or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New iPad 2 dock revealed; Apple offers $100 refund to recent iPad buyers

New iPad 2 dock revealed; Apple offers $100 refund to recent iPad buyers

post #1 of 43
Customers who bought a first-generation iPad in the last two weeks can opt to return their device to Apple, or request a $100 refund, now that the iPad 2 has been announced. Also, the company will release a new dock designed to fit the smaller form factor of the iPad 2, though no new keyboard dock has been shown.

As first reported by Electricpig.co.uk, Apple will refund the price difference to anyone who has their original purchase receipt and makes the request in the company's standard 14-day return window. With the iPad 2 announced on Wednesday, that would mean buyers as far back as Wednesday, Feb. 16 would be eligible.

Of course, with the purchase also within the 14-day return window, customers could also opt to return the first-generation iPad entirely. For the same original purchase price, those buyers could wait for the iPad 2 to go on sale on March 11, as the second-generation device has the same six price points as the first iPad.

Though the iPad 2 starts at $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model, like its predecessor, Apple on Wednesday began to clear its inventory of last year's model. With the old iPad now on clearance from Apple, the starting price has dropped by $100, meaning customers can buy the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model for just $399.

Following yesterday's iPad 2 announcement, Apple also updated its official accessories page for the iPad to feature new products designed specifically for the second-generation device. Among them is a new dock made to fit the new, thinner profile of the iPad 2.

"This sleek dock stand is your personal hub for all things iPad," the product description reads. It is not yet available for order. "Get easy access to a port for syncing or charging, and an audio line out port for connecting to powered speakers via an optional audio cable. The iPad 2 Dock also supports other accessories, such as the Apple Digital AV Adapter and the iPad Camera Connection Kit."

Both the iPad 2 dock and the Smart Cover are new products designed for the second-generation device. The company on Wednesday also announced a new HDMI adapter that will allow 1080p output from the iPad 2, but the $39 "Digital AV Adapter" will also support 720p video output on the iPhone 4, fourth-generation iPod touch, and first-generation iPad.

Unchanged accessories from the first iPad include the Camera Connector, SD Card Reader, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple VGA Adapter, iPad 10W USB Power Adapter and more. Unlisted on the official accessories page is a keyboard dock designed to fit the iPad 2.
post #2 of 43
The refund is actually quite generous. Apple's learned from past experience that, even though they are by no means obliged to offer such a refund, it's simply more trouble than it's worth NOT to appease people.

Everyone knows that today's tech wonder is tomorrow's doorstop, yet people still complain when their Great New Thing becomes Old News. Of course, now the people who bought their iPads FIFTEEN days ago will complain mightily. And so it goes.
post #3 of 43
I thought you could return it within 14 days.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #4 of 43
Not many other companies [in the world] would allow for this type of 'return' or 'refund' for products that work as intended, but nonetheless people will rail against Apple calling foul. HOW DARE THEY RELEASE a new iPad 2 after I just bought an iPad 1.

... and the world keeps turning!
post #5 of 43
the first dock sucked so badly I dont know why in the world anyone would ever get this one!

and $100 refund are they kidding?
post #6 of 43
To be fair, not all people follow techmedia that closely. The first widespread firm report i heard was on the BBC last week, when apple sent out the press invites. Good move on Apple thougth.

Anyway. The dock seems to be a lot nicer IMO (althougth i dont spend ages looking at iPAD docks - honest )
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

the first dock sucked so badly I dont know why in the world anyone would ever get this one!

Kidding about what? You can either return your iPad1 entirely and wait for iPad2 in a week, OR if you want to keep the one you've got, you can retroactively get the $100 discount they just started offering yesterday.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought you could return it within 14 days.

Within the first paragraph of the article it states:

Quote:
Customers who bought a first-generation iPad in the last two weeks can opt to return their device to Apple, or request a $100 refund, now that the iPad 2 has been announced.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Within the first paragraph of the article it states:

i think his point is that the option to return within 14 days is already standard, they're not doing anyone any extra favors. The $100 rebate isn't really much of a favor either, since I'm already entitled to return my $499 ipad then I can just buy another one for the new $399 price. The point of this whole thing is to simply clarify the options already available to customers.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Have any reason to say that beyond trolling or...?

Quote:

No. Kidding would be taking anything you say seriously.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #11 of 43
The biggest reason I will be getting iPad 2 is for the magnetic cover. Is an amazing idea.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #12 of 43
From a purely objective standpoint, I have never seen better customer service than through Apple.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

i think his point is that the option to return within 14 days is already standard, they're not doing anyone any extra favors. The $100 rebate isn't really much of a favor either, since I'm already entitled to return my $499 ipad then I can just buy another one for the new $399 price. The point of this whole thing is to simply clarify the options already available to customers.

Minus a restocking fee if you opened your iPad and plus the hassle. Also, engraved iPads can't be returned at all.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Minus a restocking fee if you opened your iPad and plus the hassle. Also, engraved iPads can't be returned at all.

No restocking fee on the return, that's kind of the point, you could always return anything within 14 days, this is no restocking fee return, or 100 back, personally I'd just wait return it for the new one.
post #15 of 43
I realize it wouldn't be part of the money making machine, but why not put the HDMI output, SD card reader (and why not CF, too), audio ports, etc., all on the docking connector. I guess there is an opportunity for a third-party supplier here.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhyde@me.com View Post

I realize it wouldn't be part of the money making machine, but why not put the HDMI output, SD card reader (and why not CF, too), audio ports, etc., all on the docking connector. I guess there is an opportunity for a third-party supplier here.

It would be huge?
post #17 of 43
Quote:

This is very true. It's basically a retroactive cost reduction to move inventory. If you got it engraved, it's basically weird for anyone else. I think Apple is being pretty darn awesome about this.
post #18 of 43
Does anyone know whether or not the "mirror display" on a TV screen is only for iPad 2, or whether it will work on the current iPad.

With this functionality, there is absolutely no need to have both Apple TV and an iPad.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The biggest reason I will be getting iPad 2 is for the magnetic cover. Is an amazing idea.

Seriously?
post #20 of 43
Anybody want to buy an iPad 1 keyboard doc? It's frustrating enough to replace your iPad, but to have to replace your peripherals as well, that's just getting on my nerves.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhyde@me.com View Post

Asked myself the same question. Maybe it's because the dock connector can only support one function at a time. The fact that you can only charge and not sync the iPad via the HDMI adapter's dock connector is a further indication.

So it can either act USB host, SD Card reader or video-out at any one time.

Is the new iPad dock compatible with the old one and vice versa?
post #22 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Seriously?

While I wouldn't buy an iPad just for the cover, I think the new magnetic cover, which supposedly always fits perfectly due to the magnets, turns the iPad on and shuts it off, bends to become a stand and covers only the front so the elegance of the iPad physical design still stands out (although I thought one of the reasons to get a traditional case was to protect the back of the unit if it's dropped) demonstrates once again how much Apple pays attention to all the details way beyond what anyone else does. It's all those little details that keeps Apple ahead of everyone else (IMO). That's why when people talk only about the processor or memory or hard disk drives or flash drives or whatever, they completely miss the point.
post #23 of 43
I talked to two different people at Apple. One told me the refund was only for resellers and the other didn't know what I was talking about and said neither did her supervisor. So...unfortunately, this is false information.
post #24 of 43
I actually really wanted a keyboard dock, for the stability (less tippable) as well as the simplicity. Would have made a great sofa-side Internet station! But I never got an iPad 1, and now my iPad 2 looks like it won’t have the option.

In which case, my sofa-station will need the regular dock PLUS a wireless keyboard. (Less stable, no special iPad keys, more batteries... and a lot more cost.)

I think I’ll keep an eye open for third-party keyboard docks (or cases)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty826 View Post

I talked to two different people at Apple. One told me the refund was only for resellers and the other didn't know what I was talking about and said neither did her supervisor. So...unfortunately, this is false information.

Weird! But there’s always a chance of getting wacky info (or a wacky person) when talking to any company. Two people? Unlikely, but they seem to not have understood you. Try again and talk to someone else After all, you could always just return the old and buy again for $100 off. Same outcome, more hassle for all. (I’ll assume your story is not fiction.)
post #25 of 43
Quote:

Anybody want to buy an iPad 1 keyboard doc? It's frustrating enough to replace your iPad, but to have to replace your peripherals as well, that's just getting on my nerves.

Well if it's that "frustrating" then don't upgrade. No one is forcing you to do it. As cool as the iPad 2 is, I'm sticking with my original iPad for another year. I don't think the faster processor will make that much difference in my daily use, I'll never use the cameras and I'll get most of the rest of the functionality with iOS 4.3 (orientation lock, iMovie, GarageBand, etc.).

You could also buy the iPad 2 and NOT get a dock. Something tells me the original Dock will work just fine with the iPad 2. It just won't be as snug a fit.

Food for thought.
post #26 of 43
Quote:

Or the people you spoke to weren't well informed.
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Except that there is no "new $399 price."

How about we just stick with "This is a smart, consumer friendly move by Apple; they've learned from past experience that tech buyers need a little coddling when they make a purchase days before a new version comes out."
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Or the people you spoke to weren't well informed.

Did you actually talk to someone and get the refund yourself?
post #29 of 43
Quote:

Did you actually talk to someone and get the refund yourself?

Here’s what you need when you talk to them next:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im....html#topic-17

This isn’t a new policy, it’s always been Apple policy for any price drops. Just make sure you get in before the 14-day deadline!

(Also, just to note, that is US-specific page.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Except that there is no "new $399 price."

How about we just stick with "This is a smart, consumer friendly move by Apple; they've learned from past experience that tech buyers need a little coddling when they make a purchase days before a new version comes out."

Yes, there currently is a new $399 price: the remaining iPad 1 models are on clearance from Apple, all for $100 less than before. (This has happened many times with outgoing Apple models.)

And that’s not the refurb price, either—which is even lower: refurb iPad 1’s start at $349. (And refurbs probably have some price protection too, I suppose.)

See:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...clearance/ipad
Those are new, not refurb units, which people bought for $100 more recently. So now they can get the difference back.

(I do think Apple should give you more than 14 days to ASK for the rebate, even if the window for the price drop itself remains 14 days.)
post #30 of 43
Quote:

As usual Apple lead in even the simplest concepts let alone the complex ones ... and Android tablet makes furiously working on this right now I bet!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #31 of 43
Quote:

You obviously know really smart people and obviously they are correct and everyone else is wrong ... Oh wait a minute ...
post #32 of 43
Guess the keyboard dock wasn't a hot item for iPads. Just as well. They'll make a lot more on selling docks and keyboards.

Smart Covers are amazing. I don't think I'd get out of the store with a new iPad and not grab a black leather smart cover, and the new av adapter.
post #33 of 43
Quote:

Seriously?

Upset that someone can spend *their* money in a way you don't approve?
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Does anyone know whether or not the "mirror display" on a TV screen is only for iPad 2, or whether it will work on the current iPad.

With this functionality, there is absolutely no need to have both Apple TV and an iPad.

It works with iPhone 4, latest iPod Touch, and iPad 1 in 720p. IPad 2 does 1080p.

The downside of the functionality relative to Apple TV is that it needs a cord, and ties up the iPad and TV for 1 purpose. We have 2 iPads and Apple TV and the iPads are in high demand. For how we mostly use TV (kids), we'd rather not tie up an iPad and the TV at same time.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancasa View Post

It works with iPhone 4, latest iPod Touch, and iPad 1 in 720p. IPad 2 does 1080p.

The downside of the functionality relative to Apple TV is that it needs a cord, and ties up the iPad and TV for 1 purpose. We have 2 iPads and Apple TV and the iPads are in high demand. For how we mostly use TV (kids), we'd rather not tie up an iPad and the TV at same time.

Not from what I recall. Just go to the ipad page. Mirroring is ipad 2 only. Video out is as you described.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #36 of 43
Quote:

Apple will say it's because consumers love to "personalise their products" but i believe the real reason why apple offers free engraving is to reduce returns and sales on the second hand market.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Uh, no, sorry. You could "get away with" having just an iPad 2 and tethering to your TV (how about just tie it to the wall for permanent placement while you're at it).

But that has nothing to do with needing or not needing an AppleTV. Airplay is a tiny perk of everything that is AppleTV.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Apple will say it's because consumers love to "personalise their products" but i believe the real reason why apple offers free engraving is to reduce returns and sales on the second hand market.

From retailer's view, that's a good strategy I say. Just like body tattoo, you have to think long and hard on what you want to engrave the iDevices with. Rather than engrave (or tattooing in case of of your body parts) your gurlfriend's name, chose a more generic ones to minimise loss! Foster's Beer like it cool
post #39 of 43
Does Apple also say "Thanks, suckers!" when you get your hundred bucks for buying an instantly dated product a couple of weeks ago?
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Does Apple also say "Thanks, suckers!" when you get your hundred bucks for buying an instantly dated product a couple of weeks ago?

If you didn't know or have anyone to tell you that the iPad 2 was due out soon then you probably won't give a crap anyway and will thank them for the $100.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • New iPad 2 dock revealed; Apple offers $100 refund to recent iPad buyers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New iPad 2 dock revealed; Apple offers $100 refund to recent iPad buyers