or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week

Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week

post #1 of 121
While media reports have shed considerable doubt on Apple's capacity to facilitate a full-scale launch of its second-generation iPad in the short term, AppleInsider has reason to believe that customers could be holding the new tablet device in their hands shortly after next Wednesday's press event.

According to people familiar with the matter, Apple is preparing several of its operating segments to perform functions during the second half of next week that are representative of nothing short of a large scale, consumer-oriented product roll out (not just an announcement). And with official invitations to next Wednesday's press briefing clearly indicating a focus on iPad, these people believe at least one version of the refreshed device will be in transit to retail outlets during that briefing.

It should be noted that while nothing is definitive till Apple issues a statement, these same people have consistently provided accurate information regarding Apple's future product plans and the timing related to those plans. At the same time, their predictions arrive in stark contrast to a variety of reports over the past few weeks that have insinuated Apple would for some reason choose preview a new iPad at the top of the month but be unable to ship it till the end of the month, the following month or sometime thereafter.

In less than a year, the iPad has rapidly grown from what was once thought to be a niche product into an asset that's on the verge of generating 20% of Apple's business on a quarter-to-quarter basis. Of the $26.74 billion in revenue the Cupertino-based company reported for its first fiscal quarter of 2011, $4.61 billion was attributed to the iPad, of which $4.4 billion was from the sale of the device itself. Therefore, teasing new iPads that wouldn't ship for 4 weeks or more would undoubtedly bring sales of existing models to a halt and possibly cost the company billions.

It should also be noted that the logistics of the WiFi iPad are similar to that of an iPod, rather than an iPhone or 3G iPad. Those two products have, and are likely to continue to be pre-announced, as Apple requires the cooperation of its carrier partners to usher those devices to market; partners that it doesn't trust to keep a tight lid on proprietary information and are therefore sometimes made aware of the company's precise plans in-line with the general public. To the contrary, the roll-out of a WiFi-only device is contingent on only Apple itself.

As it stands, Apple is expected to introduce the second-generation iPad in three variants and several different capacities. In addition to WiFi and GSM-based models targeted at AT&T and a broad range of European 3G providers, a CDMA version catering to Verizon and some Far Eastern providers is also reportedly in the cards. These models are reportedly code-named K93, K94, and K5, and carry initial build volumes of 1.9 million, 2.3 million and 0.8 million, respectively.

Aesthetically, the second-gen iPads are said to be somewhat slimmer and lighter, sporting a redesigned speaker grill and re-located SIM slot. They're also expected to feature 30-35% thinner display panels from LG and Samsung with "anti-reflection" technology to deliver a better experience in bright sunlight. As AppleInsider reported last month, they aren't expected to include SD Card slots or Retina-quality displays, the latter of which is now targeted at a successive revision to the tablet.

Under the hood, the new iPads are believed to employ a so-called Apple A5 chip based around a Cortex-A9 dual core processor. This chip is said to deliver a better balance between computing power and power consumption than existing models. Similarly, the new models are also expected to pack ultrafast, dual core SGX543 graphics on the order of two to three times faster than the chip in the current iPad, a faster memory (1,066 MHz) clock, and a doubling of on-board RAM to 512MB.

Of course, they'll also run iOS 4.3 and feature a forward-facing FaceTime camera for video conferencing, which Apple is expected to heavily leverage in its marketing campaigns surrounding the device. For more on expectations for the new iPad, please see AppleInsider's iPad 2 information archive or the in-house reports of interest, below:

Source: SD Card slot on Apple's next-gen iPad just a rumor

Over 60% of Apple's first-wave iPad 2 production to be 3G models

Apple to pack ultrafast, dual core SGX543 graphics into iPad 2, iPhone 5

Report details iPad 2 components, 5 million unit supply

Apple confirms March 2 media event to introduce iPad 2

Apple to move aggressively on FaceTime, camera-equipped iPads
post #2 of 121
So close to the new MBPs, it would be a shock. Then again, I guess 95% of the general public have no idea the new laptops came out, so... I take it back.

Bring 'em on!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #3 of 121
Why SD card slot been crossed out in favour of SIM card when a SIM card isn’t usually something you switch out (though I have considered a China case maker will create a cut out for it), but not the mDP port in favour of Thunderbolt or something else.

