or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
AT&T revealed that it will continue to honor unlimited month-to-month 3G data plans for grandfathered customers when the iPad 2 launches on Friday. Also, Samsung has said it will not delay its Galaxy Tab 10.1, despite comments that the company would revise its design after seeing the iPad 2.

AT&T data plans

AT&T has confirmed that grandfathered unlimited data plans will continue to be offered on the iPad 2. AT&T began offering iPad customers contract-free unlimited data plans for $30 per month when the device launched last year.

New customers can no longer buy an unlimited plan, as AT&T began capping plans at 2GB of data last June. New iPad customers can get 2GB for $25 per month, or 200MB for $15 per month.

The iPad 2 launched this Friday at 5 p.m., and will be available at both AT&T and Verizon stores, as well as Apple retail locations and others. AT&T's chief competitor, Verizon, offers monthly iPad data plans of $20 for 1GB, $35 for 3GB, $50 for 5GB and $80 for 10GB.

AT&T last week added a postpaid data option for iPad users last week. This Friday also marks the release of iOS 4.3 for the iPhone 4, which will enable the Personal Hotspot feature for AT&T customers, allowing tethering of a 3G data connection over Wi-Fi for an additional $20 per month.



Samsung says Galaxy Tab 10.1 isn't delayed

Samsung has said that it will not delay its forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1, according to Yonhap News Agency. The company made a statement in response to comments from a company executive, who said that the company was looking to improve "inadequate" parts of its forthcoming 10.1-inch tablet after Apple unveiled the iPad 2 last week.

Specifically, Lee Don-joo, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division, said that it was the thinness of the new iPad that surprised the company the most. Apple's iPad 2 has a thickness of 8.8mm, or just 0.35 inches, which is a third smaller than the first-generation device.

Samsung's own Galaxy Tab, shown off at this year's Mobile World Congress, is listed at a similar weight, but slightly thicker at 0.44 inches. Despite Samsung's statement that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will not be delayed in the wake of the iPad 2, the company has not yet announced a release date for its forthcoming tablet, which will run Google Android 3.0 Honeycomb.
post #2 of 54
Nice. Samsung is going to start selling a product that its own executives have stated is inadequate.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #3 of 54
It won't be delayed because they haven't announced a release date! It's semantics!
post #4 of 54
It's not delayed... it's smooth...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's not delayed... it's smooth...

Quite smooth.
post #6 of 54
In related news, AT&T also provides legacy crappy coverage for iPad customers, no matter when you signed up for your data plan.
post #7 of 54
Still really curious how this will work. I have an unlimited iPhone 4 plan. $20/month for a tether option is actually too much, but I might byte (!) if in a pinch (!) if the tether option was offered month to month. I rather suspect I will be required to downgrade and sign up for continuous tethering.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It won't be delayed because they haven't announced a release date! It's semantics!

Exactly! Samsung can puff all it wants about no delays from its position of safety. but its actions speak much louder than its words: 7 inch tab was supposed to beat 9.7 inch iPad, but is now inadequate; .44 inch is, too! What about that lousy 6 hours of battery! Skinny up and cut it to 4.5 hours!
So, no delays, Sammy! No delays.
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Samsung's own Galaxy Tab, shown off at this year's Mobile World Congress, is listed at a similar weight, but slightly thicker at 0.44 inches.


In other words, it is a total porker. It is MUCH thicker than the iPad, and we all know that the iPad 3 will be thinner yet! These guys are always competing with Apple's old products, while Apple is busy working on the iPads 3. It is gonna be SWEET!
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

7 inch tab was supposed to beat 9.7 inch iPad, but is now inadequate; .44 inch is, too! What about that lousy 6 hours of battery! Skinny up and cut it to 4.5 hours!


Nobody can beat the iPad's specs. All they can do is to try to catch up, but by then, Apple will have pulled ahead again.
post #11 of 54
If you jailbreak your iPhone, eightzero, then you can tether unlimited data with MyWi from Cydia.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Reply
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Reply
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Still really curious how this will work. I have an unlimited iPhone 4 plan. $20/month for a tether option is actually too much, but I might byte (!) if in a pinch (!) if the tether option was offered month to month. I rather suspect I will be required to downgrade and sign up for continuous tethering.

You bet, I have unlimited on Ipad, want to keep it going so I dont have to be concerned with usage. I would love a monthly option to add tether, while keeping my monthly unlimited,(I know - more money to ATT), but it still aint gonna happen.
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It won't be delayed because they haven't announced a release date! It's semantics!

Exactly what I was going to say. With no release date announced, they CAN delay it but just insist that's when they were originally planning on releasing it whether that's true or not.

What a joke.
post #14 of 54
Off topic, but anyone else notice the giant Xoom ads on the main page?
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Off topic, but anyone else notice the giant Xoom ads on the main page?

I wish that they were all iAds. That would be sweet!
post #16 of 54
Just as long as I can transfer my unlimited 3G data plan from my iPad one to the first 4G iPad when it comes out down the road. Heh. Heh. Heh. :-p

I don't use 3G at home at all unless the cable goes out. Video looks HORRIBLE on 3G.

But I do use 3G in short bursts while riding the long island rail road into NYC or if I am in a cafe or somewhere in the city that is not within range of a free wifi hotspot.

Is there a way on the iPad to check how many gigs of data you've used up so far in the month? I've went into the settings icon and looked under the ATT cell data, but there was no button to check that.
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Off topic, but anyone else notice the giant Xoom ads on the main page?

iPAD 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running iOS which is a full generation behind Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy are available.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Still really curious how this will work. I have an unlimited iPhone 4 plan. $20/month for a tether option is actually too much, but I might byte (!) if in a pinch (!) if the tether option was offered month to month. I rather suspect I will be required to downgrade and sign up for continuous tethering.

That's my fear as I'm in the same position, though I'm less tempted to bite. I'm looking at getting an iPad 2 for some upcoming classes. Fortunately, everywhere I'm anticipating needing it has WiFi. I still think the carriers are milking us. Long-time AT&T iPhone customers should only be required to pay a minimal additional charge for tethering. $20/month and a downgrade from an unlimited plan seems like too high a price to pay.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #19 of 54
I hate to see tiered pricing plans. It should just be $20 unlimited with a warning for people who obviously abuse it. Those who decide to download every movie known to man can be surcharged and the rest of us can go about enjoying our meager usage.

If it were $10-$20 per month, a lot of people would just activate it and let it roll over. At $30 or more a month, most of us are going to activate it as-needed.

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Off topic, but anyone else notice the giant Xoom ads on the main page?

Nope, using ClickToFlash.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hate to see tiered pricing plans. It should just be $20 unlimited with a warning for people who obviously abuse it. Those who decide to download every movie known to man can be surcharged and the rest of us can go about enjoying our meager usage.

If it were $10-$20 per month, a lot of people would just activate it and let it roll over. At $30 or more a month, most of us are going to activate it as-needed.

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.

Agreed.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

ipad 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running ios which is a full generation behind honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as motorola xoom and samsung galaxy are available.

if thats what u think wtf aew u doing here?????
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

iPAD 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running iOS which is a full generation behind Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy are available.



You are either a very bad troll or a stawmam or you are being sarcastic. But I can't resist - I sure hope you got a bunch of RAM in your awesome tablet to handle your next generation os. Oh and I'm sure the game developers would agree with you regarding how great the os is - its soooo next generation.
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.

That would require AT&T execs to have knowledge of the basics of economies of scale...basic business practices 101 fail...
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

In related news, AT&T also provides legacy crappy coverage for iPad customers, no matter when you signed up for your data plan.

Maybe you live in a crappy area? Ever think of that, because my iPad 3G Unlimited Data for ATT coverage is just fine where I live and travel among the several cities comprising it. \

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

if thats what u think wtf aew u doing here?????

Don't feed the trolls. Just ignore him. That is what I do.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

If you jailbreak your iPhone, eightzero, then you can tether unlimited data with MyWi from Cydia.

Of course, that results in breaking your contract, which could result in your being kicked off the network entirely, or at worst, being sued for breach of contract. These things do happen.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

iPAD 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running iOS which is a full generation behind Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy are available.

Honeycomb specifically designed for tablets? 'Superior Alternatives' to iPad?!...

Honeycomb was just released by Google for tablets that are barely in production now because they no longer had their mole Eric Schmidt on Apple's BOD to know what the future holds for the computing/mobile/electronic world! Now that he is gone, Google had to race to catch up to what Apple releases because just like others, they can't lead the way, they have to be shown the way! And since Google lost that advantage, their specifically designed products are now only in the minds of Apple! Until Apple releases them, then Google and the others race to catch up...

It's a vicious circle.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Honeycomb specifically designed for tablets? 'Superior Alternatives' to iPad?!...

Honeycomb was just released by Google for tablets that are barely in production now because they no longer had their mole Eric Schmidt on Apple's BOD to know what the future holds for the computing/mobile/electronic world! Now that he is gone, Google had to race to catch up to what Apple releases because just like others, they can't lead the way, they have to be shown the way! And since Google lost that advantage, their specifically designed products are now only in the minds of Apple! Until Apple releases them, then Google and the others race to catch up...

It's a vicious circle.

segheAFSVC
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

Is there a way on the iPad to check how many gigs of data you've used up so far in the month? I've went into the settings icon and looked under the ATT cell data, but there was no button to check that.

DataMan. Great app. I have been using it for a couple of month. Highly recommended if you are on a limited data plan or trying to find which plan is the best. Well worth the price.

Found out that The Daily alone consumed over 25 MBs a day. Best to use someone elses WiFi if you have a limited plan.

Macworld review: http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app...2&expand=false
TUAW review: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/29/datam...for-data-caps/
PC World review: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ata_usage.html
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

Just as long as I can transfer my unlimited 3G data plan from my iPad one to the first 4G iPad when it comes out down the road. Heh. Heh. Heh. :-p

I don't use 3G at home at all unless the cable goes out. Video looks HORRIBLE on 3G.

But I do use 3G in short bursts while riding the long island rail road into NYC or if I am in a cafe or somewhere in the city that is not within range of a free wifi hotspot.

Is there a way on the iPad to check how many gigs of data you've used up so far in the month? I've went into the settings icon and looked under the ATT cell data, but there was no button to check that.

The best you can do is to go to the general settings and look at "usage". It gives you a running total. I'm not sure if that's just month to month or from the beginning, as I don't check it, so I don't know how much I'm using. But you can reset it at any time, so you can do this at the beginning of the month if it doesn't do this already.
post #32 of 54
Question about the ATT tethering with the iPad. I don't currently have an iPhone. Plan on waiting for the iPhone 5. But I do currently have a first gene 3G iPad with an unlimited data plan from ATT. I use the 3G, but not ALOT. But still, it's nice to have the unlimited plan for now.

However, i was curious about the tethering option once I do get an iPhone. As I understand, it's a $20 additional monthly fee on top of your regular iPhone plan. But can you start and stop it at anytime like the 3G iPad data plan? Or are you locked into a contract and have to pay for it every month for a year or two?

Also, how much data can be streamed for this $20 fee before you are overcharged? And how much per MB of data are you charged when it does?

Thanks
post #33 of 54
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1823790]AT&T revealed that it will continue to honor unlimited month-to-month 3G data plans for grandfathered cu
Today, 01:57 PM\t #19
bugsnw
Registered User
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

Question about the ATT tethering with the iPad. I don't currently have an iPhone. Plan on waiting for the iPhone 5. But I do currently have a first gene 3G iPad with an unlimited data plan from ATT. I use the 3G, but not ALOT. But still, it's nice to have the unlimited plan for now.

However, i was curious about the tethering option once I do get an iPhone. As I understand, it's a $20 additional monthly fee on top of your regular iPhone plan. But can you start and stop it at anytime like the 3G iPad data plan? Or are you locked into a contract and have to pay for it every month for a year or two?

Also, how much data can be streamed for this $20 fee before you are overcharged? And how much per MB of data are you charged when it does?

Thanks

That's something people here will have to go to AT&T's site and look up. Why don't you do that and report back?
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Nice. Samsung is going to start selling a product that its own executives have stated is inadequate.

That's okay. They've already been selling a tablet with an OS that was described by the OS maker's executives as inadequate.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hate to see tiered pricing plans. It should just be $20 unlimited with a warning for people who obviously abuse it. Those who decide to download every movie known to man can be surcharged and the rest of us can go about enjoying our meager usage.

If it were $10-$20 per month, a lot of people would just activate it and let it roll over. At $30 or more a month, most of us are going to activate it as-needed.

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.

I do understand why they might be reluctant to offer tethering on an unlimited plan. But there is a technological solution: limit the amount of data through the tether. Make it $20/month for 2GB of tethered data. Or even just allow a user ("customer?") switch on a monthly basis from an unlimited plan to a limited plan with tether.

Don't want to dork around with jailbreaking. Isn't really all that important.
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

Don't feed the trolls. Just ignore him. That is what I do.

Or, you can go to the top of the page and select User CP, then under Settings and Options, select Edit Ignore List and add his nic to your ignore list. A hidden bonus is if you are added to five or more ignore lists, you get notified that people are ignoring you.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

That's okay. They've already been selling a tablet with an OS that was described by the OS maker's executives as inadequate.

It's better to proclaim every product you make to be revolutionary and let people find out they don't like it, right?
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's better to proclaim every product you make to be revolutionary and let people find out they don't like it, right?

Huh? What are you inferring?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #40 of 54
I actually get much better data "reception" on my iPad then with my iPhone so I will likely keep the grandfathered unlimited plan for the iPad 2. When I spoke with ATT, they indicated that it will simply take a phone call to 800-331-0500 (iPad Cust. service), give them the Hardware information of the old a new devices and they will switch it for you RATHER than the mistake of swapping out sim cards. Customer support was very informative and helpful when I spoke to them. Maybe it was because it was a Sunday? Hope this helps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1