or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"

Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2" - Page 4

post #121 of 130
Melgross,

There are no software issues with an iPad display.
The GPU can handle it.
They can add RAM if needed.

If they bring in this model and reduce the price of the lowest non-retina model it would devastate the competition. What people who are arguing against this are saying is that Apple have to produce one iDevice revision per year, that makes no sense and isn't followed in the Mac world. Also what was the $4B for?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #122 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I in no way feel that a true iPad 3 is coming in the fall (I leave upgrades to iOS as the "mid-life-refesh" of the iPad2), but equally, I don't believe Apple's exploited all they can do with the iPod line, based in extending some of the capabilities of the Touch to enter (or create) new markets. And a more gaming-centric iPod or a more photography/video-centric one would be two ways to evolve the iPod line. Which hasn't had a real new model (I consider the new Nano a "sidegrade" at best and not a new "model" in any case) in a few years.

Well, of course Apple does come out with a new iPod line in September, so anything's possible with that. But the Touch is where they're putting most of their work as the rest of the line is slipping in sales, as are all other small music/video players these days.
post #123 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Of course they do. If they weren't interested in Market share they wouldn't have mentioned it so often.

You're taking that quote of his out of context. I'm not saying they don't care about marketshare. But Apple has its priorities, marketshare isn't the only thing they consider, and even when they do, they like to stick to their schedule. We've seen a number of writers, both professional, and posters here, predicting that Apple was going to move something up because of some marketshare concerns due to some new tech, but it never happens. I don't see it happening here either.
post #124 of 130
Quote:

Melgross,

There are no software issues with an iPad display.
The GPU can handle it.
They can add RAM if needed.

If they bring in this model and reduce the price of the lowest non-retina model it would devastate the competition. What people who are arguing against this are saying is that Apple have to produce one iDevice revision per year, that makes no sense and isn't followed in the Mac world. Also what was the $4B for?

Every technical change in a device requires changes in software. Drivers need to be changed. The gpu would need to be changed, requiring a major rewrite there. The CPU would need to be changed, requiring more OS and firmware work, etc.

What do you think? They can just drop a higher Rez display in without changing anything? They can't.

Steve talked about the graphics being up to 9 times faster. Well, if they dropped a four times higher Rez display in, graphics performance would drop by 75%. Do you think they're going to do that? I hope not!
post #125 of 130
And yet Cook says the iPhone should not just be for the rich, a clear claim on marketshare. And Jobs talks of little else, when he is beating the competition he mentions that in keynotes, not EPS.
post #126 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Every technical change in a device requires changes in software. Drivers need to be changed. The gpu would need to be changed, requiring a major rewrite there. The CPU would need to be changed, requiring more OS and firmware work, etc.

What do you think? They can just drop a higher Rez display in without changing anything? They can't.

Steve talked about the graphics being up to 9 times faster. Well, if they dropped a four times higher Rez display in, graphics performance would drop by 75%. Do you think they're going to do that? I hope not!

That's technically illiterate. The drivers don't need to be rewritten, the OS is resolution independent, the CPU needs no change and a GPU which is 9X faster can handle 4 times as many pixels. The GPU is overkill in fact, and proof that the display will come this year.
post #127 of 130
Quote:

That's technically illiterate. The drivers don't need to be rewritten, the OS is resolution independent, the CPU needs no change and a GPU which is 9X faster can handle 4 times as many pixels. The GPU is overkill in fact, and proof that the display will come this year.

My lord, I don't know what you think you know, but it isn't as much apparently, as you think. Even with the same cards, drivers are constantly being improved to get proper performance out of a gpu. That goes for PC cards, and it goes for built-in gpu's as well. And you're telling me I don't understand it? That's a laugh! Not only will a faster gpu be needed, but a faster CPU will be needed to feed that faster gpu more data for it to work on. This is basic computer science. Look it up.

You're also forgetting some simple things. Apple can't sell a higher Rez device with much poorer graphics performance than the one on the market already. You really aren't thinking this through. The now current iPad 2 comes with graphics performance up to 9 times as fast as the now discontinued one. This is a major advertising point they are making. If they use a display with four times as many pixels, that performance will drop by four times. So the model with the hi Rez display will have much poorer performance than the one with the much lower Rez display. It's pretty simple.

Marketing 101 states that you can't replace a product with a more poorly performing one. So, even if it were true that Apple used this gpu for a higher Rez screen, it doesn't matter, because it is now the standard performance level we will be expecting. So a higher Rez screen will need an even more highly performing gpu to just to keep even.

Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about until you show that you do.
post #128 of 130
The drivers dont need to be rewritten. They can talk to the GPU. If the GPU can drive the larger screen - which it can - then the GPU will drive the screen.

Quote:
And you're telling me I don't understand it? That's a laugh! Not only will a faster gpu be needed, but a faster CPU will be needed to feed that faster gpu more data for it to work on. This is basic computer science. Look it up.

You have no idea if a faster GPU will be needed. The GPU they are using is not known. What we know is that it is 9X faster than the original iPad so of course it can drive a retina display. As for your understanding of CPU vs GPU, I am afraid not sunshine. The iOS window server will talk directly to the GPU. On OS X with Quartz Extreme, no central processor (CPU) cycles are utilized for scene composition - thats since 10.2 and was true on weaker graphic cards than the iPad has right now. Probably true of iOS, but they are more secrative on iOS - however the iOS definitely uses a Window server.
post #129 of 130
Quote:

The drivers dont need to be rewritten. They can talk to the GPU. If the GPU can drive the larger screen - which it can - then the GPU will drive the screen.

You have no idea if a faster GPU will be needed. The GPU they are using is not known. What we know is that it is 9X faster than the original iPad so of course it can drive a retina display. As for your understanding of CPU vs GPU, I am afraid not sunshine. The iOS window server will talk directly to the GPU. On OS X with Quartz Extreme, no central processor (CPU) cycles are utilized for scene composition - thats since 10.2 and was true on weaker graphic cards than the iPad has right now. Probably true of iOS, but they are more secrative on iOS - however the iOS definitely uses a Window server.

You're losing it.
post #130 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I agree. I also know for a fact I would never buy any 10" tablet that uses a 2048×1536 for its resolution. That is just insane, for insanely small text and super tiny icons. I don't even have that high a resolution on my desktop 26" monitor. Resolutions like that would kill any kind of gaming fps. And you don't gain anything with such a high resolution on such a small display.

In my opinion. all these rumors as just things certain people want in the iPad and figure Apple will just add them if they spread the rumor.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"