or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps

Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

My biggest (and only, so far) complaint with the new interface changes is the loss of color in the sidebar from apps like Mail and Finder. Seems like in this way, iTunes was indeed a hint of things to come. The gray sidebar in iTunes causes me daily confusion. I really don't look forward to a similar effect with the rest of the OS.

I love it. It's moving towards a more modern looking OPENSTEP. The Content was King in OPENSTEP and the Controls were consistent and grey scale.
post #42 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

It won't feel counter intuitive when you see them in action. They slide from side to side, rather than depress. It also makes sense for the selected option to stand out, and having a "slider button" under the option and the rest further behind will enhance readability.

You're right, you know. It's just a bit jarring to switch from one to another. Also it would be a bit more intuitive if there were some very light vertical bars under the selected option to mimic how real sliders appear. Just wishful thinking as that will probably take away from the beauty and simplicity...
post #43 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I hope the addressbook hooks up with facebook. This way my contacts will be updated automatically.

The only way I want this is if there is a backup of all changes like with other apps mentioned so I can reverse any change or deletion someone makes that is not correct or to see previous info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The number of apps that need pinpoint location information is few and far between (unless you are using your Mac for a GPS while driving or something). Extra software is much cheaper than extra hardware.

There ARE however, lots of software that could easily benefit from a rough estimate of your location. Even if you don't have a GPS chip, if you're in a metro area, you can get some ridiculously accurate locations (also, I'm pretty sure if you use your iPhone in the same location, it sends data back to improve the database).

My 2 cents.

Sure, weather, movies and maps (for example) can be used with apps, widgets and websites from the ISP location or A-GPS, but things like Find My Mac would need a GPS chip for sure.
post #44 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

The only way I want this is if there is a backup of all changes like with other apps mentioned so I can reverse any change or deletion someone makes that is not correct or to see previous info.

Sure, weather, movies and maps (for example) can be used with apps, widgets and websites from the ISP location or A-GPS, but things like Find My Mac would need a GPS chip for sure.

My wifi only iPad locates to exactly the same place as my iPhone when at home, and it has no GPS or 3G chip in it - I can only presume the Wireless MAC address grab by Google for Streetview has something to do with that...
post #45 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

new mail sucks.

Dear Apple:
1. Please fix the messages in the Inbox to stay bold until they are actually opened. I f I just touch it the bold font turns off same as if I have actually read the message. I leave my messages in bold as a reminder, when I cannot act on them until later.

2. Allow us to sort mail messages and then sub-sort (like in a spreadsheet) to find old messages.

3. Please add the ability to view the contacts in the address book in a column view (like MS Entourage). I often cannot remember an person's name, but I know what company they are with. In Entourage I was able to view multiple columns showing the company name, contact name, state, etc. all at the same time. Thus, I could sort by company name & state and then look at the reduced list.

Using the search function in Address Book brings up a lot of irrelevant contacts. Try typing "rob" in the search field and it pulls up any contact with "rob" in ANY of its fields(including the street name, notes, etc. EVEN if "rob" is found within one of the words. Thus it creates long lists that are cumbersome to sort through.
post #46 of 141

Ok, we see the 'icing' or 'gravy' on top

But the 'cake' or 'meat/potatoes' underneath ?

Is what Truly makes the Mac OS Great

And not much said about that

We'll see once 'dinner is served'

Otherwise ...

Read my other posting on this 'subject'

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1815218

Won't belabor that point here and now

But will in the future if need to

Get my drift Apple ?

post #47 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by delete View Post

So those mail entries in the the list shown that take up 4 lines of space with extra padding is less in your face that just a list?

In that regard, you may be right, but I was speaking generally. For me, my junk mail filter works really well and I usually file things away as soon as they come in, so it isn't a big deal, but the answer to your question is.. Yes, you can change the way it works. For one, you can choose 'classic' view and it is laid out just like the current Mail. You can also choose how long the message preview is or turn it off.

EDIT: Oh, and you can also change the setting for showing the unnecessary 'To/CC' icon and/or have it show the contact picture. If you turn all that off, you can just have the 'from' and 'subject' fields displayed.
post #48 of 141
Any word on stability of the release?
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love it. It's moving towards a more modern looking OPENSTEP. The Content was King in OPENSTEP and the Controls were consistent and grey scale.

Interesting observation.
post #50 of 141
So are user managed folders gone now?
post #51 of 141
I didn't see any week numbers in iCal. Does anyone have this developer seed, and can you see if there is a preference to turn this on?

Thanks,
PhilBoogie
post #52 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

[Regarding the depressed button issue]

Well, okay, it's a slider. That's a big shift in what many users will recall from previous UIs.

It's like getting into a mirror image car with the driver's controls on the right and the pedals reversed (no, there isn't any such car widely available). Try using your left foot to press the accelerator on the far left, then move it rightward to brake. Turning your steering wheel clockwise to turn right results in a left turn. Better get a lot of practice on a road lined with rubber bushes and trees!

If you use the Reeder for Mac preview, it implements a slider control for moving between starred, unread and all items. Try it - you soon get used to it.
New books out now! www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
New books out now! www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
post #53 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by troehl View Post

I'm confused by the new tab control... is the currently selected tab raised and the tab options dimmed and set into the background? That seems exactly opposite of the way that they should behave. If I was first presented with that control I would assume that the one raised tab was the only one clickable. Or am I just misreading these screen shots?

No ... imagine the slider control ... the raised area is what you drag right or left to activate another tab. If it were a touch screen for example.
post #54 of 141
My biggest wish is that they fix the incredibly annoying behaviour of Mail which essentially just throws its hands up and gives in if a single login to a mail server fails. This is just wrong behaviour.

Secondly would be a wish that you can switch off the sidebar in the Finder - even if you set all your windows to be without the sidebar it STILL keeps coming back in new windows etc. Why can't the user have the freedom to decide that they don't want the sidebar? I would also like the ability to have an icon in the Dock which represents the computer for quick access to drives and connected servers, just like the sidebar but WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE IT IN EVERY BL**DY FINDER WINDOW.

Interestingly you can drag the proxy icon from every Finder window to the Dock except the ones for the Computer and Network windows... Seems like Apple are forcing you to Do It Their Way...
The truth is behind you
The truth is behind you
post #55 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

All I ask is for is an option in System Preferences. Even if it's only an option between 'color' and 'gray scale.'
post #56 of 141
bringing a lot of the iOS UI to the Mac is great, but the big question is, will it run iOS apps too?

i know some will not work. but most would with all the new touch controls. since we see that Lion will definitely keep Dashboard, they could run there like widgets, which they resemble visually, tho they are far more powerful.

that would be a sensation, since many iOS apps are terrific, being so well focused on easy acces to specific purposes.

i would expect Apple to hold this back until the big Lion launch, to max the PR impact.
post #57 of 141
Looks great, but two things:
1. Is there an option for legacy exposé? (mission control is not for me)
2. addressbook. Seriously apple? Seriously?
post #58 of 141
I hope they'll allow us the option of setting the background for all Finder windows as that cool new dark gray fabric they have. That white background is just too bright for my liking. Otherwise, I'm really liking what I'm seeing here.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #59 of 141
Quote:

I'm confused by the new tab control... is the currently selected tab raised and the tab options dimmed and set into the background? That seems exactly opposite of the way that they should behave. If I was first presented with that control I would assume that the one raised tab was the only one clickable. Or am I just misreading these screen shots?

I think what they did was remove the buttons and make them sliders. If they're sliders, they make sense to be "out" on the selected item. But I also agree that this change is confusing and almost the opposite of what people expect at first glance.
post #60 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

EDIT: Oh, and you can also change the setting for showing the unnecessary 'To/CC' icon and/or have it show the contact picture. If you turn all that off, you can just have the 'from' and 'subject' fields displayed.

That's all good to know. Thanks.
post #61 of 141
Quote:

You are not reading it incorrectly. It seems odd. They'll either change it before release or we'll get used to it. My bet is they change it. I would have loved if Apple had of squared-off the traffic lights, like the window buttons, with the subtle rounded corners.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #62 of 141
What's with apple greying out most buttons, and all sidebars, it looks a flat horrid mess.
post #63 of 141
Will Finder windows remember their view settings like they did before 10.5?
post #64 of 141
Not exact, but the idea is there:

post #65 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykz View Post

Oh.. just saw scrolling-is-bass-ackwards-in-lion . Now we know for sure...

That video was what I was looking for - they've removed aqua from the bars finally and they have what looks like the iTunes style scrollbar though it could also be the iOS one. This is a very welcome change. I don't mind the window buttons but the scrollbar style I don't like.

