or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Apple manager charged in kickback scheme pleads guilty, forfeits $2.3M
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ex-Apple manager charged in kickback scheme pleads guilty, forfeits $2.3M

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
The former Apple global supply manager charged with accepting over a million dollars in kickbacks for company secrets has pleaded guilty to multiple criminal counts.

Paul Devine, former iPhone global supply manager for Apple, pleaded guilty on Monday to charges that he accepted kickbacks from Asian suppliers, according to Reuters. The plea, discovered in a statement from the U.S. Attorney's office in San Francisco, Calif., is a change from last August, when Devine pleaded not guilty to charges that he accepted more than a million dollars in bribes and payments.

Devine, who worked for Apple starting in 2005, was accused of providing information and assistance to six overseas suppliers. He was indicted last year on 23 counts.

Devine has reportedly pleaded guilty to charges of wire fraud, conspiracy, and money laundering. He will also forfeit about $2.28 million worth of property and money.

An investigation of Devine last year found that the former Apple supply manager stashed more than $150,000 in cash in shoe boxes in his home. The six-figure sum was allegedly found in his home when it was raided by federal agents.

Last November, prosecutors for the U.S. government began seeking the forfeiture of about $950,000 that investigators seized from as many as six different bank accounts. They also sought to obtain a Porsche Cayenne, a vehicle with a starting price of nearly $50,000.
post #2 of 13
Good riddance!
post #3 of 13
2.3M Wow, am I the only one who thinks that prosecutors have a bigger fish to fry? i.e. Inside Job
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

2.3M Wow, am I the only one who thinks that prosecutors have a bigger fish to fry? i.e. Inside Job

He was the small fish. IP isn't bestowed upon the global supply manager.
post #5 of 13
People like this should have all of their ill gotten gains seized and go to jail.

Odds are he has a lot more than 2.5 million stashed away.
post #6 of 13
Must be nice to have $2.3 million to forfeit.
post #7 of 13
There is an irony to this. It's being reported on a site that spends a huge amount of its time giving us details of future products that only increase the value what men like this are privy to. How many stories here have had their genesis in someone taking a kickback? I'm not for a moment suggesting AI do that, but the pictures that come from other, less scrupulous sites, end up here nonetheless.

A few comments have condemned him already here, but we'll all still log in to see leaked pictures of the iPhone 5 if they crop up.

It's a bit like people who read gossip magazines shaking their heads at paparazzi lol
post #8 of 13
I doubt the readership on AI and other rumor sites have much to do with millions of dollars in kickbacks. With that type of money involved you can bet it's coming from competitors and people who can make even more money by knowing what's what and where in the supply chain before anyone else does, and you can also bet they're not posting that very expensive info on a rumor board.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
It's a bit like people who read gossip magazines shaking their heads at paparazzi lol

I don't think your analogy is appropriate:

Paparazzis, though using sleazy methods and considered bottom feeders, actually make most of their "catches" legally, since harassing people in public places sadly does not constitute a crime yet.

Selling internal info to third parties may they be competitors, suppliers or my grandmother is illegal. Every employee in tech cos sign non disclosure papers, and you better damn well respect them or be ready to face the music. It's classified as a felony.

What boggles my mind is this: how greedy can those big execs get...
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

What boggles my mind is this: how greedy can those big execs get...

Never say enough, guess that's what in the mind of Paul before he get caught.
And that's probably why he got caught, because he was being too greedy.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The former Apple global supply manager charged with accepting over a million dollars in kickbacks for company secrets has pleaded guilty to multiple criminal counts.

Paul Devine, former iPhone global supply manager for Apple, pleaded guilty on Monday to charges that he accepted kickbacks from Asian suppliers, according to Reuters. The plea, discovered in a statement from the U.S. Attorney's office in San Francisco, Calif., is a change from last August, when Devine pleaded not guilty to charges that he accepted more than a million dollars in bribes and payments.

Devine, who worked for Apple starting in 2005, was accused of providing information and assistance to six overseas suppliers. He was indicted last year on 23 counts.

Devine has reportedly pleaded guilty to charges of wire fraud, conspiracy, and money laundering. He will also forfeit about $2.28 million worth of property and money.

An investigation of Devine last year found that the former Apple supply manager stashed more than $150,000 in cash in shoe boxes in his home. The six-figure sum was allegedly found in his home when it was raided by federal agents.

Last November, prosecutors for the U.S. government began seeking the forfeiture of about $950,000 that investigators seized from as many as six different bank accounts. They also sought to obtain a Porsche Cayenne, a vehicle with a starting price of nearly $50,000.

Put him in prison for at least 30 years.he deserves this.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

I don't think your analogy is appropriate:

Paparazzis, though using sleazy methods and considered bottom feeders, actually make most of their "catches" legally, since harassing people in public places sadly does not constitute a crime yet.

Selling internal info to third parties may they be competitors, suppliers or my grandmother is illegal. Every employee in tech cos sign non disclosure papers, and you better damn well respect them or be ready to face the music. It's classified as a felony.

What boggles my mind is this: how greedy can those big execs get...

Fair point I'm just stirring a little really!

I suppose when someone thinks they're getting away with something and making such amounts, they lose perspective. I once knew a case of fraud here where someone had started forging their boss's internal cheques and paying herself thousands of pounds. The boss signed so many of them he couldn't be sure he didn't sign them himself so they had trouble catching the thief until one day she got stupid and signed a check in a felt tip pen! The boss knew he'd never used a felt tip pen to sign a cheque and the deception all unravelled. Greed is a funny thing.
post #13 of 13
Serves him right.

Cookware
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Apple manager charged in kickback scheme pleads guilty, forfeits $2.3M