or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor - Page 9

post #321 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

I want to be able to directly connect a USB flash drive to the iPad itself. Our campus is without WiFi and if I need to be able to upload something from one computer to another then this is the easiest way. If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

Dropbox, 3G
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #322 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.

You're on the wrong page, my friend. Nobody gives a flying f*** about Flash anymore. Millions of iPad 1 users can't all be wrong.

If you want Flash, by all means sit around and wait for the Xoom's update. Then sit around waiting for the battery to recharge after ten minutes of drainage by Flash ads on some site.

Get over it. The iPad does not and will not have Flash and that's just the way it is and it's the way many of us prefer it. And what's LTE got to do with anything?
post #323 of 411
Quote:

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.

Unless you put the $300 you save by buying the WiFi version towards buying an LTE pocket WiFi and using that.
post #324 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

You're on the wrong page, my friend. Nobody gives a flying f*** about Flash anymore. Millions of iPad 1 users can't all be wrong.

Hold your horses, mate. I'm yet to see an iPad among my friends, and major reasons for that are necessity of iTunes and lack of Flash.

I agree that one can live without Flash if one chooses to, but saying that nobody wants it because millions of iPad are sold is a bit of overstatement. Those millions are really nothing compared to potential market.
post #325 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If the only change was to double the resolution of the screen, could it still be considered (using a salesman's flexible semantics) an iPad2? They could sell boatloads of such a model during the gift-giving season, even at a higher price. And, if they have supplier agreements cornering the supply for the better screens, no competing tablet could match it. I haven't given up hope.

I agree. If it happens, I see a premium model priced higher sitting atop the rest of the iPads. The higher price would temper demand while the work to improve display yields. I have not completely lost hope but iPad2 HD doesn't sound right to me either.
post #326 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Dual core CPU sounds like a marketing gimmick - since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.

You really shouldn't use technical terms like "dual core" and "multitask" if you have no idea what they mean. Which obviously you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

in which case, presumably, 5.1 lossy audio will be down sampled to stereo for playback via the iPad 2 speaker(s).

although the HDMI specification (version 1.0 and above) supports 1080p video, i suspect the iPad 2 will still be limited to 720p output.

Actually, I believe iTunes movies have both a 5.1 and stereo tracks, so no need to down sample the 5.1 audio.

Also, Apple's web site says, "HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p)". So it has 1080p, but it's unclear how it achieves that. Does it scale up the 1024x768 display, or does it re-render it at 1080p? This can make a big difference when viewing still photos.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTc5OTU4MjA

Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Higher resolution cameras in portable devices are gimmicks. Higher resolution only makes sense for bigger lenses. Read about the megapixel myth to find out. The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are in exactly the sweet spot. And you can print even A3 sizes with an iPhone 4. Try it. I have.

Actually, Apple doesn't list the resolution of the rear camera. In all likelihood, it's the same camera as in the iPod touch. 0.9 megapixel, which mean it's limited to 720p resolution, even for still photos. That's not even sufficient to print a 4x6. But in general you are correct about the megapixel myth. Give me 3-5 high-quality megapixels over 10 crappy megapixels any day.
post #327 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

The iPad uses cellular wireless. The Providers have different networks. Maybe the networks should all be the same frequency? It's not about the phones!

The Gobi chip provides CDMA and GSM/UMTS baseband - it is what they are using in the Verizon iPhone. I'm guessing they could not fit it into the slimmed-down enclosure (since Apple likes to maximize its use of common parts).

Most carriers use the same frequencies with a few odd-balls like T-Mobile US.
post #328 of 411
Quote:

If you want Flash, by all means sit around and wait for the Xoom's update. Then sit around waiting for the battery to recharge after ten minutes of drainage by Flash ads on some site.

Get over it. The iPad does not and will not have Flash and that's just the way it is and it's the way many of us prefer it. And what's LTE got to do with anything?

Found this today:
Quote:
A whopping 63 percent of all videos on the Web are now HTML5-compatible, compared to only 10 percent just a year ago, according to video-sharing site Mefeedia. Instead of relying solely on Flash to display their videos, many more Web sites are adopting video formats that can run directly in HTML5-compatible browsers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20038308-93.html
post #329 of 411
Quote:

Well my friend Flash is far from dead. Keep hearing on this forum that Flash is but its still all over the place. Also if you are going to comment on a subject at least follow what we are talking about. My point was others always say Flash is dead are now making it an issue that its not available on the Xoom. So they need to make up their mind either Flash is an issue or not , they can't change their mind based on the device.

I think the point they are making is that Flash is used by Motorola as a selling point for the Xoom but that it is not actually available. It probably would not be much of an issue except that mobile Flash projects seem to be always delayed.
post #330 of 411
Quote:

to me it's hard to believe that the biggest complaint is the lack of ports. Good grief, with the current iPad I could plug in my camera, plug in anything else through the dock connector, and be on my way. I don't need or want the side of my tablet to look like a G-D PC with so many specialized ports. this is a tablet, folks, and I want it to be free of clutter, which means keeping the ports to a minimum. I'm surprised you don't want a VGA port so it will be backward-compatible with your last-century CRT display.

If you want ports, the iPad is not for you. Get over it.

I still say another tiny hole or two beats a buncha fugly, tangled, easily-misplaced, overpriced, dingle-dangle dongles all hangin' outta the bottom and switching adapters to switch devices.

If I'm writing docs or editing pics, I wanna print 'em. Upload from my cam. Display on my HDTV or monitor. Listen on my better speakers. Charge. Sync. (Bluetooth will do for the keyboard - which I'm gonna have 'cos I write alot.)

And with all the productivity, photo-editing, music and other apps on the iPad, you're telling me the iPad - which can be used and transported in so many ways - is not for me? Who made you commissar of iPad needs? (Well, Steve and Ives are that, I guess - you're just a proxy for "the Apple Way." I mean you won, I lost. But I shall continue to rant nonetheless. If only for the hell of it. Which means I may be starting to understand Apple Insider forum speak.)

I understand that TBolt's not gonna happen because the iPad isn't a PCI-E device, but I can't believe including a single USB port and maybe an HDMI is either a technical hurdle or that costly. And that USB port would work with every peripheral I have. Including charging (and transferring media from) my cell phone and cam (and, blush, charging my e-cigarette battery) with a minimum of bricks (and adapter cables) in my bag, i.e., one for my iPad.

(PS: After the first 10 minutes I wasn't planning to spend a lot of hours looking at the side to see if it looks "cluttered.")

Anyway, I think that would look less ungainly and cobbled together than what we got. Oh well.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #331 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This from a guy who bought 3 (or is it 9) Samsung Galaxy Tabs because they are perfect...

I thought it was so he had plenty of backups to ensure he had at least one working one on hand at any time
post #332 of 411
The iPad 2 looks awesome, but $130 for the 3G chip still seems excessive. It seems like the 3G buyers are helping Apple subsidize the $499 price for the WiFi-only buyers.
post #333 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm almost surprised you're not complaining that they don't sell a case for the case, so the case doesn't get scratched...

No kidding. This fetish for cases and keeping devices in pristine condition always amazes me.

Hell if you never take it out of the box it will last longer and be worth more to resell later too! It's not a freaking Star Wars doll from the '70s or a comic book, it's a mobile device that is designed to be used and abused!

Talk about being possessed by your possessions...
post #334 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Personally, I only have ONE disappointment, which is that GPS chips are still exclusive to the 3G models.

The TomTom car kit works with the iPad with an iPod dock extender cable.

But for the cost of dock and cable you could just get the WiFi model. But if you have the TomTom car kit, a $20 extender cable will hook you up!
post #335 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Not sure about Playbook, but compared to Honeycomb tablets, iPad 2 doesn't really seem to be much different.

Yup, and if they aren't that much different which one are you going to pick? The one that has a mature, vibrant and rich ecosystem, or one that is fragmented and dramatically smaller?

Boom! That's why Apple will steamroll on and Android will remain a low tier, low profit, high volume, low value "alternative".
post #336 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I couldn't care less about the apps. That'll pickup for Android.

famous last words...

Quote:
And really, how many is a person going to pay for and use?

It's not that you will buy 65,000 but that you have 65,000 to choose from.

I thought choice was good. Oh wait, only "open" choice is good

Quote:
But if I go with the iPad then I'd rather spend less than $499 and maybe pickup last year's model or get a refurb...or pay $499 and get more memory. Gonna have to sleep on this one.....

Heck, if you are going to get last years model the 16GB are popping up for $350 in the refurb section. An absolute steal...
post #337 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.

So Apple added expense for something that does no good?

LOL - seriously, do people even think about what they are typing? This is so hilariously stupid I'm continually astounded that inane thoughts such as these ever see the light of day.

Whew... and I thought I had read it all when I made the mistake of reading the comments at engadget
post #338 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's not that you will buy 65,000 but that you have 65,000 to choose from.

I thought choice was good. Oh wait, only "open" choice is good

Choice seems to only be good when Apple doesn't have the most choices.
post #339 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It still has a comically large bezel around the screen.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually held or used a touch sensitive tablet...

Quote:
And crucially no new OS, and iOS as it stands now is a generation behind Honeycomb.

And the clincher. Yup, another uniformed astroturfer.

Quote:
This was a very small update indeed, and clearly a stop gap until a retina display equipped quad core iPad 3 arrives.

With one critical difference - between iPad2 and iPad3 tens of millions of iPad2s will be sold. How many honeycomb tablets? Will they make a million? And let's be specific - a Million sold, not a million stuffed into the channel, or sold and then returned....
post #340 of 411
Quote:

All I'm asking for is a USB connection [..] I need to be able to toss the iPad in my bag with the ability to add files directly on the go without fumbling with a bag of cords.

So one adaptor or one cord = "bag of cords"?

Hyperbole much?
post #341 of 411
Quote:

If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

The SD card adaptor in the Camera kit? Same size as a flash drive you are alluding to using to transfer between PC's? Just leave the SD card in the SD Card Camera kit and you essentially have a flash drive with an iPod dock connector on it.

Really, it's not that hard, nor as burdensome are many are trying to hype.
post #342 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

How independent is it from a "mothership" computer?

For motherships, look into www.eve-online.com.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #343 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

But for people like me who want a small computer to write and test code on the go...it is still a toy. I am "stuck" using a Macbook Air.

Lucky man ..... a Macbook Air. Which model did you buy and how do you like it?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #344 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Same old apple......

Beautiful hardware.... Shame about the ios software. Still just a glorified app launcher. Still you can't blame them for playing to their strengths

Any computer I've ever seen, the only time it was useful was when you launched an app .... so what's your point?
post #345 of 411
Hmm, I think all of the rumors about the iPad 2 is reveals, so don't have too many surprise: Faster, Lighter, Thinner
Cameras and Gyro
iOS 4.3 +FaceTime
3G on AT&T and Verizon
Same 10-hour battery life
Some upgrade are cool but can't really appeal to me, and buy it at once, I think I would stick with the 1gen iPad, and wait the iPad 3's launching in the autumn.
post #346 of 411
"So, I've said this before and I thought it was worth repeating. It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough - That it's technology married with liberal arts - Married with the humanities - That yields us the result that makes our hearts sing - And, nowhere is that more true than in these post PC-devices (iPod, iPhone, and iPad) and a lot of folks in this tablet market are rushing in and they're looking at this as the next PC - The hardware and software are done by different companies and they're talking about speeds and feeds just like they did with PCs and our experience and every bone in our bodies says that that is not the right approach to this - That these are post PC devices - That need to be even easier to use than a PC - That need to be even more intuitive than a PC - And where the software and hardware and the applications need to intertwine in an even more seamless way than they do on a PC- And we think we're on the right track with this - We think we have the right architecture not just in Silicon but in the organization to build these kinds of products - And so i think we stand a pretty good chance of being pretty competitive in this market"

This is what has allowed Apple to sell over 160 million iPhones - This is why Apple has over 60 billion in the bank - This is why Apple is the #1 tech company in the world, and this is why I'll be laying down my hard earned cash on March 11th.

Guess where you can shove your spec sheets...
post #347 of 411
I want it. 64GB 3G Black please.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #348 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet5 View Post

Hmm, I think all of the rumors about the iPad 2 is reveals, so don't have too many surprise: Faster, Lighter, Thinner
Cameras and Gyro
iOS 4.3 +FaceTime
3G on AT&T and Verizon
Same 10-hour battery life
Some upgrade are cool but can't really appeal to me, and buy it at once, I think I would stick with the 1gen iPad, and wait the iPad 3's launching in the autumn.

The iPad 1 is truly an awesom device and with the OS upgrade you will get a lot of the 2nd gen's functionality. For me the iPad 2 is exactly what I hoped for and since my wife wants one too... wel she is OK to take my 1st gen iPad, wich brings me into the lucky position to have all reason to buy this little jewel.
post #349 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I want it. 64GB 3G Black please.

Thats my pick too. Sooooo looking forward.
post #350 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I agree that one can live without Flash if one chooses to, but saying that nobody wants it because millions of iPad are sold is a bit of overstatement. Those millions are really nothing compared to potential market.

They may be nothing to the "potential market" .... but they are certainly something to the only market that counts (the current market) ..... over 90% of the current market. We'll see how much of the future market gets taken by Apple, when the future arrives ... but it isn't here yet.
post #351 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, Apple doesn't list the resolution of the rear camera. In all likelihood, it's the same camera as in the iPod touch. 0.9 megapixel, which mean it's limited to 720p resolution, even for still photos. That's not even sufficient to print a 4x6. But in general you are correct about the megapixel myth. Give me 3-5 high-quality megapixels over 10 crappy megapixels any day.

There is also the thickness of the camera kit that needs to be talked about. On many cellphones, the thickest part of the phone itself came from the camera unit --- often the camera is protruding.

Something's got to give. Apple wants to have a ultra-thin nothing-is-protruding ipad2, so you will have a pair of less than stellar cameras.
post #352 of 411
HeY fellas,

Am so excited about the ipad2. The inclusion of the smart cover was really thoughtful. Man with dual core processors and face time we can beat Olive Pad's ass anytime.
post #353 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

Who cares what the ram is? The iPad does what it is designed to do very well. It's not a PC.

Actually the original iPad has all sorts of problems directly related to the amount of RAM installed. IPad really has a UNIX like OS running below that GUI goodness, thus it can easily make use of that extra RAM. If it is there.

Contrary to some opinions here I don't think iPad 2 is that bad of an upgrade. That is if RAM has expanded to the desired 512 MB. Of all the things that Apple has done with iPad marketing I see the sleaziest as its refusal to divulge important parameters like RAM size.

Besides that iPad really comes up short when doing one of the things it should do well. That is surfing the net with Safari. The extreme lack of RAM in iPad one leads to excessive page reloads which slows the machine and expands data usage. It is almost as if Apple configured IPad to use you data allotment excessively.
post #354 of 411
I'll let ya in on a "secret": SJ and Apple are NOT in a spec-sheet race. They are in a "user-friendly" and "experience" race... and by all accounts, they are winning "The Race" by a long mile.

"The Race" = who can get the next revolution of computing devices, at an affordable yet profitable price-point, into the hands of as many people as possible, and make them say, "WOW!... how did I ever live without this great gadget before".

Horse-bet: 1:1 odds Apple sells 40 mil in 2011... 1:1,5 - 60 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually the original iPad has all sorts of problems directly related to the amount of RAM installed. IPad really has a UNIX like OS running below that GUI goodness, thus it can easily make use of that extra RAM. If it is there.

Contrary to some opinions here I don't think iPad 2 is that bad of an upgrade. That is if RAM has expanded to the desired 512 MB. Of all the things that Apple has done with iPad marketing I see the sleaziest as its refusal to divulge important parameters like RAM size.

Besides that iPad really comes up short when doing one of the things it should do well. That is surfing the net with Safari. The extreme lack of RAM in iPad one leads to excessive page reloads which slows the machine and expands data usage. It is almost as if Apple configured IPad to use you data allotment excessively.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #355 of 411
First let me say I'm one of those that supports the desire for a USB port and an SD slot. It is a minor disappointment that iPad 2 apparently has niether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I still say another tiny hole or two beats a buncha fugly, tangled, easily-misplaced, overpriced, dingle-dangle dongles all hangin' outta the bottom and switching adapters to switch devices.

Adapters that Apple taxes heavily because of the iPod connector tax. Beyound that many adapters are forced to tie themselves with a specific piece of software. All this ends up meaning one thing, expensive I/O.
Quote:
If I'm writing docs or editing pics, I wanna print 'em. Upload from my cam. Display on my HDTV or monitor. Listen on my better speakers. Charge. Sync. (Bluetooth will do for the keyboard - which I'm gonna have 'cos I write alot.)

These are all good reasons to want to have a USB port. I've never understood why people dismiss these and others out of hand. Or worst offer up the kludge of the camera connection kit.
Quote:
And with all the productivity, photo-editing, music and other apps on the iPad, you're telling me the iPad - which can be used and transported in so many ways - is not for me? Who made you commissar of iPad needs? (Well, Steve and Ives are that, I guess - you're just a proxy for "the Apple Way." I mean you won, I lost. But I shall continue to rant nonetheless. If only for the hell of it. Which means I may be starting to understand Apple Insider forum speak.)

There is ample justification for rants due to the missing SD slot and to a lesser extent the USB port. The SD slot should be a no brainer and further cost Apple very little in the way of battery life issues.

USB on the other hand is admittedly a more complex issue.
Put that port in and many would expect profile support and drivers for everything. Currently there is no mechanism that I know of to install those drivers so that is a problem. Beyound that there is a real problem of power usage. Even with these negatives and others., I still think Apple could provide a reasonable amount of USB functionality. Even with TB USB will be around for just about ever.
Quote:
I understand that TBolt's not gonna happen because the iPad isn't a PCI-E device,

I think you could be wrong here on a couple of accounts. One is that TB needs low-cost end points to be successful, so either Apple or Intel must be working on a less involved solution. That is a TB chip that handles the interfacing of the PCI - E stream to other bus structures.

The other issue is that Apple could easily add PCI Express lanes to the A5 or latter versions. In fact PA Semi was noted for their serial I/O lines. The point is just because a system doesn't have PCI - E today doesn't imply it won't be there tomorrow.

Finally if they do support TB in a future model it will likely be when they can integrate directly into the SoC. That could imply a limited functionality end point. No matter what the software development is non trivial.
Quote:
but I can't believe including a single USB port and maybe an HDMI is either a technical hurdle or that costly.

Electrically and mechanically it is no big deal.
Quote:
And that USB port would work with every peripheral I have.

This isn't the case at all. Many USB devices require drivers, many from third party sources. I believe one of the reasons Apple calls the USB dongle a camera connection kit is simply that they don't want to support anything else. By calling the dongle a camera connection kit and not a USB interface they are not under any obligation to support other devices.

In the end supporting USB hardware is trivial. Support USBs software requirements isn't at all.
Quote:
Including charging (and transferring media from) my cell phone and cam (and, blush, charging my e-cigarette battery) with a minimum of bricks (and adapter cables) in my bag, i.e., one for my iPad.

(PS: After the first 10 minutes I wasn't planning to spend a lot of hours looking at the side to see if it looks "cluttered.")

I honestly think these cries of cluttered come from people with simple minds. There is a massive untouched potential in iPad and iPad like devices. Some of those potentials require communicating with the outside physical world. If a person doesn't see beyond what is provided to him than obviously flexibility and adaptability is seen as clutter.

After a few minutes of use nobody would even notice the port. Beyond the software and marketing issues the port isn't a big deal.
Quote:
Anyway, I think that would look less ungainly and cobbled together than what we got. Oh well.

In some ways I'm very pleased with the new iPad. I'm more bothered by Apples sleazy hide the specs game. Especially the important one related to the RAM and to a lesser extent the lack of details with respect to the processor. As to looks I will have to see it in a store before I pass judgement. I know with iPad one picking up the unit in the store and playing with it changes your opinion very quickly.

In any event I just wanted to point out that TB could very well be in the running for future iPads. The lack of a PCI Express facility on current hardware means nothing.
post #356 of 411
I see two orientations for the Smart Cover. How does that work? Are there two types of Smart Cover, one that folds along the long side and one that folds along the short side? Do I need two covers if I want to be able to use it as a stand in both orientations?
post #357 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'll let ya in on a "secret": SJ and Apple are NOT in a spec-sheet race. They are in a "user-friendly" and "experience" race... and by all accounts, they are winning "The Race" by a long mile.

A product that is short on RAM can not give you the positive experience you claim Apple is after. Further it isn't very user friendly to have software fail because there isn't enough RAM to open a document.

The whole point in sitting here focusing on the cloak and dagger business with installed RAM, is that it does impact the user experience in a big way. Especially on iPad where the is no VM for user data. If you are looking at iPad 2 one of the things that should concern you is the ability to do things the old model couldn't do because of the lack of RAM.

It is a simple parameter to publish. If Apple had stated on their spec sheet that the new model has 512MB of RAM I would know immediately that user apps now have about 3times the RAM available to them. With Apples nonsense it is all guess work.
Quote:
"The Race" = who can get the next revolution of computing devices, at an affordable yet profitable price-point, into the hands of as many people as possible, and make them say, "WOW!... how did I ever live without this great gadget before".

It is 5:00 in the morning here maybe you are dreaming.
Quote:
Horse-bet: 1:1 odds Apple sells 40 mil in 2011... 1:1,5 - 60 million.

I really don't care if Apple sells a hundred million, if Safari can't do what it needs to do for me then the device is useless. Apple being forthright about the installed RAM just makes considering the new version easier. As it is now one has to find a trusted source for info Apple should supply. That to simply determine if the device will give the user experience needed.
post #358 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

I see two orientations for the Smart Cover. How does that work? Are there two types of Smart Cover, one that folds along the long side and one that folds along the short side? Do I need two covers if I want to be able to use it as a stand in both orientations?

You see wrong. It's long side only.
post #359 of 411
That cover looks really cool. Seriously.
post #360 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First let me say I'm one of those that supports the desire for a USB port and an SD slot. It is a minor disappointment that iPad 2 apparently has niether.

Adapters that Apple taxes heavily because of the iPod connector tax. Beyound that many adapters are forced to tie themselves with a specific piece of software. All this ends up meaning one thing, expensive I/O.

These are all good reasons to want to have a USB port. I've never understood why people dismiss these and others out of hand. Or worst offer up the kludge of the camera connection kit.

There is ample justification for rants due to the missing SD slot and to a lesser extent the USB port. The SD slot should be a no brainer and further cost Apple very little in the way of battery life issues.

USB on the other hand is admittedly a more complex issue.
Put that port in and many would expect profile support and drivers for everything. Currently there is no mechanism that I know of to install those drivers so that is a problem. Beyound that there is a real problem of power usage. Even with these negatives and others., I still think Apple could provide a reasonable amount of USB functionality. Even with TB USB will be around for just about ever.

I think you could be wrong here on a couple of accounts. One is that TB needs low-cost end points to be successful, so either Apple or Intel must be working on a less involved solution. That is a TB chip that handles the interfacing of the PCI - E stream to other bus structures.

The other issue is that Apple could easily add PCI Express lanes to the A5 or latter versions. In fact PA Semi was noted for their serial I/O lines. The point is just because a system doesn't have PCI - E today doesn't imply it won't be there tomorrow.

Finally if they do support TB in a future model it will likely be when they can integrate directly into the SoC. That could imply a limited functionality end point. No matter what the software development is non trivial.
Electrically and mechanically it is no big deal. This isn't the case at all. Many USB devices require drivers, many from third party sources. I believe one of the reasons Apple calls the USB dongle a camera connection kit is simply that they don't want to support anything else. By calling the dongle a camera connection kit and not a USB interface they are not under any obligation to support other devices.

In the end supporting USB hardware is trivial. Support USBs software requirements isn't at all.
I honestly think these cries of cluttered come from people with simple minds. There is a massive untouched potential in iPad and iPad like devices. Some of those potentials require communicating with the outside physical world. If a person doesn't see beyond what is provided to him than obviously flexibility and adaptability is seen as clutter.

After a few minutes of use nobody would even notice the port. Beyond the software and marketing issues the port isn't a big deal.

In some ways I'm very pleased with the new iPad. I'm more bothered by Apples sleazy hide the specs game. Especially the important one related to the RAM and to a lesser extent the lack of details with respect to the processor. As to looks I will have to see it in a store before I pass judgement. I know with iPad one picking up the unit in the store and playing with it changes your opinion very quickly.

In any event I just wanted to point out that TB could very well be in the running for future iPads. The lack of a PCI Express facility on current hardware means nothing.

Wow! What a great post that dealt with every point I raised. I feel like I've just been to iPad seminar! Thanks for the education..... ...I'm always as happy to be wrong but now corrected as I am to right in the first place. Altho' I know enough that I really should've considered the driver issue.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor