or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Sources detail new features in Apple's first beta of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sources detail new features in Apple's first beta of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion - Page 3

post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

He wants the equivalent of moving a file without having to drag it (because presumably he doesn't want to have to have both source and destination folders open at the same time or rely on spring loaded folders.). And he doesn't want to use the shell or a script. In Windows, you can select the file and click "cut", then navigate at your leisure elsewhere and click "paste". Let me tell you, I am as big a Mac bigot as they come, but I am forced to use Windows at work. And I find this feature useful on occasion.

Thompson

I use windows at work and I hate it.
So you cut a file, then you go for a smoke or coffee break, then come back in a few hours and presto, you simply paste it in the location you want.
Wow ! If I cut/copy/paste stuff I have two explorer windows open, whats the big deal, I do the same on my Macs.
I simply cannot see why this is even mentioned or commented about a dozen times.
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I use windows at work and I hate it.

I hate it too. But as I said, they force me to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

So you cut a file, then you go for a smoke or coffee break, then come back in a few hours and presto, you simply paste it in the location you want. Wow !

Yeah... well that doesn't seem to be a real driving need does it? Thanks for the condescending strawman smackdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

If I cut/copy/paste stuff I have two explorer windows open, whats the big deal, I do the same on my Macs.

Well, as I said previously, I have, in fact, found this feature useful on occasion. One example situation that comes to mind is this: suppose you have a whole bunch of Finder windows open on the screen with many of them obscured by others. Perhaps your source folder is one of the frontmost, but your destination is buried somewhere beneath. Suppose further that there is very little to distinguish these folders from one another without actually being able to read the file names (e.g. they all contain a bunch of text files, like source code, perhaps, and the folder names are long and difficult to parse quickly). In this case, Expose is not a great deal of help in identifying your target. So you click around to find your destination Folder, and when you find it, you discover that the SOURCE file has now become obscured. So you do the little "slightly-drag-the-windows" thing and re-click a few times until you finally get your two folders visible - or at least sufficiently partially visible - side by side. Then you drag the file(s) you want to move. Or, you could have just pasted the file as soon as you found the destination in the first place. I find that useful, because it avoids the annoying window dance.

There are probably other scenarios too... I can't remember the situations precisely because when they occur I just do what is most easily done and forget about it. We're not talking something Earth-shattering here. It's just a nice touch to avoid occasional annoyance... the kind of touch that Apple typically puts some thought into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I simply cannot see why this is even mentioned or commented about a dozen times.

Perhaps you should use some of that wonderful imagination you have (demonstrated in your smoke break example) trying to come up with situations where it might actually be helpful, rather than assuming everyone else's comments are ridiculous.

Thompson
post #83 of 87
With Apple adding the changes history to so many apps it would be great if the System Clipboard would also keep a running tab on all changes so you could access all previous copies going back to the last time you cleared them. I think there is an app that does this same thing but I cant remember its name.
post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Windows 7 is looking antiquated by comparison.

New OS looks newer than not new OS. News at 7.


post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

New OS looks newer than not new OS. News at 7.

The word "antiquated" implies much more than "less new". If many people feel this way, then it may result in ever-increasing Mac market share, which would, in fact, be newsworthy.

Thompson
post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I use windows at work and I hate it.
So you cut a file, then you go for a smoke or coffee break, then come back in a few hours and presto, you simply paste it in the location you want.
Wow ! If I cut/copy/paste stuff I have two explorer windows open, whats the big deal, I do the same on my Macs.
I simply cannot see why this is even mentioned or commented about a dozen times.

Maybe because not everyone thinks like you and/or works like you? Did it not occur to you that maybe someone would rather simply cut and paste a file rather than have to open an entire new window to accomplish the same thing?

Apple has decided we need cut and paste on iOS yet they won't let us have it on Mac OS X. And no, cutting is not destructive. It's not destructive on Windows, Linux, NeXTstep, iOS or any of the other operating systems out there that have such a basic feature.
post #87 of 87
Is carbon supported in Lion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Sources detail new features in Apple's first beta of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion