or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs surprises with return to the stage at Apple's iPad 2 event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs surprises with return to the stage at Apple's iPad 2 event

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs surprised the crowd Wednesday by taking the stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, just weeks after he left his daily duties for health reasons.

Jobs was greeted with a standing ovation when he took the stage. He noted to the audience that Apple has been working on the second-generation iPad for awhile, and that he didn't want to miss its unveiling.

For his first announcement, Jobs revealed that Random House has come to the iBookstore for iOS devices. Random House will add more than 17,000 books to the digital storefront, and users have already downloaded more than 100 million books in less than a year from more than 2,500 publishers.

He also announced that Apple recently sold its 100 millionth iPhone, and that more than $2 billion has been paid to developers through the App Store. In addition, Jobs boasted that in 9 months the iPad sold more than every tablet PC ever, with 15 million in the hands of users.

Rumors first surfaced on Wednesday that Jobs was "mulling" a return to the stage, despite his recent health issues. Jobs announced in mid January that those issues had forced him to take a leave of absence from his daily duties at Apple, though he remains the company's CEO.















post #2 of 82
Way to go, Steve!
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #3 of 82
Go Steve!
post #4 of 82
In steve we trust!!!
post #5 of 82
awesome!
post #6 of 82
His face, at least, looks as full as pre-liver transplant Steve's, so that's good. Might be safe to grow out a beard again.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #7 of 82
Oh no. Looks like it's going to be $$ out the door again......

The man is some salesman.

Great to see him back!
post #8 of 82
is it really that big of a surprise. Not to me or a lot of folks that I know

Now if he had been in the hospital all this time pretty much on his death bed, THEN that would be surprising.

What is more of a surprise to me is that nothing was said about mobileme. Aren't there tons of rumors about new streaming, new prices, better idisk system (more like dropbox) etc. Wouldn't it have been appropriate to mention all that when it was brought up that they aren't increasing the internal storage sizes. to offset concerns about not having enough space for apps, photos, videos etc. or even these new imovie&garageband apps which I"m sure won't be small in size

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 82
it is so great to see him.
post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I felt bad for him, I didn't think he looked well at all. He lookes really thin and his face looks like he is 77 rather then 57. Not trying to be disrespectful to him, I just looked at some pictures from two years ago and he looks like he aged 20 years instead of 2 years.

You lose a liver and see how you fare.

Honestly, his vegan diet probably won't make recovery quick, but he's finally making visible progress, at least.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #11 of 82
I'd say I told you so...but I'm too deep in the liveblog to take the time...
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #12 of 82
All hail Steve!
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Honestly, his vegan diet probably won't make recovery quick, but he's finally making visible progress, at least.

Just curious: what non-vegan items do you think might help him to recover faster?
post #14 of 82
People who were actually there said he looked good. I'm glad -- Steve and the phenomenal team he has built at Apple have inspired billions (yes, even those without Apple products are inspired).

Way to go, Steve, Phil, Scott, Jony, Randy, Xander, Bob and their teams! Live long and prosper, and continue to fill our stockings with the coolest gadgetry this side of the 24th century.
post #15 of 82
He looked very poor.
post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

He looked very poor.

He looked rich to me, and not bad at all for what he's been through. Battle cancer and transplant issues and see if you can maintain an untouched countenance. He looked no different than he has looked for the last year or so - perhaps giving up the National Enquirer will unjaundice your eye.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #17 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

He looked rich to me, and not bad at all for what he's been through. Battle cancer and transplant issues and see if you can maintain an untouched countenance. He looked no different than he has looked for the last year or so - perhaps giving up the National Enquirer will unjaundice your eye.

I don't ready tabloids or even pay attention to the TMZ type sites. I just call it like I see it. He doesn't look good. Worse than the last time he gave a product announcement.
post #18 of 82
Hail Steve Jobs King of Magic! Great to see him on stage doing his thing so splendidly and better than anyone else. Been following him since early 1980s and he's the best.
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post

Just curious: what non-vegan items do you think might help him to recover faster?

The massive amounts of protein and calcium in meat, eggs, milk...

And no, no vegetable contains as much protein or iron as red meat, unless u eat a ton of it...
post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post

Just curious: what non-vegan items do you think might help him to recover faster?

I suspect Steve is an A or AB (more likely) blood type. There is a point to this.

An "open" or "part-time" vegetarian way might be the route to go. Steve should probably keep all fats to moderate, and add fish and eggs to his diet. Forget milk of any kind, skimp on starchy grains, beans, legumes and high fructose fruits. Hit low starch veggies hard and choose berries over fruit. Not sure about soya products; there are too many estrogenic probs there. Medium chain fats would help his energy levels and some coconut oil, possibly coconut water would be of help.

The Dalai Lama is a "part-time" vegetarian. As an O blood type he found he did not feel well and lacked energy on a vegetarian diet so he adds meat on alternate days. Steve could try this method but fish and occasional turkey might be worth a try.

He needs to monitor his body's response to food to figure out what he needs to keep and what to nix.

Your welcome. Glad you asked.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #21 of 82
Quote:
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs surprised the crowd Wednesday by taking the stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, just weeks after he left his daily duties for health reasons.

Jobs was greeted with a standing ovation when he took the stage. He noted to the audience that Apple has been working on the second-generation iPad for awhile, and that he didn't want to miss its unveiling.


It was a big surprise to me that Steve Jobs was well enough to carry some of his CEO duties, namely to unveil new products on stage with his famed 'Reality Distortion Field'.

I salute Steve Jobs' apparent good health and wish him well. May Steve Jobs live long to appreciate his retirement and enjoy his wealth. It's time for Steve Jobs to leave Apple on a high note and wish the best to his successor. Steve Jobs is part of Apple's history, not its future, especially with continuing health issues.

Thank you for a job done to the best of your abilities. But now, its time for someone else to show his abilities to lead Apple to new heights.


post #22 of 82
God bless the man! so glad to see him back on stage.
post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

God bless the man! so glad to see him back on stage.

Pretty sure God has already blessed this man. Fairly successful life by many measures.

Out of curiosity, would you want to swap places with him right now? (Ie, rich beyond measure, highly respected, lunch with the president, etc etc, BUT with a potentially fatal disease about which you can do little).

I ask only because I was thinking about it myself this morning, and came to the conclusion that my health actually matters more to me than everything that he has achieved. Not sure whether that is surprising or standard?

Thoughts?
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #24 of 82
yippie skippie
post #25 of 82
'scuse me, while I shout over this sourpuss:

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

yippie skippie

and now, under him:

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!
post #26 of 82
Hi guys,

Just got back from work. Is there any way I can watch the stream of this event? I tried looking at Apples website but couldn't find a link.

Thanks in advance =D
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

'scuse me, while I shout over this sourpuss:

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!



and now, under him:

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!


Any normal man with such an affliction would be probably in a hospice setting wearing depends undergarments.

Way to go Steve!!
post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Pretty sure God has already blessed this man. Fairly successful life by many measures.

Out of curiosity, would you want to swap places with him right now? (Ie, rich beyond measure, highly respected, lunch with the president, etc etc, BUT with a potentially fatal disease about which you can do little).

I ask only because I was thinking about it myself this morning, and came to the conclusion that my health actually matters more to me than everything that he has achieved. Not sure whether that is surprising or standard?

Thoughts?

You're going to die anyway, it's not as if you're making a choice between success and death. Besides, Steve Jobs has achieved a unique kind of success. It's not Larry Ellison success, or Bill Gates success. All they did was make business machines, and a whole lot of money.

rich beyond measure, highly respected, lunch with the president

Wow. You are measuring the man by all the wrong standards. None of that means anything to Jobs.

Steve Jobs is this generation's Disney. He brought some special things into the world. That's what is enviable about him - but anyone can (and more people should) set out to do that. Unfortunately, most of us see things like being knighted, meeting with the President, etc., as the measures of success. Most of us make recognition by other men our goal.

And for all the yapping about how self-involved the guy is, you know what? He's dying, but the only time you'll even hear him mention it is when he's raising money for research. Some ego.

Most of us will not live to see another extraordinary life like his.
post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Hi guys,

Just got back from work. Is there any way I can watch the stream of this event? I tried looking at Apples website but couldn't find a link.

Thanks in advance =D

Because it isn't up yet. Give it until tomorrow.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it isn't up yet. Give it until tomorrow.

Thanks
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

is it really that big of a surprise. Not to me or a lot of folks that I know

Now if he had been in the hospital all this time pretty much on his death bed, THEN that would be surprising.

What is more of a surprise to me is that nothing was said about mobileme. Aren't there tons of rumors about new streaming, new prices, better idisk system (more like dropbox) etc. Wouldn't it have been appropriate to mention all that when it was brought up that they aren't increasing the internal storage sizes. to offset concerns about not having enough space for apps, photos, videos etc. or even these new imovie&garageband apps which I"m sure won't be small in size

I was pretty surprised at Jobs' presence. I thought Apple might be concerned that Jobs would be the news instead of the new iPad. It looks like he did another stellar presentation - hopefully, it will be available soon.

I think the MobileMe announcements might come next month. They announced that the NC data center would not be operational until spring. Assuming they get things up-to-speed there in April, I can see a late-April/early-May announcement - conveniently between today's event a presumed iPhone/iOS5 announcement at WWDC.
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I felt bad for him, I didn't think he looked well at all. He lookes really thin and his face looks like he is 77 rather then 57. Not trying to be disrespectful to him, I just looked at some pictures from two years ago and he looks like he aged 20 years instead of 2 years.

I thought he looked pretty good but then I didn't expect that he was going to have some amazing transformation in a mere six weeks. People need to accept that he will likely always be thin the rest of his life due to his illnesses and their treatment. I'm hoping Apple puts the event up soon as that will give a better indication of his energy level.
post #33 of 82
I was surprised to see Steve at this event. I thought it was strange that the recent photo with the tech titans and President Obama only showed the back of Steve's head. Then there was that awful tabloid story with a "doctor" making predictions about his health.

Given all that he has been through I was pleasantly surprised that he looked ok. Not great, very thin etc. But he has always been very thin and a liver transplant is no walk in the park. But on stage he moved well, seemed sharp and his voice was strong.

He has been working from home, going out, meeting the president, and making a stressful presentation under intense media scrutiny. Reason to be hopeful...
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Thanks

Event can now be seen here:

here

post #35 of 82
Steve, eat a cheeseburger.

Make it a healthy organic grass-fed raw milk cheeseburger if you must, but eat one. Hell, eat two
post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Pretty sure God has already blessed this man. Fairly successful life by many measures.

Out of curiosity, would you want to swap places with him right now? (Ie, rich beyond measure, highly respected, lunch with the president, etc etc, BUT with a potentially fatal disease about which you can do little).

I ask only because I was thinking about it myself this morning, and came to the conclusion that my health actually matters more to me than everything that he has achieved. Not sure whether that is surprising or standard?

Thoughts?

Very interesting question. Let me rephrase to suit my view on it. Would I like a life fully-lived and making a huge impact but with poor health, or a boring, pedestrian one with little or no impact on those around me but with great health?

It'd be a toss-up for me.
post #37 of 82
Somehow, I think his doctors have this covered.

He did look ok to me. He smiled a lot, and he didn't look or act tired. I was disappointed he didn't show for the stockholder meeting. That had me concerned. But as he appeared here, it shows he isn't going into isolation.
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Very interesting question. Let me rephrase to suit my view on it. Would I like a life fully-lived and making a huge impact but with poor health, or a boring, pedestrian one with little or no impact on those around me but with great health?

It'd be a toss-up for me.

We don't really want to go before we have to. But, if I had a choice of giving up ten or possibly even twenty years, but would make a big, positive, impact on society when I was around, and so people would remember me for decades, and even possibly, hundreds of years later, I would trade the extra years for that.
post #39 of 82
Go Steve! so nice to see steve back in action!
post #40 of 82
Glad to see him, but he looked the thinnest I've ever seen him. Though, If anyone can beat it, it's him.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs surprises with return to the stage at Apple's iPad 2 event