or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Macbook Pro will not boot from instal disk

Macbook Pro will not boot from instal disk

post #1 of 6
Hello,

Firstly, my computer started having a frequent need to Repair Permissions so I decided to do a reinstall. When I put the install disk (10.6.6) in the Superdrive and rebooted with C pressed I got a flashing circle with a line through it similar to the international do not enter or nought, followed by a folder? followed by an apple sign that is stable and a grey screen with no further activity. The superdrive then stops.

When I hook up an external DVD drive to the firewire and attempt to start the computer this way the exact same thing happens. Drive Genius also behaved the same way.
I was unable to boot form any of the disks.

Thank you.

Macbook Pro Mid-2010
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illebrosemo View Post

yes, agree

I am glad you agree but to what?
Does anyone have any suggerstions as to what is going on?
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPoole View Post

I am glad you agree but to what?
Does anyone have any suggerstions as to what is going on?

He's a spambot. Report him.

As to your problem, is the install disc the one that came with the machine or a standalone Snow Leopard disc?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He's a spambot. Report him.

As to your problem, is the install disc the one that came with the machine or a standalone Snow Leopard disc?

How do I report him???
Also back the question, I am using the stand alone Snow Leopard 10.6.6.
Will try the Original disk
post #5 of 6
Received disks from Applecare. Booted right uo!

The 10.6.6 Snow Leopard disks lack the proper Macbook drivers

THANK YOU!!!
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPoole View Post

Hello,

Firstly, my computer started having a frequent need to Repair Permissions so I decided to do a reinstall. When I put the install disk (10.6.6) in the Superdrive and rebooted with C pressed I got a flashing circle with a line through it similar to the international do not enter or nought, followed by a folder? followed by an apple sign that is stable and a grey screen with no further activity. The superdrive then stops.

When I hook up an external DVD drive to the firewire and attempt to start the computer this way the exact same thing happens. Drive Genius also behaved the same way.
I was unable to boot form any of the disks.

Thank you.

Macbook Pro Mid-2010

Because of the fan, some air always is coming through the dvd, and behind that is a dust problem.

My suggestion is to run a DVD cleaning disk and then try to "start" through the DVD disk.

Dust in DVD reader/writer is a common problem on all Mac Book Pro and the normal symptom is that the reader only can read a CD - not a DVD

Hope my advice get you further
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Macbook Pro will not boot from instal disk