or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Steve Jobs said to be considering an appearance at Apple's iPad 2 event

Steve Jobs said to be considering an appearance at Apple's iPad 2 event

post #1 of 68
Despite the fact that he is on medical leave from his day-to-day duties at Apple, company co-founder Steve Jobs may appear at Wednesday's iPad 2 media event, according to a new report.

Kara Swisher of BoomTown reported Tuesday that Jobs is "mulling" an appearance at the company's scheduled unveiling of the second-generation iPad. However, sources reportedly stressed that an appearance from the chief executive is "definitely not confirmed."

"If he did appear, sources said Jobs would at least make a brief appearance onstage, along with other top company execs in showing off Apple's latest version of its hugely popular tablet," the report said.

Jobs, who turned 56 last week, has been spotted in public numerous times and even joined other Silicon Valley luminaries for dinner with President Barack Obama earlier this month. He was also spotted at California's Stanford Cancer Center.

Jobs announced in mid January that he would take a leave of absence from his daily duties at Apple. He is still involved in major strategic decisions and remains the company's chief executive.

The Apple CEO has not revealed the condition of his medical leave of absence, citing his health as a private matter. He has a history with cancer, undergoing surgery on his pancreas in 2004, and receiving cancer treatment and a liver transplant in 2009.

Apple is expected to introduce the second-generation iPad at an event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday. The media event is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full coverage.
post #2 of 68
Not that the event won't get coverage in all the major news outlets anyway, but this would guarantee an absolutely ludicrous level of coverage.
post #3 of 68
Steve could always make an appearance via FaceTime. That would be very apropos for the event.
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeakinsong View Post

Steve could always make an appearance via FaceTime. That would be very apropos for the event.

LOL.

"And there's just one more thing... ring... ring...
It looks like Steve is calling. Let's facetime with the forward facing camera."*

* I couldn't care less about a forward facing camera but this would be a cool stunt anyway.
post #5 of 68
Quote:

While yes it would be 'keuul' to make an appearance; perhaps he should stay a way... just to show that the underlings can handle things just fine without him. I will miss the Steve Jobs reality distortion field effect though.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

While yes it would be 'keuul' to make an appearance; perhaps he should stay a way... just to show that the underlings can handle things just fine without him. I will miss the Steve Jobs reality distortion field effect though.

I think the arguement is that by only doing a cameo via facetime, he would be making the statement that the "underlings" can handle the company moving forward, but that he is still overseeing (or at least a part of) big project while he is away. This would show the most stability within Apple IMO.

On the other hand, if the "one more thing" was that Steve is healthy and back full time, that wouldn't be a bad thing either.
post #7 of 68
may be Tim can Face time Steve this time
post #8 of 68
If they wanted to make the biggest splash possible, then they would secretly get Steve there (easier said than done), have him call via Facetime, and then have him say "one more thing" as he hangs up and walks out to meet the crowd and presents the real "one more thing". And BOOM goes the dynamite haha.
post #9 of 68
Of course he's going to be there. It's his baby, and it's the future of computing. There's no way he's going to miss it.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #10 of 68
Quote:

Well if Apple wants to promote FaceTime, I can't think of any better way to do it.
post #11 of 68
The company, Apple Inc., is Steve Job's best product he's ever made. It has a DNA that will keep it thriving for quite a few decades after his passing. I know of another company like it.
I worked for IBM for a few years. While there, it was common for old timers of 30 plus years to contrast the current company against the original company, and find it wanting. So much had changed. TJ Watson had long since passed, and now their current CEO was so different. The course of the company was so different. Everything was so different.
But the influences that TJ Watson established during his tenure set the course for innovations with a purpose: we manufacture customer satisfaction!
It is no surprise that as customers changed, IBM changed with it.
Apple will thrive even as it too changes with its customers. This is because its founder set the course: we design customer satisfaction!
post #12 of 68
I hope Steve doesn't make an appearance. If he does, and he looks "gaunt," everybody will start wondering about his condition. And, it will seem as if the rest of management is not capable of handling things in his absence. People will start asking if he is ready to come back full time.

He should make an appearance if and only if he does not need to be on "medical leave."
post #13 of 68
While I do think it's a good gimmick I ultimately believe this will end up hurting Apple's stock. His appearance will make people think that apple can't work without him. If he appears unwell analysts will get worried however really no matter how he looks people will get spooked.

If he is really as sick as people think maybe this could be a "last farewell" for Steve... possibly an announcment about him retiring?? Again not good for the stock.
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge87 View Post

If he is really as sick as people think maybe this could be a "last farewell" for Steve... possibly an announcment about him retiring?? Again not good for the stock.

People have been saying "last whatever" for two years. All it does is kill stock and spread FUD.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I hope Steve doesn't make an appearance. If he does, and he looks "gaunt," everybody will start wondering about his condition.

We already know what he looks like. He showed up in the White House's official Flickr feed, photographed at a dinner party at John Doerr's house about a week ago. He was seated next to President Obama.

All the major news outlets picked it up.
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I hope Steve doesn't make an appearance. If he does, and he looks "gaunt," everybody will start wondering about his condition. And, it will seem as if the rest of management is not capable of handling things in his absence. People will start asking if he is ready to come back full time.

He should make an appearance if and only if he does not need to be on "medical leave."

He's just "calling in sick" so he can oversee the demolition of his old spooky house and the construction of his new one.

Hopefully...
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

He's just "calling in sick" so he can oversee the demolition of his old spooky house and the construction of his new one.

Hopefully...

Being the CEO of Apple isn't 6th grade PE. You can't call in sick. That was a pretty idiotic statement. Of course he is really sick, the hope, is that he is doing better.
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I would like to see how Tim Cook handles this on his own without having Steve Jobs there. If SJ left him in charge then Cook should handle the event. This is nothing more then a media event.

An ios device unveiling (especially the iPad) without SJ is certainly more that just a media event. Like it or not AAPL is effected in very real terms according to these events.
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Not that the event won't get coverage in all the major news outlets anyway, but this would guarantee an absolutely ludicrous level of coverage.

Ludacris begs to differ. He says 'no white boy gets MY level of coverage!'
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

We already know what he looks like. He showed up in the White House's official Flickr feed, photographed at a dinner party at John Doerr's house about a week ago. He was seated next to President Obama.

All the major news outlets picked it up.

No, we don't. All I saw in the picture with Obama and others was the back of his head.
post #21 of 68
Hmm, while possible I don't think he would want to show up where a principle feature of the new hardware is that it is thinner and weighs less.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Being the CEO of Apple isn't 6th grade PE. You can't call in sick. That was a pretty idiotic statement. Of course he is really sick, the hope, is that he is doing better.

Apologies if you were genuinely offended. Otherwise, lighten up, and realize that not everything written here is intended to be taken seriously.
post #23 of 68
Quote:

An ios device unveiling (especially the iPad) without SJ is certainly more that just a media event. Like it or not AAPL is effected in very real terms according to these events.

Steve Jobs is not dead! Why would he not attend this release, assuming he is mobile? I know he is a private person, but there is no reason why he should hide himself away. I think he has a lot more courage than that.
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Well if Apple wants to promote FaceTime, I can't think of any better way to do it.

I could! 1) Open the standard like they said they would. 2) offer a free Mac and Windows client. 3) come up with a compelling argument why non mac/iphone peole should adopt it over Skype and other options. 4) come up with a compelling argument for why people who have turned from voice to text to reverse direction and go to voice and video calling.

9 months in I would have to rate Facetime a pretty big dissapointment so far. It is below my expectations and my expectations were pretty darn low to begin with.
post #25 of 68
Hmm, while possible I don't think he would want to show up where a principle feature of the new hardware is that it is thinner and weighs less.

-kpluck

That was disrespectful, but, I do have a weakness for irony/humour.
post #26 of 68
Quote:

Well Apple can't even vote on a succession plan. Like it or not Steve Jobs may never come back in good health so the company needs to move forward and not live in a false reality.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...23-715840.html

I'm sorry. I understood there was an unpublished succession plan.
post #27 of 68
Quote:

Well Apple can't even vote on a succession plan. Like it or not Steve Jobs may never come back in good health so the company needs to move forward and not live in a false reality.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...23-715840.html

I think you can agree that SJ with all he has done for Apple deserves a little time to see about his health before making plans for his future. I don't think anyone is living in a false reality, they are simply waiting for SJ to get healthy, or determine that he won't ever be healthy enough to return. Again, he has earned the right to take his time away and see what happens.
post #28 of 68
Apple really needs to find a new Face and or Spokeman.
We all know that S. Jobs' days of being that are probably over with.

Out of all the bunch, I think Scott Forstall would be the best candidate.
Of course the other guys can do some of the presenting.
But at least for a couple of years, they need to have a New Main Guy.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I could! 1) Open the standard like they said they would. 2) offer a free Mac and Windows client. 3) come up with a compelling argument why non mac/iphone peole should adopt it over Skype and other options. 4) come up with a compelling argument for why people who have turned from voice to text to reverse direction and go to voice and video calling.

9 months in I would have to rate Facetime a pretty big dissapointment so far. It is below my expectations and my expectations were pretty darn low to begin with.

Of course they're not going to open FaceTime up until it's established on the iPad (!).

I would have to rate your comment pretty high, though. You never seem to disappoint.
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He was also spotted at California's Stanford Cancer Center.

Everybody just assumes this means he was there for cancer treatment. He could just as easily been there because Apple (and other companies) are donating money to Stanford Medical Center for new high tech facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If they wanted to make the biggest splash possible, then they would secretly get Steve there (easier said than done), have him call via Facetime, and then have him say "one more thing" as he hangs up and walks out to meet the crowd and presents the real "one more thing". And BOOM goes the dynamite haha.

I love it. Now that would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Of course he's going to be there. It's his baby, and it's the future of computing. There's no way he's going to miss it.

Sort of what i figure too. If he's not, i'd really worry about what that implies about his health. Then again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge87 View Post

While I do think it's a good gimmick I ultimately believe this will end up hurting Apple's stock. His appearance will make people think that apple can't work without him. If he appears unwell analysts will get worried however really no matter how he looks people will get spooked.

Yeah, this is my fear too. AAPL is really at the mercy of superstitious and ignorant people. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

So i guess it really doesn't matter, as far as AAPL price is concerned, if Steve shows up or not. Stock is down today, when it should have been up. (Price of oil must have gone up today, trumping anticipation of iPad2.) AAPL will be up for a little tomorrow before the event (unless Libya implodes), but will be down after the iPad announcement, no matter how well it goes. \

Quote:

Lighten up. It was a joke. I doubt any disrespect toward Steve was intended.
post #31 of 68
Quote:

Why would a company the size of Apple wait? A plan is in place in case the worst happens. In any situation like this you hope for the best but you have to plan for the worst.

People often talk about shareholder and the stock price well the worse thing you could do for the stock is create uncertainty

Not necessarily true which is why stockholders voted down making the succession plan public. There should always be a succession plan, but making it public has all sorts of downsides. You are signalling your intentions to competition, you are telling your top guys who are not the choice to jump ship and go somewhere they may have a better shot, etc. All Apple needs to do is tell the public that if the need for a new CEO arises they will be prepared.

How many of the next CEO's of the Fortune 500 can you name? There are a handful that have gone public with their plans, but I bet you can't name 10%. There is no reason why Apple should be any different.
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Out of all the bunch, I think Scott Forstall would be the best candidate.
Of course the other guys can do some of the presenting.
But at least for a couple of years, they need to have a New Main Guy.

I also thought this when I first saw Scott Forstall. However, both him, Jonathan Ives, and Phil Schiller need to work on their "It's awesome" salesman routine. Steve has that down pat, and manages to inject sincerity into his presentation which people buy into.

With those other guys, I can only hear "awesome wonderful exciting" etc so many times before I start to get that sickly feeling, sort of like Alex in Clockwork Orange. There is a mashup on YouTube showing the Apple sales pitches during their keynotes and presentations and it is quite humorous once you see the larger picture of what they are trying to do and the language they use.

Edit: Here is that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7v815bYUw
post #33 of 68
Quote:

Well Apple can't even vote on a succession plan. Like it or not Steve Jobs may never come back in good health so the company needs to move forward and not live in a false reality. [/url]

But they did vote on it: They said No. Not to a succession plan, which they already have, but to publicly disclosing it. That was probably a very wise move too.

Excerpt from the Notice Of 2011 Annual Meeting Of Shareholders:

Quote:
The Board of Directors recommends a vote AGAINST Proposal No. 5.

The Company recognizes that a highly talented and experienced management team, not just the CEO, is critical to Apples success. Accordingly, the Board already implements many of the proposed actions and maintains a comprehensive succession plan throughout the organization. While the Board strongly supports the concept of succession planning, it recommends a vote against Proposal No. 5 for the following reasons.

As noted, the Company already fulfills several of the requests proposed. The Companys Corporate Governance Guidelines, available publicly on the Companys website, require the Board and CEO to conduct an annual review of succession planning for senior management, including the CEO. As part of this annual review, the Board has a formal evaluation process in which it identifies and recommends development of internal candidates for succession based on criteria that reflect Apples business strategy.

Furthermore, adopting Proposal No. 5 would give the Companys competitors an unfair advantage. Proposal No. 5 would publicize the Companys confidential objectives and plans. Giving competitors access to this information is not in the best interest of the Company or its shareholders.