While I don’t think that a Thunderbolt/mDP port interface will appear on the iPad I can’t see Apple moving forward with a mDP port interface that doesn’t include Thunderbolt connectivity. Personally, I’m more inclined to think it’s a much better quality and better placed microphone before I think it’s an mDP port interface, but that’s just a weighing of the options I’ve been given up to this point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 121
If Apple was going to ship an iPad 2 as early as next week, it would make sense that in the weeks leading up to its availability, it would behoove them to encourage (generate?) disinformation to indicate late iPad 2 availability, i.e. weeks or even months away, to avoid a rapid drop off in sales of the original iPad.
post #5 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

So close to the new MBPs, it would be a shock. Then again, I guess 95% of the general public have no idea the new laptops came out, so... I take it back.

Bring 'em on!

I dont see the proximity to the MBP release being an issue (after all we did get the announcement of the March 2nd iPad 2 event before the new MBPs went on sale), but I think its unlikely to announce and ship so quickly such a popular product without a leak of the actual HW details before the keynote as there would literally have to be millions made and shipped (unless availability refers to buying online and having it sent directly from Foxconn in China).
post #6 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I dont think that a Thunderbolt/mDP port interface will appear on the iPad I cant see Apple moving forward with a mDP port interface that doesnt include Thunderbolt connectivity. Personally, Im more inclined to think its a much better quality and better placed microphone before I think its an mDP port interface, but thats just a weighing of the options Ive been given up to this point.

Apple's 30-pin connector is more or less hitting its limit (e.g., no digital audio/video output). It's possible that Apple maybe looking at Thunderbolt to replace it. Faster syncing, ability to output audio/video to monitors and TVs (via HDMI adapter)... why not?

As for the microphone, it doesn't need a big opening.

With Verizon (and soon AT&T) offering WiFi hotspot capability with iPhone, I am hoping WiFi iPad 2 will gain GPS.
post #7 of 121
"According to people familiar with the matter..."

What passes for journalism these days is like an adolescent clique, only pompous and without the promise of unwrinkled people having sex.
post #8 of 121
If I see that pink iPad case photo in one more AI article, I think I'm gonna puke.
post #9 of 121
"What passes for journalism these days is like an adolescent clique, only pompous and without the promise of unwrinkled people having sex."

Fabulously funny and accurate.
post #10 of 121
Surprise! Your toy is ready early.

I don't know why they didn't change their name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Toy Co, Inc.
post #11 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't know why they didn't change their name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Toy Co, Inc.

Dare I ask?
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #12 of 121
Quote:

Ooh la la.

We have a snob in our midst!
post #13 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Apple's 30-pin connector is more or less hitting its limit (e.g., no digital audio/video output). It's possible that Apple maybe looking at Thunderbolt to replace it. Faster syncing, ability to output audio/video to monitors and TVs (via HDMI adapter)... why not?

With Verizon (and soon AT&T) offering WiFi hotspot capability with iPhone, I am hoping WiFi iPad 2 will gain GPS.

IPad 3. Not before.
post #14 of 121
It (Apples iPad2) almost has to with an Cortex A9 derived SoC. Otherwise Apples investment in PA Semi and Intrisity won't be paying off. Not that I've ever thought that the designing of your own SoC is easy or even makes sense in this market.

Hopefully the performance jump is as big as was seem in the MBP. Actually a bigger jump would be better.
post #15 of 121
Quote:

It also doesnt have to be placed in the center, but I just dont see a mDP port at the butt end from the 30-pin connector.

How about an IR sensor? It would be a pretty cool way to control your TV/DVR.
post #16 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why SD card slot been crossed out in favour of SIM card when a SIM card isnt usually something you switch out (though I have considered a China case maker will create a cut out for it), but not the mDP port in favour of Thunderbolt or something else.

While I dont think that a Thunderbolt/mDP port interface will appear on the iPad I cant see Apple moving forward with a mDP port interface that doesnt include Thunderbolt connectivity. Personally, Im more inclined to think its a much better quality and better placed microphone before I think its an mDP port interface, but thats just a weighing of the options Ive been given up to this point.

Hey Sol,

Welcome back... Good to see ya'.

Some of us are hoping that iPad 2 Thunderbolt will be the defining characheristic --- along with the dually-dually-dually.

Sent from my iPad 1.4.3 beta 3
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #17 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"According to people familiar with the matter..."

What passes for journalism these days is like an adolescent clique, only pompous and without the promise of unwrinkled people having sex.

We wrinlkers remember having... Ah, er... What were we discussing?

post #18 of 121
I'm not saying it wont happen, but the "reasoning" in this article as to why they mighht do this is just plain stupid. The supposed "lost sales" due to pre-announcing is vastly over-emphasised for starters. it reads like some crazy conspiracy theory.
post #19 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Dare I ask?

best not to feed the trolls.
post #20 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Dare I ask?

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games. Since the iPad is primarily designed for the later, it is not for adults and therefore a toy.

Certainly at the big family get-together at Christmas, while the kids/teenagers were glued to their Touches and iPads, with the exception of one woman, all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.
post #21 of 121
Quote:

I think you're making a classic mistake here in thinking that because *you* really want feature x, that of course everyone wants feature x.

The idea of attaching a wire to your mobile device so you can send signals over it to your TV set is just not something that the majority of folks care about. Of those that do, most are happier with the wireless option already provided. You're just thinking "old fashioned" here.

Just yesterday I had to work an event where people were presenting media with their iPads and there were no airplay devices available. We had to use (shudder), wires and it was awful. You have a four inch dongle stuck to the bottom with a 15 foot VGA cable doing it's best to drag the dongle out of the 30 pin port. Then you need an audio plug jacked in the top that connects through a similar length of audio cable using an adapter at the projector end. You need both hands to hold the iPad, and have to keep the cables bunched up in the other hand to ensure they don't slip out.

It's almost impossible to do any kind of walking presentation and the iPads ended up being taped to an old podium just to keep it manageable at all. As soon as there is an alternative, (and guess what there already is), wires are history.
post #22 of 121
It (Apples iPad2) almost has to with an Cortex A9 derived SoC. Otherwise Apples investment in PA Semi and Intrisity won't be paying off. Not that I've ever thought that the designing of your own SoC is easy or even makes sense in this market.

Hopefully the performance jump is as big as was seem in the MBP. Actually a bigger jump would be better.
post #23 of 121
The RAM is no longer going to be integrated in the CPU package as with the A4? Hmm...
post #24 of 121
So cool. I waited for the 2nd gen and here it is. I will be getting my hands on my first iPad as soon as it is on sale.
I cant wait.
post #25 of 121
Oops, dupe...
post #26 of 121
Quote:

all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.

Further cementing "dinosaur" status with their kids.

What's the surprise here?

Did any of the adults yell "get off my computing experience" too?
post #27 of 121
Quote:

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games. Since the iPad is primarily designed for the later, it is not for adults and therefore a toy.

You are clearly ignorant.

iPads are being used for many different professional applications. I'll be getting an iPad2 because of a whole slew of reasons, but one of the main reasons is to use it as a remote control for my DAW (Logic).

I already own various Mac desktops and Mac laptops. The iPad is in a different category. Good luck with your shortsightedness, your ignorance and your general cluelessness.
post #28 of 121
Quote:

Did you type that on your Dell laptop, lol

Quote:

Certainly at the big family get-together at Christmas, while the kids/teenagers were glued to their Touches and iPads, with the exception of one woman, all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.

Weird Family.

In first class on the way back from Singapore to LA, 85%+ of the passengers had iPads. Did not see anyone pull out a laptop. They were all adults. Most of them even seemed to be doing pretty well for themselves.

You seem to not understand a couple of things:

1. Adults consume a lot more content than kids. (Not even close)
2. The iPad can be used for creating all kinds of content and it can do it well.
post #29 of 121
Quote:

Shades of 1984! You DO realize that that's how long ago they first used the term "toy" to describe a revolutionary Apple product? In that case, the product was the Macintosh.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "Eh, what a maroon".
post #30 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you're making a classic mistake here in thinking that because *you* really want feature x, that of course everyone wants feature x.

The idea of attaching a wire to your mobile device so you can send signals over it to your TV set is just not something that the majority of folks care about. Of those that do, most are happier with the wireless option already provided. You're just thinking "old fashioned" here.

No actually he is looking to the future here. TB offers a real world alternative to slow USB ports which are already an alternative to wireless tech. Your position is a bit twisted as nobody really wants a completely wireless device. Wireless puts you at the mercy of the infrastructure.
Quote:

Just yesterday I had to work an event where people were presenting media with their iPads and there were no airplay devices available.

That was pretty stupid wasnt it? This is a perfect example of somebody adopting a new tech and then blaming somebody else when all the required hardware isn't at an event. It makes me wonder how many people where at this event assuming that all the facilities where there for wireless presentations. This want some Democratic convention of entitlement seakers was it?
Quote:
We had to use (shudder), wires and it was awful. You have a four inch dongle stuck to the bottom with a 15 foot VGA cable doing it's best to drag the dongle out of the 30 pin port. Then you need an audio plug jacked in the top that connects through a similar length of audio cable using an adapter at the projector end. You need both hands to hold the iPad, and have to keep the cables bunched up in the other hand to ensure they don't slip out.

Yep sounds exactly like a bunch of Democrats complaining about their missing entitlements.
Quote:
It's almost impossible to do any kind of walking presentation and the iPads ended up being taped to an old podium just to keep it manageable at all. As soon as there is an alternative, (and guess what there already is), wires are history.

For this sort of use that may be the case! What you seem to not realize is that wires are a very good solution to a number of communications issues. It's not that I'm reccomending a reduction in iPads automity but but rather that if such a device is to have a port it really needs to be fast. There is nothing wrong with wireless when the infrastructure is there as long as it is an alternative and not a replacement.
post #31 of 121
Quote:

This, from someone who calls themselves 'ascii'? Apparently 'DOS Rules' was already taken.
post #32 of 121
What gets me is that the Wintards still swear that Windows tablets will be more appealing and more useful to consumers than the iPad and I can't figure out why. Windows tablets have been around for a long time and they've never caught on with consumers. What has changed from 2009 (just before the iPad was introduced) until now. Current Windows tablets still use the same bloated desktop OS which requires much more hardware to run decently and returns a short battery life. Doesn't Windows have all that legacy code crap that Microsoft feels necessary to support that merely serves to slow down the OS? I doubt if corporations are even asking for legacy support on tablets. I'm sure tablet-using employees just want an OS that's easy to use and runs quickly and gives long battery life. Why would a consumer prefer a tablet that's heavier than the rest of the tablets that are on the market for the same display size? Why would consumers want to be running desktop Windows applications that aren't even optimized for tablets?

The Wintards still say that the iPad is a useless toy and yet it is definitely being deployed by small and larger businesses alike. So, how is it a useless toy? I do agree that there has to be some niche for Windows tablets for tech users or users that just like using Windows and require some portability. However, I think that would be only a very small number of users. I truly believe that light tablets will require a light and simplified OS to be favorable to consumers. Right now, ARM processors are the only way to go. Intel may eventually come out with some low-power processors or Microsoft will allow Windows to run on ARM processors. I'm willing to bet that Windows tablets will not sell in quantity to consumers in 2011.
post #33 of 121
Wow, talk about milking that red iPad 2 case image.
post #34 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

No actually he is looking to the future here. TB offers a real world alternative to slow USB ports which are already an alternative to wireless tech. Your position is a bit twisted as nobody really wants a completely wireless device. Wireless puts you at the mercy of the infrastructure.

That was pretty stupid wasnt it? This is a perfect example of somebody adopting a new tech and then blaming somebody else when all the required hardware isn't at an event. It makes me wonder how many people where at this event assuming that all the facilities where there for wireless presentations. This want some Democratic convention of entitlement seakers was it?

Yep sounds exactly like a bunch of Democrats complaining about their missing entitlements.

For this sort of use that may be the case! What you seem to not realize is that wires are a very good solution to a number of communications issues. It's not that I'm reccomending a reduction in iPads automity but but rather that if such a device is to have a port it really needs to be fast. There is nothing wrong with wireless when the infrastructure is there as long as it is an alternative and not a replacement.

Hey Dave,

Good post!

We may have a situation where the stars are aligned and Apple can leapfrog technology (hardware and software) and deliver the solution that dominates te next decade of information access -- "computing" is so last century,

Seriously, TB, iOS and iPad are wha's happenin' baby!

post #35 of 121
With this news and the very quiet pre-order of Xoom, the Doom, er Xoom should be dead on arrival. Or Doomed On Arrival if you will.

If Motorola fails on Xoom, they'd rather have their name changed to McDonalds where customers are aplenty.
post #36 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhyde@me.com View Post

If I see that pink iPad case photo in one more AI article, I think I'm gonna puke.

Ditto

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #37 of 121
Quote:

Wow. Just...wow.

You do realize Apple hasn't discontinued their macbooks, imac, mac minis, mac pros, etc etc.
Nobody is forcing you to buy the damn thing, but apparently tens of millions have, and tens of millions more will. But I guess Apple should say no to billions in sales and an insanely well received product because some angry nerds don't want a 'toy'.
You're a moron.
post #38 of 121
I predict iPad 2 will have Thunderbolt and that Apple eventually phases out the 30 pin connector. Let it be written, let it be done.

post #39 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Ditto

I want to see some more of those FUgly graph flowchart Keynote slides that show everything emanates from Apple (and BSD, QT, Integer BASIC, etc.).

post #40 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I already own various Mac desktops and Mac laptops. The iPad is in a different category. Good luck with your shortsightedness, your ignorance and your general cluelessness.

Since your manners are so atrocious, you are either a child who has yet to learn any, or you are older but childlike in your ways. Either way, thanks for proving my point that iPad is mainly for children.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week