The scrolling direction will take a bit of getting used to but it makes sense. Some people will want to pull the page down so content goes up, others will want to pull the content down so the page goes up, you have to offer both really on a machine with multiple inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

Not exact, but the idea is there:

I'd personally rather have just the characters so just a cross, a minus and a plus with no border. I'd actually put the window states separate and in a row but multiples to allow for other states like iTunes minimise. Full screen would be the right-most, docked would be the left-most.
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Seems like Apple are forcing you to Do It Their Way...

That has been the corporate mantra for a long time. Don't tell me you're new to the platform?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #67 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd personally rather have just the characters so just a cross, a minus and a plus with no border.

I think it needs to be color-coded for most users though, despite how cool it may look.

post #68 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Umm... use a tabbed web browser. They *all* use raised tabs to indicate the current one.

Yes, browser tabs do that. But every other button in OS X (OK, 99%) "depresses" and darkens when selected. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it might just take some getting used to, to remember that the darkened ones are NOT selected.
post #69 of 141
I'm loving the new OS. The new multitouch touch gestures are cool - especially in Safari.
post #70 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Anyone?

I don't have the beta, but from the screenshots: In the Systems Preferences, there are separate gestures for Expose and Mission Control.

Expose: Four-finger swipe up/down
Mission Control: Three-finger swipe
-though, this is a drop-down choice. I dunno what other choices for three fingers there are.

So I assume that you can still do expose only.
post #71 of 141
Graphically, I like the look of all the UI elements that appear in the System Preferences screenshots. The textual tabs/slidey look ok (though I don't get the need for sliders).

iCal and Finder, not so much - it's a little overly dark and textured and as others have said, reverses the existing behaviour and gives the impression that the unselected options are unclickable.
post #72 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

I absolutely agree with you. And it's ugly!

I love the new tab control. Never have understood it the other way. Ones not being used should be greyer or pressed back.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #73 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think it needs to be color-coded for most users though, despite how cool it may look.

color coding is something that's very sadly missing from lion, like I said, what's with greying (or coloring over) every other button, and every side bar...
post #74 of 141
Is there any chance that "Search" is usable again in Preview.app?

Snow Leopard removed the list of hits along with context in the sidebar, leaving only the pretty-but-useless page view. Even iBooks provides proper text results in its search!

(Leopard also used Spotlight's index to make the searches instantaneous. Not so in Snow Leopard.)
post #75 of 141
I like the idea of being able to use iOS' spellchecker in Lion. Some people will love it. Personally, though, I do NOT want it.

If I am typing at speed and I make a mistake, I may not notice that Lion has taken a guess and corrected it for me and I may easily miss the strange word before I sent the email, document etc.

Currently, if I type at speed and make a mistake, Snow Leopard underlines it in red and I can't miss it. I can then give my attention to the mistake and right-click to select the correct spelling, which is nearly always on the list.

Of course, given that I can use a full-sized keyboard with Lion, the typos will probably correspond to the number one suggestion Lion makes with the spellchecker, as opposed to in iOS where the typos may be more severe and more likely to prove too much for the spellchecker to accurately correct.

I am just saying that I really hope we are given the choice to keep it as it is or switch to the iOS implementation. I don't make many typos, but when I do, I want to know about them.
post #76 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Not big on having AddressBook look like a book.

I fervently concur with this comment. Is this some attempt to virtually steampunk our perceptions of what we now consider everyday life, with the dreams of the first 'data keeper' of the Alenxander Graham Bell (and perhaps prior) era??
post #77 of 141
Perhaps Copy & Pasting folders will no longer 'overrite' a destined folder of the same name?!
post #78 of 141
Additional WTF moment. Why on earth is the fullscreen button in the right hand top corner?
post #79 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

Additional WTF moment. Why on earth is the fullscreen button in the right hand top corner?

Apple are actually smoking dope. That's the only explanation.
post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's only color-coded when you use the aqua theme though. The graphite one isn't. I think the shapes are enough for people, as evidenced by the fact the maximise button has no color-code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonius

There's no other color for it on the left and the right side is where the lozenge used to be, though that might still exist on some windows.

I'd put all of the window positioning buttons on the right and close on the left. Too many times I see people mistakingly close a window when they mean to minimise or vice versa.

I originally thought about using squares on the right but what makes more logical sense is a set of bars like a phone signal where a flat line means docked and full bar means maximise. Normal windows would have 3 bars but the iTunes one would have 4 bars where the second one would be minimal player and the 3rd one is normal.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps