or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X Lion iChat supports Yahoo Messenger video and voice chat

Mac OS X Lion iChat supports Yahoo Messenger video and voice chat

post #1 of 54
Apple has added support for Yahoo Messenger to Mac OS X Lion's iChat app, reportedly enabling text, voice and video chat over Yahoo's instant messenger protocol.

Apple introduced iChat as an IM client for AOL's proprietary chat protocol, later adding support for Jabber/XMPP, an open IM standard supported by Google Talk and Apple's own iChat Server.

For Lion, Apple has added Yahoo as an account type. Yahoo operates its own proprietary protocol that can't interoperate with AOL or Jabber type accounts.

The other primary chat protocol is Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger, which is also proprietary and does not support cross chat with AOL or Jabber, although Microsoft and Yahoo have created a gateway between their two networks.

News of the new Yahoo client working with video and voice chat was initially reported by blogger iMarck90.

After Android, Apple has increasingly worked to minimize its dependence upon Google as a partner, adding Microsoft's Bing and Yahoo search to Safari on both the desktop and iOS. However, adding new video support to iChat is an interesting addition, given Apple's push to promote FaceTime as its video calling solution.

The company has even renamed its iSight cameras as "FaceTime," and now develops and distributes FaceTime as a standalone app in the Mac App Store, wholly independent from the iChat AV app it bundles as part of Mac OS X.

post #2 of 54
Now we know what Steve Jobs and Carol Bartz talked about at the dinner with President Obama.

How about letting third parties add hooks to communicate with their own systems: cellphone SMS messages via bluetooth, IRC, and maybe even Chat Roulette. oh wait... never mind.
post #3 of 54
I like iChat; it does a whole lot more than just simple video calls. Glad to see it’s still being improved! I had feared it might stagnate with FaceTime. (I do think they should just roll FaceTime into iChat, at least as one method of using it.)
post #4 of 54
Integrate Facetime into iChat---that would turn iChat into a one stop solution for most people's chat needs. And it is simple. Why confuse people with two chat app? Simplicity my friends, simplicity
Summer '09 Macbook 6 GB RAM, SSD; iPhone 3GS, aTV v.2

Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Anyone who lives in me and [trusts]...
Summer '09 Macbook 6 GB RAM, SSD; iPhone 3GS, aTV v.2

Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Anyone who lives in me and [trusts]...
post #5 of 54
Until iChat integrates different IM accounts/protocols into a single window view I can't imagine switching from Adium.
post #6 of 54
I am surprised they are still improving/working on iChat. I had assumed that it would not be worked on any more now that Facetime is out.
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Until iChat integrates different IM accounts/protocols into a single window view I can't imagine switching from Adium.

The new iChat does support a single window for all contacts regardless of how many IM accounts/protocols (one of the best features of the iChat plugin Chax). It's incredibly handy, and works as expected.
post #8 of 54
Facetime only works for video chats.
post #9 of 54
now pls make the same for windows live messenger in iChat... i hate to use windows live app for mac which sucks and through jabber account in iChat which sucks too...

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbull View Post

The new iChat does support a single window for all contacts regardless of how many IM accounts/protocols (one of the best features of the iChat plugin Chax). It's incredibly handy, and works as expected.

i have used Chax too but i think what he meant is iChat should support this natively.

my way or the highway...

my way or the highway...

post #11 of 54
This move.... I can't understand it. At all.

Why? what for? An why in this world they didn't fusion FaceTime into iChat? That was what I though it would happen in Lion. That's the obvious move. Now we'll have iChat A/V and FaceTime. Excuse me, but that's stupid, like a Microsoft kind of thing. Now iChat competes with FaceTime. Clever!

Beware Apple, what the heck are you doing in there? are you beggining to get too big and fragmented with all your app teams? That could be seen in the system's apps UI's, like Mail, Preview, Safari and iTunes. Those 4 apps seems to be made by 4 different developer companies that don't talk to each other. Now it seems that this thing is getting worse.

How this thing can make sense when they are promoting FaceTime? The only way I could think this could make sense is if at Lion's launch keynote Apple announces that they acquired Yahoo! Messenger. Oh! maybe that's it!! I don't thing so, not even for a minute...
lvidal.-
lvidal.-
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

now pls make the same for windows live messenger in iChat... i hate to use windows live app for mac which sucks and through jabber account in iChat which sucks too...

I have found that the best solution for using MSN messenger is not to use MSN messenger. Most of my friends and family on MSN already have FaceTime and/or moved to GMail.
post #13 of 54
iChat is great piece of software.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i have used Chax too but i think what he meant is iChat should support this natively.

It does. The new version of iChat (6.0) included with 10.7 beta includes a unified contact window. It displays ALL contacts from ALL accounts in iChat.
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

This move.... I can't understand it. At all.

Why? what for? An why in this world they didn't fusion FaceTime into iChat? That was what I though it would happen in Lion. That's the obvious move. Now we'll have iChat A/V and FaceTime. Excuse me, but that's stupid, like a Microsoft kind of thing. Now iChat competes with FaceTime. Clever!

Beware Apple, what the heck are you doing in there? are you beggining to get too big and fragmented with all your app teams? That could be seen in the system's apps UI's, like Mail, Preview, Safari and iTunes. Those 4 apps seems to be made by 4 different developer companies that don't talk to each other. Now it seems that this thing is getting worse.

How this thing can make sense when they are promoting FaceTime? The only way I could think this could make sense is if at Lion's launch keynote Apple announces that they acquired Yahoo! Messenger. Oh! maybe that's it!! I don't thing so, not even for a minute...

Why you want FaceTime and iChat merged together?!

There is a difference between the two. iChat requires that you keep the app open to receive IMs, video, and voice call. On the other hand, FaceTime uses push notifications and there is no log in required (beyond the initial setup) and no buddy list to manage. Also FaceTime is not chat service.

It seems that Apple wants to market FaceTime as a device service for Macs and iDevices and they want it to be built into Mac OS like they did with iOS (this is late for Snow Leopard though).
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is a difference between the two. iChat requires that you keep the app open to receive IMs, video, and voice call. On the other hand, FaceTime uses push notifications and there is no log in required (beyond the initial setup) and no buddy list to manage. Also FaceTime is not chat service.

It seems that Apple wants to market FaceTime as a device service for Macs and iDevices and they want it to be built into Mac OS like they did with iOS (this is late for Snow Leopard though).

Should iChat be 3 different applications instead of one? After all, not every computer has a camera or microphone.

In iChat, you can enable the menu bar icon and have it automatically set your status to Available and also to stay online even if you quit iChat. Then you can receive messages without keeping iChat open.
post #17 of 54
I don't understand why Apple can't integrate Facetime into iChat. Seems like a no-brainer instead of having Facetime as a separate app.
post #18 of 54
Quote:

But there's only a difference because Apple has designed them like that, the question is why have they been designed like that?

iChat could easily have been integrated to the iPhone with an indefinite log-in and push notifications. The FaceTime video chat could have been easily added to the iChat application in OS X.

Furthermore FaceTime is certainly imperfect at the moment. My wife's iPhone 4, when FT calling to our MBP, uses the temporary number that Tesco (MNVO) assigned to the phone before her own number ported across. This is a number I don't know or have recorded in our contacts - why would I? I dislike that people have to know my AppleID to call me. I dislike that I can't readily set the system to ignore calls as I can in Skype or iChat - FT just fires up the iSight camera and reminds me I haven't checked myself in the mirror yet today. I dislike seeing all my contacts listed - only two have FT compatible devices to my knowledge out of 200-odd contacts. On the iPhone Contacts app, at least the first time, I have to remember which of my contact's email address is their AppleID from the two or three addresses I have for most. Although it is nice these can be added as favourites easily in the Phone app.

I think Apple are going to go in strong marketing FT when the iPad 2 comes out but they really need to consider these basic usability issues.
post #19 of 54
The question is does it support video and audio chat with Windows Yahoo Messenger or is it like with AIM i.e. not?
post #20 of 54
Apple can't really merge the two, because they have 2 incompatible use concepts:

iChat connects you to a network at a given time, and you remain available there for as long as you want, publicizing your status and showing yourself to you contact list (as available or whatever) until you log off.

Facetime is like a phone call: you get a call, you can pick up or not, there's no status nor publicizing of it.

How do you make such different concepts work together elegantly, in a simple fashion?
post #21 of 54
They should also add Microsoft Messenger. MSN is huge in Europe and no one uses Yahoo! Messenger. I use neither, personally, but it's not about me - it's about everyone else.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I dislike that people have to know my AppleID to call me.

So you dislike them knowing your Apple id, but you want these same people to FaceTime you? To be fair if you don't want them to know your Apple id you are hardly going to FaceTime with them. FaceTime is for people you know personally, I think.
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

I don't understand why Apple can't integrate Facetime into iChat. Seems like a no-brainer instead of having Facetime as a separate app.

It would probably make more sense.
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

iChat is great piece of software.

Yes, it's super. It should support MSN though. MSN is huge in Europe.
post #25 of 54
Quote:

I have found that the best solution for using MSN messenger is not to use MSN messenger. Most of my friends and family on MSN already have FaceTime and/or moved to GMail.

I've tried the same to use gmal more but only few of my suppliers out of 400 are using gmail and the rest all are on msn.

my way or the highway...

my way or the highway...

post #26 of 54
I suppose you could ask why Apple didn't integrate the App Store into iTunes. It didn't though, and the result is a less cluttered experience for both applications. I like when I open the App Store all I am dealing with is Mac applications.

Further, as others mentioned Face Time is different then iChat. Face Time actually operates when the application itself isn't open. Apple is also trying to promote it as a open platform (or at least it was going to do so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I suppose you could ask why Apple didn't integrate the App Store into iTunes. It didn't though, and the result is a less cluttered experience for both applications. I like when I open the App Store all I am dealing with is Mac applications.

Further, as others mentioned Face Time is different then iChat. Face Time actually operates when the application itself isn't open. Apple is also trying to promote it as a open platform (or at least it was going to do so).

They didn't integrate the Mac App Store into iTunes because the purpose of iTunes is to manage your media collections and support your iDevices, which doesn't really have anything to do with buying software for your Mac.

I don't think it would be a big deal for them to integrate the ability to initiate FaceTime sessions in iChat, or even to make those sessions part of the iChat process tree. There aren't any insurmountable technical hurdles for that to happen, not even any particularly big ones.

I also don't think the idea hasn't occurred to them, it's a pretty obvious one, so I think this is simply one of those, "For reasons unknown to us..." situations.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you dislike them knowing your Apple id, but you want these same people to FaceTime you? To be fair if you don't want them to know your Apple id you are hardly going to FaceTime with them. FaceTime is for people you know personally, I think.

Perhaps he's referring to the the FaceTime sex chat services. I could see why you wouldn't want them to know your Apple ID.
post #29 of 54
Not to be snarky, but does anyone actually use Yahoo-whatever-this-service-is?
post #30 of 54
Excellent - and now they only have to add MSN, Gtalk, Facebook, Skype and all the others to make it half as useful as Adium.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Excellent - and now they only have to add MSN, Gtalk, Facebook, Skype and all the others to make it half as useful as Adium.

Well, Google Talk and Facebook are already supported. I do agree for MSN. Does Adium support Skype?
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I dislike that people have to know my AppleID to call me.

In fact you can associate any of your e-mail addresses to your Facetime account: you don't really have to disclose your Apple ID.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They didn't integrate the Mac App Store into iTunes because the purpose of iTunes is to manage your media collections and support your iDevices, which doesn't really have anything to do with buying software for your Mac.

I don't think it would be a big deal for them to integrate the ability to initiate FaceTime sessions in iChat, or even to make those sessions part of the iChat process tree. There aren't any insurmountable technical hurdles for that to happen, not even any particularly big ones.

I also don't think the idea hasn't occurred to them, it's a pretty obvious one, so I think this is simply one of those, "For reasons unknown to us..." situations.

Agreed, they've obviously thought of merging the two. My guess is for now they want FaceTime to take on a life of it's own and existing separate from iChat makes that easier. As a standalone app, it's more visible and seen as video chat rather than IM (which is less sexy at the moment).

For now I think Apple's right. This visibility as a video calling tool should help FaceTime spread quickly. Hopefully once it's ubiquitous, and more stable, the feature gets rolled into iChat helping iChat to become more ubiquitous itself. At the moment, I don't really know anyone using iChat but I'd start if it supported FaceTime sessions since I know lots of people with iPhone4's.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Perhaps he's referring to the the FaceTime sex chat services. I could see why you wouldn't want them to know your Apple ID.

Holy crap you wouldn't.
post #35 of 54
What I don't get is why Apple hasn't created a version of iChat for iOS. A good multiprotocol IM client built into iOS would be awesome; it could even be integrated into the current Messaging application.

But not, they don't seem to care about IM on iPhone and iPad.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not to be snarky, but does anyone actually use Yahoo-whatever-this-service-is?

Yeah, try not to think that whatever is in use where you are is common everywhere. I use Yahoo and MSN a lot, I don't know a single person using AOL (other than MobileMe subscribers). But then, I am in Europe.
post #37 of 54
Quote:

Apple advertises FaceTime as a connection protocol. And there is a buddy list etc. It just happens to autofill from your Address Book.

So why not merge that protocol into one system. AND put the sameautofill into iChat and allow users the option for push in iChat. I love the idea that iChat could alert me to a 'buddy' being online or sending me a message even if I turned off the program. Or said forgot to turn it back on after a software update required redraft.

As for leaving the program on. This is a Lion (potential) feature so who knows what kind of efficiency will be built into the system to make it even less of a big deal to have programs on and in the background.

Heck, perhaps they could merge twitter functions into this as well. Really make it one stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I suppose you could ask why Apple didn't integrate the App Store into iTunes.

Not really.

The App Store is for Mac exclusive items. Unlike iTunes and its stores. Everyone here likely gets the distinction and wouldn't ask the question.

Whereas iChat and FaceTime are both chat related items. So there is a potential connection

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #38 of 54
I bet they had this same argument inside the halls & board rooms at Apple, whether or not to have Face Time within iChat. Since there is no audio-only or no typing with Face Time, it makes it different; exclusive of its own app.

iChat is a great app. But it does need many enhancements.

Adding MSN would be great.

A lot of the enhancements made by Chax should be built-in to iChat. This includes the log viewer, activity viewer, auto-accept features, and the plug-in's ability to automatically resize the contact list to fit.

Apple should also add some event features found in Adium, like the ability to have an alert when someone comes back from idle, for example.

Apple should change its "lights" for Available, Idle, and Away, especially for AIM. They need to show Idle Away — or if not changing the lights — display the amount of time the user has been idle while away. Like the AIM for Windows client, I'd like iChat to show when the user logged in, and how long they have been online.

Finally with respect to Google Talk, they need to make it so that when you go invisible on iChat with Google Talk, you're actually invisible. This doesn't work & you still show as Available.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

What I don't get is why Apple hasn't created a version of iChat for iOS. A good multiprotocol IM client built into iOS would be awesome; it could even be integrated into the current Messaging application.

But not, they don't seem to care about IM on iPhone and iPad.

I think the problem is with bonjour in general. They aren't prepared to offer bonjour services or afp because that would require opening up the filesystem for filesharing etc. If they open iOS to a built in AIM client, and they don't include bonjour services, then it isn't really iChat.

Adium says they want to start on an app for iOS, but they'll wait until they build a desktop version that doesn't support PowerPC macs, which will be simpler to port directly.
post #40 of 54
Yahoo Messenger is poorly maintained for Mac, so Y! iChat compatibility is a long-overdue and welcome addition! Now, iChat for iOS 5.0 please!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X Lion iChat supports Yahoo Messenger video and voice chat