Proposal No. 5 would also undermine the Companys efforts to recruit and retain executives. The Board believes that the Companys success depends on attracting and retaining a superior executive team, including the CEO. Proposal No. 5 requires a report identifying the candidates being considered for CEO, as well as the criteria used to evaluate each candidate. By publicly naming these potential successors, Proposal No. 5 invites competitors to recruit high-value executives away from Apple. Furthermore, executives who are not identified as potential successors may choose to voluntarily leave the Company.

Proposal No. 5 attempts to micro-manage and constrain the actions of the Board. In practice, the Board and the management of the Company are best equipped to carry out succession planning, as well as to handle day-to-day hiring, promotion and termination decisions. Such decisions take into consideration numerous criteria that are continually adapted to meet the evolving demands of the Company and should not be constrained by arbitrary rules such as the three-year non-emergency CEO succession planning in Proposal No. 5. The Company takes succession planning seriously, and the Board has adopted a comprehensive process to ensure continuity and maintain the superior quality of its management team. This process also allows flexibility to adjust to unanticipated changes in the market. As such, the Company is already substantially fulfilling the request in Proposal No. 5, and the Board recommends a vote against Proposal No. 5.

If the proposal had actually passed, it likely would have been challenged in court and struck down, because shareholders aren't supposed to micro-manage.
post #34 of 68
Quote:

Apple really needs to find a new Face and or Spokeman Out of all the bunch, I think Scott Forstall would be the best candidate.

Are you being sarcastic? Is that twisted humor or something? Scott Forstall gives me the the creeps. I wish Apple would hide him away in the basement or someplace. Every time he gets up on stage, chills run up and down my spine. Literally!

Tim Cook, on the other hand, has a very warm, pleasant personality.
post #35 of 68
Quote:

Yes, but then all the detractors (you know who you are, extremeskater) will be criticizing him for just phoning it in.
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Are you being sarcastic? Is that twisted humor or something? Scott Forstall gives me the the creeps. I wish Apple would hide him away in the basement or someplace. Every time he gets up on stage, chills run up and down my spine. Literally!

Tim Cook, on the other hand, has a very warm, pleasant personality.

Come on, that's a bit harsh. He'll get better; he's just nervous, and you're not helping by saying that. He seems to be a decent sort overall.

But have to agree that Tim Cook has great presence.
post #37 of 68
Quote:

Why would a company the size of Apple wait? A plan is in place in case the worst happens. In any situation like this you hope for the best but you have to plan for the worst.

People often talk about shareholder and the stock price well the worse thing you could do for the stock is create uncertainty

They just don't feel the need to let you know about it. Telling the shareholders is the same as telling the public. Unnecessary, the owners don't run the company, hired management does. If they feel that management is doing a bad job, they can fire them.
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Number of people in ignore list : 1
post #38 of 68
Quote:

I think the arguement is that by only doing a cameo via facetime, he would be making the statement that the "underlings" can handle the company moving forward, but that he is still overseeing (or at least a part of) big project while he is away. This would show the most stability within Apple IMO.

On the other hand, if the "one more thing" was that Steve is healthy and back full time, that wouldn't be a bad thing either.

My concern with any appearance by Jobs is that that will become the news rather then the new iPads. Apple likes to make sure the spotlight is on the products they announce.
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Come on, that's a bit harsh. He'll get better; he's just nervous, and you're not helping by saying that. He seems to be a decent sort overall.

But have to agree that Tim Cook has great presence.

My guess is that future media events are hosted by Phil Schiller. Cook will come onstage to go over any financial or other milestones. Then they will trot out the appropriate Sr. VP based on the product (Forstall, Serlet, Mansfield). If a new product design is involved Ive (or his replacement) comes onstage or they roll a video (which they have routinely done in the past).

I like Cook a lot, but I think that Apple would be making a mistake if they try to have him fill Jobs' shoes - no matter how good, he will never be as good as Jobs is in presenting new products. It makes more sense to me to adopt a different format because Apple truly will be a different company without Jobs.
post #40 of 68
Quote:

And we know that how, exactly?

Listen, instead of hanging on like vultures greedily waiting for the news of an untimely demise, why not invest your energies into something productive, like harboring only your best and warmest wishes for Steve Jobs? People seem to forget that Mr. Jobs, aside from being a snappy dresser and a hoot at a party, is a real human being, with real feelings, and actual hopes and desires... who maybe deserves just a little bit of compassion, a little bit of warmth, some understanding, and (wow, what a thought) maybe some well-wishing rather than greedy machinations concerning his mortality.

Maybe just a bit?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Steve Jobs said to be considering an appearance at Apple's iPad 2 event
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Steve Jobs said to be considering an appearance at Apple's iPad 2 event