue, yet ignored. $50 on the 17 inch version, which is the same as with the previous version, as I recall.

I was going to mention this, any insight into apple's reasoning?
post #125 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, real sad Apple come out with the best imaginable and most advanced LapTop on Earth. Must be really worth joining a forum to complain about.

I joined in the hype of all the MBP stuff... not to complain. I love macs! Just thought I would be upgrading, and it doesn't seem like enough to upgrade for $2700+AU, from my current MBP...
post #126 of 180
Quote:

DVD is fool proof? You've never burned a DVD and for some reason it played in some DVD players and does not play in others?

You're right, I did have that happen one time. One time out of hundreds if not thousands of DVDs burned.

Quote:

DVD has become an entrenched way of doing things and industries are slow to adapt to new ways of doing things.

You far over play the problems with streaming media. If it was as much of a problem as you describe we would not have iTunes, Netflix, and YouTube.

Video streaming from iTunes, Netflix and YouTube has absolutely nothing to do with sharing broadcast work with clients or colleagues via FTP or other password-protected method.
post #127 of 180
Has the option to add a higher resolution 15" display always existed, or is that new with this revision? I was hoping for a full 1080p, but 1680x1050 might be worth the $100 upgrade...
post #128 of 180
So, the CPU are upgraded, but the gpu is intels POS for the bottom of hte range.

They introduce a massively quick connection technology while sticking with 5400rpm drives

They keep the name Pro(fessional) and offer screens of lower resolution than their macbook air family.

My two month old Macbook rates as a 10hr life, but these are all 7hr estimated life

Guess I wait until they do a complete overhaul of the Pros before i get one, as I dont see the point at the moment.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #129 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitsEndFL View Post

I agree! Disappointed here too. I was really hoping for a SSD boot / HDD for data combination to replace the largely unused / unnecessary SuperDrive.

I knew that the "light peak / thunderbolt" port was coming and supposedly there will be adapters that will allow for connection from thunderbolt to other peripherals including USB, but I was really hoping that the remaining USB ports would be upgraded to 3.0 at least. Last thing I want to carry around is some type of "Lightpeak to USB dongle" in order to connect a USB 3.0 drive at max speed.

Also disappointed that they are still offering 5400 rpm drives as the "standard" option. These are premium notebooks, and they are being crippled with slow / cheap drives. For the money the MBP costs and the minor difference in price between 5400 and 7200 rpm drives, the 7200's should be the new standard on these (at least on the 15 and the 17 models).

I was thinking I would be upgrading this month, but I may consider waiting for the next one now, I am not sure there is enough of a step forward with this update to justify the $$$.
\

Yes, once again, Apple has failed to meet the promises made by rumor sites looking for click traffic. I mean, Apple does all the work, and rumor sites just make shit up. Apple should be ashamed of itself.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #130 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The battery life just took a 1-2 hour hit. It now says 7 hours instead of 8-9.

I'm really considering a refurb of the previous model. The savings is huge! Anything will rock compared to my 1.83 CD MBP!

Do you recall what His Steveness said about the Apple battery life test at his keynote for launching the Macbook Air?

They'd developed a new formula, he said, that more accurately reflected actual use as opposed to something devised by marketing. The MBA was promised to be "seven hours", and much better than those MBPs that were rated to ten hours at the time.

And indeed it was. The 13 inch MBA absolutely smoked even the best MBP in battery life test.

Now those new criteria are applied to the MBP. Seven hours effectively represents an improvement in claimed real world performance on the old MBP. And we'll know for sure once the likes of ars technica and Anandtech compare it with the MBA and the old MBP.
post #131 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So, the CPU are upgraded, but the gpu is intels POS for the bottom of hte range.

They introduce a massively quick connection technology while sticking with 5400rpm drives

They keep the name Pro(fessional) and offer screens of lower resolution than their macbook air family.

My two month old Macbook rates as a 10hr life, but these are all 7hr estimated life

Guess I wait until they do a complete overhaul of the Pros before i get one, as I dont see the point at the moment.

10hours on the previous test, which was a joke. These are seven hours on the MBA test, which actually means something. See my comment above. This actually looks promising to me.
post #132 of 180
A few bumps here and there, nothing too much otherwise.

I was hoping on the physical side that it would have a slight redesign, not for aesthetic reason since it is a nice package.....but to get a better hinge mechanism seeing a lot of Macbook Pro buyers have complained about them last year. Now for all I know perhaps Apple has decided to upgrade the hinge to something more robust, the current one in their laptops seem to loosen up quite substantially and with very little usage. Quite disappointing seeing the premium that Apple charges.

With the 2010 Macbook Pro that is all I really had to complain about, the choice of using a flimsy hinge for the display.

Someone liberated (stole) my 2010 Macbook Pro from me a couple of weeks ago, and as I generally love Apple products for their synergy between hardware and software I'm definately picking up another one. I do wish the hinge was upgraded however, but something I may have to overlook seeing my other option is to wait out a year which is unrealistic or go back to windows which will never happen again in my lifetime...lol.
post #133 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post

I was hoping on the physical side that it would have a slight redesign, not for aesthetic reason since it is a nice package.....but to get a better hinge mechanism seeing a lot of Macbook Pro buyers have complained about them last year. Now for all I know perhaps Apple has decided to upgrade the hinge to something more robust, the current one in their laptops seem to loosen up quite substantially and with very little usage. Quite disappointing seeing the premium that Apple charges.

I think it's quite possible to improve the hinge without changing the external look of the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Oh, got it. Just bought the new machine, sense of humor must have flown out the door with the 2500 bucks!

Congratulations! It's should shake out to be a nifty machine. I'd get one, but what I have seems to serve my needs pretty well.

At the very worst, you might be able to install an Optibay to replace the optical with another hard drive, probably not optimal for you, but it is an option. It seems like Apple does a makeover every three or four years, and I don't think the Unibody style is near that yet.
post #134 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

10hours on the previous test, which was a joke. These are seven hours on the MBA test, which actually means something. See my comment above. This actually looks promising to me.

the proof will be in the pudding
post #135 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that AI hasn't specifically mentioned the (expensive) $150 BTO option on the 15 inch version for a non-glossy screen. A much discussed issue, yet ignored. $50 on the 17 inch version, which is the same as with the previous version, as I recall.

I would call that "market research" in real time.

As I recall, there was a lot of angry words when Apple dropped the antiglare screens off of the MBP line-up, only to reinstate the option for the 17". Seems like Apple is saying "you can have it, but it will cost you."
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #136 of 180
The Geekbenches for these machines are sick! - around 10,000
post #137 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Thunderbolt can handle only up to 6 devices???

there are none for sale by anyone yet, 6 is a lot.

So much for the 16 gb ssd boot dive Aren't rumors a wonderful distraction leading nowhere?
post #138 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Wow I'm surprised no one is saying much about the 6750M at 1GB! This is a major leap in GPU power... I was originally just planning on the entry level 15" MBP but when I saw the GPU on the higher end.... haha going to have to save a bit more money :P... Can't wait to game on the windows partition I'll probably make and also excited for the mac side as well...

I am very happy about that!
post #139 of 180
Why is Apple skimping on RAM speed and graphics memory?

The $1799, 15 inch Macbook Pro only has 256 MB of graphics memory.

The system RAM in all the MacBook Pros is DDR3-1333 even though DDR3-1600 laptop memory is available.

For what are supposed to be premium laptops, is this sort of cost cutting really worth it?
post #140 of 180
Wow, first Geekbenches in. Faster than all but the most powerful 8/12-core MacPros.

http://www.9to5mac.com/53810/new-mac...ntelligence%29

post #141 of 180
Is it worth paying the extra $250 for 2.3Ghz rather than 2.2?
post #142 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkinsadam1 View Post

Is it worth paying the extra $250 for 2.3Ghz rather than 2.2?

Never.
post #143 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

there are none for sale by anyone yet, 6 is a lot.

I know, and with hubs the # of connections could be extended well beyond that. I was just surprised because FW supports 64 devices (theoretically), IIRC.
post #144 of 180
Bought one today (2.2ghz 15"). Very pleased, my first Mac. Most responsive computer I've ever owned. Very exciting. I would agree that it is not worth an upgrade from last generation, though. Would wait for more significant overhaul, unless performance is your only concern.
post #145 of 180
Geekbench result for the 15" 2.0 GHz: 8838

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/361065
post #146 of 180
Nice updates, and Thunderbolt will be great in a few months when there's something to use it with. But same screen, same size, same weight, same optical, still only 8gb memory...what's the big deal?
post #147 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I already have an Air. It's a nice and portable machine, but not usable as a main computer. I don't want less, I simply don't want a feature I never make use of (and which takes up about 25% of the internal space on an MBP).

Seriously, I'm so sick of people saying "just get an Air" when someone points out the fact that the Superdrive is obsolete. An Air does not have a quad-core CPU. An Air does not have a large, hi-res display. An Air does not have a dedicated GPU. An Air does not have enough storage. An Air does not have 8GB RAM. An Air does not have Thunderbolt. An Air does not have a backlit keyboard.

It does have one thing the MBP should have gotten today, though, and that's the dedicated SSD - and no superfluous ODD.

Oh well, just do it yourself then. $200 will get you what you want, much cheaper than Apple's bto option.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #148 of 180
The optical drive is the first thing I removed from my MacBook Pro 17". I replaced it with another hard drive, but could have easily replaced it with nothing and I would have still considered it an upgrade.

Seriously Apple, get rid of the built-in optical drives. I haven't used one of those easily scratched things in YEARS! You ay as well put a floppy drive in there
post #149 of 180
Quote:

I already have an Air. It's a nice and portable machine, but not usable as a main computer. I don't want less, I simply don't want a feature I never make use of (and which takes up about 25% of the internal space on an MBP).

Seriously, I'm so sick of people saying "just get an Air" when someone points out the fact that the Superdrive is obsolete. An Air does not have a quad-core CPU. An Air does not have a large, hi-res display. An Air does not have a dedicated GPU. An Air does not have enough storage. An Air does not have 8GB RAM. An Air does not have Thunderbolt. An Air does not have a backlit keyboard.

It does have one thing the MBP should have gotten today, though, and that's the dedicated SSD - and no superfluous ODD.

You forgot the most important thing: the Air doesn't have an extra 4.3 lbs in the trunk.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #150 of 180
[
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

That's funny. It's like saying I want that BMW without the CD drive, and the response is 'Then get a Honda'.

I want the pro level machine with more battery life and no ODD. Not sure why that desire threatens folks so much.

Now you know how people feel when they want a smaller, cheaper version of the Mac Pro and are told "Then get a Mini".
post #151 of 180
still optical drives? come on, loose those already.
i dont want to retrofit a new MBP with an extra SSD
post #152 of 180
I really, really hate when shiny new stuff comes out, and I have absolutely no reason to buy it.

I would love one of those 15" i7 MBP units. That looks sweet.
post #153 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I am thinking of replacing my MBP with a VAIO.

What? are you kidding me? from apple to PC? to Windows? Who was the one who said there is one born every minute?
post #154 of 180
Gotta love these new MacBook's!
I have a "new" 15" MBP which I bought a couple of months ago and even though it's a great machine, I'm drooling for the new ones.
The benchmarks on these things show amazing performance. Who cares if the battery took a 1-2 hour hit, you can get a lot more out of these new MBPs.

Oh and I don't mind the lack of USB 3.0, I honestly don't think it will become much of a standard as it's previous "generation".
In terms of data transfer, Thunderbolt has twice the performance, and I get why Apple made their bet on it.
Not only it's fast, it's "made" by Intel, which also happens to be a manufacturer for USB 3.0. So you know Intel will want to give top performance. That means it has growth potential.
Besides, USB 3.0 has barely taken off at all imo.

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

post #155 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I really, really hate when shiny new stuff comes out, and I have absolutely no reason to buy it.

I would love one of those 15" i7 MBP units. That looks sweet.

arrrggghhhhg - I must have one, so that I ........ I MUST HAVE ONE!

But we're Bowerbirds, we love bright & shinny.

Bowerbird: The most notable characteristic of bowerbirds is their extraordinarily complex courtship and mating behaviour, where males build a bower to attract mates <not that description>

This, is why we're Bowerbirds
The other major bowerbuilding clade builds an avenue type bower made of two walls of vertically placed sticks. In and around the bower the male places a variety of brightly colored objects he has collected.
These objects usually different among each species may include hundreds of shells, leaves, flowers, feathers, stones, berries
and even discarded plastic items, coins, nails, rifle shells, or pieces of glass. The males spend hours arranging this collection.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #156 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually I'm enjoying myself. The Apple SlamBoys would have been all over this like flies on poop. Where are they? Man, this material is gold for them.

Yes I WILL CALM DOWN SOON.

BruceP where are you we need your sage (though borderline incomprehensible) take on things!

i laff hard on that one i am playing borderlands for 4 days now
apple now has a system humming along quite fast right now

an incredible apple design team that morphes each new future type tech>>like thunderbolt into each new item for sale

so ball these new fangled wild stuff will be moved to all the other magical apple stuff

on and on so no one can ever catch apple

wow
wow and my verizon I-PHONE
it does fucking everything
the flashlight app is so bright .
any way i regret waiting so long .

i reccomend everybody buy the ipod touch and the iphone and put different media on each one , so if one battery goes out you have a great back up

as for the new apple MP line up well they have a weak i/2 from all the 13 inchers to the bottom of 15in ones

these lack of decent graphic cards made me buy the 2 chip 3.02ghz 15 in 2yrs ago
and i will buy again the top-o-line 15right now . and sell the old one

but apple really has to get some real graphic crads on all machines and stop hoping for a cloud rescuse .

aapl will be $ 600 in 18 months and still be cheap
the world only now is finding out how cool apple can be

i hope i did nvida right here ,

my real name is lostplay

peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam71 View Post

definitely a step in the right direction, got my name down on a 15". Just have to keep it away form the wife who dropped her last one two days after she bought it! Still works though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Gotta love the nitpickers.

I'm actually pretty hard to impress, but I have to say "Well done, Apple."
I'm interested enough to take an external to the store and see how it performs vs my current (2010) MBP 17. It may well end up that yet another family member gets a surprise gift this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

Thunderbolt is a much better interface...I use FW800 for disk arrays all the time and can't wait to buy a Thunderbolt array. But I agree, I wish they did at least give them USB 3.0 ports.

Because Blu-Ray sucks, for both content authors and system integrators due to the licensing. But let's not get back into the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray argument. Do you really think they keep Blu-Ray out of the Mac to protect their iTunes revenue stream? Please. Blu-ray sales do not compare well to standard definition DVDs, the players are klunky and slow, and Apple's iTunes HD videos not only look excellent (even though they are at 720P), but they're $10 cheaper than a typical Blu-Ray disk. I never want to buy a darn DVD again.

It's your choice, but I personally feel the Vaio (I use one at work) is a poor shadow of even my 2-year-old MBP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheiser View Post

I for one am getting a pimped out 15", come on, a quad core in a laptop is pretty sweet.
This will run rings around my 2006 iMac.
The only thing is that a 256GB SSD is a 500€ option, a bit much if you ask me. Will probably get a 7200 RPM Harddrive and upgrade to an SSD when they become a bit more affordable.

apple of course for all my bitching has again hit super home runs with this fast new line up of MBP

AND MBA will merge soon enough

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #157 of 180
It's kind of funny how people are simultaneously complaining that the SuperDrive is still included while complaining that a teeny, tiny adapter might need to be used to connect USB to the Thunderbolt port.
post #158 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually I'm enjoying myself. The Apple SlamBoys would have been all over this like flies on poop. Where are they? Man, this material is gold for them.

Yes I WILL CALM DOWN SOON.

BruceP where are you we need your sage (though borderline incomprehensible) take on things!

what devices have thunder in them ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #159 of 180
Quote:

Is it so hard to comprehend that there are thousands of USB devices designed for this?

A couple DVDs this past week? That's NOTHING. Hopefully you used your machine far more often than that...and if you did, you could have benefited from no DVD drive.

Do you carry the machine around when burning? Highly doubtful. An accessory for this rare occasion would not kill you, and would benefit you all other moments.

Vast majority my ass. The vast majority have used the drive once to make sure it works.

come on man. no need to get this fired up. different people have different needs, some people use the OD more than others. Its not like, steve jobs/apple will look at this forum and say "hey! this guy is still using cd/dvds! lets keep them!" apple decides what they want to do regardless. if its still in there, then theres definitely still a market for cds. cd/dvds have been around for a while now, isn't apple one of the computer companies that actually wants to get rid of it? calm down, and stop bashing on other people who don't share the same perspective you do.
post #160 of 180
Quote:

Is it so hard to comprehend that there are thousands of USB devices designed for this?

A couple DVDs this past week? That's NOTHING. Hopefully you used your machine far more often than that...and if you did, you could have benefited from no DVD drive.

Do you carry the machine around when burning? Highly doubtful. An accessory for this rare occasion would not kill you, and would benefit you all other moments.

Vast majority my ass. The vast majority have used the drive once to make sure it works.

and also, he may be wrong about the vast majority. but the vast majority of US are not "pros". I'm glad to see Apple sticking the Macbook "Pros" for professionals' needs not for normal web browsers and game players. These professionals are NOT vast majority, and most art majors and photographers, as well as music artists STILL use CD and rely heavily on them.
I am an extreme audiophile, and i know for a fact that, music played from a computer even with an amazing audio card and a crazy expensive amplifier will NOT, and NOT even CLOSE to music played from a cd that is burned with great power control and quality. and THAT is professional. I understand that the macbook pro is still a mobile machine, yet even the dvds/cds burnt from a mobile machine will still have a MAJOR difference in sound quality as compared to stereo and amplifier hooked onto a laptop or even an iMac. btw, iMac produces shit sound from its audio out, but the cds made from it is at least acceptable.

ironically, I too, would like my macbook pro odd-less, so I can include an extra ssd. I too, would not want a macbook air because simply it is not a mbp and does not have the horsepower the mbp has. i too, like the 15in, the quad core and the high graphics so i can put the games i play on ultra spec. but at the same time, although i probably am part of the "vast" majority of users, i am not considered a professional like the macbook "pros" are dubbed. apple was known to favor the media world not gamers, alienware is known for gamers. and honestly, id really like apple to remain that way (keeps the people who just began loving apple because of the hype and the trend away). btw, i also prefer the prices for apple to remain high, keeping apple's exclusivity (WAY too many people have apple products now). bottom line: professionals, those who are NOT vast majority deserves a professional laptop that still has optical drive for them, and thats what keeps macbook pro's professional. Not the vast majority who just wants a good looking badass laptop that normal students/gamers/consumers need. im sure we all know that other laptop brands do not have the software artists love.

When the time is right, apple will remove the ODD, barking dogs like you wont make a difference.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs