or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Conan O’Brien spoofs Apple iPad 2 event as "a little bit cocky"

Conan O’Brien spoofs Apple iPad 2 event as "a little bit cocky" - Page 3

post #81 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I thought it was frakking funny as hell. And true too.

Of course you did.

But then again, you've seen "Disaster Movie" 10 times in the theater and think that that one is also "funny as hell" --and true too.
post #82 of 145
Wow. I didn't realize this forum was so full of jaded hipsters. The video made me LOLLLL a lot!
But then, I have a very unsophisticated, juvenile sense of humor, so whatev's.

UPDATE:
Just watched it again. And LOL'd again.

I can imagine the Apple folks got a big kick out of it.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #83 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I didn't find it funny. But I couldn't stop laughing when watching this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvG0f...layer_embedded

Really? Snore. To each his/her own, I guess. \
post #84 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

... Stupid fantasy macho bullshit: always OK! Talk of quality and precision and passion: probably gay!

Do you mean that quality and passion are homosexual? That doesn't seem to make any logical sense. Or were you just being homophobic by repeating that childish jibe? Even as a knowing comment?

And if you want to see classy Apple satire, then look to the Onion of course:

http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-...with-no,14299/
post #85 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Yeah, i too am getting really, really tired of listening to Jonathan Ive regurgitate the same old stuff about each new product. Good grief, this guy is supposedly the creative genius behind Apple's product designs. How is it he lacks the ability to say anything new about any product? He said nearly the exact same thing when Apple came out with the first flatscreen (lampshade) iMac, way back when, and every product ever since. The truth is, i laughed during the real iPad 2 film when Ive came on and was verbatim predictable. Ive invites satire anymore.

I suspect the true design creatives work for Ive; it isn't Ive himself.

Hmmm... I disagree. I think the problem is not that Jony doesn't have creative design chops; it's that he's too close to his designs to be very articulate about them. His gift is industrial design, not marketing.

To put this another way, think about something you've done recently that you're incredibly proud of and deeply passionate about. It's the best thing since the invention of the electric breadknife. Then think of all the Philistines out there who don't understand just how great your project is, how genius, unbelievably fantabulous! You will likely get to the point where words simply become superfluous, because the awesomeness of your project transcends your ability to describe it. So you're reduced to saying stuff that just sounds pretentious and redundant to the unwashed masses. Come on. We've all been there.
post #86 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Do you mean that quality and passion are homosexual? That doesn't seem to make any logical sense. Or were you just being homophobic by repeating that childish jibe? Even as a knowing comment?

And if you want to see classy Apple satire, then look to the Onion of course:

http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-...with-no,14299/

Probably would have been better if you had quoted the entire paragraph from which you excerpted:
Quote:
I just saw a Xoom ad that depicted a guy picking up a Xoom in portentous urban night scape which transformed him into the captain of a starship, or something. Deeply puerile, in other words, just like most of the Android advertising I've seen. But I never hear a word about it-- possibly because it adheres to national norms of kind of stupid fantasy macho bullshit. Stupid fantasy macho bullshit: always OK! Talk of quality and precision and passion: probably gay!

Emphasis mine

It's pretty clear to me from this that he's (I'm gonna assume that addabox is a dude) criticizing the homophobia (and I would add sexism) present in the "national norms", which basically say that "stupid fantasy macho bullshit" is always okay, while talk of "quality and passion and precision" is probably gay. Againhe's suggesting that this is the prevailing attitude, which he is criticizing, not agreeing with.

A TIP: if someone says something in a forum that irks you, it's best to take a breath, and then re-read it, to see if you possibly missed something the first time around. It's also good to keep in mind that, because the use of actual words makes up a very small fraction of communication (experts disagree on the actual percentage)the rest taken up by body language, expression, quirks, gestures, idiosyncrasiesa large portion of the message is lost in the medium, i.e., teh internets.
post #87 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Not that I would want to watch something as insensitive and offensive as the referenced video...

Offensive to your religion, huh? Do you have an altar with a picture of Steve on it?
post #88 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Offensive to your religion, huh? Do you have an altar with a picture of Steve on it?

I do... is there something wrong with that?!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #89 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

I've looked it up.

Satire is also supposed to be funny.

This is... whatever...

It wouldn't be satire if everyone thought it was funny.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #90 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

You think Jay Leno kicked Conan out because Conan sucked? Wow, are you ever mis informed.

No, the network kicked Conan out because he was not capturing the share that Leno did. Suckiness is in the eye of the beholder.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #91 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

No, the network kicked Conan out because he was not capturing the share that Leno did. Suckiness is in the eye of the beholder.

This is how I understood it went down: Stupid Jay Leno says "I'm retiring" and turning over the show to Conan. He then does a stupid 180 and comes out with his own show. His show is the same rehashed crap he always did and fails to work. So the network says let's give him back his old slot and that will solve *his* crappy ratings.

Conan's humor may have not worked for some or perhaps a lot, but Jay Leno should have just quit like he said he would. I don't watch either since I find the daily show/colbert report to be better, and the last airing of TDS this Thur is a great example of why.
post #92 of 145
Quote:

Conan's humor may have not worked for some or perhaps a lot, but Jay Leno should have just quit like he said he would. I don't watch either since I find the daily show/colbert report to be better, and the last airing of TDS this Thur is a great example of why.

Almost any stand up comedian has only a brief window in time where their humor is true genius. Unfortunately all of the aforementioned are way past that part of their career.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #93 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wasn't the huge CPU drain a problem fixed last year? I don't see that kind of drain on my first gen Mac Pro since updating the Flash several months ago, maybe last summer. It's probably more than it should be, but also far from that bad. I'd check if Apple is shipping an outdated flash player.

When you install the free ClickToFlash on your Macs it will block all flash from loading yet allow you to load it on individual pages as necessary while keeping out all those pesky Flash Ads etc that bog down Safari's performance.

I find the joke Ad most objectionable when they say it's a little bit faster when it is in fact radically faster. Anyone who keeps their first iPad instead of selling it to buy the new one for the difference is really hurting themselves. I find the new iPad 2 a major leap in performance over the original. The first has been great and better than none for these past 10 months. But I can't wait to get the new one for a giant leap in capability.

I find the satiric premise of the fake ad to be fundamentally flawed in that it misstates all the facts about the new iPad 2 so flagrantly as to be a big outrageous lie rather than satire. I'm sure word of mouth will correct the false impressions left by it. And there are plenty of iPad evangelists in the wild spreading the truth so sales won't be harmed. I'm sure Apple's sales will only be limited by their ability to make them. Willing to bet demand will exceed supply all year long.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #94 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The further way they get the more money they make each year.

Actually it is an inverse function. The more money they make the less funny they become.

post #95 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Comedian Conan OBrien presented a parody of Apple's iPad 2 event video on his show last night, introducing it by saying, "I personally think that the people at Apple are starting to get a little bit cocky."

The clip took aim at Apple's minimalistic product videos that portray the company's products against blank backgrounds while narrators speak effusively about great their new features are.

The spoof (below), ironically doesn't play on the iPad because TBS distributes its videos using a Flash applet. OBrien has successfully leveraged the Internet, particularly Twitter and Facebook, to reach his fan base after leaving his old network in a dispute and moving to TBS.

OBrien's staff of actors posed as Apple executives who poked at the new iPad 2 as being "the culmination of literally two to three meetings. It's truly incredible how little we did," specifically skewering the new model as "adding two holes with cheap cameras in them" and predicting that "people would just go nuts" for the model.

Other presenters lobbed jokes aimed at Steve Jobs' signature black turtleneck and the variety of "non specific ethnic accents" of various executives that speak in Apple videos.

The video ends with the tagline: "iPad 2. You'll buy it no matter what we say."

Flash and Xoom

Few new consumer electronic devices are well recognized enough to serve as parody material, but Apple's iPods, iPhone and iPad have been regularly spoofed by late night comics and in shows such as "Saturday Night Live," providing millions of dollars worth of free advertisement for Apple.

Somewhat ironically, viewers report that the clip is being shown with ads that include paid spots for Motorola's Xoom tablet, which it hopes will compete with iPad 2 this year. Motorola's Flash-based Xoom ads by Verizon have also entered paid circulation on AppleInsider, prompting at least one reader to complain that the ads are sapping the performance of his quad processor machine.

Flash playback is a promoted feature of both Motorola's Xoom and Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb platform, although Adobe is still working out the kinks to get Flash Player delivered for tablets nearly a year after it began its campaign attempting to badger Apple into supporting its web browser plugin on the iPad.
post #96 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Probably would have been better if you had quoted the entire paragraph from which you excerpted:
Emphasis mine

It's pretty clear to me from this that he's (I'm gonna assume that addabox is a dude) criticizing the homophobia (and I would add sexism) present in the "national norms", which basically say that "stupid fantasy macho bullshit" is always okay, while talk of "quality and passion and precision" is probably gay. Again—he's suggesting that this is the prevailing attitude, which he is criticizing, not agreeing with.

A TIP: if someone says something in a forum that irks you, it's best to take a breath, and then re-read it, to see if you possibly missed something the first time around. It's also good to keep in mind that, because the use of actual words makes up a very small fraction of communication (experts disagree on the actual percentage)—the rest taken up by body language, expression, quirks, gestures, idiosyncrasies—a large portion of the message is lost in the medium, i.e., teh internets.

Yes, that, thank you. I often remark on what I perceive as the links between hatred for Apple and macho posturing-- a link that Android advertising is clearly intent on exploiting.

"Apple is gay" isn't a concept I made up or object to because I find gayness reprehensible, I object to it because that idea arises out of homophobic and misogynistic ideas about what might be the proper place of style, esthetics, meticulousness, enthusiasm, passion and perfectionism in one's life. Or perhaps just a bit of detachment from punching things, blowing things up, and talking as low in my chest as possible-- all of which are apparently assets of Android handsets.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #97 of 145
Quote:

Comedian Conan OBrien presented a parody of Apple's iPad 2 event video on his show last night, introducing it by saying, "I personally think that the people at Apple are starting to get a little bit cocky."

I guess it's understandable they'd be a bit cocky when they sell 15 million units in year 1 for a new device category. The Conan video was ok but a bit predictable, like it's all been done before.

Quote:

Adobe is still working out the kinks to get Flash Player delivered for tablets nearly a year after it began its campaign attempting to badger Apple into supporting its web browser plugin on the iPad

I think they should stop pursuing it as a plugin and start making it an app. When a Flash movie shows up, you could just tap-hold then 'open in Flash Player'. That way you can make sure it's not running.
post #98 of 145
Quote:

This is how I understood it went down: Stupid Jay Leno says "I'm retiring" and turning over the show to Conan. He then does a stupid 180 and comes out with his own show. His show is the same rehashed crap he always did and fails to work. So the network says let's give him back his old slot and that will solve *his* crappy ratings.

That's one interpretation of how and why it went down. You may be right, or not. Neither of us were in the room.

But at least we agree on the second part of your post--I like TDS better than Leno.
post #99 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Almost any stand up comedian has only a brief window in time where their humor is true genius. Unfortunately all of the aforementioned are way past that part of their career.

I don't think there's any "rule" to the "durability" or longevity of a comedian. Some last some don't. Some rise up quickly, shine brightly, and disappearor self-destruct. Others simmer for a while before they "make it". Some last a long, long time. Some outstay their welcome.

I've loved Conan from day oneback when I was in collegeand feel that he's only gotten better with time. But I think that's mostly because he resonates with my juvenile sense of humor. I expect that there are many in this forum who strongly disagree with me, and I'm cool with that.
post #100 of 145
Conan should do a spoof of this forum.
post #101 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Is this really funny to millions of Americans? There's so much to parody about Apple, and this is the best they can do? It's pathetic. Good satire takes truths about something and presents them humorously. Does anyone really think the iPad 2 represents a minimal amount of effort? Ask Samsung if 'squashing it a bit' is such a small task. Steve Jobs never appears in the product videos either. It's just devoid of wit.

Well, to each his own I guess. I found it pretty funny. Not sure if "millions of Americans" did. I guess you have to rely on Conan O'Brien's skills and judgement as a professional comedian.

And yes, I thought the iPad 2 was underwhelming. I have the iPad and love it. I was expecting a lot more with the iPad2 but Apple did just enough to get them through the year. None of the items on MacWorld's wish list made it into iPad 2 so I am not alone. The two cameras suck big time, still no extra drive space (128Gb anyone?) and you are STILL tethered to iTunes, i.e. no way without WiFi to add content when you are somewhere for the weekend with poor or no WiFi.

It's still way ahead of the competition but we are now measuring Apple by their own previous standards and this was a bit of a disappointment considering what they could of done. We are now in the territory of Steve Job's stubborn nature to not respond to user feedback. This could be his and Apple's Achilles heel.
post #102 of 145
Quote:

Yes, that, thank you. I often remark on what I perceive as the links between hatred for Apple and macho posturing-- a link that Android advertising is clearly intent on exploiting.

"Apple is gay" isn't a concept I made up or object to because I find gayness reprehensible, I object to it because that idea arises out of homophobic and misogynistic ideas about what might be the proper place of style, esthetics, meticulousness, enthusiasm, passion and perfectionism in one's life. Or perhaps just a bit of detachment from punching things, blowing things up, and talking as low in my chest as possible-- all of which are apparently assets of Android handsets.

Speaking of the manliness of Android phones, there's this ad from India.
post #103 of 145
Quote:

Hmm.... the video playing caused 96mB of usage and 20% CPU. With the adblock gone off of ai's main page and the video playing in another tab I get 120mB of usage and up to 70% of the CPU, and that is in unix terms so it never went over one core.

Perhaps that person should get a PC or something.

Congratulations, you may be beginning to understand an important part of Apple's animosity toward Flash and Adobe's handling of the product. While Adobe started as an important partner with Apple back in the 80's, things changed as the bean counters took over at Adobe and Apple grew weaker as a force in the market. Adobe did not deem the Mac to be important enough to invest enough engineering resources to make Flash work well with Mac OS. So Flash on the Mac is pathetic compared to Flash on Windows. Adobe also put up a lot of resistance to updating its products to run native on OS X.

As a result, Adobe's assurances that a good user experience would be provided for mobile Flash on Apple's mobile devices was not credible to Apple management. There are others factors but Adobe's past actions speak loud and clear.
post #104 of 145
Quote:

Lordy. I guess I should be grateful that US ads aren't quite that overt, although they're headed that way.

I understand why advertisers would try to craft pitches towards adolescent males-- they're deeply insecure/half crazy about matters sexual, not terribly well informed, easily manipulated (ask adolescent girls), and craving a sense of control that their actual mastery of the world has not afforded them. Suggesting that a product makes you come off as suave, self-possessed and irresistible is effective for the demographic, I guess.

Trouble is a steady diet of same creates an adolescent culture, with a lot of encouragement for men to celebrate being complete dickwads and then high five each other because it's so epic. It can be intermittently funny, but it has pretty dire consequences, which one might note if one were to just causally look around.

Which is why I get so bemused when I hear people getting irked by Apple's advertising, which is mild and inoffensive to the point of being bland. Against the steady onslaught of bellowing pickup trucks that make the competition wet their pants, CE devices that make you a murderous, omniscient cyborg, personal grooming products that render women into helpless sex toys, etc., Apple's stuff is like a day at the library.

I actually think that's the problem. The adolescent mindset that we've cultivated so assiduously is inherently a position of weakness, in that it's biologically transitional and rooted in an underdeveloped, relatively powerless stance. Throw in an intense desire for/fear of women, and you get a mindset itching to identify and attack exterior "weakness" (femininity, considered choices, pretty much anything short of bumping chests and fist pumping) as a means for establishing identity and autonomy.

I think its a horrible outgrowth of late capitalism. A hormonally befuddled boy, of whatever age, is the perfect marketing demographic, so a great deal of money has been spent to normalize same as "how guys are."
post #105 of 145
Quote:

I learn something new every day. In India if a cashier lacks correct change they give you wrapped candies or condoms instead. I'll leave it to others to extend the potential impact (and jokes) of such a practice if extended to big business.

Oh what the hell: "Sorry Prasad, cash flow is a little slow this quarter so I'm sending several Russian hookers to cover the difference between our shipment of Redwood from California and your shipment of cotton sport shirts from Madras."
post #106 of 145
Quote:

Hmm.... the video playing caused 96mB of usage and 20% CPU. With the adblock gone off of ai's main page and the video playing in another tab I get 120mB of usage and up to 70% of the CPU, and that is in unix terms so it never went over one core.

Perhaps that person should get a PC or something.

The problem is that Adobe is lazy. Period.
post #107 of 145
Quote:

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, Leno also bombed his ratings during the whole debacle. It's not either-or, they both did poorly in their new slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

When you install the free ClickToFlash on your Macs it will block all flash from loading yet allow you to load it on individual pages as necessary while keeping out all those pesky Flash Ads etc that bog down Safari's performance.

I agree.

Quote:
I find the joke Ad most objectionable when they say it's a little bit faster when it is in fact radically faster. Anyone who keeps their first iPad instead of selling it to buy the new one for the difference is really hurting themselves. I find the new iPad 2 a major leap in performance over the original. The first has been great and better than none for these past 10 months. But I can't wait to get the new one for a giant leap in capability.

That reads like maybe you've tried one already. Are there demo units available to try? It's not that I disbelieve Apple, I'm sure it's a lot more powerful, there aren't a lot of times that I thought the iPad CPU was too slow for my needs. I want to try it for myself to see how much it would speed up my particular uses. For me, the biggest way to do that is to not have Safari reload site pages when I switch between tabs, which I don't think is a CPU power issue.
post #108 of 145
I didn't see this show, nor would I. Nor would I find any of his shows entertaining.
He is a 5th rate presenter, and a nobody, no talent.
And i bet he loved android, so is using his show as a vehicle to criticise Apple.
Will they ever stop ?
post #109 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I didn't see this show, nor would I. Nor would I find any of his shows entertaining.
He is a 5th rate presenter, and a nobody, no talent.
And i bet he loved android, so is using his show as a vehicle to criticise Apple.
Will they ever stop ?

I think that the ipad NEEDS to be criticized.

I love a lot of other Apple products (just bought a new MBP 15) but I personally believe the ipad was one of the worst products they've built. It has terrible resolution, Steve Jobs' ego is preventing Flash from being placed on it, it makes for a terrible e-reader, the entire ipad experience just feels bland and boring. It's not just the ipad, I think that almost all tablets are the same. I think that the honeycomb OS is better designed for touch only tablets but still doesn't deliver anything new to the market.

At least the ipad has good battery life and could potentially be used as an education tool.

Other than that, it's a gimped piece of technology when you could buy a 10" netbook or MBA with a fully featured OS

I think tablets will go the out the same way PDAs did. Laptops will take their touch features and there won't be any point to use them anymore

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #110 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I think that the ipad NEEDS to be criticized.

I love a lot of other Apple products (just bought a new MBP 15) but I personally believe the ipad was one of the worst products they've built. It has terrible resolution, Steve Jobs' ego is preventing Flash from being placed on it, it makes for a terrible e-reader, the entire ipad experience just feels bland and boring. It's not just the ipad, I think that almost all tablets are the same. I think that the honeycomb OS is better designed for touch only tablets but still doesn't deliver anything new to the market.

At least the ipad has good battery life and could potentially be used as an education tool.

Other than that, it's a gimped piece of technology when you could buy a 10" netbook or MBA with a fully featured OS

I think tablets will go the out the same way PDAs did. Laptops will take their touch features and there won't be any point to use them anymore

OK. Now that you've demonstrated that you know nothing about technology or the computer market, feel free to step aside and let people who understand technology discuss it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #111 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OK. Now that you've demonstrated that you know nothing about technology or the computer market, feel free to step aside and let people who understand technology discuss it.

I have a masters in IS and work with UNIX/Oracle/Apache web servers at a college campus with ~8000 students tearing them up each day. Nice try.

post #112 of 145
Quote:

I have a masters in IS and work with UNIX/Oracle/Apache web servers at a college campus with ~8000 students tearing them up each day. Nice try.

Well, at least this explains why you're so stuck in the past.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #113 of 145
Quote:

Yup... and we'll all go back to using rotary dial phones...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #114 of 145
I love Conan and think he by far the best late night host by a long shot. I thought the clip was pretty funny. I still don't think Conan knows how to work a computer tho. lol Jimmy Fallon is a tech geek but then again he isn't funny.
post #115 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yup... and we'll all go back to using rotary dial phones...

You have some brain damage if that's what you got from my post.

Sorry you're to get you all butthurt because you bought an ipad. There's just not enough to them to make them of any use when you can have a laptop.

post #116 of 145
Quote:

You have some brain damage if that's what you got from my post.

Sorry you're to get you all butthurt because you bought an ipad. There's just not enough to them to make them of any use when you can have a laptop.

brain damage butthurt

You're hilarious!!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #117 of 145
As Apple cultists, it is fun to laugh at ourselves, and this video does the job right!
post #118 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That reads like maybe you've tried one already. Are there demo units available to try? It's not that I disbelieve Apple, I'm sure it's a lot more powerful, there aren't a lot of times that I thought the iPad CPU was too slow for my needs. I want to try it for myself to see how much it would speed up my particular uses. For me, the biggest way to do that is to not have Safari reload site pages when I switch between tabs, which I don't think is a CPU power issue.

Downloaded and watched Steve's presentation from the Apple Keynotes podcast in full. Everyone should do this to fully understand how much better it is. Read more than one report from journalists who had hands on time with one afterwards. The 1GHz Dual Core 512 MB DDR2 system ram and 9x graphics processor will radically improve your Safari experience although you would do well to use alternative browsers that are faster like Dual Browser Free, Atomic Web, YingYang Free, Terra, RiNgO Lite among others anyway.

In any event, I think everyone among first year adopters should sell their first iPad and buy the new one for the difference. Or give the original to a relative who should also sell the gift and buy the new one for the difference. The sooner the originals trickle down to the poorest of the poor the better. Only drawback is you need a laptop or desktop computer to upgrade and manage iPads' contents. So folks are going to have to share their computers with the less fortunate to help them keep their iPads current. \

post #119 of 145
Quote:

Lordy. I guess I should be grateful that US ads aren't quite that overt, although they're headed that way.

I understand why advertisers would try to craft pitches towards adolescent males-- they're deeply insecure/half crazy about matters sexual, not terribly well informed, easily manipulated (ask adolescent girls), and craving a sense of control that their actual mastery of the world has not afforded them. Suggesting that a product makes you come off as suave, self-possessed and irresistible is effective for the demographic, I guess.

Trouble is a steady diet of same creates an adolescent culture, with a lot of encouragement for men to celebrate being complete dickwads and then high five each other because it's so epic. It can be intermittently funny, but it has pretty dire consequences, which one might note if one were to just causally look around.

Which is why I get so bemused when I hear people getting irked by Apple's advertising, which is mild and inoffensive to the point of being bland. Against the steady onslaught of bellowing pickup trucks that make the competition wet their pants, CE devices that make you a murderous, omniscient cyborg, personal grooming products that render women into helpless sex toys, etc., Apple's stuff is like a day at the library.

I actually think that's the problem. The adolescent mindset that we've cultivated so assiduously is inherently a position of weakness, in that it's biologically transitional and rooted in an underdeveloped, relatively powerless stance. Throw in an intense desire for/fear of women, and you get a mindset itching to identify and attack exterior "weakness" (femininity, considered choices, pretty much anything short of bumping chests and fist pumping) as a means for establishing identity and autonomy.

I think its a horrible outgrowth of late capitalism. A hormonally befuddled boy, of whatever age, is the perfect marketing demographic, so a great deal of money has been spent to normalize same as "how guys are."

Geez, man. You could teach a class called "Gender and Culture". Filled, of course, with 30 penis-hating feminists and 2 "sissy boys/girly men". <joke!!>

To put your, um, "treatise" another way:
Apple ads: "We think are products are pretty awesome, and we think you will too." (yawn. boring!)
Competitor ads: "Other products are made by girly men for girly men, whereas if you buy our products, you will be a super hero and will have SEX with many women!" (finally, something that will make me into a REAL MAN!!!)
post #120 of 145
Quote:

I learn something new every day. In India if a cashier lacks correct change they give you wrapped candies or condoms instead. I'll leave it to others to extend the potential impact (and jokes) of such a practice if extended to big business.

Oh what the hell: "Sorry Prasad, cash flow is a little slow this quarter so I'm sending several Russian hookers to cover the difference between our shipment of Redwood from California and your shipment of cotton sport shirts from Madras."

Dammit. I live in India, so I should be offended and horrified, but you made me LOLz.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Conan O’Brien spoofs Apple iPad 2 event as "a little bit cocky"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Conan O’Brien spoofs Apple iPad 2 event as "a little bit cocky"