or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor - Page 10

post #361 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You see wrong. It's long side only.

Indeed, I paused the movie at the end and it is long side. So, no stand for portrait mode? Too bad. Still an ingenious and elegant solution.
post #362 of 411
Once again, Apple gets it right and judging by some of the comments that I've been reading on various sites, the Apple haters and other forms of lower species are all apparently losing their minds and they're getting pretty desperate now. I find the whole spectacle rather hilarious.

Those who are old enough to have been following Apple from the beginning have seen it all and heard it all before. It's the same old tired and recycled comments, coming from people who haven't got the faintest clue as to why Apple's products are successful in the first place.

It's about the whole user experience and it's about the marriage of the hardware with the software. That's always been the case with Apple and it didn't just start with the iPad. Besides a few pimply faced trolls on message boards, nobody really gives a rat's ass if you can root your phone or your tablet and the average consumer doesn't give two shits about technical specifications.

What they care about is how the product feels and works when they're holding it in their hands and they're actually using it. That's what people care about. The iPad is more like an appliance than a computer. That's why the iPad is such a success and the iPad 2 builds upon that success by making various improvements which means that millions of more people will be buying an iPad in 2011. Meanwhile, the competitors and the haters will all be scratching their dense heads and wondering why nobody is buying (insert inferior copycat tablet here).
post #363 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually the original iPad has all sorts of problems directly related to the amount of RAM installed. IPad really has a UNIX like OS running below that GUI goodness, thus it can easily make use of that extra RAM. If it is there.

Contrary to some opinions here I don't think iPad 2 is that bad of an upgrade. That is if RAM has expanded to the desired 512 MB. Of all the things that Apple has done with iPad marketing I see the sleaziest as its refusal to divulge important parameters like RAM size.

Besides that iPad really comes up short when doing one of the things it should do well. That is surfing the net with Safari. The extreme lack of RAM in iPad one leads to excessive page reloads which slows the machine and expands data usage. It is almost as if Apple configured IPad to use you data allotment excessively.

All that power and still gimped multitasking.
post #364 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

That cover looks really cool. Seriously.

I'buy one leather cover for week-ends only and maybe two made of polyU for the week.
post #365 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I'buy one leather cover for week-ends only and maybe two made of polyU for the week.

Nice.

I definitely want one of those leather ones. I just think it's a kick-ass idea.
post #366 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Pretty much what was expected" - An incremental 'Update'.

It would have been nice to have:

- A higher resolution display
- A bump to 128gb at the high end
- Higher resolution cameras
- Built-in Stereo speakers
- An SDHC/XC card slot for transferring pictures etc.
- A dock port that allows the connector to sit flush writhe the device.
- A design that didn't force one to buy all new cases/accessories.

Overall, this really is what the device should have been at the beginning, and I'm sure it will sell very well.

I was going to post a reply, then I thought why bother, any logic would be lost on you.
post #367 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I was going to post a reply, then I thought why bother, any logic would be lost on you.

What's amazing is how much they were able to jam into this thing, while making it thinner and lighter.

Oh, and keeping it the same price.

But I'm not getting one, since it doesn't have a touchable hologram of Taylor Swift. I mean, that's what I was counting on Apple delivering, and they were obviously too cheap to really "go for it."
post #368 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

All that power and still gimped multitasking.

So buy something with "real" multitasking.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #369 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybervex View Post

I also remember the lack of iPad native apps available when I powered up my iPad on day one.

http://obamapacman.com/2010/04/over-...d-launch-date/

How is 1000 apps on day 1 a lack of native apps?
post #370 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybervex View Post

I fail to see how the Xoom is overpriced. I paid $829 for my iPad. The Xoom costs $799 without contract.

I also remember the lack of iPad native apps available when I powered up my iPad on day one.

The bickering back and forth makes me laugh. I love my iPad and wont give it up till Apple makes one with 4G and MORE resolution. Having said that I am considering purchasing a Xoom to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How much will a 32GB memory card cost, to bring the Xoom up to 64GB of memory?

Seeing as you chose to base your comparison on the 64GB iPad.

$65 for a 32gb microSD. Making the Xoom WAY overpriced by $35 unless you purchase with a contract bringing it down to $165 cheaper than the iPad. I should mention I have the data plan from AT&T since day one so we are comparing apples to Apple sort of.
post #371 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Dual core CPU sounds like a marketing gimmick - since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.

Wrong multi cores are not just used just for multitasking but to optimize currently executing tasks, smart programs can distribute the work on multiple cores for better performance and that's exactly what's going to happen with the use of GCD.
post #372 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

Wrong multi cores are not just used just for multitasking but to optimize currently executing tasks, smart programs can distribute the work on multiple cores for better performance and that's exactly what's going to happen with the use of GCD.

