or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
More evidence that Apple plans to surprise with near immediate availability of its second-generation iPad surfaced Tuesday, when it was revealed that retailer Best Buy has listed the first-generation iPad as "deleted" in its inventory.

Photos from Best Buy computers were provided Tuesday to MacRumors. They show that the status of both the 16GB Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable iPad as "deleted" in the store's inventory system.

Apple is set to introduce its second-generation iPad at a media event on Wednesday. But as exclusively reported by AppleInsider last week, users may not have to wait long to get their hands on the new multi-touch tablet, as people familiar with the company's plans have indicated Apple is preparing for a retail product roll-out later this week.

Constrained supplies and no new shipments to retailers like Best Buy before the second-generation iPad is officially unveiled could be seen as even more evidence of a surprisingly quick introduction of at least one version of the refreshed tablet. That would be in contrast to reports claiming that Apple could be forced to wait until April to sell the device due to alleged supply constraints.

Though the current iPad is marked as "deleted," Best Buy's computer systems are said to not yet have any placeholders for the anticipated iPad 2.



Best Buy's internal inventory system is a hit-or-miss indicator of product information and availability ahead of an announcement. But last month, leaked information from the retailer did accurately reveal the five SKUs and prices for Apple's refreshed MacBook Pro lineup.
post #2 of 44
iPad 2's should probably be available for purchase this weekend if not sooner.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #3 of 44
This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.

If Apple rolls out internationally the way they did with v1 then maybe they have a small enough surplus inventory that they can sell it all in these other countries once they realize they won't be getting v2 for months.

Also, Apple may not want/need to lower their price for v1 and it would deter some people from getting v2. So I actually think the smartest move for Apple is to release v2 shipping right away with 16, 64, and 128gb versions. This should make the most amount of people happy.
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.

There may not be any more iPad 1's to sell.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

There may not be any more iPad 1's to sell.

There certainly are. I was at local best buy last night, and they had visible inventory of around 10 iPads available. Doubt they could sell all of them by today. Unless their online store uses a slightly different inventory system than their brick and morta store.
post #6 of 44
Crikey, I feel like a kid getting ready for Xmas.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

There certainly are. I was at local best buy last night, and they had visible inventory of around 10 iPads available. Doubt they could sell all of them by today. Unless their online store uses a slightly different inventory system than their brick and morta store.

I was implying there soon won't be anymore iPad 1's to sell, so therefore Apple doesn't need to think about cutting its price.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #8 of 44
Anyone have any idea when the event will take place tomorrow?

-nilsen
post #9 of 44
will this be the "one more thing"? hope not
post #10 of 44
While I do think there will be a new iPad 2 announced tomorrow, I don't think it will be readily available for sale that same day...unless the macbook pro pallets also contained new iPads.

And haven't we already concluded that the Best Buy inventory system is a crapshoot for predicting new products.
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsen View Post

Anyone have any idea when the event will take place tomorrow?

-nilsen

10am Pacific Time, 1pm Eastern
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #12 of 44
I will be interested to see how much "more" the iPad 2 has to offer. I bought a refurb iPad for my wife in December. Thought I would go that route knowing a new one was coming soon. She loves her iPad, but if the new one is insanely better I bet the old one will still sell for a good price on ebay. Not to mention we saved $100 on the refurb and it is absolutely perfect - not one visible or operational flaw.
post #13 of 44
Maybe not the same day. I sure hope it's going to be in the same week though. That would be wicked awesome.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by M33na57 View Post

Maybe not the same day. I sure hope it's going to be in the same week though. That would be wicked awesome.

I hope Apple releases the new iPad within a few days, and throws a jab at companies like RIM and HP who pre-announce months and months in advance for no good reason other than a desperate need to appear relevant.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund0Dantes View Post

Crikey, I feel like a kid getting ready for Xmas.

I see your "Crikey" and raise you a "Great Scott" in agreement.

I'm ready for a 3g iPad v2, been waiting since this time last year.
17" iMac G4 1.25/2/0.08 | 15" uMBP C2D 2.4/4/1 | iPhone 3G/0.008 | iPad 2 3G/0.064
Reply
17" iMac G4 1.25/2/0.08 | 15" uMBP C2D 2.4/4/1 | iPhone 3G/0.008 | iPad 2 3G/0.064
Reply
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

How about we are just happy if the iPad is available so we can get one if we want, instead of worrying about throwing jabs. I think about 50% of this forum needs some couch time because they seem to worry about what everyone else is doing.

Maybe you need some "couch time" to stop worrying about what other people worry about. If RIM hadn't been so obnoxious about "antennaegate" then maybe Steve Jobs wouldn't have felt the need to bitch slap them during the earnings call in October. Tablet computers is a small but growing and (soon to be) ultra-competitive industry with a LOT on the line for the winners/losers - worry about what you want, but enjoy the ride.
post #17 of 44
Apple should also have a sticker on the box, "Ready for Lion".

That would take the wind out of the Zoom's sales.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.

If Apple rolls out internationally the way they did with v1 then maybe they have a small enough surplus inventory that they can sell it all in these other countries once they realize they won't be getting v2 for months.

Also, Apple may not want/need to lower their price for v1 and it would deter some people from getting v2. So I actually think the smartest move for Apple is to release v2 shipping right away with 16, 64, and 128gb versions. This should make the most amount of people happy.

But that's not how Apple does business.

International customers get the same thing as U.S. consumers. While they may have to wait (or pay more), they aren't marketed older, inferior product. Apple gets over 60% of its revenue from international markets. It is not in their best interest to treat the rest of the world like second-class citizens.

Supply constraints often dictate a staggered worldwide rollout, but Apple doesn't dumb down their offerings to the rest of the world.

The only exception I know was a temporary removal of WiFi from an iPhone for China due to local regulations (that restriction was eventually removed).
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post

I see your "Crikey" and raise you a "Great Scott" in agreement.

I'm ready for a 3g iPad v2, been waiting since this time last year.

The following says that tomorrow's update might be underwhelming. For what it's worth, I think the current iPad is a good product and any upgrade at the same price would be attractive.

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-staff...ce-about/84275

For the iPad 2 dont get your hopes up too high. Thats all Im going to say. Theyve had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and a dance about.
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Then again Apple Stud is a oxymoron so that could be the start of the problem.

Good one, ExtremeSkater...narley!
post #21 of 44
I think Apple has got it figured out and will offer it the same day. Apple seems to have the manufacturing, delivery systems and retail stores as finely tuned as their design departments.

The iPhone is different because it needs approval from FCC which takes time and is more susceptible to leaks .

Also, I don't think they will keep the iPad1 in the lineup like they have done with the iPhone 3Gs.

But I've been wrong before!

Best

PS. It would be nice to find out tomorrow about their intentions with MobileMe. Perhaps they will introduce something along with the iPad2.
post #22 of 44
I've posted this to other threads, but it applies here, too...


Here's an interesting article:

Quote:
When you go from planning under 10 million units to 60 million, you can negotiate much better manufacturing prices. Components can also be optimized for cost, to a different degree. Apple is pre-paying for critical parts, such as memory and displays, taking risk out of the contract manufacturers, which pressures the price down. This probably means that despite some minor hardware bumps (camera, RAM), Apple could remove close to $100 in cost from each iPad.

Here is the bottom line: This logic points to Apple making the key feature of the iPad 2 its price, specifically a $100 price cut. The iPad 2 could start at $399 and range up to $699 for versions with more storage or 3G or 4G modems.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...FREE&cm_ite=NA


This gives some interesting possibilities, vis a vis iPad 1 and iPad 2 concurrent offering and pricing.

Let's say:
-- the iPad 2 has a new A5 SOC/Package that includes CPU and GPU (at least)
-- Apple plans on using these in iPad 2, then iPhone 5... AppleTV, iPod Touch
-- in CY 2011 Apple plans to build over 200 million iDevices containing the A5
-- in CY 2011 Apple plans to build over 60 million iPads

It could just be that the economies of scale make it significantly less expensive to manufacture the iPad 2 than to continue manufacturing the iPad 1.

Since the iPad is not bound to a carrier subsidy, there is no real need to offer last-year's model.


Then, there is this interesting counter argument -- that offering an option to buy last-year's model -- actually, drives sales of the new model.

http://www.asymco.com/2010/10/07/the...is-iphone-n-1/

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

But that's not how Apple does business.

International customers get the same thing as U.S. consumers. While they may have to wait (or pay more), they aren't marketed older, inferior product. Apple gets over 60% of its revenue from international markets. It is not in their best interest to treat the rest of the world like second-class citizens.

Supply constraints often dictate a staggered worldwide rollout, but Apple doesn't dumb down their offerings to the rest of the world.

The only exception I know was a temporary removal of WiFi from an iPhone for China due to local regulations (that restriction was eventually removed).

All I am saying is that if the US gets v2 next week and China doesnt get it till August that Apple will continue to sell v1 in China and may stop v1 sales in the US. China (as an example) may even see a price reduction in the mean time. I'm not saying International countries will get an inferior product, but rather v1 surplus can still be sold abroad while they wait for v2. I don't think thats treating them poorly, actually I think it would be much worse to stop v1 sales abroad and not give them any options while they wait. Don't you?
post #24 of 44
I want an Ipad 2 but I feel there needs to be an improvement in display quality over the Ipad 1. I think after retina display technology - I would be dispappointed if there is no improvement in display quality. It is hard to give an opinion when I skipped buying the original model but the main reasons I passed on the Ipad is I did not like the form factor and then after I got the Iphone 4, I saw a difference in screen quality such that I want my Ipad to have a better screen than the current model. I have spent some time with an Ipad and the speed or memory/capacity issues don't stand out to me as much as form factor and display.

We'll see tomorrow and I hope Apple gives me a reason to buy but I will wait if I have to - I know the other tablets don't have an advantage over apple when it comes to display quality but I will probably want to consider upgrading to an Iphone 5 and skip the Ipad if they offer a slightly bigger screen on the Iphone 5. To me, the most important feature is display quality so I am slightly concerned over recent rumors that display quality won't be updated with Ipad2.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Hey I hear Toyota is going to beat Honda to a new hybrid. Might want to get over there. By they way I think narley was like a 1980's term.

It is a surfer term and has a g at the beginning "gnarley". Dates to at least the 70s, probably earlier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsop View Post

I want an Ipad 2 but I feel there needs to be an improvement in display quality over the Ipad 1. I think after retina display technology - I would be dispappointed if there is no improvement in display quality. It is hard to give an opinion when I skipped buying the original model but the main reasons I passed on the Ipad is I did not like the form factor and then after I got the Iphone 4, I saw a difference in screen quality such that I want my Ipad to have a better screen than the current model. I have spent some time with an Ipad and the speed or memory/capacity issues don't stand out to me as much as form factor and display.

To achieve anything close to Retina levels on the iPad, they would have to double the resolution in each direction. Apple can't get screens w/that kind of pixel density in any kind of quantity/price that is feasible. Not currently at least. Maybe some of that 3.9B they are looking at investing in something is them teaming w/a display company to produce a plant that does nothing but produce those high density screens for them for a later product.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Hey I hear Toyota is going to beat Honda to a new hybrid. Might want to get over there. By they way I think narley was like a 1980's term.

Dude! Apple is our team and we root and fight for Apple, just like many people do for their favorite NBA team, Soccer team, artist.

If you lose your job today, your favorite singer will not come to your aid. Apple is the same to us, we enjoy seeing our home team kick ass with their pretty and functional iDevices.

So yes, I too want the iPad2 released very soon, so that RIM, HP, Motorola and Google can feel the pain.
post #27 of 44
all i'm saying is, if they drop the price on this thing tomorrow, there's gonna be a lot of sweaty foreheads around the industry.
post #28 of 44
I'd be very surprised if they drop the price tomorrow. In spite of the supposed "competition" as far as tablets the iPad is the only game in town. The others are poor copies so far.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It could just be that the economies of scale make it significantly less expensive to manufacture the iPad 2 than to continue manufacturing the iPad 1.

Since the iPad is not bound to a carrier subsidy, there is no real need to offer last-year's model.


This is a very interesting theory and there could be some truth to it, but I still think Apple will keep the 500-700 range for the iPad. If there is a $100 price drop, it will be on leftover stock of all prior iPad models and a $100 across the board price drop for all territories where Apple is still selling the original iPad. Possibly a price drop for the 3G models as there is no way a 3G antenna costs $129. Making the price bump $50 would probably entice many more people to go with the 3G versions. Since 50 is a lot less than 129. That cost difference pays for your keyboard dock if you like.

If they maintain current international pricing with people knowing that it will be just a few more months till the iPad 2 comes out, they will stop buying in droves. Add in a $100 discount, plus any extra reduction on refurb units, and plenty of people will still decide to take an original iPad before the iPad 2 is released in their country.

Apple's economy of scale will be completely sick tho. If we get a new processor/gpu tomorrow, expect that to end up in the new iPhone. If we don't, expect whatever shows up in the iPhone to appear in a fall iPad, if that is the route Apple is going. Apple can't wait until next spring to upgrade the cpu/gpu on the iPad.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Dude! Apple is our team and we root and fight for Apple, just like many people do for their favorite NBA team, Soccer team, artist.

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.
post #31 of 44
I think Apple will sit on its laurels, state that the iPad was such a success because it is perfect, and that there is no need to update it since despite having many critics, more than 15 million people did not find the lack of a USB port, a camera or a compact flash slot to be a dealbreaker.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.

I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC commercial is what started it all.... or was it just a symptom....
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.

Far from a new phenomenon. 50 years ago people were "Ford families" or "Chevy families" or whatever brand their parents latched onto. Same held true for appliances and all sorts of things. If you had a positive experience once, you continued down that predetermined path.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Do you get excited when Wirlpool puts out a better washer or dryer then Matag?

That's "Whirlpool" and "Maytag". While I can understand folks not able to properly spell all the new technobabble words that come out every day, to do that on household appliances is just unnacceptable!
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

Far from a new phenomenon. 50 years ago people were "Ford families" or "Chevy families" or whatever brand their parents latched onto. Same held true for appliances and all sorts of things. If you had a positive experience once, you continued down that predetermined path.

True, but maybe I'm seeing it as slightly more complex than simple brand loyalty.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Do you get excited when Wirlpool puts out a better washer or dryer then Matag?

You may not have realized the inadvertent humor in this particular sentence, since Whirlpool acquired Maytag almost five years ago. Does a dog chase its tail?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.

Perhaps it has to do with a simple phenomenon. When buying "apple" stuff, consumers make a choice, and when they buy a computer from apple they are making a somewhat bold choice, towards what they do not know entirely. Sometimes it is a huge investment, not only of money but also of time and patience. This applies to anything like Xbox and PS3, etc.

And then people have to justify emotionally their investment. They feel great about their product, and if they do, they'll try to make everyone around feel the same way towards your gadgets. This has evolutionary principles in it: if more people buy the kind of stuff you buy, the better for you in the long term, for the company from which you bought is more successful, has more money, develops better for you, in a kind of a feedback loop.

If however you buy something that is a flop, you are dead on the water, with a "dead on arrival" product in your hands, and with good chance that there will be no 3rd party investment on it, nor even by the same company from which you bougth the thing!

The iPhone / iPod is a good example: the more successful it is, the better the app ecossystem becomes, etc.

So our irrational behavior, that is pretty much based upon tribal traditions in our reptilian brain or somewhere near it, is not that much irrational, considering these larger issues.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's "Whirlpool" and "Maytag". While I can understand folks not able to properly spell all the new technobabble words that come out every day, to do that on household appliances is just unnacceptable!

Okay, but just for the record, unacceptable is spelled with one 'n' ...

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here is the bottom line: This logic points to Apple making the key feature of the iPad 2 its price, specifically a $100 price cut. The iPad 2 could start at $399 and range up to $699 for versions with more storage or 3G or 4G modems.

I doubt Apple will lower the price for the iPad 2.

For starters, there really is not any price competition at the current time. They are better off just taking the extra margin.

And I assume they want to add a "retina display" as soon as possible, maybe as early as this fall. That display will be expensive and Apple would then need to turn around and raise their prices. Better to leave them where they are now.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

True, but maybe I'm seeing it as slightly more complex than simple brand loyalty.

You don't know many car buffs then. It was about engines, reliability, innovative styling and more. Went way beyond simple brand loyalty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms