or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2" - Page 2

post #41 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Agree with this and the similar thoughts being expressed. What's Steve gonna say, anyway? It's "the six-or-so-months-of-iPad 2-until-we-pop-out-a-new-model'? Geez. They just released a new, redesigned, updated product. Naturally, the focus is on that product right now! Why not? Now's now, and the fall is the fall. Meantime, they'll sell a zillion of these things. Even if an iPad 3, or 2 and a half, or whatever, is released this fall, the majority of this year's sales will be of iPad 2 devices. So no matter how you overanalyze this, it's the year of the iPad 2.

I don't see a single one of you guys giving even one really good reason why Apple SHOULD come out with a new model in September. All you're doing is saying that you don't see why they couldn't, which is a waste of time. A double negative is not a positive.
post #42 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Gruber tends to not just simply say things like this. Even if he says he's just saying them, there's usually more to it than that. Yes, he says it's a guess, but his guesses are practically always informed ones.

Not this time. Even he says that.
post #43 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He could put it down in writing, and you could still doubt it.

actually Jobs did put it down in writing - big white block letters on the theater's projection screen at least 5 feet tall. the last slide of the show! with him standing directly in front of it!!
post #44 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Good to see this thread totally useless after one post. Its like grade school around here.

Yeah, you came in to post.
post #45 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He could put it down in writing, and you could still doubt it. There is no reason to think Apple would have one later this year. It's just Gruber's speculation. I read his blog on it, and it didn't seem convincing.

It's much better for Apple to spread out their product releases over the year. It gives them more sales consistency, for one, and it makes it easier for their OEMs to schedule production time.

While having a new model in the fall will increase sales then, it would shrink sales this quarter. There wouldn't be much gain. Apple also likes to have well defined introductions without too many products, so that attention can be focussed on one big thing. I believe that's one reason they stopped going to the Macworlds and other shows.

It's not that I doubt it. I think it's very unlikely theyll release another this year, in fact.

However, nothing that was said today precludes the release of another. The article did a poor job of proving that it did. It stated in no uncertain terms that the statement that "2011: Year of the iPad 2" "kills" any rumors. And it offers no proof besides saying "Jobs wouldn't have said that were he planning to introduce another iPad model this summer," a statement that was not substantiated in any way. It's simply the authors opinion presented as indisputable fact.

Despite the fact that I agree with him, it's still a poor piece of writing. Journalists are welcome to opine, but only when presented as such.
post #46 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band

Couldn't agree more.
post #47 of 130
That's unfortunate. I don't think there is enough in the iPad2 to make me upgrade.

Maybe I'll buy a second one and move the original iPad to the kitchen or something.
post #48 of 130
They can easily add an iPad 2 Pro in the Year of the iPad 2.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
post #49 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

That does sound about right.
post #50 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

The ridiculous thing is that before the "Retina Display" rumour came along - and we still have absolutely no evidence that there's a single grain of truth to it - everybody wanted an iPad 2 much like the one that Apple delivered today. Thinner, lighter, front and back cameras, more powerful CPU (it remains to be seen how much RAM it has). We got all that in addition to two great new apps from Apple. But now there are people who are disappointed because Apple didn't deliver on a promise it never made. We really have no idea when Apple will deliver an Retina Display, whether it's even remotely cost effective to do so, or even if they actually have one planned at all. It should be obvious by now that many (most?) of these rumours are complete fabrications.

I think today's announcement was great and I am not the least bit disappointed.

However, I'd bet that Apple would have loved to deliver a Retina Display iPad today. People would take one look at it compared to everything else and snatched it up. And Apple would probably have the supply of such displays tied up for at least 9 months, if not longer.
post #51 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

They can easily add an iPad 2 Pro in the Year of the iPad 2.

because the next major bump in iPad capabilities will come with iOS 5! the software, not the hardware!! with improved notifications and widgets and other convenience stuff like that where Android is most competitive. in the Fall probably, same as last year's iPad bump to iOS 4 with multitasking, cut and paste, folders, etc.

and in between will come the iTunes/MobileMe enhancements that the iPad can also use to good advantage. Maybe something useful in OS X Lion too.

it's a bad misperception that only hardware upgrades are significant (the spec fixation), and a mistake not to realize there will be upcoming significant software/services improvements to the iPad this year beyond those coming next week.
post #52 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While having a new model in the fall will increase sales then, it would shrink sales this quarter. There wouldn't be much gain. Apple also likes to have well defined introductions without too many products, so that attention can be focussed on one big thing. I believe that's one reason they stopped going to the Macworlds and other shows.

It would not appreciably shrink sales this quarter if it is not announced beforehand.
post #53 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see a single one of you guys giving even one really good reason why Apple SHOULD come out with a new model in September. All you're doing is saying that you don't see why they couldn't, which is a waste of time. A double negative is not a positive.

The reason would be to completely knock the wind out of the competition. The only point in doing it would be to deliver a Retina Display - something so profoundly obvious that its absence in competitors products would make an iPad "the only choice".

I don't necessarily see this as aligning the iPad announcement with iPods. Instead, I see them delivering a premium device with a hi-def display this fall which gets pushed down to other models during the next spring refresh.

Since you've been in manufacturing, you can understand the advantage of having an extra few months to get yields up in a standard production run where demand could be tempered by a higher selling price.
post #54 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Bullshit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - look at what Apple does, don't listen to what they say.

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

As you say, look at what Apple does, and what they do is launch a new version ONCE a year. I don't see what the perceived rush is for Apple to launch an new iPad in September 2011. Plus with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 going on, it won't be a particularly happy time. They can just as easily launch a retina display in March 2012. Gives them something to crow about throughout the year.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #55 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

As you say, look at what Apple does, and what they do is launch a new version ONCE a year. I don't see what the perceived rush is for Apple to launch an new iPad in September 2011. Plus with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 going on, it won't be a particularly happy time. They can just as easily launch a retina display in March 2012. Gives them something to crow about throughout the year.

yeah, when in the last ten years has Apple launched two important hardware updates in a single calendar year for any single major hardware product? not the iPhone. not the iPod. no MacBook or iMac i can remember. the only variance from annual update cycles is when Apple has waited even longer than a year for one (like the Mac Mini and Apple TV).

and as you note, a retina display and even lighter carbon fiber shell would be a powerful new hardware attraction that would enable the iPad to continue to dominate the market throughout 2012, when Android tabs and their apps will sort-of catch up with iPad 2 otherwise (not to Garage Band tho).

the one hardware upgrade we might see out of cycle this Fall would be 4G for the Verizon iPad only. Verizon might be on its own sched this way, as part of its deal with Apple, having launched last October and wanting its own special annual market hype moment. it was notable that the iOS 4.3 update is not coming to the Verizon iPhone next week. we will have to see what that means if anything more than a brief delay for some minor reason.
post #56 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

As you say, look at what Apple does, and what they do is launch a new version ONCE a year. I don't see what the perceived rush is for Apple to launch an new iPad in September 2011. Plus with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 going on, it won't be a particularly happy time. They can just as easily launch a retina display in March 2012. Gives them something to crow about throughout the year.

I agree. I don't think the retina display for iPad can be economically and mass productionally ready for us before a year from now at the soonest. I love the new iPad 2. I'm ready to order mine next Friday as soon as MacConnection starts taking them. Getting the HDMI dongle too. Have the VGA dongle already. Just watched the keynote on my iPad playing on my HDTV via the VGA dongle. So mirroring is already working to some extent even on the old model.

But the speed of the new model is incredible. And speed is definitely an issue on the first one. So I'm thrilled by that improvement alone. Saturday will be my ten month anniversary since I got my 3G last May 5th. That was long enough with the limitations of last years design. It's definitely long in the tooth. But I am sticking with black. In a dark room the white border could be a distraction reflecting unwanted light from the movie etc.

Not sure about the screen cover though. I'd still rather have a case like I have from Apple on the first one. But I could adapt this case to the iPad 2 by punching a hole for the camera with a paper punch and then cutting a square out of the other corner to make a clear opening for the new enhanced speaker grill. But cutting a hole on the center of the top for the mic is a larger challenge. Maybe I'll buy a second iPad 1 case for my new iPad 2 and then do all the cuts on a new one. The height and width are identical between the two models. So the iPad 2 will fit properly in the Apple iPad case.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #57 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band.

Garage Band really is a true Wow!! app. for the ridiculously insignificant price of $5 (on top of the iPad purchase price, which you would buy anyway for dozens of other good reasons) you get an entire easiest-to-use-ever orchestra of sophisticated musical instrument synthesizers combined with an easiest-to-use-ever 8 track recording studio. i mean, just five years ago if this software existed - which it didn't and couldn't - you would have had to pay $10,000 for it. or much more. the kids and teenagers of the world (of all ages) are going to go bonkers when they get their hands on it.

Jobs btw has to realize he may not have much time left - tho you never know, he might live to 100 with today's medical technology (i'm sure he gets the latest and most advanced there is). so one thing you can be sure of: he is not going to leave anything new and outstanding he can envision and that Apple can execute undone. and it's absolutely undeniable that today Apple can execute better than any consumer technology company in the world, period - it's not even close. and you know that initial development for 2012 hardware and software is already underway, even while they finish the 2011 models, like an A6 chip and so on ... and conceptual development work for 2013 products has already begun too.

I totally agree with you.
post #58 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band.

Point well taken. Jobs looks good and his enthusiasm seems good. Hopefully his condition isn't deteriorating. His appearance put to rest all the rumors, stories and gossip.
Most likely Apple has more surprises to come in 2011. IOS 4.3 is the start.
Lets remember Apple has some of the best talent in the business working for it.
post #59 of 130
Also don't get why 2011 being "Year of iPad 2" means there won't be a premium version of iPad 2 in 2011. \
post #60 of 130
I think it opens up the possibility that there could be an iPad Mini or an iPad Nano because why would you release a 'different' device with as newer model?
It could still happen, the only thing we know if that it won't be called the iPad 3.
post #61 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Damn, I guess I'll have to wait another year to upgrade iPad. iPad 2 is great, but it "ain't all that".

and he's always talking jibberish like you about 'waiting until next year' when Apple will make a newer better model and he never BUYS JACK ** he just talks a lot of it like you... WTF are you expecting

**********

I am getting my next week a WHITE HOT ONE

Edit:Mind your language, and no name calling.
post #62 of 130
The iPad, iPhone, iPod, Macs are annual releases. They are not biannual releases.
post #63 of 130
looking to buy a first generation ipad for 200bucks... i really dont like the design of the new ipad2. I dont need cameras, the fast chip doesn't really interest me... All I want is an apple branded touchscreen beside on 23in hd display and mbp. id like to drag things over and have the option of "having" a touchscreen. anybody willing to sell me theirs?

if this violates any appleinsider rules, please tell me, i will edit the post. although my main point for this post is that ipad 2 isn't "revolutionary", its simply an update to the ipad simply to catch up on the current technology. the speaker is absolutely horrendous. what happened to apple's design?!
post #64 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Good to see this thread totally useless after one post. Its like grade school around here.

Don't worry in some years you will be old enough to join.
post #65 of 130
Of course a year from now and still without an iPad 3 people willuse this as confirmation of the article. It won't be because the value or rationality of the piece is based on the articles content. The offered content proves nothing.

As to fall 2011. I can easily see more Touch devices coming. There is a huge market here for these devices in different sizes and capacities. Also as many have said Applle could offer up a pro model very easily.

The thing with a pro model isn't technology related. What will keep that from happening is Apples desire to keep consummer devices consummer.
post #66 of 130
Quote: "Jobs wouldn't have said that were he planning to introduce another iPad model this summer"

Who are you, god? Now you know what another human being would or would not say?

Stoopid. Just stoopid.
post #67 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhyde@me.com View Post

Naw, it'll be called the iPad 2e. Still the year of the iPad 2...

He meant
"2011 - year of the iPad too"
"2011 - year of the 2 iPads"
post #68 of 130
I believe Apple is going to do something crazy insane with the whole iPad/touchscreen capabilities. I see a Macbook Pro in the future that is thinner than the one just introduced. It operates exactly like an MBP, but when you need an iPad, you simple slide screen down over the keyboard and voila, you have an iPad. Basically, it's a MBP/iPad combination. A MBP with touchscreen capabilities.
post #69 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not this time. Even he says that.

You might be right. We'll see what happens. I'm not bothered either way. I'm upgrading to iPad 2 anyway. I already sold my iPad 1 and will get VAT back on iPad 2 through my business, bringing the grand total of my upgrade to 69.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #70 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

As you say, look at what Apple does, and what they do is launch a new version ONCE a year.

This is the first year a new model iPad came out, it's hardly set in stone that they are bound to an agreement where they must not release an upgraded iPad 2 this year. What they may do is simply call this model - if they do one in September - iPad 2 'something'. And price it at the top end. And then when they do in 2012 release one called iPad 3, they would add in the display of iPad 2 'something' at no additional cost. Nobody knows for sure yet, because if you are to look at what they do September didn't come around yet. You might be right, and probably are, we'll have to wait and see what they do.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #71 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_T View Post

I believe Apple is going to do something crazy insane with the whole iPad/touchscreen capabilities. I see a Macbook Pro in the future that is thinner than the one just introduced. It operates exactly like an MBP, but when you need an iPad, you simple slide screen down over the keyboard and voila, you have an iPad. Basically, it's a MBP/iPad combination. A MBP with touchscreen capabilities.

It's not as easy as you think.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #72 of 130
Apple have probably looked at the specs for the upcoming competitor tablets and said to themselves what do we need to stay ahead of those guys. Answer: keep the price down but improve the speed and performance. Non of the other tablets have a retina display as far as I know. When prices for retina displays and 128Gb flash memory fall over the next few months they can source them for iPad 3 next year.
post #73 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Of course a year from now and still without an iPad 3 people willuse this as confirmation of the article. It won't be because the value or rationality of the piece is based on the articles content. The offered content proves nothing.

As to fall 2011. I can easily see more Touch devices coming. There is a huge market here for these devices in different sizes and capacities. Also as many have said Applle could offer up a pro model very easily.

The thing with a pro model isn't technology related. What will keep that from happening is Apples desire to keep consummer devices consummer.

Consummer? Summer-consumers?

Good point, though. The article above does actually prove nothing.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #74 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

hen prices for retina displays and 128Gb flash memory fall over the next few months they can source them for iPad 3 next year.

I don't think price was the only reason. I was a reason, probably. I'd bet there were a number of reasons. But the main reason was most likely that no factory was ready to manufacture "millions" or iPad-size retina displays.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #75 of 130
I did wonder if they would take this opportunity to switch around the iPhone and iPad annual update schedule so that we get iPhone updates in March and iPad updates in June. Would make the annual iPad update closer to the holiday buying season and I don't imagine many people buy an iPhone for Christmas. I also think the iPad sits better alongside WWDC as there so many more opportunities for app developers given the larger screen size.
post #76 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see a single one of you guys giving even one really good reason why Apple SHOULD come out with a new model in September. All you're doing is saying that you don't see why they couldn't, which is a waste of time. A double negative is not a positive.

To crush the competition, to introduce a high-end/higher-margin "Pro" model (and as Jobs mentioned, only one of the six iPad 2 SKUs is more expensive than the competition), to shift the yearly release cycle closer to the holiday season, etc.
post #77 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_T View Post

I believe Apple is going to do something crazy insane with the whole iPad/touchscreen capabilities. I see a Macbook Pro in the future that is thinner than the one just introduced. It operates exactly like an MBP, but when you need an iPad, you simple slide screen down over the keyboard and voila, you have an iPad. Basically, it's a MBP/iPad combination. A MBP with touchscreen capabilities.

I am pretty sure in some of apples labs they are working on something alike. But as it happened with the 7'' iPad some pieces even of good engineering never see the daylight for various reasons.
So I guess the posters suggesting an iPad 2.5 or a more pro oriented version of the iPad 2, or even the iPad 3 with more or less evolutionary improvements will be the most likely thing to happen. by the end fall 2011.
post #78 of 130
2011 is the year "I thankfully don't have to upgrade any of my devices"...

iPad 1st gen
MacBook Pro mid-2010 (just bought)
iPhone 4

Come on baby take me through 2011!!!
post #79 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't think price was the only reason. I was a reason, probably. I'd bet there were a number of reasons. But the main reason was most likely that no factory was ready to manufacture "millions" or iPad-size retina displays.

iPad 3 March 2012 will have Retina Displays, no doubt. Samsung/? has been given strict orders to "Just get it done. And make 60 million of it!"
post #80 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Bullshit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - look at what Apple does, don't listen to what they say.

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

F*ing brilliant point mate. That's *exactly* how he would say it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"