or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad 2 unveiling viewed as 'crucial' to stay ahead of competition

Apple's iPad 2 unveiling viewed as 'crucial' to stay ahead of competition - Page 4

post #121 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Given peoples' fickle attitudes, I can easily imagine the word "disappointing" being readied for the iPad 2's debut: "The screen resolution is the same, and that's disappointing unlike the XOOM." Or, "It only has double the RAM of the first iPad, while other tablet offerings are 1GB. That's disappointing."

I don't think that for ordinary user terms like amount of RAM or screen resolution will be so important.

I wouldn't be surprised if things like "not being able to play Facebook games" turn out to be much more important than megabytes and gigahertz.
post #122 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The tablets coming to market this year will at best be competitive with the iPad, as it is today. So tomorrow, Apple raises the bar and leaves the competition behind, yet again.

The reasons why Apple was always far behind in the personal computer market is that Macs have been pricier and with so many people using Windows-based PCs at work, it made sense for the home system to work well with work system.

Well in the tablet space, it hardly matters what machines we're all using in a work environment and in terms of price, the tables are turned. The bang-for-the-buck advantage right now belongs to Apple. Amazing. And with it's clout as a volume buyer, Apple could conceivably maintain the price advantage for quite some time.

I think an annual re-design, as is the case with the iPhone, the iPod, etc. will be just enough for Apple to maintain an edge for quite a few years.

What makes you think so? Specs wise, tablets like Asus Transformer look sweet and I'm expecting them to be competitive and relevant even compared to iPad 2. My major concern is will the price be as promised (starting from $399)... but I'm hoping Asian manufacturers will be smarter than Motorola not to go for Apple-esque price.
post #123 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

What makes you think so? Specs wise, tablets like Asus Transformer look sweet and I'm expecting them to be competitive and relevant even compared to iPad 2. My major concern is will the price be as promised (starting from $399)... but I'm hoping Asian manufacturers will be smarter than Motorola not to go for Apple-esque price.

Benjamin Franklin (I think) is paraphrased as saying "...insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

"Specs-wise?"

Good luck.
post #124 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Given peoples' fickle attitudes, I can easily imagine the word "disappointing" being readied for the iPad 2's debut: "The screen resolution is the same, and that's disappointing unlike the XOOM." Or, "It only has double the RAM of the first iPad, while other tablet offerings are 1GB. That's disappointing."

But that is also why Apple focuses more on what you can do than the bare specs.

They already have a track record that the ipad is awesome. So now, it will be more awesome. And this is why. That will break through to enough folks that the hand full of fickle ones won't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I am actually rooting for some android tablet success. Not because I want to switch to android or anything, and I don't have ill-will toward Apple shareholders... I just don't want Apple to be the only game in town.

Indeed. Being the best game in town doesn't mean that much when you are the only game. Get a half dozen more boys out there, really out there, on the shelves and see what happens
post #125 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Having a hard time rolling out a 10" tablet that's priced at or below Apples (now 1 year old) iPad... Oh and NO it doesn't count if you're forced into a carrier deal.

I don't really think hardware manufacturers are/were having hard times rolling out good tablet (in hardware terms), but lack of good tablet OS was definitely a killing blow.

So for me, question is not if manufacturers can create good device - I'm sure number of them will be good - but will Android 3 be competitive software platform for specific tablet needs and expectations. We had some chat with local NZ suppliers (for Asus, Samsung and Toshiba) and it seems that all of them are expecting tablets to be available at the same time - early April. Considering same release time, I would expect that it is dictated by the same factor - availability of final version of OS and green light from Google.

Regarding Motorola, I think they are being extra greedy with their pricing, but likewise - I am expecting that Xoom will go down with price significantly in no time.
post #126 of 132
If the iPad 2 matches the rumored specs then I think I'm gonna stick to my first gen iPad until a higher resolution model comes out. I'm happy with my Kindle for reading and wouldn't really use a camera on it that much. As much as I love my iPad I really hoped the Macbook Airs could've launched at the 499-829 dollar prices when those were first announced
post #127 of 132
Seems to me that Apple has done an even better job than usual at keeping rumor sites from having any real facts on a pre-launch day. No photos of the actual device? No solid evidence on new features or associated software updates? I love how Apple treats product launches like Christmas! All tightlipped and internally excited. They do bring 'magic' to computing.
post #128 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I doubt Apple will release iOS 5 tomorrow -- the developers are still testing 4.3 beta 3 which hasn't been updated since Feb 1.

Apple will not release iOS5 today. But they will pre-announce it. And describe features which will give the iPad2 some unique abilities.

Apple only pre-announce stuff when there is a commercial benefit in doing so.

C.
post #129 of 132
Macnn had this up.

Edit: but now it's gone.

The link worked, but now is broken!

Quote:
current news
iPad 2 specs leaked by Amazon Germany, 1.2GHz, Thunderbolt?
43 minutes ago | Posted in: Apple, iPad

diggemail(1)
An eagle-eyed German reader has sent Your Daily Apple a screen shot from a since removed Amazon Germany page that appears to list the specifications of the next-generation iPad due to be introduced later today. The site listed the Apple iPad 2 with a 1.2Ghz processor, Wi-Fi, 3G, Thunderbolt, Camera, and Bluetooth, all of which have been deemed either likely or possible inclusions for the device. Further, the listing also makes reference to an estimated March 17 release date, corroborating recent reports that the device would be ready to ship almost immediately.
more

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/#ixzz1FRdByfmT
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #130 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Tod,

Here is what I am thinking.

1) For in the field standalone editing of video -- e.g. between haves or games (3 on Saturdays) f the grandkids soccer matches.

-- I've tried using a 17" Mac Laptop, and it is just too limited and cumbersome (extra batteries, need to use a table or flat surface, etc.)

-- I've tried editing video with the iMovie app on the iPhone . and it's just too small for my fat sausage fingers and my weak 71-year-old eyes.

I am looking at doing short highlight clips -- 2-4 minutes max with titles, transitions maybe some Slo-Mo, Ken Burns effect and a little sound.

This is well within the capability of iMovie -- and a touch interface would be great, IMO
[...snip...]

Well, Dick, It looks like you have an inside track at the iPad/iMovie dev team, huh? Pretty much everything you wanted is there.

I loved your detailed descriptions. Reminded me of 10 years ago or so when my youngest was in AYSO - I'd take pictures with my first digital camera and people were happy to be able to see a web album in a few days, certainly not within hours like you're doing! Nice to see that you're having fun.

PS: I sent you a PM.
post #131 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

No offense taken, I'll keep that in mind.

I've edited my post and paragraphed a little more if you still want to read it,

Aaah .... so much better. Thanks .... and I think your comments on Android are spot on. I would only add that, imho, the major reason for the "confusion" in the Android camp is the same as in most of Apple's competition. They still don't get it. The fact is, that most companies will reflect their focus. Apple wishes to focus on the user .... and because of that the money just follows .... while everyone else seems to focus on following Apple's lead .... and that will make it difficult to be tops in the user's mind.

It's kinda like that old saying: You can lead, follow or get out of the way. Apple chooses to lead and I, for one, am glad that they do. ..... Cheers.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #132 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote:

A ton of guys will be passing iPad -1s to their kids and wives and buying version 2. Just watch.

Before the actual announcement I would have said Not me - I will keep the original iPad for some time - but now I am not so sure.

Actually I am planning to buy one of the new MacBook Pro Quad Core 17" so that my current Core2Duo can pass down to my daughter and the PowerBook G4 she has can be repurposed. As soon as Best Buy gets one in stock - so I can get 18 months of no interest payments - then maybe when the Best Buy card gets paid down a bit an iPad 2 can be added.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad 2 unveiling viewed as 'crucial' to stay ahead of competition
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad 2 unveiling viewed as 'crucial' to stay ahead of competition