Not to mention that he's wrong and there is multitasking to be found in iOS, so dual core can help reduce the load on the core being used for your currently viewed app.
post #373 of 411
The magic cover really adds a laptop feel to the iPad wow, I am well impressed!
post #374 of 411
Here in Japan the cover is getting an interesting reaction: it reminds people (I've talked to a few who said the same thing today) of the cover for baths in the home which are quite common due to the culture of sharing the bath here. I wonder where Apple got the idea...

TUAW has it:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/03/new-i...bath-tub-lids/

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #375 of 411
Apparently multitasking is only "real" if programs are indiscriminately allowed to drain your battery while they do things in the background that may or may not be productive.

Come on, the iPad allows you to run chat programs in the background, play music in the background, monitor GPS in the background, with full efficiency as you do whatever you're doing in the foreground. What exactly is it that you want to "multitask"? You wanna run SETI@home or something? Download BT files? Render 3D?

Talk about gimmicks and waste of resources.
post #376 of 411
Quote:

Apparently multitasking is only "real" if programs are indiscriminately allowed to drain your battery while they do things in the background that may or may not be productive.

Come on, the iPad allows you to run chat programs in the background, play music in the background, monitor GPS in the background, with full efficiency as you do whatever you're doing in the foreground. What exactly is it that you want to "multitask"? You wanna run SETI@home or something? Download BT files? Render 3D?

Talk about gimmicks and waste of resources.

There are youtube videos showing that when you swipe up on the Playbook, the video player can either continue to play or pause. There are also youtube videos showing that the "need for speed" game can either continue to play or pause.

The end-user can indiscriminately do whatever they want.
post #377 of 411
So they've got a white iPad 2 now.

I wonder if there will be a white iPhone 4 soon? Or will Apple wait until the iPhone 5 to introduce a white version?

Can anyone think of any reasons for Apple to wait? Or to launch a white iPhone 4 soon?
post #378 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

There are youtube videos showing that when you swipe up on the Playbook, the video player can either continue to play or pause. There are also youtube videos showing that the "need for speed" game can either continue to play or pause.

And?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...s-ipad-rumors/

Along with the restoration of the hardware screen-orientation lock, the new iOS 4.3 beta for iPad adds new multitouch gestures to quickly switch between apps. Using four or five fingers, you can now swipe up to show the multitasking bar, and swipe left or right to switch between apps.

But it is a third gesture which is fueling speculation. If you pinch with your whole hand, you return to the home screen, no home-button press required.
post #379 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

And?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...s-ipad-rumors/

Along with the restoration of the hardware screen-orientation lock, the new iOS 4.3 beta for iPad adds new multitouch gestures to quickly switch between apps. Using four or five fingers, you can now swipe up to show the multitasking bar, and swipe left or right to switch between apps.

But it is a third gesture which is fueling speculation. If you pinch with your whole hand, you return to the home screen, no home-button press required.

I wasn't talking about the gestures --- I was talking about the end-user's ability to control whether an app to continue running full-speed in the background.
post #380 of 411
Not sure why you are even bringing this up. You know Apple doesn't want task managers on its consumer devices.

I cannot think of one person who dreams of controlling the CPU and memory allocation on their electronic device.

Quote:

I wasn't talking about the gestures --- I was talking about the end-user's ability to control whether an app to continue running full-speed in the background.
post #381 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Can anyone think of any reasons for Apple to wait? Or to launch a white iPhone 4 soon?

iPhone 5 comes out in June. It's POINTLESS now.

post #382 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPhone 5 comes out in June. It's [a white iPhone is] POINTLESS now.

Which would make the short run of 'em collector's items about 20 years from now!

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #383 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Hold your horses, mate. I'm yet to see an iPad among my friends, and major reasons for that are necessity of iTunes and lack of Flash.

No I'm not going to hold my horses. You have your circle of friends and I have mine, none of whom use Flash as it's disabled on their various computers Your group of friends is self-selecting, just like most people's friendships; you choose to (consciously or not) associate with those who don't have iPads for at least the reasons you state.

Among my limited circle are a good dozen iPad users who claim it's an amazing, even liberating, device. No one has complained about the itunes store and certainly the lack of Flash hasn't bothered them in the least. My acquaintances range from college-age students at the local university school of music, through professionals in their 30s, 40s and 50s, up to my demographic of retirees. For the iPad users of that group, Flash is a non-starter. When it comes up in discussion te usual reaction is either "what is Flash?" to "oh, thank god it's gone."

So okay, as to my statement that nobody wants it, I should have qualified it: Nobody outside of a few diehard Flash developers and those who can't live without it really cares whether or not it's on their iDevice.

The reality is that Apple has not supported Flash since the introduction of the original iPhone some four years ago. Since then Adobe has done what exactly to create a Flash that Apple would accept (and that other tablet makers would love to have so it doesn't eat up their battery life)? Absolutely nothing. Nada. Adobe's intransigence in correcting the problems Apple has identified speaks volumes about the subject.

Quote:
I agree that one can live without Flash if one chooses to, but saying that nobody wants it because millions of iPad are sold is a bit of overstatement. Those millions are really nothing compared to potential market.

I see. So people voting with their pocketbook are really nothing. I'll bet RIM and HP would love to have half that figure in sales. Talk to me in a year.
post #384 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Which would make the short run of 'em collector's items about 20 years from now!

Like my 4GB iPhone 2G and the unibody MacBook "Collector's Edition"...

post #385 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

No kidding. This fetish for cases and keeping devices in pristine condition always amazes me.

Hell if you never take it out of the box it will last longer and be worth more to resell later too! It's not a freaking Star Wars doll from the '70s or a comic book, it's a mobile device that is designed to be used and abused!

Talk about being possessed by your possessions...

Best comeback yet, Doc! thanks!
post #386 of 411
The iPad1 was a "must buy". The iPad2 is a "must buy" but only if you don't already own an iPad1.

I'm a massive Apple fan but none of the new features are making me feel the need to upgrade.

I didn't find the gen1 heavy, thick or slow.
The cameras are functional for what they are designed to do but I have a 10 year old phone with a better camera.
The new games will work with the Gen1 iPad so does it need up to 9x faster graphics?

I was a bit disappointed by this update to be honest but I'm happy to continue using my Gen1 and the iOS 4.3 will help me last another year. I wasn't expecting retina displays etc. Just an SD card reader and a 5mp camera would have done it for me, I'd have been at the front of the line like I was with Gen1. Here's hoping for a more interesting and usable update for Gen3.

Mind you, even if they hadn't bothered this year, all the other companies would still be playing catchup to the original iPad.
post #387 of 411
Quote:

Like my 4GB iPhone 2G and the unibody MacBook "Collector's Edition"...

Yeah, about like that....

My friend actually has the second model of the original Mac in her garage - dunno how the rigors of winter/summer temps have effected it - but it was working. Has the inside embossed sigs of the dev team and all. Wonder what it's worth?

More than my Commodore 64 or even my Apple issued Lisa and Apple III brochures or my VHS from the AIM Alliance (Apple, IBM, Moto - the "pink" project) I'm sure.....

post #388 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not sure why you are even bringing this up. You know Apple doesn't want task managers on its consumer devices.

I cannot think of one person who dreams of controlling the CPU and memory allocation on their electronic device.

End users can decide how each individual app can function in the background on the playbook. Suddenly, that concept is unreasonable? It is not "indiscriminately" as others have referred in this thread.
post #389 of 411
Its unreasonable to expect Apple to put this responsibility on the user when they've explicitly said they do not want to.

I'm sure requiring the end user to decide how each app can function in the background is going to be a total smash hit for the Playbook........

Quote:

End users can decide how each individual app can function in the background on the playbook. Suddenly, that concept is unreasonable? It is not "indiscriminately" as others have referred in this thread.
post #390 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its unreasonable to expect Apple to put this responsibility on the user when they've explicitly said they do not want to.

I'm sure requiring the end user to decide how each app can function in the background is going to be a total smash hit for the Playbook........

I didn't say that what Apple is doing is unreasonable. I said that it is not as "indiscriminately" for the Playbook as others had suggested. And it would be clear to developers (like game developers) that it would be stupid for the games to continue to play when you swipe up on the Playbook because your character would die. The end-user never has to make that decision because the game developer would have shipped the game with the pause of swipe up function as default.
post #391 of 411
this iPad 2 will be massive
i watched the keynote by SJ and those apps garage band and iMovie
are HUGE creative breakout apps
i can see me getting one for my 9 yr old just for the piano composing ability
instead of empty video games they can truly create
parents, schools, are going to go nuts for this
it's a new standard
and the ecosystem makes one think "why buy anything else" to do so would be so backward
what do the others really give you and AT 499

now how to get her music into this thing
they should have a music store or maybe purchase from book store
alfred piano theory needs to be in this format for download
WOW
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #392 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i can see me getting one for my 9 yr old just for the piano composing ability
instead of empty video games they can truly create
parents, schools, are going to go nuts for this

You might be interested in this.

http://speirs.org/blog/2011/3/2/some...on-ipad-2.html
post #393 of 411
Quote:

So buy something with "real" multitasking.

Like a MacBook Air!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #394 of 411
Quote:

Exactly my point. Who on Earth needs to waste their battery running NFS in the background!?
post #395 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

The fact that the 'A5' is dual-core is good enough for me. The iPad 2 will be plenty fast. But the hardware geek in me wants his curiosity filled. I want to know all the details of what's in that chip!

Salsa
post #396 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Once again, Apple gets it right and judging by some of the comments that I've been reading on various sites, the Apple haters and other forms of lower species are all apparently losing their minds and they're getting pretty desperate now. I find the whole spectacle rather hilarious.

Those who are old enough to have been following Apple from the beginning have seen it all and heard it all before. It's the same old tired and recycled comments, coming from people who haven't got the faintest clue as to why Apple's products are successful in the first place.

It's about the whole user experience and it's about the marriage of the hardware with the software. That's always been the case with Apple and it didn't just start with the iPad. Besides a few pimply faced trolls on message boards, nobody really gives a rat's ass if you can root your phone or your tablet and the average consumer doesn't give two shits about technical specifications.

What they care about is how the product feels and works when they're holding it in their hands and they're actually using it. That's what people care about. The iPad is more like an appliance than a computer. That's why the iPad is such a success and the iPad 2 builds upon that success by making various improvements which means that millions of more people will be buying an iPad in 2011. Meanwhile, the competitors and the haters will all be scratching their dense heads and wondering why nobody is buying (insert inferior copycat tablet here).

There are a few channels where the clone tabs are likely to do well in spite of your being right on the merits - the ones that are going to subsidize 'em: cellco stores, websites and kiosks - including the companies that Apple doesn't have agreements with.

Crowded superstore sections soon to be devoted to tabs will be another place where the sales help will often be clueless and point unsophisticated customers towards 'em.

post #397 of 411
Quote:

Exactly my point. Who on Earth needs to waste their battery running NFS in the background!?

It was a technology demo showing their OS. The game will ship with pause on swipe up as default. Game developers ain't going to ship their games with the game continuing on swipe up --- because your character would die.
post #398 of 411
Now Apple has published what is iPAD2. The media has been busy indeed, trying to be the first to get specs right. But that doesn't seem to quiet the continuing I wish it had a Retina Display, Works on 4G network, and also Flash. Also the Camera's need to be the quality of a Canon professional camera and I want to be able to replace my high performance MBP or x86 power house computer so I can run Final Cut, Aperture and on and on.

What these would-be designers don't realize is they also want 10 hours of operational time. With a little digging I found that those who want 4G speeds also find their batteries get less than 2 hours of use before they have to be recharged ... Same with Flash and retina display would take a lot more processor and graphic support not to mention more Ram, that Apple doesn't feel the need to announce. And of course, you all want this for a lower price, with more SSD storage.

Funny thing a lot of comparison are with XOOM. They haven't even shipped 4G or flash capability. Yes, the offer pc like multitasking... and they need all the extra memory to accomplish that with considerable more operational complexity and isn't even close to intuitional like the terrific iPAD is. Even Grandma and youngsters can readily use an iPAD. Give them a XOOM and watch how it would be received.

Also all the 60,000 apps for iPAD work, and work well with over 15 million units sold to date. With Android, every manufacturer tweaks the apps and there is no universal compatibility. Apple developers have received over $2 million in compensation for their efforts. Ask an Android developer how much he/she is receiving.

So forget iPAD3 ... it isn't going to happen in 2011... why should it. Just go buy an iPAD2 and enjoy twice the processor performance and 9 times the graphic performance over the original iPAD. Also enjoy the thinner, and lighter weight iPAD2 and the gorgeous designed cover with clever on/off action.

Your wants, hates, and I wishes are not going to change this year's beautiful upgrade.

LOL
post #399 of 411
There is some reason to believe that an analyst from the orient has it right. Time will tell.

This analyst says the iPAD2 has 512 MB with LPDD2 ram. This is low power higher performance ram that runs faster... thereby moving data quicker ... 1066 mhz/sec instead of 800 mhz/sec on the original iPAD. In some circles this would be called 4 times the performance.

Also realize that iOS does not operate like x86 OS... so it doesn't need a lot of ram. Also realize that Thunderbolt will not be part of iPAD as the processor is not PCI express oriented.

The gamers should be happier with 9 times graphics performance, twice the processor performance and now 4 times the ram performance (if this spec is actually true).

LOL
post #400 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Also realize that Thunderbolt will not be part of iPAD as the processor is not PCI express oriented.

It doesnt have to be to allow Apple to make a cable and connections for it since Thunderbolt is protocol independent. They can still utilize the higher wattage and data stream afforded by the future forward Thunderbolt connection. Do you really think Apple is investing in this technology and has no plans to ever move past USB2.0 for syncing and charging?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor